Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I doubt it will be the case, but I would love it to be the case that the third EP completes an abstract picture for us, and we're then presented with a definitive order for a 15-track album that's comprised of all the EP songs. Were that the case, I'd be shocked if "Branches/Bones" weren't the ultimate opener and "The Background World" the absolute closer. But again, I doubt it'll happen that way.
    This is actually a good thought for a turn over.
    The EPs were never EPs but an entire album.
    It's like parts of it had been released to spice it up, grouping the similar tracks to feel like an EP.
    But what if it is actually an album and "not really the actual ep events".
    That will catch me OFF guard.
    The good thing is that I didn't order anything yet.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    There's a lot more that goes into a film or TV project. To bust out a 5 song EP is relatively easy. I can't see them bailing on this project.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. Making 5 (or maybe even 6 or 7?) more songs shouldn't be too hard for them.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    To form further links back to past works in order to mystify the NIN community, it would be optimal if each LP sleeve would be filled with honey and contain a slight puncture to denote prior locations and/or form a traceable shipping route if dealing with Sandbag

Yes, I've had a bit of cough medicine today

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was pondering over the sums of these EPs...
    I struggle to find a connection between NTAE and AV.
    The songs don't match for an album...
    NTAE is more like With Teeth... and AV is more like Hesitation Marks or Year Zero.
    I wonder what will it come out of the third EP and whether there is a connection between them.
    Last edited by Quantum550; 10-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I agree somewhat, but I see it like this: NTAE is like Broken/With Teeth/HM, AV is like The Fragile/With Teeth.

The name of the 3rd EP is Bleedthrough.
    Nah, man. The name of the third EP is 'cauterize'. (though Manson would call it 'caught her eyes' lol)
    Last edited by Lew; 10-18-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I want something in the vein of Still for the third EP.
    If the eps are supposed to be a sort of microcosmic representation of NIN as a whole, i'd be willing to bet that the "callbacks" will be to both PHM and HM and the album will be exceptionally smooth, albeit in a slightly denser, more "artsy" fashion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As stoked as I am for this new EP to get here, part of me is going to be bummed when it does. It's been nice the last 14 months knowing that new NIN music is coming. After this EP is released, who knows when we'll get more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It was said that the third EP would be released by the end of next month. Any bets? Over under?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It was said that the third EP would be released by the end of next month. Any bets? Over under?
    By who? TR stated in that email that they'd be released 6-8 months apart. 6 months from Add Violence (July 21) would be the end of January. He DID originally say in an interview from late 2016 that both would come out in 2017 (though that may have changed in the past 9 months), but I'm starting to think it'll be early 2018. He also said during the Q&A in Chicago that there wasn't any music for it yet, just lyrics. Here's hoping for another x-mas present from Trent, though!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I never assume when a NIN album is going to be released. It either is or isn't in my mind.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    He claimed a few months ago he had nothing written. People are dreaming if they think its coming next month. My guess is it will drop right around when the 2018 tour starts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm dreaming then. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's here by the end of the year but I'll be disappointed if its too much later. Being that it's part of an announced trilogy, it feels as though there is more of a time sensitivity to its release. I assume a tour would be mid 2018 and I can't imagine it being released that late. If they say it'll be here "soon" I'll start to get worried.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm dreaming then. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's here by the end of the year but I'll be disappointed if its too much later. Being that it's part of an announced trilogy, it feels as though there is more of a time sensitivity to its release. I assume a tour would be mid 2018 and I can't imagine it being released that late. If they say it'll be here "soon" I'll start to get worried.
    We would all love for it to come out in December, of course! I think January or February is more realistic, but that's not TOO far away, really. They're supposedly touring in the summer, so I agree that it should be out before June. We'll for sure have another five (maybe more?) new tracks to sink our teeth into within the next six months and I consider that to be exciting, especially considering how great the last two have been. Hopefully they release all three in a combined album-like structure with sweet new art/packaging that adds to the experience and maybe even include some new segues, extended cuts, and/or bonus track(s) to enrich the experience and make it a worthwhile purchase for those that already own the separate EPs...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-01-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wishful thinking but I'm hoping for an Add Violence type release date where the new single is released the same time as the first show and immediately thrown into rotation. Houston this time around.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    According to what Trent said, the EP will arrive in December.
    He said that weeks before July and it happened (Add Violence).
    I think distributing the music is being a pain right now because of two failing online retailers - Firebrand & Sandbag.
    Perhaps it was a bad decision coming up with the vinyl thing not doing the proper strong paper jacket - too many complaints and returns.
    So this is would be not entirely Sandbag to blame for. Other artists are doing fine with CD distribution.

I would expect another year for an album, after the third EP is released.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm betting on either late December (like NTAE), or any time in January. To think that we will have no idea when new NIN will come after this (for now, at least)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    I don't know why everyone seems to think it's coming out next month. As I mentioned above, he said "6-8 months apart," which puts it between January 21 and March 21 (Add Violence came out July 21). Again, I'd like to be proven wrong here, but 7 weeks ago in Chicago, he said there was no music yet, just lyrics. He could have been lying to preserve a surprise, but I kind of doubt that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    He said that weeks before July and it happened (Add Violence).
    I think distributing the music is being a pain right now because of two failing online retailers - Firebrand & Sandbag.
    Perhaps it was a bad decision coming up with the vinyl thing not doing the proper strong paper jacket - too many complaints and returns.
    So this is would be not entirely Sandbag to blame for. Other artists are doing fine with CD distribution.

I would expect another year for an album, after the third EP is released.
    According to what he said where? Give me a source

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think some people just assumed it would be out in December since Not The Actual Events was released then, but yeah, I don't think Trent ever confirmed that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    People seem to think that it'll be here in December because that's when it was originally reported to be released. Since then, Trent has said things (in his interview with Zane Lowe) that sound as though it may come later. No one knows when it'll be here. Being that they release the digital files long before they release it on any other format, it really could drop at any time (my guess is Jan/Feb). I can't wait though. It feels as though I have been binge watching NTAE and AV and it ended with a serious cliff hanger. The last EP is going to wrap everything up in a nice little package.

Speaking of a nice little packages, earlier in the thread the release of all three EPs as one was discussed. Not only did Trent say that the complete trilogy will likely be released as one but it may include different versions of songs as well. I don't know how I missed that but Holy Shit! I really hope that happens.

http://loudwire.com/nine-inch-nails-...ve-full-album/
    Last edited by Jordan; 11-03-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Here's the original announcement of the trilogy. Find the word December in there

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...the_store_and/

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    People seem to think that it'll be here in December because that's when it was originally reported to be released.
    Sorry, but that's not true. The link you provided only reiterates what I have stated above (twice); that the ONLY reference to when it should be released is the "6-8 months apart" quote from the email we received apologizing for shipping delays and Fire Brand's less-than-stellar service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Sorry, but that's not true. The link you provided only reiterates what I have stated above (twice); that the ONLY reference to when it should be released is the "6-8 months apart" quote from the email we received apologizing for shipping delays and Fire Brand's less-than-stellar service.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ls-eps-w485980

"The final EP would come out by the end of 2017."
    I never claimed that Trent himself said it would be out by December 2017, I said that it was reported to be released by December 2017. I'm not arguing that it'll be here by December. I'm stating why I believe some think it will be. Again, who knows when it'll be here. It could be a year from now.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ls-eps-w485980

"The final EP would come out by the end of 2017."
    I never claimed that Trent himself said it would be out by December 2017, I said that it was reported to be released by December 2017. I'm not arguing that it'll be here by December. I'm stating why I believe some think it will be. Again, who knows when it'll be here. It could be a year from now.
    Fair enough. I don't think Rolling Stone has any more info on this than we do, but I guess that DOES count as being "reported" (accurately or otherwise) as being released by the end of the year. I'd love it if they were right, but I'm pretty sure they're wrong.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So basically rolling stone is bad at math (since the sentence before saying by the end of 2017 says the second would be late July)

but more importanrly, I forgot until I saw the linked story there that Trent did promise two "major" nine inch nails things this year. He specifically said nin and not soundtrack related and he said he wasn't planning on touring but was considering it so it's not those handful of shows. So it's possible he meant the 2 EPs since this was before they were announced but I'm wondering if something else is coming

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Trent did promise two "major" nine inch nails things this year. He specifically said nin and not soundtrack related and he said he wasn't planning on touring but was considering it so it's not those handful of shows. So it's possible he meant the 2 EPs since this was before they were announced but I'm wondering if something else is coming
    That's a good point. I forgot about that too. Well, it looks like we're back on the December train. Ha Ha

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    so if it comes out in December 2017, I guess we can expect the vinyl/CD in August 2018?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What are we arguing about here? Who's better at guessing?

I'll pitch in: "before APC's next album".

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That's a good point. I forgot about that too. Well, it looks like we're back on the December train. Ha Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So basically rolling stone is bad at math (since the sentence before saying by the end of 2017 says the second would be late July)

but more importanrly, I forgot until I saw the linked story there that Trent did promise two "major" nine inch nails things this year. He specifically said nin and not soundtrack related and he said he wasn't planning on touring but was considering it so it's not those handful of shows. So it's possible he meant the 2 EPs since this was before they were announced but I'm wondering if something else is coming
    I know I've been repeating myself in this thread a lot and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but he said that almost a year ago, back when they were only planning to tour in 2018. Then, if you remember, he said they got offers to play a handful of shows in 2017, which they hadn't initially been planning on. It's my personal belief that while he may have initially intended to release part 2 and part 3 in 2017, the I Can't Seem to Wake Up tour likely pushed back their original plans by a couple of months.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I know I've been repeating myself in this thread a lot and I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but he said that almost a year ago, back when they were only planning to tour in 2018. Then, if you remember, he said they got offers to play a handful of shows in 2017, which they hadn't initially been planning on. It's my personal belief that while he may have initially intended to release part 2 and part 3 in 2017, the I Can't Seem to Wake Up tour likely pushed back their original plans by a couple of months.
    The second thing might be something completely different. And at the time he said they weren't planning on touring but had some offers they were considering. And it was in the beginning of 2016 that he said they would have something out in 2016 and he released it in December just because he knew people were holding him to it.

I cant find the original "2 things in 2017" quote though so I don't know how definitive it was.