Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I hate that band. ugh.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    To be fair, "Find My Way" doesn't come off as mocking. And, while I don't think Reznor's ever going to put out a Christian record, one of the steps to recovery is belief in a higher power. While that might not be the Catholic, capitalized "G" God, it means something bigger than himself. I can see him "praying" to a higher power in some of his later work.
    Yes, one of the steps in "traditional 12 step" recovery is belief in a higher power. But that's not how everyone recovers and who knows if that was TR's route. 12 step is actually extremely dated in my opinion. But I agree with the rest of your comment.

I hate that band as well.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Yes, one of the steps in "traditional 12 step" recovery is belief in a higher power. But that's not how everyone recovers and who knows if that was TR's route. 12 step is actually extremely dated in my opinion. But I agree with the rest of your comment.

I hate that band as well.
    I have to agree with you on the traditional 12 step being outdated. It was heavily infused with religious sentiment from the outset and became accepted by scientists over time because it does have better results than no treatment at all, but the relapse rate is still extremely high. If it works for someone I say stick with it but others just end up in a revolving door in and out of rehab.

But to the point about a higher power, who can't find a power greater than themselves? I'm an atheist/agnostic but even so I think anyone with half a brain can see humans are bottom rung when it comes to power throughout the universe. For fucks sake a peanut allergy can take a person out not to even mention natural disaster and random accidents. I think the key mistake in 12 steps is they are essentially teaching vulnerable people that there is some kind of order to all this when evidence clearly points in the opposite direction. Now what's an addict to do when reality doesn't map onto their version of a higher power? Their system is broken and they revert back to killing the pain with drugs. The key is to realize there's no evidence of a god coming from the sky to save anyone so instead of putting blame on a higher power maybe folks ought to take more personal responsibility and handle their shit, keep their ego in check, and grow as a person. I think addiction would take care of itself if people took those steps. And just to be clear, if people want to believe in whatever thing they choose thats fine by me but forcing irrationality on addicts and calling it treatment? Seems like we can do better.

Would be hilarious if this third EP is all gospel song covers though

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Full-on noisy TDS-style industrial Tetsuo-infused cover of I Can Only Imagine to cap off the trilogy with vinyl-only B-side bonus track cover of a Minute To Breathe-style Jesus Is My Friend

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=burnmotherfucker!;390983]I have to agree with you on the traditional 12 step being outdated. It was heavily infused with religious sentiment from the outset and became accepted by scientists over time because it does have better results than no treatment at all, but the relapse rate is still extremely high. If it works for someone I say stick with it but others just end up in a revolving door in and out of rehab.

I would like to clarify that the 12 Step Program does not publish results. On that same note, the most recent internal documents obtained (Penn & Teller's B.S. show) mentions their success rate. It is exactly the same as the success rate for addicts who don't seek ANY treatment. In other words, you have the exact same chance of quitting whether you go to 12 steps or you don't. The 12 Steps program does not work, and scientists have NEVER accepted it "over time" as you suggest. Your statement about it having better results than no treatment at all, is untrue. Sorry, but I'm a little sensitive to FAKE NEWS lately.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=atomobile;391049]
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    I have to agree with you on the traditional 12 step being outdated. It was heavily infused with religious sentiment from the outset and became accepted by scientists over time because it does have better results than no treatment at all, but the relapse rate is still extremely high. If it works for someone I say stick with it but others just end up in a revolving door in and out of rehab.

I would like to clarify that the 12 Step Program does not publish results. On that same note, the most recent internal documents obtained (Penn & Teller's B.S. show) mentions their success rate. It is exactly the same as the success rate for addicts who don't seek ANY treatment. In other words, you have the exact same chance of quitting whether you go to 12 steps or you don't. The 12 Steps program does not work, and scientists have NEVER accepted it "over time" as you suggest. Your statement about it having better results than no treatment at all, is untrue. Sorry, but I'm a little sensitive to FAKE NEWS lately.
    Point taken and I stand corrected! I actually have seen that P&T bullshit episode but it was many years ago. Perhaps there is some confusion between rehab programs that report vs 12 step itself and thats where those numbers come from? In any case I was only playing devil's advocate against my own argument in stating that just to give benefit of the doubt so if you are correct in saying the rates are the same as someone not seeking treatment then I think the overall point I was making becomes stronger. Also I certainly misspoke in saying it was accepted by scientists, I meant doctors (as far as I know it is usually recommended by the system, no?).

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

Perhaps there is some confusion between rehab programs that report vs 12 step itself and thats where those numbers come from?
    Yep. I'm not sure why someone would claim that "the 12 Step Program" doesn't publish results but Penn & Teller were able to get accurate information. That's straight out of the Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura playbook.

-----------------------------------

Just present it as your opinion instead of fact, because you clearly have no clue what you're talking about. You called it "the 12 Step Program".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What the hell is going on in this thread? Every time I see an unread post notification, I get excited that I'm gonna read something useful but instead it's devolved from guessing album titles, to alternate timelines, to some strange Jesus reference, to 12 step programs? Get ahold of yourselves ETS, we're all frothing at the mouth to get this thing but god damn!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    instead it's devolved from guessing album titles, to alternate timelines, to some strange Jesus reference, to 12 step programs?
    Every great ETS NIN-related thread must include at least those things.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    What the hell is going on in this thread? Every time I see an unread post notification, I get excited that I'm gonna read something useful but instead it's devolved from guessing album titles, to alternate timelines, to some strange Jesus reference, to 12 step programs? Get ahold of yourselves ETS, we're all frothing at the mouth to get this thing but god damn!
    I keep waiting for someone to reference the third film in the Cornetto trilogy due to similarity in the thread title

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I keep waiting for someone to reference the third film in the Cornetto trilogy due to similarity in the thread title
    CONFIRMED: the title of the final EP will be "You've Got Red On You".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, apparently only a handful of us care anymore and...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    It'll be ready when it's ready, soon...

Personally i'm starting to think we won't see anything 'new' until closer to the next run of show's, but i have been known to be wrong.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

OCTOBER 2017 Interview (which is after NTAE and AV release; and before part 3)

I like this interview, they talk a bit about their writing process... you also see something extremely rare... TR smile.

AR talks about how over time his involvement has changed, it answers the question if AR has more input, control (compared to past albums) in regards to designing, arranging, and structuring the tracks and ultimately the final product (song). TR says WE alot.

I'm going to have to go back to my old high school and find all the engravings made by the goth kids and make updates "TRENT & ATTICUS ARE GOD"

I feel like NTAE and AV have a quite bit of a HTDA vibe and sound... anyone else?
    Last edited by snaapz; 01-05-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The dreamer in me hopes it'll be out or at least announced by the end of the month, but the much more prominent realist/pessimist side of me knows better. My money's on mid-March.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I agree about the HTDA vibe. It's good though, don't get me wrong and it's not present in every song, imo.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To be fair, "Find My Way" doesn't come off as mocking. And, while I don't think Reznor's ever going to put out a Christian record, one of the steps to recovery is belief in a higher power. While that might not be the Catholic, capitalized "G" God, it means something bigger than himself. I can see him "praying" to a higher power in some of his later work.
    Exactly. I think he uses "Lord" and the likes because some education of a christian background. Nothing wrong with that.
    "I pray, etc. etc." - I think every human being is entitled to take back some of the shit that has done (read, released LOL).
    TR has the right to do this, no shame in recognizing. It's his own journey.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    I feel like NTAE and AV have a quite bit of a HTDA vibe and sound... anyone else?
    I don't think so. There's a grit to both EPs that's not really present on either of the HTDA releases. Obviously there will be things that carry over from that since Trent & Atticus are the main music makers for HTDA (that lovely swarm guitar is ever present), and there are certainly parallels to be found (including "I can't seem to tell if I am dreaming anymore" in We Fade Away AND Burning Bright) but I don't think you can paint them all with the same brush necessarily.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    3rd EP Release date speculation...

Record Store Day, Saturday, April 21, 2018.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This EP is taking so long... April 21 is so far away.
    Just when I was sticking to the February mindset... here comes April.
    This is over "the 6 or 8 month period".

- These words did come out of my mouth, didn't they? (...) and now as a barring act of god (...) more two EPs within a 6 to 8 month period.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    im clinging to the hope that tomorrow is the day

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    im clinging to the hope that tomorrow is the day
    Oh god. It didn't happen. We're really in limbo now aren't we?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    they're hit or miss. Have some great songs and plenty of bad ones too. Love how their rhythm section is recorded/produced on their stuff too. They can get quite the groove going on some of their jams:

Come on...that's fun!
    I will never understand the appeal of this band, but I dig Whitesnake, so what the hell do I know?
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I will never understand the appeal of this band, but I dig Whitesnake, so what the hell do I know?

Well, if you're talking about pre-glam and Doug Aldritch-era Whitesnake . Then we're in business though the glam-period of the band was alright for all of its cheesiness.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This is still a Nine Inch Nails forum, right?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Well, NOT ANYMOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I really do hope they surprise everyone by actually releasing a new album in 2018 and having it be amazing, but yeah... I'll believe it when I'm actually listening to it.
    Also, how is Vampire Weekend #1??
    Yes, I'm sure that the 15 people that actually listen to Vampire Weekend are super excited.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Yes, I'm sure that the 15 people that actually listen to Vampire Weekend are super excited.
    And, based on the frantic energy of every fucking song they do, the excitement of 15 fans is equivalent to that of 150,000 fans of some other band.
    Like I said before...exhausting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    And, based on the frantic energy of every fucking song they do, the excitement of 15 fans is equivalent to that of 150,000 fans of some other band.
    Like I said before...exhausting.
    Meh, I just don't hear it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    They have plenty of non-frantic songs, and they are popular with fans too: