Thread: Your 2017 in music

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Your 2017 in music

Needless to say this has been a crazy year. I was wondering, be it personal or concerning *gestures wildly at the world* what's outside our doors, what music or songs have spoken to you more than every because of the nuttiness and the shifting ground beneath all of us.

This is the first to come to mind for me. This came up randomly on my iPod the night of Obama's last speech as president. I couldn't bear to listen to the speech for emotional reasons and somehow this song kind of spoke to the moment, and has come back to me quite a few times this year so far.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Good question. My 2017 has been insane. I started the year with the death of a close friend, then moved out on my own for the first time, and have dealt with severe depression and came close to committing suicide once. Oh yeah, and Trump. Goddamn Trump. Anyway, here's my (abbreviated) list. Not the most cheery list, but these tracks have definitely helped me out this year.

Austerity Blues-A Silver Mt. Zion
    Lonesome Tears-Beck
    Nobody Wants You When You're Down And Out-Bobby Womack
    Radio, Radio-Elvis Costello & The Attractors
    Various Storms & Saints-Florence + The Machine
    Drinker's Peace-Guided By Voices
    Need You Now-Hot Chip
    Cold Fog-Jounce
    American Dream-LCD Soundsystem
    Never Say Goodbye-My Bloody Valentine
    This Isn't The Place-Nine Inch Nails
    Goodbye, Horses-Q Lazzarus
    Hold On-Romananthony
    Thursday In The Danger Room-Run The Jewels
    Burundi-Saul Williams
    Slomo-Slowdive
    Lord, Can You Hear Me-Spiritualized
    Pull Up The Roots-Talking Heads
    Impossible Winner-The Dead Weather
    This Corrosion-The Sisters Of Mercy
    Trouble-TV On The Radio

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Listened to this last night, and it gave me some good perspective on what's happened and what's to come.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Oh yeah, and Trump. Goddamn Trump.
    i really try to steer clear of anything political, but when i see vague ridiculous comments like this it pisses me off. please elaborate, how exactly did trump ruin your year (other than the annoying media coverage) please provide an example of how when you woke/wake in the morning he adversely affected/s your daily life?

dont get me wrong, i love nin and trent but its no different when he calls trump a "vulgar monster"....DID HE FORGET HE'S THE GUY WHO GOT FAMOUS FOR SINGING "I WANNA FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL"?? drives me fucking nuts.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    but when i see vague ridiculous comments like this it pisses me off
    Hang on. Let me dig in my bag for a fuck to give.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i really try to steer clear of anything political, but when i see vague ridiculous comments like this it pisses me off. please elaborate, how exactly did trump ruin your year (other than the annoying media coverage) please provide an example of how when you woke/wake in the morning he adversely affected/s your daily life?
    So we're not allowed to have empathy for the millions of people already and soon to be affected by the myriad of racist immigration policies enacted that hurt brown people, immigrants and refugees? Or how about empathy for the millions of people, and this will include alot of us directly, that are about to be fucked by this new tax scam for the uber rich? How about a general bad feeling I have every day over the gutting of our EPA and the monsters that have been installed there? Related to that, how about the embarrassment I felt when I spoke to my good friends in Austria after this asshole pulled us out of the Paris Accords?

I'll continue. How about how much time and frustration millions of rational, good-hearted people now spend every day discussing this monster amongst friends, and the anger and stress that comes out of that? How about when a woman was killed by a white supremacist, and the president defended people on their side of the rioting that day? You don't think that can adversely affect people that were not involved that day? Empathy is a real thing.

How about that disgusting military spending bill he wanted & got that gave them ANOTHER $80 billion to waste. That's federal money that would fund dozens of worthwhile programs that will help people all over this country, from hings like CHIP on down to simple infrastructure projects. These things every real people every day. That's more healthcare for kids, or a job fixing a road that keeps a guy employed for a year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    So we're not allowed to have empathy for the millions of people already and soon to be affected by the myriad of racist immigration policies enacted that hurt brown people, immigrants and refugees? Or how about empathy for the millions of people, and this will include alot of us directly, that are about to be fucked by this new tax scam for the uber rich? How about a general bad feeling I have every day over the gutting of our EPA and the monsters that have been installed there? Related to that, how about the embarrassment I felt when I spoke to my good friends in Austria after this asshole pulled us out of the Paris Accords?

I'll continue. How about how much time and frustration millions of rational, good-hearted people now spend every day discussing this monster amongst friends, and the anger and stress that comes out of that? How about when a woman was killed by a white supremacist, and the president defended people on their side of the rioting that day? You don't think that can adversely affect people that were not involved that day? Empathy is a real thing.

How about that disgusting military spending bill he wanted & got that gave them ANOTHER $80 billion to waste. That's federal money that would fund dozens of worthwhile programs that will help people all over this country, from hings like CHIP on down to simple infrastructure projects. These things every real people every day. That's more healthcare for kids, or a job fixing a road that keeps a guy employed for a year.
    Paragraph 1 - I do believe its become evident that changes need be made...yes, when change occurs it doesnt always benefit everyone but thus is the case given the current climate. look at what has gone on in europe with the influx of these "immigrants", they dont assimilate to their new surroundings they've actually become a massive detriment (im putting this lightly). ive read bits and pieces of the new tax plan, and with the exception of the lowest income earners it works out to a small % gain for most (anything is better than nothing). Not knowing your situation i cant really comment but for a vast majority this will be beneficial.

Paragraph 2 - that can be said for any of the self serving politicians in our nations history, theyre all "in it" for themselves and their friends/supporters...anyone who chooses not to believe that is naive. that goes for dems and the gop. they will do what is best for themselves each time, every time. so, not a trump issue...a politicians issue.

Paragraph 3 - do we need to really dive into the trillions that our previous clown wasted (i'll give you a hint, it's more than any president in americas history)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Why did I start this thread

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Why did I start this thread
    You started it so people could commiserate about a relatively shitty year and the music that got us through it, at least that's why I assume you made it. Sorry some asshat decided to derail it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I found myself revisiting Antichrist Superstar for the first time in a few years, just felt extremely current thematically for things going on in 2017 from my perspective. Other than that 2017 musically for me was a lot of Death Grips, general 80's/90's era industrial/goth, and exploring the Wax Trax! back catalog.

Also, sorry to add on but I've gotta say to center27j, if you're going to use a lyric from Reznor's past to lessen his expressing his opinion on Trump as it "drives you fucking nuts" well, what drives me nuts is we've got a guy that is on record saying you can grab 'em by the pussy and previously was a reality show star/beauty pageant host now he's able to be the so-called leader of the free world and shape domestic and international policies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YouOftenForget View Post

Also, sorry to add on but I've gotta say to center27j, if you're going to use a lyric from Reznor's past to lessen his expressing his opinion on Trump as it "drives you fucking nuts" well, what drives me nuts is we've got a guy that is on record saying you can grab 'em by the pussy and previously was a reality show star/beauty pageant host now he's able to be the so-called leader of the free world and shape domestic and international policies.
    im not defending or supporting it...just pointing out it seems pretty hypocritical (again, i love nin and those lyrics). just an observation.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    im not defending or supporting it...just pointing out it seems pretty hypocritical (again, i love nin and those lyrics). just an observation.
    Hypocritical to hold the "leader of the free world" to a higher standard of composure and behaviour? We'll have to agree to disagree about that, I suppose. "Worse than Clinton in prime time", as Lou Reed once said.

Quite a few of my favourite bands put out lots of really exciting, cool stuff in 2017. It was a great year for music that allowed me to explore new ideas and feel positively about the future, even when it seemed like the world outside my window was falling to shit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hypocritical to hold the "leader of the free world" to a higher standard of composure and behaviour? We'll have to agree to disagree about that, I suppose. "Worse than Clinton in prime time", as Lou Reed once said.
    there is some serious "selective" reading comprehension on this board.

you're making statements that are completely irrelevant to my pt and somehow convincing yourself theyre correct. laughable
    Last edited by center27j; 01-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

you're making statements that are completely irrelevant to my pt and somehow convincing yourself theyre correct. laughable
    dude! quit derailing the thread! christ.

2017 in music was underwhelming for me. glad for lcd soundsystem's triumphant return. was perplexed by everything now. discovered a new favorite in code orange. that's all she wrote.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Says the guy who saw a small portion of my post and decided he had to take issue with it. For someone who tries to steer clear of politics, you sure have no problem arguing about them in threads where it's not at all necessary.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Lemme tell ya somethin:
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-07-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    so ok.
    last year i discovered MF DOOM.

i've noticed that a lot of us NIN fans are also hip hoppers.

If you love hip hop and aren't aware of DOOM, check this shit out. I really fucking love it.
    It's rap for people who geek out about lyricism and such.

i knoe this isn't from 2017 , but it's the main thing i listened to and it was new to me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    so ok.
    last year i discovered MF DOOM.

i've noticed that a lot of us NIN fans are also hip hoppers.

If you love hip hop and aren't aware of DOOM, check this shit out. I really fucking love it.
    It's rap for people who geek out about lyricism and such.

i knoe this isn't from 2017 , but it's the main thing i listened to and it was new to me.

If you've just discovered DOOM and haven't heard Viktor Vaughn yet, please do yourself the favor. His Vaudeville Villain album is my favorite hip hop album of all time, just above Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys. That's high praise. I seriously cannot recommend this album enough. DOOM is absolutely on point, in terms of flow and sheer lyricism, and the production matches it. Had to have listened to the album at least 20 times in the past 15 years and I still pick up new things every time I listen to it. I don't think I've ever listened to an album so many times and still can't recite half of the lyrics. It's just so dense. It's up there with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral on my list of favorite albums of all time.
    Last edited by imail724; 02-07-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A pretty boring year for me in music. New NIN and Circa Survive (both very good)

But live shows, it has to be one of the best in a long time: Tool, APC, Silversun Pickups, Circa Survive.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    If you've just discovered DOOM and haven't heard Viktor Vaughn yet, please do yourself the favor. His Vaudeville Villain album is my favorite hip hop album of all time, just about Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys. That's high praise. I seriously cannot recommend this album enough. DOOM is absolutely on point, in terms of flow and sheer lyricism, and the production matches it. Had to have listened to the album at least 20 times in the past 15 years and I still pick up new things every time I listen to it. I don't think I've ever listened to an album so many times and still can't recite half of the lyrics. It's just so dense. It's up there with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral on my list of favorite albums of all time.
    yeah I love Vaudeville Villain too! I think we had this conversation awhile back in the rap thread.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The great Chuck Berry released his final album too. Was still rocking at 90!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    yeah I love Vaudeville Villain too! I think we had this conversation awhile back in the rap thread.
    Haha, probably. I jump on any chance I can get to tout this album's greatness.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    it is definitely incredible. I listened to it about 20 times in the past few months, along with MM...FOOD?, Madvillain and Born Like This. I'm kind of obsessed

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Who? HE, Viktor Vaughn...He had a new sicker song. I THINK he called it Lickupon.