Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How old are you currently 2.0

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    14/f/cali
    The post itself is good enough for a chuckle, but right underneath the picture of Father Jack? Goddamnit, laughing like this hurts. Thanks, lungs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    forty fucking one, NIN disciple since 1992

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Still younger than @teitan
    So am I but barely. I'm changing decade in a couple of weeks. My body feels it but not my mind. Screw you, number!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    35 and started listening in '95, so 22 years/.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wanna say it was around '93 i suppose, guessing was the head like a hole video but really it was broken that grabbed me by the booboo.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    nIN '80's

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    29. Familiar with NIN since probably about '99/'01 , but never listened to them really. I just knew they were the weird band with only one guy who sang Closer. In 2002-2004, I was really into Thursday and AP magazine did some special on having bands interview their heroes and Geoff Rickly interview Trent. I think I started listening around then, so 2004ish (15/16). I liked With Teeth when it was released. I also knew most of the popular songs. It was something my high school/college boyfriend shared and I stopped listening when we broke up in late 2006. I do remember following some of the Year Zero story and I downloaded the Slip when it was released on the website. But for a long time I just didn't listen to a variety of music in general. I was very happy that The Social Network and Trent Reznor won the award for that score because I loved it.

I recently saw NIN at Riotfest and I've listened to pretty much nothing else. I am now the proud owner of several NIN vinyl and flew to Vegas last weekend to see them. Needless to say, I am really bummed for not keeping up consistently with the band and not giving more time an effort. I would have loved to have seen them in in 2013 or earlier. I'm fairly certain NIN is my current favorite band and it feels awesome to hear some new music that I really really enjoy (AV and NTAE)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As of right now, I'm 32.

I became a fan of Nine Inch Nails when I was 16 in 2002, but I was also about to turn 17 in late 2002. The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and Broken were my first proper listens in that order on that year as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 07-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    30 years young, turning 31 in November.

Listened to my first NIN song in 1999, it was We're In This Together, then I heard Into the Void and became hooked. Downloaded a bunch of songs on Napster (remember that?) soon afterwards but I didn't buy my first NIN album until 2001. From 2001 - 2003 I picked up virtually all of their LPs, remixes, and EPs that were released up to that point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    sigh,
    into the fourth decade of life
    -how time flies-

my first audio introduction to NIN came from a friend who spent his summer's in France. he was always bringing home new music and sharing it with me.
    he came back from one of his breaks and said 'i have something for you to hear,' as he was fumbling with the cassette tape he told me this amazing story of how this was a one man band, and how it was this one man who played all of the instruments on the tape and how this amazing musician couldn't get a label in his homeland in the United States because he was a one man band.
    i remember the music having a life of its own as it played, and i had a new love for this new sound..
    Last edited by muse-lyre candy; 10-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I am 34.

I always knew about NIN since around late 97 mid 98 ish, but I never really became a fan probably until a few months before The Fragile was about to drop. I wasn't a "mega fan" at that point either, just a "fan" the Mega fan in me went to Marilyn Manson at the time. Was a huge fan of Manson around 1998-2002. It was around the time of And All that could have been when I really started to become obsessed w/ Trent and friends. I first came to ETS around that era as a lurker. It wasn't until around 2004-2005 til I registered for an account though. By the release of [With_Teeth] I was so far pulled in obsessed beyond repair.

I'm a tad sad that my "obsession period" started during [With_Teeth]. Not that it was a bad phase of the band to be obsessed with, I just got screwed out of one of the best tours of existence if only I jumped on a tad earlier. I mean, I was a fan for the release of the Fragile, I even remember skipping school to go get it and bringing it home and listening to it all day. But what I mean is, I really should have traveled for that Fragility tour. In 2000 I had 2 friends who were bigger NIN fans than I was travel to the Fragility 2.0 show in Toronto. What I would give to turn back time and be at that show... Instead, I waited and traveled for Manson's Holy Wood tour a few months after.

Bah... I want to see a fragility show sooooo bad! Easily my biggest regret in life. The one thing I would go back and change.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I’m 27 years old and I got into NIN when I was 16 in the winter of 2006. The first physical cd I bought by the band was the Every Day Is Exactly The Same EP.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    36. First NIN show in 1995. Saw every show that's rolled through here since. My back hurts.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    28, started listening to NIN in 1998 shortly before The Fragile came out. I remember my mom actually taking me to Best Buy the day it came out to buy it. My mom is/was cool.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm 30

got into NIN through the lost highway soundtrack, but my first actual NIN release was the fragile in 1999. saw them on fragility 2.0 with my cousin (who is 13 years my senior) the following spring.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm surprised at how young a lot of you are. I always thought everyone here was older than I was. I feel really old all of a sudden.

Also super jealous of everyone younger than me who got to see Fragility 2.0!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm 43. Got into NIN when PHM was released, so I was 15. Fell away for a few years in the middle when life got in the way, but got back into NIN several years ago and made up for lost time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm 33. I actually found out about NIN because they were stacked above the Nirvana cassettes at Sam Goody's, and I was attracted to the TDS artwork and the mystery behind how abstract it was and the lack of a tracklist. I must have heard Closer a little bit later on Z100. I had to dub a cassette of it from a classmate because my parents didn't want me to listen to them (I was 10 and the lyrics are pretty extreme, so they were probably right about that.) I was probably obsessed for a good six year stretch of my childhood/adolescence (which is a long time when you're young) and kind of moved on for awhile around the time of With Teeth.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    No new tale to tell, 26 years on my way to hell.

I got into NIN at the age of 17. I was always a casual fan; enjoyed the hits on the radio..but "capital G" was really catchy, bought year zero just to check it out..The Great Destroyer blew my mind..then found out about the ARG.. I was hooked.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    34, soon to be 35. Got into NIN about 18 years ago.
    People are right, the numbers look worse when you type them out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In four years, I'll be 30. Now I am 2C.

PS: Fuck decimal system. ;-)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As of right now I'm 33.

I also became a fan of Nine Inch Nails when I became 16, but I was also about to turn 17 a few months afterwards.

I was also thinking about this topic and aside from the majority of users being born in the 1970s and 1980s, it also seems to be a safe bet to assume that even the majority of the "youngest of the oldest" NIN fans/users were at least in their late teens or well into their 20s in 2000. As for me, as I've mentioned on numerous threads by now, I was a child in the 1990s and a teenager in the 2000s. (Well, at least the first half of it, but I was still 19 in most of 2005 since I was born very late in the year.)

While there's lots of Generation Y users here, Generation X still definitely rules the roost on ETS.

It's still cool to occasionally see users that are actually younger than The Fragile this time around though.

I also might not have been around that long, but I've been around long enough to know if somebody grew up in my generation or near it based on their pop culture, entertainment and technological/Internet references.

@elevenism - I surprisingly forgot to mention you and I was finally able to put this thought in words regarding NIN fans and age demographics.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Currently 26. Got into NIN when I got the BYIT dvd when i was 14.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm still confused as to what generation we belong to, those of us who were born in 1980 and 81 and such.

Also, how in the fuck am I 39 now? :/

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @elevenism - From what I've noticed whenever I looked it up, those years definitely count as a part of Generation X, but at the tail end of it. The earliest years of Generation Y are much closer to 1985 than 1979. So one way to look at it would be that if you were born in the 1980s, but near 1979, you're technically more, or just on the Generation X side, also known as Xennials. It makes sense anyway, since looking at the videos of NIN gigs as early as 1989-1991 (As I'm just counting as far back to just the actual PHM era.), those people are clearly not 1980s babies. Generation Y seems to be more of a mid 1980s to mid 1990s thing, even though it also covers some of the early 1980s.

It's kind of funny, because when I looked it up, there was somebody on a another forum calling NIN more of a Generation Y band, and one of the responses that stood out to me was something similar to the effect of "Yeah, because so many 5 year olds bought PHM and so many 10 year olds bought TDS when they came out."

That kind of cleared it up for me. Being born late in the year as I mentioned, I was still 8 when TDS came out. Just being reminded how I was only in the single digits when TDS came out reminded me how far off I was to the majority of the fan-base, where I'd more than likely be the same age of most fans of bands that came out in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

As for why this has interested me for quite some time, it's due to the fact that I was always interested in seeing how fans grow with their favorite musicians, especially when they're still active and actually releasing albums and touring. Or well, just being interested in fans growing with their interests altogether.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-05-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm still confused as to what generation we belong to, those of us who were born in 1980 and 81 and such.

It's a bridge gap sort of thing, '78 here. I bought a book years back at school on sale dealing with the generation gap in teh professional world and how they can work together. I didn't get much past that but it makes sense. My siblings are 10-13 years older solid Gen X but I am somewhere in between.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Dirty Thirty.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

I'm in Generation Jones (1954 - 1965). I don't remember being 39, LOL LOL LOL.

(sigh)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I'm in Generation Jones (1954 - 1965). I don't remember being 39, LOL LOL LOL.

(sigh)
    Thing is, though, different research collectives define generations by different years.
    @Halo Infinity , discrepancy between gen x and millennial seems to be especially contentious, with, six, I think, different respected groups, coming up with six different years/spans of time.
    iN FACT, saw a video suggesting that generations don't truly ExIST, citing, for one thing, the fact that generations with names/years started relatively recently.
    Although dude mispronounces a couple words, he makes some fascinating points, and whoever wrote the thing, I THINK, is fairly intelligent.

Peep this, y'all.