Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
As for Weinstein, I'm surprised at the number of women who say "why didn't these women speak up sooner?" I feel like every woman should know that aggressors don't even have to be rich and powerful to get away with misogyny. It happens at every class level because it's been the normal for so long.
Absolutely. Sexual assault and harassment can also be sneaky and escalate over time and not as blatant as Weinstein’s actions. I can think of two instances in my late teens and early 20’s, one at work where my manager became increasingly inappropriate and suggestive in comments and behavior. Another instance involved a massage that went way too far from my friend’s boyfriend’s father while my friend was in the same room! Sometimes as it happens you are just frozen in place from shock. It was mostly in retrospect that I realized how fucked up these situations became.

Why these women didn’t speak up sooner is irrelevant to Weinstein’s abhorrent actions, and I am also suprised at the number of people/women that are asking that question.