Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End (speculation)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to talk about the third EP (which could be here in 8-12 weeks).

I expect the last EP to be released on CD with NTAE and AV included. Anyone agree? I can't wait!
    I'm also excited to see what was meant by "it'll all make sense later" in reference to the lack of original artwork with NTAE.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It'll be interesting to see what era (if any) Trent and Atticus reference with the last EP. The callbacks on both EPs seem to have a forward progression (The Downward Spiral and The Fragile on Not The Actual Events, and With Teeth and Year Zero on Add Violence), so will they make references to the last few albums, or will they circle back to the beginning?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End

NTAE had a reference to WT too, due to Dave Grohl's presence. I don't see it as being totally linear. The whole trilogy sonically feels both like an alternate history if NIN had gone down a less friendly path immediately after TF, as well as a progression. (Both parts of TBW and the mad, burnt out sludge of Burning Bright are next level and suggest a masterful third era of NIN.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Give me more Not The Actual Events type stuff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what era (if any) Trent and Atticus reference with the last EP. The callbacks on both EPs seem to have a forward progression (The Downward Spiral and The Fragile on Not The Actual Events, and With Teeth and Year Zero on Add Violence), so will they make references to the last few albums, or will they circle back to the beginning?
    I'm looking forward to a newretro PHM-inspired rebirth into a world that the protagonist isn't from and doesn't understand. Give me those hammer synths.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe we'll get something that feels entirely new for NIN!

Also, "8-12 weeks" makes it sound like it's not going to feel like forever til this thing comes out

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Would love to see all these released on CD, but don't want to pay for something already purchased.

Hopeful, but really doubt it'll happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As far as construction, NTAE and AV are very similar. Both have 5 tracks. Track 1 is simple and easy to like. Tracks 2 and 3 are slower and set the feel of the EP. Track 4 is an aggressive interruption. Track 5 is dense. I wonder if the next EP will follow suit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I think NTAE is more like Broken/TDS/TF/WT NIN while AV sounds more like YZ/HM/HTDA NIN. Give me more angst, grit, and edge like NTAE. I prefer dangerous and ugly NIN over clean and glitchy NIN.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I think NTAE is more like Broken/TDS/TF/WT NIN while AV sounds more like YZ/HM/HTDA NIN. Give me more angst, grit, and edge like NTAE. I prefer dangerous and ugly NIN over clean and glitchy NIN.
    I can't call Year Zero or Add Violence clean. But I see your point. I also think The Slip fits into dangerous and ugly NIN. Imho.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I hope it's made entirely out of tambourine samples.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    More NIN. That's all I'm asking. Forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The feeling I get is that the songs are being released out of order and after the third EP comes out, there will be an official map/tracklist to help everything make sense. I just can’t image a song following The Background World as it is the quintessential album closer.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I hope it's made entirely out of tambourine samples.
    Random "HEY! HEY! HEY!" and "C'MON!" samples included in multitracks so the community can really spice the content up

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    As much as I'd like a CD, two points to consider:

For me, the first two EPs together already don't really "flow" as an album to me, so a full disc seems like something I actually wouldn't be too excited about.

Also, I've already spent over $20 on physical components and will presumably spend another $12 or whatever it was for the third one. So if I'm close to $40 for three PCs, I'm not jumping to spend any more money on a CD of music I've already purchased. I know other people here will pay almost anything for whatever Trent decides to release on a physical medium, and that doesn't bother me. I would've preferred CDs from the start, but at this point in the game, I'm not re-buying anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Would love to see all these released on CD, but don't want to pay for something already purchased.

Hopeful, but really doubt it'll happen.
    You could be right, we'll never see a complete release on CD. However, the reason I believe we will is because of the lack of original artwork on NTAE and the statement about the current artwork being a placeholder. If NTAE was always meant to be a stand alone piece, why the need for temporary artwork? Now, I recognize it appears as though AV throws a monkey wrench into my theory, but what if its artwork is just a piece of the whole? I'm hopeful.

You may have purchased the music already, but not on that format. You also have not yet purchased the third EP. If given the option to buy a stand alone third EP or the entire trilogy as a package for just a few dollars more, what would you choose?
    Last edited by Jordan; 10-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    The feeling I get is that the songs are being released out of order and after the third EP comes out, there will be an official map/tracklist to help everything make sense. I just can’t image a song following The Background World as it is the quintessential album closer.
    I really doubt the tracks have been intentionally released out of order when the subsequent EPs haven't been written at the time of release. I'm not saying the tracklisting won't be altered into one coherent album when the time comes, I just don't think that's something that has been planned ahead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can't imagine a release with the three EP's shuffled together. But I can see a complete package with three disks. Some of you bring up valid points to the contrary, but I still believe it would sell.
    Then again, maybe what Trent has been saying all along is true, the CD format is no longer worth the expense. Vinyl and digital from now on.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I love both of the new EPs and I always love it when NIN takes off into previously uncharted territory, so I'm pretty confident that it'll be fucking great no matter where we feel it fits into their back catalog. They've got some great momentum going right now. Maybe they should stick to the EP format for a while. Although I do want a new full-length in the vein of this latest batch of music because full-length albums seem to be taken more seriously in the world of music and I feel like the stuff they've been producing in the past year really deserves more attention because it's awesome. Then again, they don't give a fuck about that, so who knows what'll happen.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i hope the vinyl version of the third EP comes with a slipcase to hold the other two records along with the third.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End

I think there's some misunderstanding (unless I missed info from an interview.) It's a trilogy of EPs, possibly linked together thematically. That doesn't mean it's an album. Why would there be an album release of all of the songs shuffled together?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I think there's some misunderstanding (unless I missed info from an interview.) It's a trilogy of EPs, possibly linked together thematically. That doesn't mean it's an album. Why would there be an album release of all of the songs shuffled together?
    Trent has said himself in an interview or two since the release of Add Violence that they broke the new album up into three parts because working that way was interesting and allowed them to get the music out faster. He also stated that after the third EP has come out, they will likely release all three combined, possibly with tweaked versions of the songs, in a different order, etc. Maybe someone here can find the exact quote...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    If they ramp up that ARG machine to maximum violence and unleash hell on earth for no.3 I’d welcome it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    If they ramp up that ARG machine to maximum violence and unleash hell on earth for no.3 I’d welcome it.
    ayy.

also, i think TBW isn't the album closer. it ends up with a question mark. think it's gonna be something like in this twilight/zero sum for the closer, only TBW/something else

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I don't know that they were really suggesting a reason for it - just a desire since time / track number wise, it would probably work out to be a ~15 song, < 80 minute collection of songs that could fit onto a CD.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have to question whether or not we'll actually get a 3rd EP. as many projects in the past have never been finished. such as the ghosts film project or the year zero tv project. seems to me that its kinda par for the course with NIN.

but I hope I'm wrong, as I really dig this project overall.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't see why they wouldn't complete a third EP. There's enough momentum right now for them to do so. Plus, Trent and Atticus have already set up the idea of this being a trilogy, so to not complete it would seem lazy on their part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I have to question whether or not we'll actually get a 3rd EP. as many projects in the past have never been finished. such as the ghosts film project or the year zero tv project. seems to me that its kinda par for the course with NIN.

but I hope I'm wrong, as I really dig this project overall.
    There's a lot more that goes into a film or TV project. To bust out a 5 song EP is relatively easy. I can't see them bailing on this project.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I agree somewhat, but I see it like this: NTAE is like Broken/With Teeth/HM, AV is like The Fragile/With Teeth.

The name of the 3rd EP is Bleedthrough.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 10-11-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    I doubt it will be the case, but I would love it to be the case that the third EP completes an abstract picture for us, and we're then presented with a definitive order for a 15-track album that's comprised of all the EP songs. Were that the case, I'd be shocked if "Branches/Bones" weren't the ultimate opener and "The Background World" the absolute closer. But again, I doubt it'll happen that way.