Thread: Trump 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Please tell me this is a joke
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/u...za-pardon.html

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Wait, what? These news cycles are getting really hard to follow. First the Pusha T thing (which I still don't fully understand) and now this.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Wait, what? These news cycles are getting really hard to follow. First the Pusha T thing (which I still don't fully understand) and now this.
    I'm not saying I agree with their implication - I'm also not saying I don't - I'm just simply sharing one person's analysis of this "story".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b03368a94e2be9

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Lost a decent amount of respect for Samantha Bee as a comedian for that tepid copypasta PR apology to Ivanka for calling her a 'feckless cunt.'

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    the right makes me chuckle with it's double standards they want Samantha "bee's head but the president can say grab the buy the pussy nugget, Roseanne and countless others can call hillary a cunt, no big deal tariffs go into effect Monday market is going plummet, adding to this his idiotic move against German auto makers and we could have a super disator i suggest you move your assets to crypt o currencies or your mattress
    -Louie

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'd love to see some actual stats on how many times Hillary (JUST Hillary, god knows they say that about a lot of Dem/Liberal/Progressive/Hollywood/not them women) was called a "cunt" or any variation thereof by the people complaining about Sam Bee.

Yeah, she shouldn't have said that. She shouldn't have given them fuel. I realize it was likely to point out a hypocrisy that they will never admit to. I know a lot of people are sick of the left being quick to apologize and play nice and all that, but this just wasn't a good move.
    No, vulgar language is not even close to the same level as racism. And the idea that "it's a slur against women, it's sexist, sexism is as bad as..." is just reaching, Sam Bee is a very outspoken feminist woman. She isn't sexist against women. It doesn't work that way.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Gee, I wonder why that's increased lately.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Lost a decent amount of respect for Samantha Bee as a comedian for that tepid copypasta PR apology to Ivanka for calling her a 'feckless cunt.'
    I had...and then Trump called for her firing, and I remembered how much worse he's said (and done). And you know what? I don't feel so bad about it anymore. We shouldn't make it a habit to fight fire with fire, but I think once in a great while, we can call a spade a spade (and given that tweet that Invanka put out that inspired Bee's commentary, I don't think it was an entirely undeserved criticism).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Something meta about Harry Seaward being upset about the word cunt.

Jesus.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Something meta about Harry Seaward being upset about the word cunt.
    No I'm upset that it was used in such a spooked, flinchey manner. If you're going to do that shit, own it.

This is one of the more transparent "Shit, I'm not sorry but I have to pretend to be" apologies yet.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Do we all realize the White House just now called for a privately-owned corporation to fire a media personality they employ that criticizes their political leaders, and quite possibly in retaliation for another network cancelling someone they liked? THAT IS TANTAMOUNT TO STATE CENSORSHIP. The actual ACTUAL censorship, not fake "I'm being CENSORED by the biased press!" censorship. Are we REALLY that disappointed with her for apologizing?

Also... what the FUCK just happened in that video up there?!? What questions did he field in those eight minutes between the two clips?

I feel like this is the beginning of the end.
    Last edited by botley; 06-01-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    I'm not surprised or confused by why Bee apologized, it just felt empty and disingenuous... like a form of kowtowing, and we all know the hand wringing and apologizing isn't sincere, and it shouldn't be. She's doing it because her bosses told her to. I wish she'd stuck to it, but it probably would have come at the expense of her job.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    I wouldn't have apologized. I would've said "I meant every fucking word I said". It seems like no one has balls to just tell it like it is. Right now, we're starting to live in a world that's becoming a Fascist state with our dictator pardoning this person and that person as a distraction and talk about fake news and all of that bullshit.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    I don't know what I would have done @thevoid99. Let's be real here. The top brass almost certainly made a phone call, and said that if she doesn't apologize full stop, her show is cancelled.

Maybe she felt that having that show and the soap box it provides was worth more than doubling down on the use of the word "cunt." There's some things that are worth going down in flames over... I don't think standing behind the use of a word that has a pretty harmful historical implementation would have done her any favors in that position. She would have been known as the comedian who got fired for using that word, and meanwhile the Trump camp would have a bbq to celebrate shutting her up.

It's a shit situation either way, but I'd rather her still have her mouthpiece. It's like when Bill Maher got roasted for saying "work in the fields? Oh no sir, I'm a house n*****." The reference was to a line from Gone With the Wind, but the outrage blew that explanation out of the water. It's a word so loaded I don't even feel comfortable typing it out. He didn't even bother trying to explain the reference. He just apologized, and invited guests to shame him for his ignorance.

We all moved on. Nobody really remembers that episode where Maher sheepishly asked to be dragged over the coals. This instance seems to be getting more mainstream traction, but it's the timing w/ the Roseanne thing. I'd rather not see Samantha Bee hitch herself to that dumpster fire.

Edit: On a side note, Sally Field's response to the whole controversy was pretty damn perfect. https://twitter.com/sally_field?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-01-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    God bless Sally Field. An American treasure.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Trump 2018

I don't know what I would have done @thevoid99. Let's be real here. The top brass almost certainly made a phone call, and said that if she doesn't apologize full stop, her show is cancelled.

Maybe she felt that having that show and the soap box it provides was worth more than doubling down on the use of the word "cunt." There's some things that are worth going down in flames over... I don't think standing behind the use of a word that has a pretty harmful historical implementation would have done her any favors in that position. She would have been known as the comedian who got fired for using that word, and meanwhile the Trump camp would have a bbq to celebrate shutting her up.

It's a shit situation either way, but I'd rather her still have her mouthpiece. It's like when Bill Maher got roasted for saying "work in the fields? Oh no sir, I'm a house n*****." The reference was to a line from Gone With the Wind, but the outrage blew that explanation out of the water. It's a word so loaded I don't even feel comfortable typing it out. He didn't even bother trying to explain the reference. He just apologized, and invited guests to shame him for his ignorance.

We all moved on. Nobody really remembers that episode where Maher sheepishly asked to be dragged over the coals. This instance seems to be getting more mainstream traction, but it's the timing w/ the Roseanne thing. I'd rather not see Samantha Bee hitch herself to that dumpster fire.

Edit: On a side note, Sally Field's response to the whole controversy was pretty damn perfect. https://twitter.com/sally_field?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    I remember the episode. Ice cube told him just because you dated a black woman doesn’t mean you get to be comfortable throwing that word around. I feel like bill could’ve been more apologetic but he did take it on that episode.

Name calling is always the worst way to make your point. Samantha bee has been a name caller from the start. It didn’t even phase me that she said that on this week’s episode. I think she’s funny and dead on right most of the time but name calling and jokes about people’s physical appearance are low brow imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    again the rights full on hipocracy always makes me smile (i guess is the word) smirk i guess is better, look SB dropped the "C" bomb, i get that offends people. look ABC/Disney is a huge corp that just made a huge amount of money catering to a black audience with black panther I think the shocking is the speed they moved, i think the crazy age we live in most people should handover their phone to their PR rep. look I don't think Rosanne is all there as a friend once said," not only is she a couple shy of a six pack, she is missing the little plastic thingy that holds it all together". I'm look I'm tired of excuses for bad behavior starting with trump, she made her apologizes lets move on. lets instead focus on why and what she said like invanaka's dad policies ripping families apart because someone was born at an arbitrary place on the globe. that somehow doesn't gel with your insides snowflake, some days I'm glad I don't have a voice. Because i would have given no apology.
    -Louie

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is pathetic

It's sad to see that if some of you were in the same position, you wouldn't of apologize.

Because this is fucking immature, disrespectful and downright stupid for her to call someone, i don't fucking care who it was, something like this.

I don't care about if there was double standards or not, i don't care what political party she was, she could of been the new fucking hip party down at the supermarket for all I care and i don't care about the fact that she said it to the first lady in the sense that she deserved it

You people are better than this, you can poke fun or whatever...but theres a fucking limit and calling anyone a cunt is well over the fucking limit.

Now i await the comments about me being "a special snowflake in need of a safespace"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    We've seen that there is no limit to the horrible things that Trump and his family will say about all sorts of people. Why should ANYONE have to apologize to them? He and his family have no respect for what it means to be in a position of power and prominence. They deserve whatever mockery they receive.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-02-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Thing is guys, this isn't the first time Samantha Bee has used the word. There's a major "squirrel!" moment happening here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Thing is guys, this isn't the first time Samantha Bee has used the word. There's a major "squirrel!" moment happening here.
    Yep. She's known for being crass, so it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. This is definitely meant to be a distraction though, just like all of the bullshit surrounding Roseanne.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    This is pathetic

It's sad to see that if some of you were in the same position, you wouldn't of apologize.

Because this is fucking immature, disrespectful and downright stupid for her to call someone, i don't fucking care who it was, something like this.

I don't care about if there was double standards or not, i don't care what political party she was, she could of been the new fucking hip party down at the supermarket for all I care and i don't care about the fact that she said it to the first lady in the sense that she deserved it

You people are better than this, you can poke fun or whatever...but theres a fucking limit and calling anyone a cunt is well over the fucking limit.

Now i await the comments about me being "a special snowflake in need of a safespace"
    Speaking of being better than this: Wouldn’t have. Could have. There’s no “of” involved here.

This keeps me from taking you and your argument seriously but let’s say I do take your argument seriously. There’s problems there too. It’s not a double standard in this case with Roseanne. Racism is not equal to profanity. Ivanka isn’t the First Lady. How many shirts were the LCDs wearing during the run up to the election with horrible words describing HRC? How many times has Trump used “cunt?” How many times has he spoke inappropriately about Ivanka? Fuck him. Fuck his supporters. Fuck his shitty family.
    Last edited by Swykk; 06-02-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Something I’ve also seen people try to say to make it look like Sam’s language was somehow so haneous is that it’s the president’s daughter, I actually saw someone on Facebook ask “what if someone on Fox called one of Obama’s daughters that word?”
    Ivanka is a grown woman. She is not a child. She is not some innocent person in this administration. SHE HAS A POSITION IN THE WHITE HOUSE. Her inaction politically combined with her tone-deaf photo op with her kid during the explosive discussion about the administration tearing children from their mothers with no indication of when it ever they will be reunited, yeah that makes her a feckless cunt. I said it. They can fuck off with this outrage over it. Trump’s base is just pissed that we were mean to the crowned princess of the US.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm lost here, I suppose you guy have a point. I'll be honest, I have no fucking idea who Bee is, I don't pay attention. It's probably why I tend to stay out of trying to talk about politics because more often then not, I have no idea what the fuck im saying and I try to make sense out of what little I actually know. I guess that's what happens to me, I see something I think is wrong morally....but I fail to see the bigger picture of whats going on. So I do apologize for that. I guess I'm just stuck in the "can't we all just get along" that it kinda.......blocks me from thinking....well....seeing anything else.

Still, I think there are better ways of trying to get your point across...that's just how I am, my devil's advocate works in weird ways, and honestly, I wouldn't change it. But I guess I should just stick with what I do know instead of trying to make it seem like I know what I'm doing, I honestly thought I got over that.

Again, I apologize

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't pay attention.
    That much is obvious.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I guess I'm just stuck in the "can't we all just get along"
    I used to be like that. Honest, I’m a tree-hugging hippie. Literally. But what is going on right now goes far beyond “can’t we all just get along”. You gotta be able to call bullshit when you see it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know, and it was my ignorance for not seeing it. I fucked up, I will always call myself out when I have made a mistake. I fuck up, we all do sometimes, and I know I can learn from this. I can call bullshit, and tbf, when I wrote that, I had just woken up like 5 minutes ago, so I was still a bit groggy. Bare in mind that the reason why I dont like to pay attention to it is because it causes unnecessary stress on me. I'm already on edge about my mental health, I dont need any more stress than I already have. Maybe im ignorant and a coward for that, I dunno, just how I am.

Im not afraid to call out bullshit, far from it, ive done it many times on here. But I also need to learn what the fuck is going on before I call out my bullshit...which obviously, I didn't do here.

Long story short, I fucked up, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That much is obvious.
    It happens. A lot of the times with me is that i tend to over think or try to make too much logic or try to use too much "common sense" that it becomes really stupid. It honestly sounded fine in my head which is really common with people with Aspergers like me (not sure if Void has that problem)

All you have to do is call me out on how full of shit i am and I'll agree with you more often than not. It might take a few but i usually see my errors.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Okay just listened to a Trump address moaning about obstruction of the Democrats to his appointments - like Obama never had Republican obstruction??? Also he says they’re denying the will of the people - uhh you lost the popular vote mate even with Russian help - fuck off Trump

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    i've lost all faith in our current concept of democracy and government, to see show's that i once respected like meet the press to have Rudy go on and argue that a president can't obstruct justice, pardon anyone and do whatever he wants sounds a lot like a dictatorship to me? but i guess i'm wrong. i'll put my head back and hope we come to our collective senses soon but i don't have much hope.
    -louie