Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvey Weinstein

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Harvey Weinstein

I didn't see a thread, so I made one. The sordid details of how Harvey Weinstein used his position of power to sexually harass women in Hollywood are becoming more graphic every day. It was also revealed that Matt Damon may have played a part in quashing a NY Times article about Weinstein in 2004. His buddy Ben Affleck just recently wrote a Facebook entry to condemn Weinstein's behavior. Shortly after Affleck posted the entry, some twitter users reminded him that he groped Hilarie Burton in 2003 on the set of Total Request Live. In the past, he has also defended his brother Casey who was the subject of widespread sexual assault allegations. Actors such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Rose McGowan have come forward with their own shocking stories of what it was like to work with Weinstein. This has been on my mind a lot because I experienced something similar in my own life.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/entert...ion/index.html

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I wasn't surprised by this considering how many stories I've heard about him as a bully. I'm just surprised that it had been hidden for so long and I'm glad it's coming out. I really hope he dies penniless. Not just for what he did to women but also for abusing his power in the industry. Guillermo del Toro recently talked about working with Weinstein on Mimic which nearly made del Toro quit filmmaking: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/gui...ce-1201886601/

This is just one of many stories of the notorious Harvey Scissorhands as he's been involved in trying to get films re-cut with Wong Kar-Wai's The Grandmaster being the most recent to my knowledge as I saw the re-cut version which is an abomination though I was glad to watch the 130-minute Chinese cut of the film which is a must-see.

There is also the legendary story relating to All the Pretty Horses directed by Billy Bob Thornton and starring Matt Damon, Penelope Cruz, and Henry Thomas. Weinstein is known for being very petty as he was upset over the fact that Thornton was able to get his way over the length of Sling Blade as Thornton was hoping All the Pretty Horses was going to be something special. Well, it had a cut over three hours with a score by Daniel Lanois and Weinstein got his revenge by having the film cut to around two hours and have Lanois' score replaced by music from Marty Stuart and a couple of other composers. It nearly destroyed Thornton who never worked with Weinstein ever again.

The one person I've noticed that hasn't said anything is Quentin Tarantino who is known for working with Weinstein and had released all of his films with Weinstein's help. He's been silent. I wonder what he has to say. The only people I know that have defended Weinstein are Donna Karan, Lindsay Lohan, and Geraldo Rivera. Talk about scumbags.

On a somewhat related note, here is a video from Evan Rachel Wood who talked about the whole Weinstein thing and her own experiences with sexual abuse:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing that void99. After I posted this thread, I found a comment about Weinstein in the Random Celebrity Headlines thread in the Headlines forum. I probably should've posted in there instead of creating a new thread. I just joined this forum less than 6 months ago. I can't call myself a regular member and I don't post as often as I should. I've been really occupied by my job since the end of August when my workload doubled.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I follow Asia Argento, Tony Bourdain, Rose McGowan and Ronan Farrow on Twitter. This is crazy how it’s been covered up for this long, because HW held so much power. But, this shit happens to women in all kinds of jobs, all the time, it’s been happening forever. I just hope we can all band together to get it to stop. It’s happened to my Mom at work, it’s happened to me at work, it’s happened to lots of my girlfriends at work, it is just far too damned common. And the AUDACITY of HW doing this to girls whose parents were well-known in Hollywood just shows what a fucking sick asshole he is. He should burn in Hell.

Tomorrow is #WomenBoycottTwitter day (Twitter suspended Rose McGowan’s Twitter account for 12 hours.). Fuck them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I follow Asia Argento, Tony Bourdain, Rose McGowan and Ronan Farrow on Twitter. This is crazy how it’s been covered up for this long, because HW held so much power. But, this shit happens to women in all kinds of jobs, all the time, it’s been happening forever. I just hope we can all band together to get it to stop. It’s happened to my Mom at work, it’s happened to me at work, it’s happened to lots of my girlfriends at work, it is just far too damned common. And the AUDACITY of HW doing this to girls whose parents were well-known in Hollywood just shows what a fucking sick asshole he is. He should burn in Hell.

Tomorrow is #WomenBoycottTwitter day (Twitter suspended Rose McGowan’s Twitter account for 12 hours.). Fuck them.
    That shit is wrong. Just because she is speaking out over something bad that happened to her yet they still air the bullshit that GWOTUS puts out. Fuck that bullshit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Mew York Post did a thing on Page Six demeaning one of Weinstein’s victims. FOAD, NY Post.

Rose McGowan tweeted that we should give Lindsey Lohan some slack because Hollywood fucks with young girl’s heads.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh it just keeps getting worse:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ssment-1048337

Weinstein’s wife has now left him, too.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The Mew York Post did a thing on Page Six demeaning one of Weinstein’s victims. FOAD, NY Post.

Rose McGowan tweeted that we should give Lindsey Lohan some slack because Hollywood fucks with young girl’s heads.
    Actually, Lohan has been acting like a contrarian lately for attention.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This whole thing should be a wake up call, not just for his actions but everyone who has been freely exploiting it. Question is, will it?

These scandals appear every few years now, crucifying the culprit (and rightly so) but it just keeps happening!

I remember thinking back to the 90's and 00's. I'd joke on bad actors "Who'd they have to sleep with to get this job". Turns out it was HW (and mostly likely others), and not just bad ones, probably against their will (which probably could account for said bad performance).

Fuck anyone that does this.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    The one person I've noticed that hasn't said anything is Quentin Tarantino who is known for working with Weinstein and had released all of his films with Weinstein's help. He's been silent. I wonder what he has to say.
    Consider the Silence broken...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...in-allegations

Also turns out James Woods is a bit of a creep too...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh my God, Weinstein is so fucked up, this is all getting worse and worse:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b046f5ad984211

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Oh my God, Weinstein is so fucked up, this is all getting worse and worse:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b046f5ad984211
    what a fucking piece of shit.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    After I posted this thread, I found a comment about Weinstein in the Random Celebrity Headlines thread in the Headlines forum. I probably should've posted in there instead of creating a new thread. I just joined this forum less than 6 months ago. I can't call myself a regular member and I don't post as often as I should. I've been really occupied by my job since the end of August when my workload doubled.
    No need to worry, I certainly think this thread is an appropriate place to discuss this issue, but if the mods disagree, it will be moved.

I'm really upset that men in positions of power continue to enjoy this cone of silence when they abuse women. Not just in Hollywood, certainly, although the "casting couch" cliche exists there for a reason. It's unacceptable, and we owe a debt of thanks to the women who come forward when the silence finally breaks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I knew the guy was creepy after seeing him on television for a couple minutes back in 1999. The only shock I have coming out of this is just how exactly right I was back then.

FWIW, I don't mind there's a thread about this, but would rather see it in the "Headlines" section.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    He's a rapist now, more than he is a film producer, so I welcome this thread being moved to the news forum.

Also, he should go to jail: he's a danger to others.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Calling @sweeterthan

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not just in Hollywood, certainly
    No, certainly not, sexual harassment is and has been an epidemic for a long long time.

It branches into sexual assault or demands for sexual favors FAR more than people realize.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Calling @sweeterthan
    I'm out right now but I'll move this when I get to a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    pick up artists (PUAs) teach men that they should continue to escalate until a woman says no.. if the woman doesn't say no, keep going... also they say even if a woman says no..you can try again to escalate later.

This reminds me of the Weinstein situation

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I just unliked Ben's FB page. Not only did he grope Hilarie Burton, he was also inappropriate with a female reporter. I bet Jen is glad she divorced him. He also had problems with gambling and alcohol abuse.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I just unliked Ben's FB page. Not only did he grope Hilarie Burton, he was also inappropriate with a female reporter. I bet Jen is glad she divorced him. He also had problems with gambling and alcohol abuse.
    His public apology on twitter is interesting. I don't think a twitter apology solves the situation but it is almost unbelievable to see a celebrity account take responsibility so immediately. Is there a precedent for this? I've been obsessing over it for two days. Is it because he can't hide it? Or because he's a grown up now and realizes his mistake?

I guess the affleck twitter apology makes me hopeful that this awful tide is turning, even with president pussy grabber in office.

As for Weinstein, I'm surprised at the number of women who say "why didn't these women speak up sooner?" I feel like every woman should know that aggressors don't even have to be rich and powerful to get away with misogyny. It happens at every class level because it's been the normal for so long.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Amazon just cancelled the David O. Russell (another Hollywood sweetheart) show in light of this news as it was a co-production with TWC.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    as for weinstein, i'm surprised at the number of women who say "why didn't these women speak up sooner?" i feel like every woman should know that aggressors don't even have to be rich and powerful to get away with misogyny. It happens at every class level because it's been the normal for so long.
    AMEN to this.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    As for Weinstein, I'm surprised at the number of women who say "why didn't these women speak up sooner?" I feel like every woman should know that aggressors don't even have to be rich and powerful to get away with misogyny. It happens at every class level because it's been the normal for so long.
    Absolutely. Sexual assault and harassment can also be sneaky and escalate over time and not as blatant as Weinstein’s actions. I can think of two instances in my late teens and early 20’s, one at work where my manager became increasingly inappropriate and suggestive in comments and behavior. Another instance involved a massage that went way too far from my friend’s boyfriend’s father while my friend was in the same room! Sometimes as it happens you are just frozen in place from shock. It was mostly in retrospect that I realized how fucked up these situations became.

Why these women didn’t speak up sooner is irrelevant to Weinstein’s abhorrent actions, and I am also suprised at the number of people/women that are asking that question.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    His brother Bob isn't holding back:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...htmare-1048905

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Wow, one of those times when we needed to listen to her.

There was also this story during the production of Brideshead Revisited starring Matthew Goode, Ben Whishaw, Hayley Atwell, and Emma Thompson where there was a lunch break as Harvey was on the set visiting and he was appalled over Hayley Atwell's figure as she was eating lunch. He called her a fat pig. Emma Thompson found out and tore Harvey a new asshole and threatened to quit the production if he didn't apologize to Atwell. I fucking love Emma Thompson.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)