Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 214

Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)

    How to Make Music with Your Computer

    Resurrecting the thread dedicated to music tech and computer-based production!

    Xmas came early this year
    Lemur for iPad

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zOdRwgIRQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Xmas came early this year
    Lemur for iPad
    It's $49.99

    Here is the link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any here ever use Sony Acid Music Maker?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malechite View Post
    It's $49.99
    And worth every penny. I'd almost given up hope that they'd do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    Any here ever use Sony Acid Music Maker?
    yes, but it was a long time ago, so I'm not sure how helpful I could be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    And worth every penny. I'd almost given up hope that they'd do it.
    Oh totally. I was just posting so people wouldn't have to look for it

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdsctt View Post
    Any here ever use Sony Acid Music Maker?
    I used Sonic Foundry Acid when it first came out, and I used a couple versions after Sony bought them, But I probably haven't used it in 6 years or so.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Brighton, UK
    Posts
    276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is probably going to be really vague, but can anyone recommend any good midi / sampling software? My computer recently died and I lost everything on it, and also picked up some mpc pads (Akai Mpd18). Everything I download is either a trial version or needs a code (the whole keygen thing just blows my mind). obviously in the new year i'll start putting my hand in my pocket but until then can anyone recommend anything to just get started ? Thanks in advance

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    This is probably going to be really vague, but can anyone recommend any good midi / sampling software? My computer recently died and I lost everything on it, and also picked up some mpc pads (Akai Mpd18). Everything I download is either a trial version or needs a code (the whole keygen thing just blows my mind). obviously in the new year i'll start putting my hand in my pocket but until then can anyone recommend anything to just get started ? Thanks in advance
    Not exactly sure what you need, just a DAW host program I assume. If you need cheap/free, look at Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    How are they selling it for so cheap? That's insane

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha. No idea. They also don't limit the software in any way for their 30-day trial. I haven't used Reaper, though I've heard great things. Ableton man here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I received a Korg Monotron as a gift this holiday. It's fun, though not quite as actually 'useful' as I was hoping. That said, I haven't even plugged it into my Firebox yet or thrown any effects on it. Also the fact that I can run audio through it's filter is very interesting, because that filter screams.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixate View Post
    I received a Korg Monotron as a gift this holiday. It's fun, though not quite as actually 'useful' as I was hoping. That said, I haven't even plugged it into my Firebox yet or thrown any effects on it. Also the fact that I can run audio through it's filter is very interesting, because that filter screams.
    I'd love to have a play with one, just for the filter on existing audio, not so interested in the actual synth part which doesn't look very usuable.
    The new Delay model looks pretty swell too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNXOI1AIjKo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixate View Post
    I received a Korg Monotron as a gift this holiday. It's fun, though not quite as actually 'useful' as I was hoping. That said, I haven't even plugged it into my Firebox yet or thrown any effects on it. Also the fact that I can run audio through it's filter is very interesting, because that filter screams.
    if you're good with electronics, you could try doing a crazy mod on it

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    2,033
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Love the monotron, its a part of my live setup
    usually run it through my Korg KP3 fx unit and put some modulation and delays on it for crazy extra tweaks
    And yeah its great for the techies out there to mod and expand

    Ableton is my main writing and mixing tool, which I control with an Akai APC40, Korg NanoPad, and Novation ReMote 25SL
    Also got a Korg Kaoss Pad Quad and handheld Kaossilator for fucking around live over my main tracks

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,780
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    How are they selling it for so cheap? That's insane
    One of the guys who does Reaper wrote Winamp, and was hired by AOL for something like 22 million when he was 23 yrs old. the reaper team is very small (2 people?) last I looked, so they don't need a lot to operate with I guess. If I wasn't so familiar with Vegas, Reaper would be what I worked with

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Has anyone played with NI's Razor synth? I'm tempted to just buy it, even though I probably shouldn't for budget reasons. I feel like a demo would help me make up my mind, but there isn't one.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    I've been making stuff with Reason for the past 6-7 years, or at least trying to. I've had good results and I've had shit. I need to get a new computer (mine is on its very last legs, being about as old as my first Reason dabblings) and install my early-2000's copy of Cubase on it. That shit and its synth/effect plugins has ALWAYS done right by me!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    2,932
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    To be clear, I use physical instruments as well, only not recently, as I have no means of recording... When I was in a band, though, Cubase was great for chopping and cutting and reworking shit!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    If you want a cool, freeware, cross-platform MIDI and tablature/score maker, check out TuxGuitar: http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

    It's a great program, compatible with GuitarPro files (up to version 5) and can export to .mid as well. It's fast and easy to use. You can make entire songs with just your keyboard and mouse, and then export the .mid's to any DAW. I load them up in Ableton Live and VST the shit out of them!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    This changes everything. finally.

    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cuba...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixate View Post
    I received a Korg Monotron as a gift this holiday. It's fun, though not quite as actually 'useful' as I was hoping. That said, I haven't even plugged it into my Firebox yet or thrown any effects on it. Also the fact that I can run audio through it's filter is very interesting, because that filter screams.
    Which one - the base unit, the duo or the delay? I've got the delay. I like playing with it, but I can't see it being useful if/when I actually get something recorded, not least because splicing it into my pipeline will be a real faff, versus using a VST delay instead. On the other hand, I'm too much of a newb to actually use a DAW yet, so perhaps I will.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    653
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Recently bought the Korg Monotribe. It's a lot of fun. I made a quick demo with it (plus guitar and some drums):

    www.elbarian.de/011.wav

    All electronic elements I made with the Monotribe. Even the bass. This thing has a lot of potential...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Which one - the base unit, the duo or the delay? I've got the delay. I like playing with it, but I can't see it being useful if/when I actually get something recorded, not least because splicing it into my pipeline will be a real faff, versus using a VST delay instead. On the other hand, I'm too much of a newb to actually use a DAW yet, so perhaps I will.
    It was the base one, had it before the duo or delay were released. It's been sitting in the box for some time. Oh well.

    Right now I am in love with Maschine. I grabbed a cheap Mikro mk1 off ebay shortly after the mk2's came out. I can stand and turn to this table and barely need to look at the screen or touch the mouse when playing anymore. It's so nice:

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Sweet. Is the meeblip SE any good? I'm considering selling my Alesis Micron and getting a different synth, one with more knobs on. I want to learn more about programming synths and the micron is too tough to use for a beginner or without a computer IMHO. The meeblip appeals because it has lots of knobs (Rationale: as a beginner, you want to turn a random know and figure out what impact that has on the sound. With the Micron, you need to know what "pre-filter cutoff" means to go and navigate to it and adjust it), and also the open source aspect. The downside would be the cost. I'd be getting either that or a microkorg.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    this cubase app for ipad is prettttttttty amazing.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Sweet. Is the meeblip SE any good? I'm considering selling my Alesis Micron and getting a different synth, one with more knobs on. I want to learn more about programming synths and the micron is too tough to use for a beginner or without a computer IMHO. The meeblip appeals because it has lots of knobs (Rationale: as a beginner, you want to turn a random know and figure out what impact that has on the sound. With the Micron, you need to know what "pre-filter cutoff" means to go and navigate to it and adjust it), and also the open source aspect. The downside would be the cost. I'd be getting either that or a microkorg.
    Well I love it. But I've also seen a lot of people hating on it pretty good. Could be because besides that my Mopho is my only other hardware synth, so I can't complain about it too much. It's very digital (because it is), and I like that. Like you say, I was ready for something with more knobs, and have a lot of fun twiddling on the fly. I don't have a lot of experience with the Microkorg, so I can't really compare. Either should be a little less obnoxious to program than the Micron.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    705
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    this cubase app for ipad is prettttttttty amazing.
    unnnf more apps to check out.. I waste so much money on damn music apps.. I bought that 48 track one the other day and have barely touched it, that an iMPC. I do find myself making noodles with Figure tho

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,595
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Just noticed most Korg and Moog iOS apps are half price atm, and a bunch of others that I watch (SunVox,…) have also reduced. Are any of them worth buying?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Just noticed most Korg and Moog iOS apps are half price atm, and a bunch of others that I watch (SunVox,) have also reduced. Are any of them worth buying?
    Animoog is a lot of fun. I haven't messed with many Korg apps, but iPolysix looks really nice.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,027
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    SunVox is amazing. In fact, if those are all on sale, they're all worth it. I like the MS-20 and I really like the Electribe, and the Animoog is much cooler than you might original think (though I got lucky and got it when it was $1). Still, I need to download the update, because the new features look pretty great.

    But SunVox? Most definitely. Get.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Posting Permissions