Thread: 50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

50/50 Challenge - 50 Books & 50 Movies in One Year

Some guidelines:

1) Um…What happens if I don’t read 50 books and watch 50 movies this year?
    Just like last year this is a personal challenge, so all we ask is that you try. No matter what, you’ll probably consume more books/movies than you’ve ever done before.

2) Why does it say and/or in the title?
    New for this year is that you don't have to do 50 of each - you can do 50 total. So if you don't think you can read that much or watch that much, go for the combined score of 50 total. Either way it's a win and you never know where you'll be at the end of the year.

3) Do I have to read the books, or can I just skim?
    I can see how this would be confusing. Oh wait, no. C’mon people, it’s a reading challenge! Same as fast-forwarding through a movie isn’t the same as really watching one, this is about taking the time to really enjoy. For the avoidance of doubt, please read the book for it count.

4) Do long books count as 2? What about movies?
    If your book is over 500 pages, you can count it as two books if you like. We still consider you an Overachiever. However, if the book is 2,000 pages, it’s still just two books — not four! We want to encourage you to read longer pieces. This answer has been posted for the benefit of all you Game of Thrones fanatics out there. Go forth and prosper or whatever it is. No matter the length, a movie is still just a (one, 1, “ONE”) movie. That said, installments in a movie series (example: the individual Godfather movies) would each snag an individual point. Go you.

5) Can I rewatch/reread?
    Of course you can rewatch and reread! If it's been more than ten years since you last saw the movie, count it!

5a) What if I'm a parent?
    If you're on the 25th viewing of Frozen, count them all! I've love to see those numbers.

6) What should I read/watch?
    Anything you like! Fiction, nonfiction, documentaries, graphic novels, technical manuals, the back of a shampoo bottle...ok, maybe not the shampoo bottle.

7) What if I want to watch television or play a game instead?
    Sure, throw them in the count. For games, use best judgement as to whether it's a book or movie and annotate the listing accordingly. Television is one season = one listing, unless it's released in two parts i.e. Breaking Bad part 1 and part 2.

A brief summary/rundown of favorites or disappointments is suggested but not required. Recommendations based on someone else's list are also welcome, so everyone can pretend to be Amazon. (You like this, we think you'll like that)

Suggested posting format:

01/50 Books

• sdfsdf
      sdfsdf

01/50 Movies

• sdfsdf
      sdfsdf

https://www.goodreads.com/allegate

Reading prompt:

Last edited by allegate; 03-24-2020 at 10:17 AM.