Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual Asshatery in the News

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Is Lena Dunham ever going to just go away?
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...sexual-assault

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I posted one of the most egregious examples of a feminist apologist article for Franken a page or so back. But I've seen it in a lot of places. From the 36 female SNL workers to Bill Maher to random dem voters I personally know (many in a wide demographic themselves). It usually boils down to the argument the "feminist" article made about political pragmatism, or a "this is just to take the heat of Roy Moore, ignore it", or "this is being amplified by Russians, ignore it"

Are you not also seeing the same?
    No, but I don't live in your country where the partisan framing is at near-strangulation levels. Where, just now, Bill Maher somehow made it on a list of feminist progressives, wow.

After just now reading the article you posted, I did get the sense that this is simply that woman's everyday reality, and she has thought through the consequences of the choice she made to be a party loyalist (horrible though they may sound to me; mind you, I'm certainly in no position to judge her, having made my own political affiliations here and living with consequences of a different variety). Did she make apologies for what Franken did? No. Is she calling for him and his ilk to stop their behaviour? Yes. Does she feel, as I do, that Franken's immediate resignation is the most appropriate response? No, she has a whole other list of demands, most of which sound to me like good ideas. Are we both feminists? I believe so, yes, just facing different political realities and approaches.

This is why I believe you (American voters) should tell the people representing you in both political parties that this behaviour is wrong at ALL levels, and please send a strong signal to your representatives that powerful men shouldn't get away with this abusive shit anymore no one should without having to face consequences... at the very least they should lose their party's affiliation and monetary support pending an investigation.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Maher was part of the spectrum. If even he is doing it, then it extends beyond just the hardline loyalists.

And it is apologizing. Her argument included "but other men probably do it" along with her saying that it basically wasn't that bad because there is worse that happens.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Maher has been an out shitbag for years now, so that is the least surprising news of all time.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Everytime I try to articulate my feelings about the Al Franken shit my post ends up devolving into a dumb ramble about the two party system, which doesn't seem like it should be the focus, so I just delete everything I've written.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Everytime I try to articulate my feelings about the Al Franken shit my post ends up devolving into a dumb ramble about the two party system, which doesn't seem like it should be the focus, so I just delete everything I've written.
    I think it's at least worth acknowledging that the accusations against him have been - by SOME - painted as a ploy to shift focus away from other people (to be fair though, I've mostly just been seeing this from randos on Facebook and not legitimate journalists). Goes to show that even something that should be as universally denounced as sexual harassment and assault can be belittled and painted as nothing more than a political ploy. Which, frankly, is disgusting to me.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep. Conyers steps down as ranking Democratic member of the House Judiciary Committee amid accusations of sexual harassment.

Let's see more hypocritical politicians (on both sides of the aisle) follow in his footsteps.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I think it's at least worth acknowledging that the accusations against him have been - by SOME - painted as a ploy to shift focus away from other people (to be fair though, I've mostly just been seeing this from randos on Facebook and not legitimate journalists). Goes to show that even something that should be as universally denounced as sexual harassment and assault can be belittled and painted as nothing more than a political ploy. Which, frankly, is disgusting to me.
    Well, for some people they ARE attaching to it because its an excuse to exercise political desires. Some people only give a shit about the Franken story because it hurts Dems. On the flip, some people are only trying to ignore the Franken story because it hurts dems and/or because they see the story used as an attack on dems. The same shit happened with Trump too.

People like to fixate on the one piece that gives them an easy out. Kind of like when someone mentions Maher in a list of other people :P

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Rep. Conyers steps down as ranking Democratic member of the House Judiciary Committee amid accusations of sexual harassment.

Let's see more hypocritical politicians (on both sides of the aisle) follow in his footsteps.
    good
    but hoooly fuck the Pelosi video embedded in that article (especially the 2nd, full length one) is ugly as fuck. @botley, if you want to see the partisan mental gymnastics behind this issue, watch this video.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 11-26-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mental gymnastics are the worst. Just be straight with it and admit there's a problem. No black and white here. For God's sake.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Australian TV presenter, Don Burke, accused of all kinds of assault and harassment. He denied the claims and said he's totally a life-long fighter of sexism and misogyny. The later blames his actions on his self-diagnosed aspergers.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really hope all this "coming out as having aspergers" doesn't put more shame on people who have it bad like I do....

Sure, I have poor social skills because of it, but I know well fucking better than to assault or harass someone. I've been accused many times of harassment, but I had no idea I was even doing it since they just never said anything about it.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    I have Aspergers and I'm not very social at all yet I know what not to do. This is just a bullshit excuse.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It is. Yes, I may not know what i'm doing sometimes but it's common fucking sense not to be a fucking asshole or a prick or at worse, physically assault, whether it was a sexual or non act. It's stupid and it's not gonna win you any favors blaming your act's on a mental problem that can be someone manageable or even out growable

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Matt Lauer fired by NBC news

Wow.

Detailed complaint received Monday night. Incident reviewed. By Wednesday morning, his firing was publicly announced on their own show. THAT, my friends, is how you handle accusations that have clear evidence. Gotta applaud NBC for taking the allegations seriously, reviewing them thoroughly and quickly, and acting immediately instead of trying to "come to an arrangement" or some bullshit (or even ignore them entirely....looking at you, Fox News)

edit: people are now largely rushing to his defense and spouting off the whole "it's a dangerous precedent to fire someone based on one accusation" spiel. Which is, in and of itself, true. But ironically, these people are now the ones making accusations that this wasn't warranted and that nothing was proven. And I'm having a very, very hard time believing that NBC would fire Matt Lauer over something that wasn't clearly proven, if not outright confessed, before even publicizing the fact that he had been accused of misconduct. In what world would a multi-billion dollar company fire one of their marquee names if they didn't have a damn good reason?

Last edited by theimage13; 11-29-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Now Garrison Keillor Wtf

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    now garrison keillor wtf
    fucking hell what???!??!??!!

edit: goddamnit I need to be able to type in all caps here

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/ananavarro/statu...69957258309638

Ana Navarro @ananavarro 5 hours ago
    Matt Lauer lost his job.
    Charlie Rose lost his job.
    Mark Halperin lost his job.
    Glenn Thrush lost his job.
    Billy Bush lost his job.
    Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
    Kevin Spacey lost his job.
    But in politics...
    Conyers still in Congress.
    Moore still running.
    Trump still President.

Now Garrison Keillor Wtf
    https://twitter.com/_cingraham/statu...28545183797248

Christopher Ingraham‏ @_cingraham
    Holy shit they didn't just fire Keillor, they're also scrubbing all the old Prairie Home broadcasts and *renaming the show* https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...roper-behavior
    Last edited by allegate; 11-29-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://twitter.com/ananavarro/statu...69957258309638

Ana Navarro @ananavarro 5 hours ago
    Matt Lauer lost his job.
    Charlie Rose lost his job.
    Mark Halperin lost his job.
    Glenn Thrush lost his job.
    Billy Bush lost his job.
    Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
    Kevin Spacey lost his job.
    But in politics...
    Conyers still in Congress.
    Moore still running.
    Trump still President.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/statu...28545183797248

Holy shit they didn't just fire Keillor, they're also scrubbing all the old Prairie Home broadcasts and *renaming the show* https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...roper-behavior
    Good thing I've got them all saved...

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    Jesus. We saw it live several times. It wasn’t JUST him.

Holy shit, indeed.

(Note that you can type in all caps if at least one letter is not in all caps.)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    LIKE SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL???

ha

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Fuck me. I was still working on my updates (had an old torrent full of 64kbps stuff and was working on pulling the 128s from the website) and the pages and files were all deleted from the server in the last two minutes.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    LIKE SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL???

ha
    What has this world come to? Have we lost the idea of decency? I swear, I feel like the past few years have been really fucked up. Not only do we get these awful stories of sexual harassment and sexual assaults from Hollywood, news media, sports, and politics. We also have race riots. Race-baiting. A sense of idiocy emerging. We have a cum-bucket shitbag in the White House. Where did it go all wrong?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Since I don't see too many outlets reporting on this detail:

"I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness, and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it," Keillor told the newspaper. "We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called."
    So glad that this can get a man's entire life's work thrown away, while 16 accusations of far worse can get you....elected (by a losing vote) to the fucking White House.

I hate this damn country. Fuck off, America. Get your goddamn priorities in order.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    This hasn't gotten worse. We are just FINALLY seeing a shift where people are comfortable speaking about it.

Talk to any woman who has ever held a job.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 11-29-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    people are now largely rushing to his defense and spouting off the whole "it's a dangerous precedent to fire someone based on one accusation" spiel.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Thankfully I think people are starting to backtrack those statements as the reporting started to be clarified. When the story - as it was printed in the news - was literally just "accused Monday, unemployed Wednesday," it left it easy for people to jump to conclusions. Thankfully as the day has gone on the reporting has gotten more thorough, and I've already seen several people go "oh...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I get it."

The joy of social media. Release a few sentence statement. Let people freak out about it. Then clarify later.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I think men will have to start reporting unwanted touching from women as well... I know some men feel like it's not something worthy of reporting...but if we are to be equal, we need to.

EDIT:

MORE RUSSELL SIMMONS:

https://pitchfork.com/news/russell-s...t-allegations/
    Last edited by cashpiles; 11-30-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    734 Post(s)
    This isn’t about men and women and equality; Kevin Spacey was showing his dick to and thrusting himself upon other men; women have sexually harassed women; this is just about DON’T DO IT.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I think men will have to start reporting unwanted touching from women as well... I know some men feel like it's not something worthy of reporting...but if we are to be equal, we need to.
    Why would you have to report something that you don't have an issue with? fuck that. This isn't communist russia man.
    There is plenty I could have reported in my past experience, both in and out of work. Some isn't at all worth addressing. Some, you can simply address as 2 functional adults. And if that fails, then sure go ahead and escalate to involve outside parties.