Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    But I want the next release EP or LP to be a continuation of this "story" and not something else all together. Let's finish this shit, because it barely makes any fucking sense and I've loved both EP's, AV most of all.
    This. One of the most unforgivable crimes in music is called 1. Outside.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessLoveless View Post
    Let's finish this shit, because it barely makes any fucking sense and I've loved both EP's, AV most of all. Best nin release in a long time.
    Sorry for the double post, but at least NTAE makes sense.

Branches/Bones - the protagonist from Year Zero going into another simulation, the difference this time is that him recognizing this is a simulation.
    Dear World, - pretty much of the same as the previous track, everyone seems to be asleep - because they are not real in the first place. Not even sure himself is not asleep.
    She's Gone Away - written for Twin Peaks (confirmed by TR), but it reminds me of Reptile (of course) and parts of Survivalism.
    The Idea Of You - Protagonist struggling to find his own identity. Intensive self-realization.
    Burning Bright - Burning himself up, finding his way out of the experiment.

Not sure on what most songs mean on AV but:
    Less Than - as the protagonist got out of the simulation, he's now sitting in front of the simulator. Finds out world's gonna end in 2022. So did him getting out of there fix what was wrong with him? Or are you less than?
    The Lovers - not sure.
    This Isn't The Place - maybe the protagonist lost his friend during/because of the simulation. Could be about Bowie.
    Not Anymore - The protagonist is now operating the simulator. Maybe he's safe for now. But is he? Could this be another simulation?
    The Background World - This world is fucked up. He's giving up. (Not sure)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but at least NTAE makes sense.

Branches/Bones - the protagonist from Year Zero going into another simulation, the difference this time is that him recognizing this is a simulation.
    Dear World, - pretty much of the same as the previous track, everyone seems to be asleep - because they are not real in the first place. Not even sure himself is not asleep.
    She's Gone Away - written for Twin Peaks (confirmed by TR), but it reminds me of Reptile (of course) and parts of Survivalism.
    The Idea Of You - Protagonist struggling to find his own identity. Intensive self-realization.
    Burning Bright - Burning himself up, finding his way out of the experiment.

Not sure on what most songs mean on AV but:
    Less Than - as the protagonist got out of the simulation, he's now sitting in front of the simulator. Finds out world's gonna end in 2022. So did him getting out of there fix what was wrong with him? Or are you less than?
    The Lovers - not sure.
    This Isn't The Place - maybe the protagonist lost his friend during/because of the simulation. Could be about Bowie.
    Not Anymore - The protagonist is now operating the simulator. Maybe he's safe for now. But is he? Could this be another simulation?
    The Background World - This world is fucked up. He's giving up. (Not sure)
    I like and agree with most of that. But we can't know for sure until the conclusion. Many unanswered questions though, mostly from NTAE for me....re using the still artwork, final 3 tracks of TDS backwards on LP. These callbacks were done for reasons that aren't 100% understood. Wasn't @kraw supposed to provide some answers after physical album was out?

AV makes more sense to me, with the whole idea of the simulation. If the two werent said to be linked by the man himself, I'd never have guessed. The only common thread that is obvious to me is the layout and flow of each ep. Meaning for both EP's track 1 is the familiar nin sound/single, track 2 is electronic and anxiety fueled, track 3 is the slow burner, track 4 is the angsty rocker, and track 5 is the weird one. Not sure if this was intentional or not, I think yes and will be interested to see if part 3 follows suit. Track 5 on both is some of the best nin ever so I really look forward to that.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Honestly, it's never been a big deal to me to have the EPs fit together perfectly as one solid narrative. I like that they share themes, but can also exist on their own.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I really wonder how the three reversed songs on the b side of NTAE vinyl fit into everything. There really is something interesting here... deeper than just relative themes. The fact that they are reversed and the sound that they produce. Reptile reversed is pleasing to the ear and Hurt reversed, you still hear the original sound which to me still conveys the original meaning. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I truly wonder if the last EP is a lead-in to a new LP. This could be why Trent and co. are taking their time. It's a possibility considering Trent's comments in the last Lowe interviews where he mentions the last EP connecting up and having different versions of the songs, etc. That easily could have evolved into an LP. Who knows. Interesting to think that could be a possibility...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I seriously hate to be "that guy", but isn't it more likely that the EPs don't really have a narrative? There's themes of course, but I seriously doubt that they have a linear story attached.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    I seriously hate to be "that guy", but isn't it more likely that the EPs don't really have a narrative? There's themes of course, but I seriously doubt that they have a linear story attached.
    You're most definitely right about that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    I truly wonder if the last EP is a lead-in to a new LP. This could be why Trent and co. are taking their time. It's a possibility considering Trent's comments in the last Lowe interviews where he mentions the last EP connecting up and having different versions of the songs, etc. That easily could have evolved into an LP. Who knows. Interesting to think that could be a possibility...
    It's possible. It's been ages since he last talked about it. However, he did hint at the time that he was maybe thinking of turning "all three EPs" into a full LP with different versions of the songs.

I hope that's the case here, otherwise all we have to look forward to are remixes. Not that this is a bad thing, just that I'd rather the concept be fully realised before we get a potential LP.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    First of all, we are still technically within the 6-8 month time-frame that he gave in that email back in early June for another 8 days, so it hasn't YET taken longer than what he said. Though it clearly will take a bit longer than he said, but as has been pointed out many times already, I'd rather it take a little longer and be great than have it be rushed and suffer. Anyway, maybe it's taking longer because he's also been figuring out how the three parts can fit together into a cohesive album? Or maybe there's another element that's adding to the gestation period, like a mini ARG or something? Maybe he wants to have the production of the vinyl completed before sales go live so that people don't have to wait any additional months for their product to arrive?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just got back into NIN after 15 years. I was blown away by the first 2 EPs in the trilogy. I have mixed feelings about The Background World though. The looping ending is amazing... the first half is not so good. Sorry Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    Just got back into NIN after 15 years. I was blown away by the first 2 EPs in the trilogy. I have mixed feelings about The Background World though. The looping ending is amazing... the first half is not so good. Sorry Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross.
    Funny, my initial reaction to The Background World was the opposite of yours (loved the first half, not the 2nd). Regardless, your opinion may change as it grows on you. I wasn't quite sure what to make of Not the Actual Events at first, but it's become one of my favorite NIN releases in their entire catalog. Either way, welcome back to NIN fandom!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Welcome back! I also felt that TBW's beginning was a little boring the first time I heard it. It's grown on me massively, and personally, it's now my favourite thing on Add Violence. Give it time.

Also, definitely listen to Year Zero, which is the precursor to these EPs.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It would be real classic NIN if there just wasn't a third part and he went on to other things. That's the Trent I know and love.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It would be real classic NIN if there just wasn't a third part and he went on to other things. That's the Trent I know and love.
    When did that ever happen?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You mean the one who had an addiction problem and almost killed himself? Yeah, no thanks. I prefer the together, get shit done Trent of today.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    You mean the one who had an addiction problem and almost killed himself? Yeah, no thanks. I prefer the together, get shit done Trent of today.
    How is "Together, get shit done Trent" doing with that Wave Goodbye Tour Bluray? I'm as happy as everyone else he is alive and happy today, but I'm not going to contribute his occasional scatterbrain and moving onto other things to the drugs. He just does it sometimes. It's part of the agony of being a NIN fan.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The classic agony. Classic Trent Reznor.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I doubt Trent & Atticus are going to just abandon something that has brought them a good deal of attention. I can't see them treating a trilogy that's two-thirds completed the same way live projects have been treated.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I doubt Trent & Atticus are going to just abandon something that has brought them a good deal of attention. I can't see them treating a trilogy that's two-thirds completed the same way live projects have been treated.
    Agreed. Now, if May rolls around and there's still no word on part three...it'll be time to revisit this idea.

As for the next releases, I'm thinking halo 32 is part 3 and maybe halo 33 is a remix/variant album of the three EPs? I could handle that.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I remember Trent saying at the Chicago Q&A that whether or not he and Atticus accepted some scoring gig offers would determine the release window for it, so it’s entirely possible they decided to work on something and that’s taken up some time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow. It's been 7 months since AV release.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The looping ending is amazing... the first half is not so good. Sorry Mr. Reznor and Mr. Ross.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    This. One of the most unforgivable crimes in music is called 1. Outside.
    So help me god, you do mean to say that it was unforgivable that there was no 2. Outside, right? I am interpreting that correctly? Tell me I am. Please.

Because if not, and you're impugning Outside, I swear, I will crawl through the sky tubes to wherever you are (as is my understanding of how the internet works), and we can continue this conversation in person.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    So help me god, you do mean to say that it was unforgivable that there was no 2. Outside, right? I am interpreting that correctly? Tell me I am. Please.

Because if not, and you're impugning Outside, I swear, I will crawl through the sky tubes to wherever you are (as is my understanding of how the internet works), and we can continue this conversation in person.
    Yes, coincidentally 1. Outside was also planned as a concept album trilogy, right?
    There was supposed to be 2. Contamination but then came Earthling... not that I have anything against that album.
    So no need to scratch across the sky tubes to wherever I am.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    First of all, we are still technically within the 6-8 month time-frame that he gave in that email back in early June for another 8 days, so it hasn't YET taken longer than what he said.
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure why people have been—relatively speaking—losing it about EP #3 being late when, A) it's not yet late and, B) when/if it doesn't arrive in the next week, it's still not like we're looking at "follow up to The Downward Spiral-" or Bleedthrough/With Teeth- or Tension 2013 DVD-level delays or anything. Or Tool-level delays. Or...you know, I'm hard-pressed to think of a band that hasn't had an LP or EP take months or years longer than originally promised. Often with no explanation beforehand/minimal explanation afterwards. Here, I shall make perfunctory mention of Tapeworm. Though I haven't posted much in the past year, I do still lurk a bit most days, and this—again, relative to "outrages" expressed in the past—mild furor has kinda been driving me a little bonkers.

Is it just people who haven't been in the Nine Inch Nails fanbase so long that they are unfamiliar with how, er, gooey the concept of time/deadlines can be in the Reznorverse? Or some other subset I'm not thinking of? Otherwise, it sorta reminds me of people from my hometown in upstate New York, where it can go from 80 degrees to 10 overnight (not hyperbolic), sometimes there are multiple feet of snow that'll fall in a twenty-four hour period in the last week of April, and even sometimes early November can prompt a brief reinstallation of window air conditioners: Something like this happens literally every year, yet people who have lived there for decades will still volubly complain about it on a daily basis, as if somehow entirely unfamiliar with the phenomenon, and a certain amount of Officially Declared Grievances will suddenly rectify it, evening out the weather to a consistent 68 and partly cloudy.

I feel like I'll be sad if we don't see EP #3 by summer but, hey, I'm always a little sad when I wake up and there's not new Nine Inch Nails to be listened to—especially when I had good reason to expect there would be. But I'd only start asking "So, we gonna hear an update or something on the end of this alleged 'Trilogy'?" around the end of December 2018. I think I'd only start to get straight-up aggravated if there were no voluntary word at all about anything, plus a refusal to answer questions about the issue, and no record by this time next year.

Or if we'd all already pre-ordered the thing and were sitting here with lighter wallets and no product. That'd be shitty, too, I guess.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Yes, coincidentally 1. Outside was also planned as a concept album trilogy, right?
    There was supposed to be 2. Contamination but then came Earthling... not that I have anything against that album.
    So no need to scratch across the sky tubes to wherever I am.
    Phew. I wasn't looking forward to a long-distance crawl. But what is this 2. Contamination that you speak of? I haven't read that title before, to the best of my knowledge and recollection. And I tried my best—at that time and, to a lesser extent—in the past few years to understand what became of that era's endeavors.

Actually, as I'm probably already technically derailing this thread by even pursuing this, if feel so inclined as to PM me a link to the relevant info (if you've got one handy and a few seconds to do it) or throw a reply in the Bowie thread in the Music area, we can conclude the chat without annoying those folks who just came here for info on the Trilogy's End.
    Last edited by Sesquipedalism; 02-12-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Missing words.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Phew. I wasn't looking forward to a long-distance crawl. But what is this 2. Contamination that you speak of? I haven't read that title before, to the best of my knowledge and recollection. And I tried my best—at that time and, to a lesser extent—in the past few years to understand what became of that era's endeavors.

Actually, as I'm probably already technically derailing this thread by even pursuing this, if feel so inclined as to PM me a link to the relevant info (if you've got one handy and a few seconds to do it) or throw a reply in the Bowie thread in the Music area, we can conclude the chat without annoying those folks who just came here for info on the Trilogy's End.
    We're way off topic by now, but here goes: https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/survive/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    We're way off topic by now, but here goes: https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/survive/
    I'm holding out hope that the 90's box set that will eventually come out will have a lot of shit from this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who sees the "Trilogy" designation as arbitrary? Right now what we have is basically tangentially related. I like these EPs just fine but they definitely could have been released any time over the last 13 years.... If the next thing that happened was some left turn LP or something I'd be pretty stoked