Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Aren't we suppose to get the 3rd installment this month as per the 6-8 month schedule Trent laid out in an interview from a while back?

I feel like this whole trilogy thing, while an interesting concept, is not the best idea to get our attention and stay into the new material.

Speaking for myself here but about a month or so after each release, I just kinda moved on to other things. With no tour and nothing to keep NIN in the spotlight I feel like this current cycle is just "meh" if you ask me.

Wondering if I'll ever feel the excitment that previous albums cycles brought me.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I feel like this whole trilogy thing, while an interesting concept, is not the best idea to get our attention and stay into the new material.
    Disagreed, especially since people are still talking about the first two EPs, and most people are on edge waiting for news about the final EP. I doubt this level of sustained interest would be kept if they had just released a single album.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 03-14-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Aren't we suppose to get the 3rd installment this month as per the 6-8 month schedule Trent laid out in an interview from a while back?

Speaking for myself here but about a month or so after each release, I just kinda moved on to other things. With no tour and nothing to keep NIN in the spotlight I feel like this current cycle is just "meh" if you ask me.

Wondering if I'll ever feel the excitment that previous albums cycles brought me.
    Not with that attitude! But seriously, if he weren't doing this EP cycle, the last new NIN (not TR & AR) you would have heard would be Hesitation Marks back in September of 2013. Because if these 3 EPs had been held onto and released as an album instead of three installments, you wouldn't have heard any of it until it was ALL done. I don't know if you were a fan in the '90s like I was, but I'm tired of waiting 5 years between albums!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Must be a Tool fan .

But serioulsy. How would one full album generate more buzz than the eps. The multi releases are keeping things hyped.
    Look at the ARG thread. Over 50 pages chasing something that may not exist.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

March 19th will be officially 8 months since AV. If we go past March 19 with no word, I expect the plan has changed and we probably won't get anything until June.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_tic_begins View Post
    Must be a Tool fan .

But serioulsy. How would one full album generate more buzz than the eps. The multi releases are keeping things hyped.
    Look at the ARG thread. Over 50 pages chasing something that may not exist.
    Call me old school but I prefer previous cycles which had some pre-release promotion with a lead single being released. Then, full album followed by a couple videos and full tour annoucement. We'd be talking about a specific album for years or until another release was out.

Like I said, I'm speaking for myself but cycles for With Teeth and YZ, let alone TDS and TF were much more exciting.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Not with that attitude! But seriously, if he weren't doing this EP cycle, the last new NIN (not TR & AR) you would have heard would be Hesitation Marks back in September of 2013. Because if these 3 EPs had been held onto and released as an album instead of three installments, you wouldn't have heard any of it until it was ALL done. I don't know if you were a fan in the '90s like I was, but I'm tired of waiting 5 years between albums!
    First of all, let's get one thing straight. I do not have an attitude. Just sharing my thoughts, chilling on my couch.

Yeah I've been a fanboy since the 90s indeed.
    We'd get remix albums in between albums and while I agree the waiting period was a pain, I also remember people losing their mind when KROQ premiered WITT. It was mass hysteria on the #NIN channel on Undernet.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    First of all, let's get one thing straight. I do not have an attitude. Just sharing my thoughts, chilling on my couch.

Yeah I've been a fanboy since the 90s indeed.
    We'd get remix albums in between albums and while I agree the waiting period was a pain, I also remember people losing their mind when KROQ premiered WITT. It was mass hysteria on the #NIN channel on Undernet.
    Calm down, I was trying to be funny. Not much chill for someone chilling on their couch (again, I'm kidding). As for the old-school build-up to The Fragile, With Teeth, and even Year Zero, you're right, it was GREAT. I'm not disagreeing with you there at all. But this isn't too much different, really. We're still getting lead singles (Burning Bright, Less Than, This Isn't the Place) and videos (She's Gone Away, Less Than), in fact with this model, by the time the third EP is out, we'll likely have gotten more singles and videos than we normally would from an album. I don't know anything about the #NIN channel on Undernet (what's that?), but there's been plenty of hysteria here on ETS. It's just spread out over a larger chunk of time. Anyway, I'm just glad we're getting new music sooner and more frequently and — most importantly — that the music is some of the best they've produced in the past decade.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Calm down, I was trying to be funny. Not much chill for someone chilling on their couch (again, I'm kidding). As for the old-school build-up to The Fragile, With Teeth, and even Year Zero, you're right, it was GREAT. I'm not disagreeing with you there at all. But this isn't too much different, really. We're still getting lead singles (Burning Bright, Less Than, This Isn't the Place) and videos (She's Gone Away, Less Than), in fact with this model, by the time the third EP is out, we'll likely have gotten more singles and videos than we normally would from an album. I don't know anything about the #NIN channel on Undernet (what's that?), but there's been plenty of hysteria here on ETS. It's just spread out over a larger chunk of time. Anyway, I'm just glad we're getting new music sooner and more frequently and — most importantly — that the music is some of the best they've produced in the past decade.
    I agree that the EPs have some outstanding music and I'm greatful for that. I'm just trying to figure out why I haven't connected with them as much I have connected with previous albums.

Oh life is full of mysteries I guess.

Btw no hard feelings here. Joking tone on the internet can be tough to interpret through a singular post and especially when it's from a user I'm not familiar with. We're all good.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm just trying to figure out why I haven't connected with them as much I have connected with previous albums.
    Probably because you're older now. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's the unfortunate truth for all of us. Nostalgia has its way with us, even if we say it doesn't. You long for a time when things were done differently, and it's probably a time we're never going to get back to. I don't see that as such a bad thing though. I'd rather see an evolution (however big or small it may be) than remain stuck in the same thing, unwilling to change.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, wait a minute. I think one can empirically say that there has been much peripheral/ancillary quantity/content and buzz to go with these releases. See here:

- Festival tour dates
    - Live footage from festivals
    - She's Gone Away on TWIN PEAKS
    - The Lovers rehearsal video
    - Burning Bright promo video
    - This Isn't The Place music video
    - NTAE physical component variations, album art variations, and fan theories
    - AV physical component variations and fan theories
    - NTAE vinyl TDS-in-reverse bonus

To be sure, this is certainly a wise model for the 'modern' age, plus he already made a big 'statement' opus record as recently as 2013 with HM. There were remixes, unreleased demo tracks and commentary, and album art variations and fun stuff for that as well (guess there weren't any music videos, though, but those Vevo live recordings are amazing, IMO). I just think you don't like the new stuff all that much, which is fine. Maybe you really do prefer an older form of releasing and promoting music. The list above IMO really strikes the balance between smaller, web-ready 'content' and physical, 'offline' pleasures.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love the 2 EPs, NTAE more than AV, but the general feeling I get after listening to both of them, even back to back is that they leave me feeling very hungry. Like being starving and just having a regular cheeseburger instead of the super duper 2 pounder. However, if one were to eat 3 of those regular burgers they might come to a feeling of satisfaction instead of the tease of a single one, or even two.

I think this is just an unavoidable consequence of them being EPs, and so I understand why people would be impatiently waiting for more, even though in NIN terms, this is the most active things have been in a decade or so. Human nature dictates that much will most of the time want more.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trent on BBC Radio tomorrow. I hope to god this has something to do with EP3 announcement.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Trent on BBC Radio tomorrow. I hope to god this has something to do with EP3 announcement.
    As someone on Reddit said, "Add Violence and Not the Actual Events were announced on Thursdays..."
    I'm not expecting new music to be debuted or anything, but I'd be thrilled by an official announcement. Fingers crossed!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    If it's with Zane Lowe then we're sure to get something...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Link to info on this?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    According to the reddit source...

Listening to Tom Ravenscroft (John Peel's son) standing in on Steve Lamacq's 6 Music show this week - he has just said that on the show tomorrow he will be talking to Trent.

The show runs from 4-7pm GMT and can be found on TuneIn Radio as well as streamed from BBC website or listened on a digital radio in the UK.
    Hoping we at least get some official info if this is true. If they play any new music I'm holding off until the full release like I did with the last two.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Part of me is hoping he announces something other than the 3rd EP just to make us sweat. I'm not a masochist! You are!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Part of me is hoping he announces something other than the 3rd EP just to make us sweat. I'm not a masochist! You are!
    I'd be shocked if it isn't in some way related to EP3 considering the timing of it. March 19 makes it 8 months since the release of AV so this makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully that's what it is. Pumped.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    With everything that has gone on the last month or so as far as the ARG (wishful thinking...) the schizophreniasdiary... linking NTAE and AV to YZ... and speculation about the third EP, you'd think ETS would have been busier this evening about the BBC radio show tomorrow.

Weird.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End

I’m excited to find out what’s up, but it sucks that I’ll be in meetings like all day tomorrow. Normally an occasion like this would warrant closing my office door and pretending I’m on a conference call.

I’ll have to take a strategically-timed poop break or something

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Shouldn't that announcement go in nin spotting thread? I don't go in this thread that much to be honest. Perhaps this is a UK tour announcement since it's timed for just after the Meltdown sale?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 03-15-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Shouldn't that announcement go in nin spotting thread? I don't go in this thread that much to be honest. Perhaps this is a UK tour announcement since it's timed for just after the Meltdown sale?
    Kind of stupid for him to go on radio to make an announcement for a show that's already sold out.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    More likely - as I think was being suggested - announcing extra UK date or two, with the announcement coinciding with the Meltdown tickets selling out later today.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Kind of stupid for him to go on radio to make an announcement for a show that's already sold out.
    I meant more UK dates, hoping for Brixton academy Saturday night so I can just stay in London

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would they actually have him on the show just to announce some shows? I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, just seems like it would be more than that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataxia View Post
    Would they actually have him on the show just to announce some shows? I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, just seems like it would be more than that.
    I'm hoping for both to be honest, but if he was announcing the EP alone i don't see why he' d do it on a UK show

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Last two eps werent annouced, just appeared but wishful thinking is Trents going on UK radio to annouce the final of the trilogy lol?

Unless he just drops in at end of interview my new ep is now available at nin.com i dont see anything in this interview except a contract obligation in relation to the UK shows

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    If this is anything i'll bet it's to announce another show (Meltdown sold out so we're doing a special Brixton/O2 show as well)

I doubt it'll be anything to do with the new EP. I can hope but i'm pessimistic by nature