Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    We would all love for it to come out in December, of course! I think January or February is more realistic, but that's not TOO far away, really. They're supposedly touring in the summer, so I agree that it should be out before June. We'll for sure have another five (maybe more?) new tracks to sink our teeth into within the next six months and I consider that to be exciting, especially considering how great the last two have been. Hopefully they release all three in a combined album-like structure with sweet new art/packaging that adds to the experience and maybe even include some new segues, extended cuts, and/or bonus track(s) to enrich the experience and make it a worthwhile purchase for those that already own the separate EPs...
    Completely agree. They've been know to "deconstruct" and reconstruct songs. They are not just going to shuffle them around they're going to remix and who knows what to the songs and give us a slightly different experience when it's all said and done.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm a huge fan of this trilogy and think it's as interesting and good as anything Trent's ever done potentially but I expect nothing more than another EP out of it. As cool as the reworked full album idea sounds, I feel like once they're done with this material they'll naturally want to move onto something else rather than obsess back over it, and it sounds a lot like the kind of "cool concept that I'm overpromising on right now because it has my imagination going in this particular instance" vibe that so many of the abandoned NIN projects have had (the With Teeth special packaging and essay, the Fragile surround mix, the Tension blu-ray that overgrew into a multi-film project that then got shelved, etc.). If we get it I'll be thrilled and surprised but if not I won't be shocked at all.

I'm hoping the next EP blends the sound of the past two together. Each one felt like a great presentation of a specific side of NIN and to combine the two would be really interesting.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this trilogy and think it's as interesting and good as anything Trent's ever done potentially but I expect nothing more than another EP out of it. As cool as the reworked full album idea sounds, I feel like once they're done with this material they'll naturally want to move onto something else rather than obsess back over it, and it sounds a lot like the kind of "cool concept that I'm overpromising on right now because it has my imagination going in this particular instance" vibe that so many of the abandoned NIN projects have had (the With Teeth special packaging and essay, the Fragile surround mix, the Tension blu-ray that overgrew into a multi-film project that then got shelved, etc.). If we get it I'll be thrilled and surprised but if not I won't be shocked at all.

I'm hoping the next EP blends the sound of the past two together. Each one felt like a great presentation of a specific side of NIN and to combine the two would be really interesting.
    After hearing that last radio interview where TR mentioned that the 3rd EP was taking longer to make and for it to reveal itself than they had initially anticipated, I think you are right. And I think you hit the nail on the head as far as TR being excited in the moment when announcing projects that fizzle out or just never come to fruition (like the examples you provided and, you know, Tapeworm). But even if the rearranged album-format idea he suggested last year doesn't become a reality and they instead decide to focus their efforts and energies on the future and the next evolution of NIN, I'm even more excited to see what that will be, so bring it on! After the breath of fresh air that these two EPs have been, I'm VERY excited to see what a new NIN album could sound like in 2019 (or 2021)!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    We're way off topic by now, but here goes: https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/survive/
    Didn't know there was an "Outside" sequel planned. Maybe one day Trent can take a stab at finishing it?

Thanks for sharing this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of this trilogy... but I expect nothing more than another EP out of it.
    I agree. I'd be fascinated to hear an in-depth interview with Trent and Atticus once this whole project has come to an end. Maybe they've even been filming it for a documentary or something? (bit of wishful thinking there) - But yes, it would of course be interesting to see how a combined album would pan out, but I full expect things to come to an end once the third EP does arrive. On the first point made there - I really do believe that creatively Nine Inch Nails is in a really good place right now, and the two EPs have panned out so much better than I think anyone expected. I just hope that in doing things this way they haven't put too much pressure on themselves because there are (I think) some rather high expectations for how things project will be concluded.

From what has been said they are trying to keep a looseness to this period of recording, which has - on record - been really successful, but I still don't understand what has happened with any potential ARG type event. It seems to me that there was supposed to be something happening, but either it fell through entirely, ended up being a touch too ambitious, or just as likely was intended to be frustratingly vague just to wind people up and maintain interest but with no real outcome planned. Personally I'm not bothered about 'playing the game', but I am fascinated in the ideas behind it all.

Regardless - here's hoping we definitely do have something new by June. Tell you what though - I'd be stoked if they do knock something out at the early shows before it's actually released. When was the last time Nine Inch Nails played new material before it had been officially released? Back to Year Zero I guess.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    When was the last time Nine Inch Nails played new material before it had been officially released? Back to Year Zero I guess.
    Copy Of A, Find My Way and Disappointed were played live before the studio/single release at summer festival shows back in 2013.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Copy Of A, Find My Way and Disappointed were played live before the studio/single release at summer festival shows back in 2013.
    The Lovers was also played at the first show last year, which was two days before Add Violence came out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    TR/NIN has always tried to do cool things with new tech. I wonder if he would ever consider VR as a way of interacting with the overall experience. I mean we have all seen music videos, Closure, flipped through booklets, flipped through (ghost) books, browsed websites, watch their CD change colour, got dust on our hands, NIN APP, some lucky people got survival boxes, logarithmic spectrometer image... etc...

Imagine if there was a VR experience for something upcoming? Imagine how creepy a 'CBH' VR experience would be...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    ^^
    It's probably only a matter of time before concerts start being filmed and streamed in VR.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i fucking hate VR and augmented reality. i realize this is an old man yells at cloud moment, but as someone who works with audio/video for my day job, and really appreciates a good sound system and a great television, i just can't stand that shit. i also think 3D is mostly stupid. until i can walk on to a holodeck and actually interact with everything in the simulated environment, i don't give a shit.

/rant

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I would argue that The fragile is not a concept album based solely off of the early setlist that had the songs in a completely different order. The downward spiral though has a clear story to it no different than the other ones you mentioned.
    Well, that's kind of like saying Pulp Fiction isn't a movie because the scenes aren't shown in the order they happened. The broadest definition of "concept album" is ""an album in which its tracks hold a larger purpose or meaning collectively than they do individually," which can be applied to almost any NIN album and arguably the majority of albums out there. So all I'm saying is that most people who use the term "concept album" are referring to the very small number of albums where the songs work together to tell a specific story, i.e. Tommy or Outside where characters and plot points are referenced within the songs. You could even go so far as to say Year Zero doesn't qualify for the strictest definition of the term, as the songs don't really reference the narrative directly (rather the narrative serves more as a backdrop to a collection of songs inspired by it), but that's obviously getting needlessly strict with the definition.

So again, I think when people ask "will this trilogy combine to be a concept album?," the question is not about whether the songs will all work together thematically (which it's already obvious they do - I like the way Zane Lowe said the first two EP's "talk to each other"), but rather the question is whether or not the third EP will fill in the blanks to tell a clear story. It's unlikely 5 or 6 songs could do that on their own, but the ARG/YZ references surrounding Add Violence suggest we might at the very least get a website or some other supplemental material to flesh out the narrative.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I would expect an announcement about “EP3” late April or early May.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    I would expect an announcement about “EP3” late April or early May.
    Yeah, same thought here.

The EP announcement around late April.
    The release taking place on the second week of May.

I expect CD releases to come along now with this one.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    That would be sex.

Yes, please.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Yeah, same thought here.

I expect CD releases to come along now with this one.
    dont get your hopes up. First tour date is 6/13 so EP should be released 6/12. Or in the morning on 6/13

edit - 6/13 is a Wednesday so it will be announced to be released on 6/15 but actually available for download on 6/13

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah... as much as I want it to come out in a couple of weeks, June seems more likely.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    dont get your hopes up. First tour date is 6/13 so EP should be released 6/12. Or in the morning on 6/13

edit - 6/13 is a Wednesday so it will be announced to be released on 6/15 but actually available for download on 6/13
    We got the AV single a week before the release. So we might get a song or two released a week before 6/13. Earlier could also be a possibility depending on what happens. Trent mentioned in an interview for AV that he released that single the moment it was done being mixed and explained he doesn't pre-plan releases and just puts them out as they're done. So really it could drop any time between now and June. Who knows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Yeah... as much as I want it to come out in a couple of weeks, June seems more likely.
    I can wait until June. I just can't wait for the announcement. Not knowing when it'll be here sucks. I am forced to check several times a day for news and updates, which makes the wait seem so much longer.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I can wait until June. I just can't wait for the announcement. Not knowing when it'll be here sucks. I am forced to check several times a day for news and updates, which makes the wait seem so much longer.
    I totally get you with having to constantly check back. We have actually had an announcement that the EP will "probably" be out sometime before the shows in London, although that's not particularly specific.

We should get some kind of news within the next 6 weeks. I hope we won't have another With Teeth situation where the album came out after the initial club tour. That was exciting but it was also weird to try to digest the live versions of the songs before absorbing the studio versions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I totally get you with having to constantly check back. We have actually had an announcement that the EP will "probably" be out sometime before the shows in London, although that's not particularly specific.

We should get some kind of news within the next 6 weeks. I hope we won't have another With Teeth situation where the album came out after the initial club tour. That was exciting but it was also weird to try to digest the live versions of the songs before absorbing the studio versions.
    He didn't specify "before the shows in London" he simply said "before the shows begin". There is not doubt it will be here before June 13 the date of the first show. How soon before that, no one knows.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    no one knows.
    Which is the worst on the ninernets.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Subscribe to Twitter status updates and push to text. Then no extra checking required.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Calling it now, it'll be out on my birthday May 30th because Trent loves me...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Guys.
    June.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Since we know EP3 will be out in the next two months, I can handle this wait. What I can't stand is when there's no timeline, no info, and TR is vague about EVERYTHING he's working on.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    6/7/2018 4:01 AM Pacific

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    Subscribe to Twitter status updates and push to text. Then no extra checking required.
    I do this too but I also have it set up for email updates, Facebook, and Instagram so when the last two EPs came out I was flooded with NIN notifications 🤣

...not that I’m complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    Thank you. I am already subscribed but I still get excited and check. I can't help myself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thank you. I am already subscribed but I still get excited and check. I can't help myself.

Ahh okay. The anticipation is killing me haha. My thought is that he will release it June 15th. After the first vegas show. or on same day as the second.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Guys.
    June.
    I have a strong feeling it will be out way before June. Any day now.