Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I missed this discussion about iPad music making from a bit back, but seriously Patterning alone justifies the price of an iPad.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I made an English-language tutorial on how to make a surround mix using Ableton Live!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Any recommended third-party plugins/audio units for Logic X?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Bought iZotope Neutron (basic one), should help with my mixing "skills" a bit. :-)

Also, in the meantime I also have my first Apple product, iPad Air, just because Korg Gadget, DM1 and Patterning (so far).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Maschine jam looks cool. Irritating that it's a different size than the studio. I'll probably get it tho and then upgrade to the jam studio in a year..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    okay there is this part of this rasputina song that i want to shamelessly steal, this noise.
    it's the droning pig-like sound in the chorus. it sounds kind of like the noise in reptile.

Can one of you tell me how to recreate it?
    @Leviathant @Jinsai @wizfan @Mantra

it was, i think, made by Chris Vrenna, hence the nin similarity.

It's like the last thing i need for this new song, and the help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-27-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    okay there is this part of this rasputina song that i want to shamelessly steal, this noise.
    it's the droning pig-like sound in the chorus. it sounds kind of like the noise in reptile.

Can one of you tell me how to recreate it?
    @Leviathant @Jinsai @wizfan @Mantra

it was, i think, made by Chris Vrenna, hence the nin similarity.

It's like the last thing i need for this new song, and the help would be much appreciated.
    Saturation and distortion that will let you adjust band resonance till you get the harmonics to freak out. Cut almost all the lows, then high pass slow filter sweep around the point where the resonant distortion madness is happening. Adjust to taste.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Saturation and distortion that will let you adjust band resonance till you get the harmonics to freak out. Cut almost all the lows, then high pass slow filter sweep around the point where the resonant distortion madness is happening. Adjust to taste.
    i am a singer/songwriter who adds electronic beats and bass and synths, so i understood about half of that, lol.

This may be a stupid question, but what should the original sound be?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    i am a singer/songwriter who adds electronic beats and bass and synths, so i understood about half of that, lol.

Almost anything that hits the full bandwidth... You're gonna have to cut all the lows completely, everything below 200 or so hz. That's what you'll do with most non-sub-bass frequencies anyway as a rule, but not usually so low if you want to maintain the lower character of the sound. But here, this is clearly a mid-high range swell you're talking about. Then distort the sound around the range where the frequency cut sweep will end. This makes the upper harmonics sizzle as you sweep the cutoff.

What DAW are you using? I could make the sound for you and you could do an "autopsy."

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Almost anything that hits the full bandwidth... You're gonna have to cut all the lows completely, everything below 200 or so hz. That's what you'll do with most non-sub-bass frequencies anyway as a rule, but not usually so low if you want to maintain the lower character of the sound. But here, this is clearly a mid-high range swell you're talking about. Then distort the sound around the range where the frequency cut sweep will end. This makes the upper harmonics sizzle as you sweep the cutoff.

What DAW are you using? I could make the sound for you and you could do an "autopsy."
    i make most everything on my QY, remember? ;P
    Then i record it with my Zoom and i put everything together just in audacity.

I have FL Studio 10 and i use it sometimes. I'm just so addicted to that little sequencer and i know how to use it, you know? I know how to get it to make sounds that it wasn't intended to make. I have that ipad with those hundreds of programs on it too, but i keep coming back to my QY.

You would be my hero if you would make such a sound for me. I've actually been looking for a place from which to sample it and then change it, but the sound is never by itself in any song that i come across.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Ok I'll make some variations on that "sort of sound" np

im not really sure what that kind of sound is called

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Ok I'll make some variations on that "sort of sound" np

im not really sure what that kind of sound is called
    Thanks man!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Nothing to back it up, but I always thought those Reptile squeaks along with "the" riff were inspired by (maybe even sampled from) the "camera flash" noise from the opening scene of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (starting at 1:14 here ). You guys could try playing around with that.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Nothing to back it up, but I always thought those Reptile squeaks along with "the" riff were inspired by (maybe even sampled from) the "camera flash" noise from the opening scene of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (starting at 1:14 here ). You guys could try playing around with that.
    well i'll be goddamned.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    ok... so what are the black friday deals?

So far,

iZotope Trash 2: $29
    Waves: tons of discounts... platinum bundle is only 500 (with 50 dollars off additional)
    Eventide: lots of stuff on discount... including purchase plans that would make the Anthology X bundle super cheap
    Sound Toys: 50% off
    Native Instruments: 50% off on a lot of stuff (no Komplete upgrade though...)
    Sugar Bytes: everything is 70 bucks right now

Most of this (and a bunch more) listed over on pluginboutique

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So, let's talk surround sound... inside your head!

I've been toying around with Noise Makers Binauralizer. They have some awesome Vimeo previews on their site for all their plugins. Binauralizer can create binaural stereo out of surround mixes and vice versa. I used it to fold some NIN 5.1 mixes down to binaural stereo. It does get a little muddy in the high end (can be fixed with some EQ'ing), but as far as creating a surround soundstage in your head goes, it's pretty damn accurate, and much better than Dolby Headphone and all those cheap "3D virtual headphone surround" bullshit. I have uploaded some excerpts of Closer, The Becoming, In Motion and A Minute to Breathe so you can hear for yourselves. I used different Gain settings on each one to avoid clipping, but left all other settings to Default. You can use any kind of headphones or earbuds with these (haven't tried them on speakers):

Reznor Binauralized

Another pretty damn good upmix/downmix plugin is Waves' DTS Neural. I don't think it does binaural, but it has the incredible ability to fold down surround mixes and then unfold them with great accuracy.
    Last edited by wizfan; 11-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I always wanted Korg Wavestation, preferably A/D, browsing eBay from time to time... and now I finally have one. For USD 20 from iTunes. :-) I find myself just sustaining the sequences with some super simple tones on top of it and smiling like stupid, perfect. :-D Works also inside Korg Gadget. I just think I'll have to buy Korg plugKEY finally, and using my Microsampler as keyboard (can be battery powered too, so portable studio).

This iPad thingy is kinda cool, ya know man. I was "hardware all the way" for a (too) long time, but it would be stupid to miss things like this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Really good, motivating video about how not to be like me, how to actually RECORD something:

From: http://therecordingrevolution.com/ma...indset-shifts/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Last year I did a music challenge, and that really cleared the cobwebs from my brain, made me a better musician. Being held accountable (by a ticking timer) each week eventually lead to the best year I have ever had creatively. But I DID hate it, it was hard, it sucked, some of the music sucks, but I'm still now just decompressing and reviewing things and it was great. Some peeps are running a new challenge here : https://streak.club/s/831/weekly-music-2017
    I'm not gonna do it again (this year at least, my partner would probably kill me) but it basically taught me everything in the video above and I'm not gonna let everything I learnt slide back into apathy like I did for years..

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    holy shit... Scheps 73, where have you been all my life?!

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    holy shit... Scheps 73, where have you been all my life?!
    I remember seeing , and it definitely impressed me. Interesting to see it pop up on my radar again

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I remember seeing , and it definitely impressed me. Interesting to see it pop up on my radar again
    I bought it on a lark while it was on sale... And kinda forgot about it (my Waves folder is bloated as hell with stuff I will probably never get around to using). After five minutes with this plugin, I can't imagine working without it.

Though a friend of mine just recommended I also check out the Slate Digital version of the 1073, which I guess I have because I just subscribed to their "Everything Bundle," which is a pretty good deal at 15 dollars a month. I used to hate the idea of subscription services, but the value in this one is insane.

But I stand fully impressed by the Scheps emulation. Most Waves stuff I'd say is overpriced, and really only worth picking up when it's on sale. This thing is worth every penny.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    this is a random shot in the dark, but does anyone have any plugin recommendations for removing (what sounds like) overly gain staged and clipping audio? I've tried Z-Noise by waves and ERA-N, neither of which are doing the job at all.

I suppose the obvious go-to would be iZotope Rx, but since I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to fix this one screw-up...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I suppose the obvious go-to would be iZotope Rx, but since I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to fix this one screw-up...
    Rx is such black magic though. Some schlub drops their pencil during a quiet piano recital? Gone! Recording a choral piece and a truck backs up next to your building? Erase those beeps!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah... maybe the demo version will hold me through the mix down process, and if it comes in clutch enough, it'll be worth a purchase at a later date

EDIT: actually, I guess the "plugin bundle" version of Rx isn't too bad price-wise... hopefully that will cover the bases...
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-17-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a question for all y'all DAW heads in here: What is literally the lowest bitrate/bandwidth/codec/setting you can render a playable audio file? It doesn't have to be playable in iTunes or a media player per se. Just at the least within DAW and have the smallest file size possible.

As an experiment I want to compose something specifically to sound decent or recognizable as music within the lowest settings possible.

So far in Reaper it seems like OGG Opus in mono at 6kbps/8khz. Sounds gnarly but the experiment is to see the ways limitation would change how I compose, as well as making some sort of artistic observation about audiophile/high res blah blah. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Bitcrushers will get you to as low a bitrate as you like.
    There's probably some kind of EQ with the hardest of knees that will let you set the frequency ceiling to whatever you choose.

You can emulate one of the effects of bitcrushing, kind of, by doing a dramatic reduction of volume (via processing, not through dynamic effects like volume envelopes), and then normalize the resulting waveform. I used to do that shit in Sound Forge back before plugins were a thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh right, duh. I was thinking in render only, but I can bit crush it all too. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    So, let's talk surround sound... inside your head! (...)
    Hey, nice to see someone else interested into this sort of thing! I'm a sound engineer (mostly classical music recording but also VR post and other stuff). The Noisemakers stuff is good, I used it to do a binaural mix of a classical music competition recently (you can listen to a cello concerto here).
    Have you gone further with your experiments?