Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Priest

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Priest

I forget who it was here that introduced me to this band, I want to say it was @Space Suicide , either way - I felt this band totally deserves their own thread, and what better time than now, their debut record "new flesh" is out now, and you can stream it here:

http://puregrainaudio.com/audio/swed...usive-premiere

The band's record was produced by ex-ghost member Alpha. It's a very 80s synth sound.

Here's how the band described their sound:

Commented the band on their new release: "We're extremely proud of this record. It contains everything we love and grew up with music wise. If Back to the Future 2 were remastered with a new soundtrack, New Flesh would be it.”
    Last edited by ManBurning; 11-17-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I forget who it was here that introduced me to this band, I want to say it was @Space Suicide , either way - I felt this band totally deserves their own thread, and what better time than now, their debut record "new flesh" is out now, and you can stream it here:

http://puregrainaudio.com/audio/swed...usive-premiere

The band's record was produced by ex-ghost member Alpha. It's a very 80s synth sound.

Here's how the band described their sound:

Commented the band on their new release: "We're extremely proud of this record. It contains everything we love and grew up with music wise. If Back to the Future 2 were remastered with a new soundtrack, New Flesh would be it.”
    Yes, it was me. I posted and tagged some people in the Ghost thread. I also contemplated making a thread back then since I figured a lot of Ghost and NIN fans would enjoy the sound of the group.

I haven’t bought or given the new album a spin yet but I fully intend to as I love everything I’ve heard so far.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    didn't realize the album finally came out. i'm a little bummed they released SO MANY SINGLES before the album so that i've basically heard half of it already, but i'm still excited to check out the rest of the songs.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's a tad odd how many songs/videos they released up to the lead up of the record, but I assume they just wanted to gain as much of a following as possible to get their name out there before the record actually dropped. I'd say it worked, I liked "The Cross" but was on the fence with "The Pit", but when "History In Black" came out I was 100% on board.

My favorite tracks are History In Black and Vaudeville, but the other songs probably need some time to grow on me.

And yeah, A mix of ghost and like Pretty hate Machine NIN would be a perfect way to describe the sound of this band. It's like Ghost vocals over PHM music.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, this was one of the biggest surprises of 2019...
    New EP from Priest being released. And soon too! March 29th!

Title track will be out on Feb 1st.

Tracklist Obey EP:
    1. Obey
    2. Ceremony
    3. Neuromancer
    4. Street Spirit
    5. Tria Prima 2

https://mailchi.mp/llyrecords/obey-p...14s0xoJQU7CmZw

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, this was one of the biggest surprises of 2019...
    New EP from Priest being released. And soon too! March 29th!

Title track will be out on Feb 1st.

Tracklist Obey EP:
    1. Obey
    2. Ceremony
    3. Neuromancer
    4. Street Spirit
    5. Tria Prima 2

https://mailchi.mp/llyrecords/obey-p...14s0xoJQU7CmZw
    Shipping kills this for me for the time being.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwinterskies View Post
    Shipping kills this for me for the time being.
    Same. Absolute killer cost. Hopefully more options will appear shortly. Their debut album is brilliant.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    After first listen, doesn't grab you quite as strongly as the stuff on their first LP. Doesn't seem as catchy. Might need a few listens to grow, hopefully.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like it, very danceable. It has a groove and slickness of being energetic. I dig it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I like it, very danceable. It has a groove and slickness of being energetic. I dig it.
    I haven't heard this song in a couple days, and today I woke up from a nap with this song stuck in my head somehow. I had that beginning synth part with the "It's a lonely ride, Yeah It's a lonely ride" part. Guess that's how you know it's a good catchy song when it starts to infiltrate your dreams.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I haven't heard this song in a couple days, and today I woke up from a nap with this song stuck in my head somehow. I had that beginning synth part with the "It's a lonely ride, Yeah It's a lonely ride" part. Guess that's how you know it's a good catchy song when it starts to infiltrate your dreams.
    I'll buy the EP. I won't get a fancy vinyl color unfortunately but using eBay I got the first album for a good price. I'll probably patrol Discogs too.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    What the hell. I just found out that 2 out of the 3 members of this band just upped and quit the other day.
    That's bogus. I love this band. One of the best new bands out there in a long time. I wonder what happened...

http://www.releasemagazine.net/two-m...p-trio-priest/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghostbc/com...has_broken_up/

Apparently the dude remaining is going to keep going. The biggest shoes to fill are going to be the lead singer. As long as the new guy sounds similar, I guess it won't matter in the end since they all wore masks anyway. We never got too attached to any of these guys.

so strange for them to call it quits right before their new EP is about to drop. They have tons of live shows lined up as well.

Here is Tom (Mercury's) instagram post about it:
    https://www.instagram.com/ginger_khan_/

"It is with a heavy heart that I hereby announce that I'm no longer playing the character known as "Mercury" in the band Priest.

For personal reasons, the original group has broken up, with both me and the man behind the character of "Sulfur" choosing to take different paths in the world of music and art.

The years with Priest were truly amazing, and I'll cherish the memories and experiences for life.

In the moment of writing, I'm declining all interviews and questions regarding further details into this matter.

To the fans, thank you so much for your undying love and support! You are the reason to why all of this was made possible, and I stand in awe of your burning passion. For those of you wanting to follow Priest in the band’s future exploits, you shall not be disappointed.

To my band brothers, it's been an honor to serve with you, the crew, and all others who aided our journey over the years.

Priest will be releasing its upcoming EP "Obey" on March the 29th. I could not be more proud to be a part of it. Thank you, humans, for listening to my sermon.

Your Priest, Tom Åsberg"
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-09-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was totally expecting a topic about Judas Priest, I'll see myself out...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViN View Post
    I was totally expecting a topic about Judas Priest, I'll see myself out...
    https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...-Judas-Priest/

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Interview with Priest. Available in both English and German.

https://monkeypress.de/2019/05/inter...eo29mYBa0CteIU

Looks like the new singer is the original old keyboardist of the band. There was some speculation that that's who was taking over the vocal duties.

How got you involved into the band?
    I have been the Puppet Master all the time. I was the puppet behind the keyboards before. Now I took a step forward to the front as Mercury. I was souled before. And two other guys are behind the keyboards now. So it’s a completely new band. But I think it is all about the music. It is all about the songs. How you deliver the songs, how you interpret the songs. I have been the main song writer the whole time. So, these are my songs. To sing them it’s very natural, even as I wrote them for another character. Now I can interpret them my own way. And with the time I changed the keys of songs I had to adapt to other singers, register and stuff like that. So, it’s a challenge, but I think it is getting better and better.
    They also talk about how there is a new album written as well, around 10 songs. That's awesome news. Can't get enough of these guys.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Priest have setup an indiegogo page to raise funds for making a music video for a new song called "Dead Ringer"

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/p...VSDwT4UuZwt8#/

Series of perks range from your credits in the end of the video, a red or black signed vinyl, t-shirt, or a video call from Puppet Master himself.

I normally don't buy into these things, but I think I might pick up the T-shirt. Why the heck not. Not exactly gonna be attending any live music anytime soon, may as well support the artists somehow.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the mini-disc killed me hahaha

song's good! what were the lineup changes that happened, again? still sounds like priest but with a different vocal style and i like it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the mini-disc killed me hahaha

song's good! what were the lineup changes that happened, again? still sounds like priest but with a different vocal style and i like it.
    That's pretty much exactly what happened. Original singer and another dude left, leaving only the keyboardist. He took over the vocal duties himself.
    The voice sounds a bit off, but... eh, Glad they're still making music. It's a good track none the less.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    The new album is called Cyberhead and it is out on October 2nd.

Some items for pre-order on the official website: https://www.airghoul.com/

Nothing really jumping out at me personally.
    I did back the dead ringer video campaign, just bought a t-shirt. Yet to receive conformation of that being shipped, so no idea what's going on with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just pulled the trigger on the Transparent Soylent Green Vinyl, $46.62 shipped to US. A little pricey for 1LP, but fuck it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ummm...Cyberhead is not good. The first half is listenable, but the second half is unbearable. $46.62 wasted on this vinyl. Not sure what happened here, but I think the 2 members who left the band had more input on the songwriting process than was originally stated. Or homeboy has just run out of ideas. Either way, a disappointment.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    Ummm...Cyberhead is not good. The first half is listenable, but the second half is unbearable. $46.62 wasted on this vinyl. Not sure what happened here, but I think the 2 members who left the band had more input on the songwriting process than was originally stated. Or homeboy has just run out of ideas. Either way, a disappointment.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    I thought maybe it was just me, but I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. The 2 singles they released are decent, but as for the rest... super weak. I am disappointed. I backed into their thieves kickstarter as well with an album purchase and I'm kind of regretting it.

I scored it a 4/10 and I was being pretty generous with that score too, lol.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 11-15-2020 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well…another weak album from this dude. Body Machine has a couple decent tracks, but that’s it. I’d probably rate this one lower than Cyberhead after the first couple listens. I can’t really buy that this is the same guy that wrote the first album & ep, the original trio should have figured out a way to make it work. Also, this dude’s vocal ability pales in comparison to the original singer. It’s a shame really, they were one of my fav new bands after those first couple releases.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    Well…another weak album from this dude. Body Machine has a couple decent tracks, but that’s it. I’d probably rate this one lower than Cyberhead after the first couple listens. I can’t really buy that this is the same guy that wrote the first album & ep, the original trio should have figured out a way to make it work. Also, this dude’s vocal ability pales in comparison to the original singer. It’s a shame really, they were one of my fav new bands after those first couple releases.
    I'm scratching my head on this one. I actually loved the Let Your Body Go single, and when I saw that it wasn't even on the album, I thought it could be a sign of confidence in the newer material. If that was the case, I'm afraid I don't share it. Not that I think the album is terrible - it's just hard not to revisit New Flesh and Obey (or Brides of the Black Room, for that matter) and rue what might have been...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I'm scratching my head on this one. I actually loved the Let Your Body Go single, and when I saw that it wasn't even on the album, I thought it could be a sign of confidence in the newer material. If that was the case, I'm afraid I don't share it. Not that I think the album is terrible - it's just hard not to revisit New Flesh and Obey (or Brides of the Black Room, for that matter) and rue what might have been...
    How many songs is Tom doing vocals for on that Brides of the Black room album?

He's undoubtedly the better vocalist, but I'm enjoying Body Machine nevertheless. Seeing them in Dublin in a few weeks with Combichrist.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This band immediately went into the toilet after their first album. The ensuing behavior and Ghost hatred makes it even more pathetic.