Thread: Harvey Weinstein

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The devil's advocate position is another tired, old anti-feminist chestnut. Best avoided!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The devil's advocate position is another tired, old anti-feminist chestnut. Best avoided!
    That’s the problem I have with these “it’s not about gender” arguments, which seem to limit gender only to science male/female indicators and ignores gender (roles) as a social construct. We’ve seen this happen MANY times in the feminist thread, here, where users we know to be male complain about social justice warriors blaming men for everything and women are way better off than they used to be and any complaints are just whining and blah blah blah. And a good many of us here now attribute that to just plain old trolling, not devil’s advocate. It just starts up what is happening now. It’s like: Mission Accomplished.

I don’t see how debate is meaningful, here. Maybe it’s my advanced age, but I think discussion about where this happens, how we may be a part of the system, and how to fix it is a useful discussion.

Journalists in Italy are blaming the victims in this HW mess due to what they were WEARING. One Italian article showed an old movie photo of a half-naked Asia Argento (in an Italian movie about strippers or something) and inferred that she’s a whore.

We are still in the Stone Age.

Mayim Bialik thinks her being a nice religious Jewish girl who dressed modestly protected her from sexual harassment.

When discussing sexual harassment and assault, we DO need to give agency to females. Placing females solely in the “poor victims who need to be protected” category only serves to decrease their power.

Guys like HW do what they do NOT for sex; they do it for POWER; they do it from a place of hate and the desire for more power.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-16-2017 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    When discussing sexual harassment and assault, we DO need to give agency to females. Placing females solely in the “poor victims who need to be protected” category only serves to decrease their power.
    Made me think of this, which I just saw posted earlier this morning elsewhere.