Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Sabbath / Heaven & Hell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Black Sabbath / Heaven & Hell

What a way to start a thread . Tony Iommi has cancer. I just started my own cover of 'Planet Caravan' this morning - now I have to read this?

Copied from the Winnipeg Sun website:

"It’s a dark day for Black Sabbath fans: Guitarist Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with cancer.
    The 63-year-old rocker’s illness was revealed in a post on the band’s Facebook page Monday morning, and arrives on the eve of the heavy metal godfathers’ much-anticipated reunion tour and album.

“With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time,” the post reads.
    “Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan — the “IRON MAN” of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery.
    “This comes as Black Sabbath — Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Geezer Butler (bass) and Bill Ward (drums) — are writing and recording their first album in 33 years in Los Angeles (still set for release this fall) with producer Rick Rubin. They will now go to the UK to continue to work with Tony. Further information will be released as it becomes available.”
    The band announced their reunion on Nov. 11. Their forthcoming album would be their first record together since 1978’s disappointing Never Say Die. Black Sabbath are slated to kick off a world tour with an appearance at England’s Download Festival in June."

First we lose Ronnie & now this? Fuck!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    yeah really horrible.

That site know as ultimate guitar tabs or whatever. bunch of fucking assholes. all they care about is that this doesnt affect touring. Really?

I hope he recovers though, which I think he will.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I don't think I can deal with another big cancer death. Losing Ronnie was pretty bad. My grandmother just died of stomach cancer last August. I hate cancer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The word I'm hearing is is that they caught it early, so he has a good chance of beating it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Everyone by now has probably heard that drummer Bill Ward won't be doing any of the shows coming up shortly since they, well, didn't want to pay him anything (srsly...) but in a pretty big turn of events...

..they've cropped him out of all the vintage pictures on their official website.

Pretty dick move.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    love them both, but I think it's questionable how people were jizzing over heaven and hell...
    ...and yet suddenly it's NO BILL NO SABBATH

But yes they have treated him awfully, and it's surely a matter for the trading standards authority if you advertise a tour with him at the press conference ("reunion" etc) and then suddenly backtrack.

But I've seen the original lineup play most of the first 3 albums so what do I care ner

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Sad thing for bill really. I got to see the original lineup. My beef is everyone seems to be pointing the finger at Sharon when she has nothing to do with Sabbath. They are under different management.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sharon doesn't represent Ozzy in and out of Sabbath? Source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    She does represent ozzy but she does not represent black sabbath. They all have their different management.

This whole thing stinks but i would love to see them live once in my lifetime.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Geezer says that the donington show is not a money maker and basically for the fans, and the brum show is a charity thing, bill wanted money for both but apparently nobody is really getting anything

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That's such bullshit! Like Download appearance fees are peanuts!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Heres my speculation - the new sabbath LP is written solely by oz/tony/geezer. I reckon bill got a smaller % somewhere along the line because of that, and he's pissed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe its a bit soon for someone recovering from fucking cancer to go out on the road.
    That amount of pressure and stress cant be good for him?
    Is Ozzy really any good live anymore performing? Saw him in 2002 it was like watching somone with severe dementia. I doubt he has much of a say in things.
    Their management sucks.
    Whole thing looks bad. Shame this group were so fucking mindblowing
    I love this groups 70s output.
    proper weed, acid music. epic ultra dark psycadelica.
    The album cover for paranoid has always really really terrified me. Very powerful image. Pure psychosis!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I saw them in 2005... I thought it was great but I was smashed. Mrs said the band were good but Ozzy just seemed knackered and out of his depth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Heres my speculation - the new sabbath LP is written solely by oz/tony/geezer. I reckon bill got a smaller % somewhere along the line because of that, and he's pissed
    Yeah, the other three has been in UK with Tony for a while and writing the album, bill has not.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From their Facebook...

"At the request of Bill Ward, through his attorney, so as to not give the public the wrong impression about his involvement in the current Black Sabbath lineup, we have temporarily removed Bill Ward's images from the main pages of the blacksabbath.com official website. In accordance with Bill Ward's attorney's request, we are doing so for the duration of the forthcoming shows." BLACK SABBATH

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Fuck you Ozzy. It's bad enough you had to do Pepsi commercials with the Osmonds and fuckin' Justin Bieber. It's bad enough that you have to attend a dinner with W. says "Ozzy, mom loves your stuff." And now you stiff an old friend.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ^-------Insert douche here!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    BLACK SABBATH drummer Bill Ward has released the following statement:

"Dear SABBATH fans and musicians,

"I have read Geezer's [Butler, BLACK SABBATH bassist] statement of May 19, 2012 titled 'Heavy Heart.' Out of respect for the Birmingham gig, I wanted to wait 24 hours before releasing this statement. There are some points he brought up which I want to respond to.

"1) I had indeed notified Ozzy [Osbourne, BLACK SABBATH singer], Tony [Iommi, BLACK SABBATH guitarist] and Geezer well before my first public statement that I was having contractual difficulties.

"2) I came out into a public forum to be accountable to the fans primarily, and to say at a public level there's a problem. The band members stopped talking and corresponding with me some time ago, with the exception of a nice letter from Tony on my birthday. Prior to that, Geezer and I were corresponding, but that stopped abruptly in late February after I emailed a specific question to him.

"3) In my statement of May 15, I clearly stated I would play Birmingham for free. That was not a problem — charity or otherwise.

"4) My Download fee was not an extravagant amount. Originally, when Download was part of a full tour, I had asked for a decent fee. More recently, as we were negotiating just Download/Birmingham and Lollapalooza, I told my attorney that I would accept the proposed small Download fee, but there were other parts of the offer that were unsatisfactory.

"I will continue to be honest and respectful towards the band and our fans. I will also confront any untruths about me, and any fault-finding missions aimed at me that come to my attention.

"I hope the band and the fans had a good gig in Brum."

"Stay safe/stay strong."

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Setlist from the May 19 show:

They played "Under the Sun", Holy crap!!!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    that is a bad ass setlist right there/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    it is, opening with "Into the Void"? = Great idea!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Too good to not share: someone wrote this on FB: "Back Stabbath."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched some live videos of their first show back, sounded pretty solid. That setlist is absurd. 20+ songs per show is pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ozzy

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    Dio >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ozzy
    As a singer?

Yes

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Dio is obviously more competent than Ozzy, and tbh Ozzy solo can be fun but is just cartoonish trash

BUT

first few Sabbath albums are totally better than anything Dio has ever done. TBH I'm probably just getting carried away & I know old sabbath did songs about robots and devils etc, but old sabbath is earthy, throaty music... it's from the same stable as Led Zep etc

It's akin to blues as Dio is to opera

Dio is massively entertaining but it's nerd stuff, it takes me away rather than hits me in the heart. I'm not condescending - I am an arch no-lifer. But that's how it is

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Oh my, what a jerk, but he made me laugh hard...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    lol...

I got the 2 disc Born Again the other day... it's a such a crap album, but I love it. oooo the greyyyy plastic retaards

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Born again" is awesomely bad, love the horrible "cavern sounding" production and Gillan's voice, "Zero the Hero" is one of my fave Sabbath tracks (but i also love "Disturbing the priest")