Thread: Return of The NIN Store - Livenation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Honest question: what's the big deal about Bandcamp? I've purchased digital music through Bandcamp but I guess I don't really understand how it is different than the other digital marketplaces.
    sorry, these aren't in any kind of sensible order

1) you upload the music in the highest quality lossless you have, so that people can download it in any format they choose. i usually download things in mp3 320 to put on my phone, as well as in apple lossless to keep in my library (you can download something you've purchased more than once, and obviously in multiple formats)

2) bandcamp takes a pretty minimal revenue share fee out of your money, and paypal takes a small bit, too, but it's the best way to get as much money as possible into the hands of the artist without them having to have their own website where they host the files and you can buy them

3) bandcamp is super supportive of marginalized communities and does their best to rid the site of anything that is seriously problematic (like white supremacy, for example)

4) they regularly do features on smaller bands to help try to get them noticed and appreciated by a wider audience

5) the process of actually purchasing music is extremely simple (you don't actually need a paypal account to do it, just a credit card)

6) you can add bonus items (extra artwork, videos, etc.), put in lyrics (which embed in the files that can handle them), and use a bunch of tags for genres, etc. rather than just putting stuff under the broad category of "rock" or "electronic" like most platforms

7) once you've purchased something, if you don't want to download it and have it take up space, the bandcamp app allows streaming at high quality

8) you can literally listen to the entire album (in lower streaming quality) on bandcamp before purchasing. good way to convince people to buy a thing is to let them experience the whole thing instead of 10-30 second snippets of each song

9) you can sell merch and have it bundled with digital products

10) i've been using it for like 10 years for various projects and have had zero problems whatsoever

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, these aren't in any kind of sensible order
    Thanks for this.