Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    interesting!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Jup, I'm also hoping for an announcement!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    The same for the HTDA facebookpage.
    Something happening.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Trent, hurry up and post shit. I need to give you my money. And my penis.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Honestly, the only reason for that imo is Rob needed a decent banner for the NIN timeline. I doubt the remaster will have exactly the same art, at least in deluxe packages.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Honestly, the only reason for that imo is Rob needed a decent banner for the NIN timeline. I doubt the remaster will have exactly the same art, at least in deluxe packages.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i don't think they would reveal the art for the reissue without some formal announcement on the nin website/forum.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Marilyn manson and depeche mode and rob sheridan updated their banner recently too

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Respectfully disagree as to the first part. Out of all the albums and available art, that's the one they go with? In light of the known fact that Moulder has been mixing and the deluxe edition has been talked about forever? Too much of a coincidence...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really hope this is coming soon. Got a spot on my credit card just ready to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When the re-issue was announced, I assumed the 'missing' tracks would be included in 5.1 or elevated sound quality. Meaning- Appendage (NOT FILLER THIS A GREAT SONG), 10 Miles High, The New Flesh in their proper places. Its not necessarily implied with the re issue, but it would be a travesty if these tracks were ignored.

I would really like to see the extended intros and endings that appear on vinyl, keeping the segues from the CD version. Even though Metal appeared on a single, I have it in my proper Fragile mix and it fits nicely. Maybe instead of 3 Starfuckers remixes we could have the WITT edits and versions that appeared on the singles in one place along with Complications of the Flesh.

Demos would be awesome, especially for WITT. Lastly, though its a pipe dream, I would really like to know what came of the lost Fragile tracks.

Its a hefty wish list now that I see it in print. Regardless I'm waiting to spend too much money on every format released. The thought of a Fragile Deluxe package ala Ghosts... does things to me.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    After Bob Ezrin turned up on a thread in the old ETS talking a bit about his experience of sequencing the album, I really want some kind of documentary about the making of the album but it's probably a pipe dream

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Incendiary Lover View Post
    Appendage (NOT FILLER THIS A GREAT SONG)
    That song IS filler, though... It was only put on the cassette version to fill up the time remaining on one side of the tape. It's, technically, a remix anyway. I would be fine without the song on the re-issue. However, "The New Flesh" AND "10 Miles High" should be included, as they work really well in the track placements on vinyl.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It's filler by definition, but not by quality - many great tracks have been written tongue in cheek, as filler or half heartedly

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'd like to hear Somewhat Damaged with the original ending.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Interesting! I never knew about that. Found a couple images, but if anyone could point me towards a link collecting the whole "Fragile Diary" experience that would be AMAZING, thanks.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Damn, I'd been hoping there were A LOT more of those entries than it seems there actually were, but that was still an awesome quick little read.

Thanks much!

:)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    After Bob Ezrin turned up on a thread in the old ETS talking a bit about his experience of sequencing the album, I really want some kind of documentary about the making of the album but it's probably a pipe dream
    Did anyone save/document Bob Ezrin's posts from that thread?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Did anyone save/document Bob Ezrin's posts from that thread?

on ninwiki article for the fragile, naturally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    where were these journal entries posted? on nin.com? the web.archive.org page seems not to have archived nin.com around this time... just interested because then i'd expand the "news archive" article at the ninwiki...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Demos? The Fragile? Please don't give me an erection at work.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I'd like to hear Somewhat Damaged with the original ending.
    Yeah, I love the 0-60 seconds vitriol of the last verse, but would be fun to hear the original

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    where were these journal entries posted? on nin.com? the web.archive.org page seems not to have archived nin.com around this time... just interested because then i'd expand the "news archive" article at the ninwiki...
    Nah, it was from the proto-NIN site, nin.nothing, I think.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    As long as we're touching on the making of The Fragile here, the other day I accidentally came across a great old interview with Alan Moulder:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm

I checked the NIN Hotline articles/interview archive and didn't see it (though there's another SOS interview with Alan from the same year, but it's got a different title). There's some Smashing Pumpkins content in this interview, but it's mostly about The Fragile. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    As long as we're touching on the making of The Fragile here, the other day I accidentally came across a great old interview with Alan Moulder:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/alan.htm

I checked the NIN Hotline articles/interview archive and didn't see it (though there's another SOS interview with Alan from the same year, but it's got a different title). There's some Smashing Pumpkins content in this interview, but it's mostly about The Fragile. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Haha I knew there were 'lost tracks', some of which got used on Niggy, but come on this can't be a serious statement... arrangements, mixes, versions, ok, but SONGS? Why the fuck did I have to read that? Now I'm going to be sublimanlly excited for some kind of bonus disc(s) that is/are never going to see the light of day. I remember TR saying there was some left over stuff, but nothing really completed, fully fleshed out, or that we hadn't heard in some form somewhere else. So confused! Great read though.

"Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile, and these had to be whittled down to a much more modest number for the double-album format. Meanwhile, in order to intermittently alleviate the boredom and also to offset any feelings of paranoia over long-term non-achievement, mix sessions took place at various stages during the two-year period. Some tracks were, in fact, mixed more than a year before the album's completion in August of 1999, yet as a result there was also concern on the part of Reznor and Moulder pertaining to consistency of sound and feel. "I think doing it all in the same studio and with the same people helped in that regard," says Moulder. "Also, the material was pretty varied, and so that was more forgiving. Still, in the case of the first track that we'd done, 'Somewhat Damaged', we did have to go back and pull it into line. It just sounded a little more old-school Nine Inch Nails in terms of the drum pattern, the bass synthesizer and the guitars. Trent wanted to play guitar on this album more than keyboards, and during the course of it we'd evolved some pretty good guitar sounds and his style had changed to quite a degree, so we just put some of that on there.Fragile was a bit more complex than Downward Spiral, and so those kinds of subtleties applied to it."

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Nah, it was from the proto-NIN site, nin.nothing, I think.
    Nope. These were in fact hosted at nin.com. I remember distinctly as promo for The Fragile was pretty much the birth of nin.com. Prior to that point, nin.com redirected to the Sister Machine Gun website. I don't know the particulars of how it eventually changed hands, but I've always been a bit curious as to whether or not Chris Randall sold it for a fat stack of cash.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Haha I knew there were 'lost tracks', some of which got used on Niggy, but come on this can't be a serious statement... arrangements, mixes, versions, ok, but SONGS? Why the fuck did I have to read that? Now I'm going to be sublimanlly excited for some kind of bonus disc(s) that is/are never going to see the light of day. I remember TR saying there was some left over stuff, but nothing really completed, fully fleshed out, or that we hadn't heard in some form somewhere else. So confused! Great read though.

"Around 120 songs were eventually recorded for The Fragile, and these had to be whittled down to a much more modest number for the double-album format. Meanwhile, in order to intermittently alleviate the boredom and also to offset any feelings of paranoia over long-term non-achievement, mix sessions took place at various stages during the two-year period. Some tracks were, in fact, mixed more than a year before the album's completion in August of 1999, yet as a result there was also concern on the part of Reznor and Moulder pertaining to consistency of sound and feel. "I think doing it all in the same studio and with the same people helped in that regard," says Moulder. "Also, the material was pretty varied, and so that was more forgiving. Still, in the case of the first track that we'd done, 'Somewhat Damaged', we did have to go back and pull it into line. It just sounded a little more old-school Nine Inch Nails in terms of the drum pattern, the bass synthesizer and the guitars. Trent wanted to play guitar on this album more than keyboards, and during the course of it we'd evolved some pretty good guitar sounds and his style had changed to quite a degree, so we just put some of that on there.Fragile was a bit more complex than Downward Spiral, and so those kinds of subtleties applied to it."
    ::ningasm::

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hope this comes out before April next year. It's my 40th and it would be a great idea for a present for me, something completely frivolous. Any spare cash we have at the moment goes towards paying off our mortgage early