Page 30 of 57 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I honestly don't know what to make of this...

The entirety of the scandal seems to hinge on his being legally (barely) underage. That's still fucked up, it's wrong, but this sounds like it was entirely consensual. If he'd been ONE year older (and dependent upon the state jurisdiction that this happened in), there would be nothing to this story. His subsequent nods to continued social media friendship with her... and then when he's financially distraught it goes here... Too much is being made of the issue of her being a "mother figure" in previous roles.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of attempt by Argento to extort, threaten, or pressure him. If consensually losing your virginity at that age to an older woman is so devastating that you can pin it to extreme trauma...

Again, I don't know. Everyone's different, and I don't want to presume anything... but something feels strange here.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any kind of attempt by Argento to extort, threaten, or pressure him. If consensually losing your virginity at that age to an older woman is so devastating that you can pin it to extreme trauma...
    This part stands out to me -

Later that day she posted a close-up of their faces on Instagram with the caption, “Happiest day of my life reunion with @jimmymbennett xox,” and added that “jimmy is going to be in my next movie and that is a fact, dig that jack.”
    A case can be made that Asia Argento was warped after her encounters with Harvey Weinstein and led her down the path to believing that this is just how business is done in Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai
    The entirety of the scandal seems to hinge on his being legally (barely) underage. That's still fucked up, it's wrong, but this sounds like it was entirely consensual. If he'd been ONE year older (and dependent upon the state jurisdiction that this happened in), there would be nothing to this story. His subsequent nods to continued social media friendship with her... and then when he's financially distraught it goes here... Too much is being made of the issue of her being a "mother figure" in previous roles.

Asia herself carried on contact with Harvey after he raped her - this is not out of the ordinary. Jimmy could've been experiencing something similar after his encounter with her. For me, I'm looking less at his age than I am the events that took place. However, it is 100% fucked that she did this after knowing him as a kid.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    ^^This.

And yeah, I could absolutely see why he would be traumatized. I don't think "consensually losing your virginity" really frames what that article described.

Also like, just before anyone says this: abuse survivors can absolutely also be abusers, this doesn't negate her experiences with Weinstein, nor do her experiences with Weinstein negate this.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by playwithfire View Post
    Also like, just before anyone says this: abuse survivors can absolutely also be abusers, this doesn't negate her experiences with Weinstein, nor do her experiences with Weinstein negate this.
    I'll be harsh and say that anyone who has already said this regarding this story also doesn't understand what #MeToo actually is. It's about breaking this whole fucked up power dynamic apart.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Also I just want to point out there is a double standard at work when people jump to concluding that somehow this RUINS all her accusations' credibility, whereas if it were a man who had been abused and later became an abuser, he would be framed as the victim of a "vicious cycle of abuse" rather than just a perpetrator. Hat tip to Kate Manne for writing on this and other subtle misogynistic cultural frameworks extensively.
    Last edited by botley; 08-20-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Check out the Drudge Report Headline before it's gone.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinspots View Post
    Check out the Drudge Report Headline before it's gone.
    I'm not giving Matt Drudge a click. What does it say?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I'm not giving Matt Drudge a click. What does it say?
    It's the headline. Large photo of her raising her fist in the air, with the caption: SHOCK: #METOO LEADER PAID OFF YOUNG ACTOR (link is not to Drudge, it's to the article linked on Drudge).

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post

Asia herself carried on contact with Harvey after he raped her - this is not out of the ordinary

I know, and while we could speculate something similar, the thing there is the power Weinstein wielded over her. There doesn't appear to even be a claim that Asia was threatening leverage.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Abuse survivors carry on contact with their abusers with a ton of frequency, even without power being held over them.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    my brother was raped in front of me many times. my uncle tried with me, too, but i thwarted his advances. he ended up dying in maricopa county jail for that exact same offense. it comes up in therapy sessions. i'm too terrified to address it. i don't want to acknowledge the fact that it harmed me, too. i don't know. fml.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Abuse survivors carry on contact with their abusers with a ton of frequency, even without power being held over them.
    i stayed in an abusive relationship for over four years because she had me so convinced no one else would love me, that i was trash. every time i found the strength to try to leave, i ended up running back to her. it was like a horrible addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    my brother was raped in front of me many times. my uncle tried with me, too, but i thwarted his advances. he ended up dying in maricopa county jail for that exact same offense. it comes up in therapy sessions. i'm too terrified to address it. i don't want to acknowledge the fact that it harmed me, too. i don't know. fml.
    oh, jesus. i am so, so sorry. and i am so glad your uncle is not a part of your life anymore and can't hurt either of you ever again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Whew, she's innocent of any wrong doing, so case closed.
    https://pagesix.com/2018/08/21/asia-...ourdains-idea/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    :/ I assume that's sarcasm?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    TMZ has the photo of Asia and Jimmy in bed, provided anonymously, of course. Here is a link to the CNN article in case you don't want to give TMZ the clicks.

Photo of Asia Argento with 17-year-old actor surfaces

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Twitter is attacking Rose McGowan over certain comments about the situation: https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/enter...nto/index.html

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Rose very clearly has a lot of problems. At least Tarana Burke (who I love so much, holy shit) is handling this correctly: https://twitter.com/TaranaBurke/stat...98206260150272

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Please can we just switch out that one misplaced 'e' in the thread title for a 't'

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Please can we just switch out that one misplaced 'e' in the thread title for a 't'
    You're an ass-hater. And for the record, the e stays. What we need is one more t.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You're an ass-hater. And for the record, the e stays. What we need is one more t.
    What do I look like, HarrySpellword?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Stick to the topic please.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rose very clearly has a lot of problems. At least Tarana Burke (who I love so much, holy shit) is handling this correctly: https://twitter.com/TaranaBurke/stat...98206260150272
    Lexi Alexander says this way better than I can, but Tarana Burke is practically a saint for allowing Rose and Asia to co-opt the #MeToo movement and now having to right the ship with both of their problems.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Asia Argento has been fired as a judge on X Factor Italy, sources have confirmed."
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...lt-allegations

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Here They Come Again - Great write-up regarding Louis CK's unannounced comedy set at the Comedy Cellar this past Sunday.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I am all for CK coming back and doing stand-up again, but this is way, way, way too soon.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t suggest a surprise drop in.

Let’s not assume one way or another if he really recognizes that he fucked up and is sorry (he very likely isn’t), wouldn’t it just be basic PR 101 to announce a return with a statement seeking forgiveness and a chance to redeem, then donate the proceeds to a womens charity?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    But aCcUSaTIOns RuIn LiVeS

There are a couple of comments on that article that are really good:

I feel like these guys are hoping for forgiveness (or maybe just... forget-ness?), but they’re skipping the steps where you really work to acknowledge, not minimize, the harm you did, AND you take steps to make things right. Forgiveness shouldn’t automatically happen because time passes, and victims don’t owe it to anyone, nor do fans.

This is it exactly. They’re attempting to come back, but there isn’t any real hint of even understanding what it is they’ve done wrong or why it’s wrong. There’s no indication they’re at all interested in changing their ways or learning from this experience, or even really acknowledging the situation, or even really recognizing the damage they’ve done to others.

They feel entitled to the career and influence and money they had, without actually changing anything about themselves. It’s still “why me, poor me”. I don’t personally require anyone to donate or go through performative public improvement projects, but what I do expect is at least some fairly frank acknowledgement out loud that they’ve hurt others and intend to change their abusive behavior and then to actually stick with that change.

I’ve seen no real remorse or intent to change from Lauer or Louis CK. Both can just crawl back into their holes until they decide to acknowledge their culpability out loud, learn to be better humans, and then be that.

And if they can’t? Then they don’t get that career back. Nobody owes these men any time and attention.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 08-28-2018 at 05:43 PM.