Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Weird Al Yankovic

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Weird Al Yankovic

Longshot, but any other fans here?

I'm beyond excited for the new tour. For the first time in decades he's ditching all the props, costume changes, etc, and just sitting down to play a bunch of older and mostly original songs that never got the same love as the hit parodies.

And now, to keep it NIN themed, here's his Terrible Lie-inspired track (not a full on parody, but the influence is obvious).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Oh man, I am so pumped for the deep-cuts, no-parodies tour next year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I am very tempted to go to his Boston area show, I have never seen him live, but if he plays 'Dare to be Stupid'... 8 year old me might explode. He is going to be at Rhode Island Comic con, and I really want to get him to sign a record or something. But yeah, I think everyone in their mid 30s to late 40s has a special place in their heart for Al.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love his output. His recent stuff reflects the current state of music and it’s not as good but is still clever as hell.

As far as comedy music, his 80’s and 90’s catalog can’t be touched.

UHF also rules. Sorry to upset people.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I love his output. His recent stuff reflects the current state of music and it’s not as good but is still clever as hell.

As far as comedy music, his 80’s and 90’s catalog can’t be touched.

UHF also rules. Sorry to upset people.
    Upset? Us? I mean, I don't know if you're talking about the album or the movie, but it's a moot point - they're both great.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Weird Al kicks ass and his naysayers can eat me. Saw his free show at the Just For Laughs fest last year and he slayed. The amount of work the man puts into his live shows is to be respected. I'll be attending this next tour too.

I really want that accordion box set.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Upset? Us? I mean, I don't know if you're talking about the album or the movie, but it's a moot point - they're both great.
    The movie, which I own on 25th anniversary collectors edition blu ray.

I hear most people think and rate the movie as junk.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Longshot, but any other fans here?
    Yeah, absolutely! I've been a fan since middle school, and IMO he continues to put out pretty great stuff. There's still the occasional album I'm less fond of, but his batting average remains quite high. I always pick up new albums on release day, then spend the next six months or so hearing a song playing in the background somewhere and going, "Oh, so that's what the original sounds like."

I too am quite excited for the new tour; somehow it was only last year that I finally saw him live.

There's no reason to pay any mind to those philistines. UHF rules.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why have I never heard Germs before!!!???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The movie, which I own on 25th anniversary collectors edition blu ray.

"You get to drink from the Fire Hose!!!"

Close to 30+ years later it still cracks me up.

Pretty sure there is no way the video for Fat could get played on TV today. "Yo, Ding Dong, Man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong. Yo."
    Last edited by renton44; 10-18-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    "You get to drink from the Fire Hose!!!"

Close to 30+ years later it still cracks me up.
    Yeah, that's a highlight for sure. Kuni's various "STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID"s are pretty great too. And let's not forget every Weird Al/Rambo scream.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    As a huge Transformers fan, my first WA exposure, naturally, was the 1986 TF movie when they used Dare To Be Stupid during the fight on planet Junkion. This was years before someone bought me a Greatest Hits Vol. II cassette tape which I wore the hell out of.

And casting him as the Junkion Wreck-Gar in TF Animated a few years back was just the most beautiful thing ever to me

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I got to go see Al in concert last year in Troutdale, very entertaining person to watch

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love Weird Al. It's amazing he's managed to last longer than those he's parodied. When will he be inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame? He deserves to be inducted.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is my favorite scene from the movie

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Speaking of cameos, i recently watched all 3 "Naked Gun" movies and loved when Al showed up:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Al's great, I caught him a Hamilton a few years back, he puts on an good show.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Weird Al is the best. The fact that he and his band can emulate and parody all sorts of musical genres while still making it sound fairly authentic is a true talent indeed. He not only parodies music, he GETS music. Happy to see him trying something new with his tour. I've never seen him live (yet), but this new tour may be one of those things that I really need to see.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw a video of him making an album and he is someone that really puts a lot of work into not just the originals but also the parodies. He talks about time signatures and all of these things needed for a song. The man is a genius and his band is definitely some of the best guys working today. If he gets inducted, I hope his band gets that honor as well as he's had the same drummer, bassist, and guitarist since 1982 and the keyboardist Ruben since the early 90s.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Oh man, I am so pumped for the deep-cuts, no-parodies tour next year.
    you and me both! I'm hoping to catch the show in Seattle

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I saw a video of him making an album and he is someone that really puts a lot of work into not just the originals but also the parodies. He talks about time signatures and all of these things needed for a song. The man is a genius and his band is definitely some of the best guys working today. If he gets inducted, I hope his band gets that honor as well as he's had the same drummer, bassist, and guitarist since 1982 and the keyboardist Ruben since the early 90s.

Highly recommended viewing for anyone who's a fan but maybe didn't realize just how involved Al is. As a kid I thought he just wrote funny words and other people did everything else. Could not have been more wrong, and that's one of the reasons I admire him as an artist.

Agreed completely about his band. Who else can you name who has remained almost entirely intact since the early 80s?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/elvisarama/status/968635778841698304

No idea how to actually embed a tweet here (thought I saw one in another post, but I guess not). Anyway...tweet from someone who was at the first show claims that all concerts will have the audio recordings released for "streaming" after the tour.

I've heard stuff like this before that never came to fruition, so I'm not counting this as confirmed. But man oh man, is it exciting all the same.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    They played Nature Trail to Hell and Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota last night.

I cannot believe I won't get to see this tour.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Update:

Not only did I make it to the tour, but I met the man himself! Forgot there was a thread for him here.

Anywho...starting 6/24, every show from the tour will be available here. Soundboards, of course. Score.

http://www.stitcherpremium.com/weirdal

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Weird Al is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...195433799.html

Now get him in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    He's back on tour...but now with an orchestra!!

www.weirdal.com/tour