Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm holding out hope that the 90's box set that will eventually come out will have a lot of shit from this.
    Sorry, I won't pull this off the rails anymore than this, but if you are a fan of 1. Outside and haven't heard the ~hour of source material that has leaked over the years:

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I wouldn't put it past TR and AR if we got to April/May and they just went "fuck it, the EP turned into an album, here you go fuckers"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    "here you go fuckers"
    That does sound like the sort of things that might happen. It'll be that or just nothing happens at all and nobody will formally confirm the third EP is cancelled and people will still be moaning about it in five years time.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I wouldn't put it past TR and AR if we got to April/May and they just went "fuck it, the EP turned into an album, here you go fuckers"
    I wouldn't complain if that were the case, but I doubt it. Most likely scenario is the simplest one: it's just taking a little longer than he expected it to. We can be patient. It hasn't been that long and we've DEFINITELY had to wait longer in the past.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Most likely scenario is the simplest one: it's just taking a little longer than he expected it to.
    I agree... but it is hard not to jump to conclusions based on history. As always, these concerns would be resolved with simple updates from the nin camp and maybe some definitive statements (ex. The Fragile DE has been shelved, too busy next ep is delayed, etc.)
    I don't think that hurts the "mystery" surrounding the artist especially if it is just done under the nin brand and not any individual.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I agree... but it is hard not to jump to conclusions based on history. As always, these concerns would be resolved with simple updates from the nin camp and maybe some definitive statements (ex. The Fragile DE has been shelved, too busy next ep is delayed, etc.)
    I don't think that hurts the "mystery" surrounding the artist especially if it is just done under the nin brand and not any individual.
    I miss the days of TR answering fans' questions on the "Access" page. Things like this could be cleared up directly through that avenue. Access (or something like it) should make a comeback on nin.com sometime in the future.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I miss the days of him communicating at all. It used to be so fun to see new posts from him. I guess he’s bored of social media these days.

The third ep is not cancelled. No way. I refused to accept this as an outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I miss the days of him communicating at all. It used to be so fun to see new posts from him. I guess he’s bored of social media these days.

The third ep is not cancelled. No way. I refused to accept this as an outcome.
    This is the point, right? Nothing ever gets officially "cancelled." As fans we are just left wondering for years when we might get something that was announced, or understand some mysterious image or comment and then they never mentioned again. I'm not talking about the ep... we can't add that to the list until maybe April.

In all seriousness though, I think the ep is still coming according to plan... the whole concept and artwork making sense and leading into something bigger; I think we can add that to the abyss.

NOTE: I am not complaining about what has been released or the quantity / quality of work lately, just the lack of fan interaction and information sharing.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I guess he’s bored of social media these days.
    I don't really think he got bored of it. When the information super highway first started it was exciting to finally be able to speak to fans and artists alike. It's changed dramatically since then, to the point social media is mostly a cluster fuck of idiots screaming at each other. I'm sure he'd love to chat to fans like he used to, he just doesn't want to deal with the twats that come flooding with it these days (not that any of you fine people are twats)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Let's not forget that he also has a family to take care of PLUS reviewing/approving/brainstorming possible score work PLUS tour planning, so, it's not like he's got a lot of extra time on his hands.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I guess he’s bored of social media these days.
    Based on past comments he's made, I think he's realized how toxic social media can be, especially in regards to fan/artist interactions. He may want to have a nice discussion, but then that gets derailed by comments like "Hey, wen r u gonna play Perfec Drug live?" and "New music sux! Make 'nother albumm lik TDS!". It's a lot easier to just cut off or severely limit that connection than to engage with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Based on past comments he's made, I think he's realized how toxic social media can be, especially in regards to fan/artist interactions. He may want to have a nice discussion, but then that gets derailed by comments like "Hey, wen r u gonna play Perfec Drug live?" and "New music sux! Make 'nother albumm lik TDS!". It's a lot easier to just cut off or severely limit that connection than to engage with it.
    By this logic shouldn't he also just stop touring and playing shows because some people in attendance talk on their phones, yell, throw things on stage, etc. Dealing with difficult people and situations is a part of any career / life.

I don't really need information coming directly from one person. If he isn't into that sort of thing then just have someone else do it who is able to answer those types of questions.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Based on what happened:

Not the Actual Events was announced on the premises that some NIN material would still make it until the end of 2016. It did happen.
    Add Violence
    was announced prior to/or along with a set of scheduled gigs. It did happen.

If you watch closely, the NIN official site is putting up new gig dates for this year, starting in the month of June.
    It takes less of a monkey's brain to realize that this third EP will eventually see the light of day in-between April/May.
    I mean, based on what happened so far in 2017.

We're basically 90 days from this EP. Write now what I'm telling you.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    By this logic shouldn't he also just stop touring and playing shows because some people in attendance talk on their phones, yell, throw things on stage, etc. Dealing with difficult people and situations is a part of any career / life.
    Touring brings in money and fulfills a creative need. Answering questions on social media doesn't.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Based on what happened:

Not the Actual Events was announced on the premises that some NIN material would still make it until the end of 2016. It did happen.
    Add Violence
    was announced prior to/or along with a set of scheduled gigs. It did happen.

If you watch closely, the NIN official site is putting up new gig dates for this year, starting in the month of June.
    It takes less of a monkey's brain to realize that this third EP will eventually see the light of day in-between April/May.
    I mean, based on what happened so far in 2017.

We're basically 90 days from this EP. Write now what I'm telling you.
    Yes, it seems to make more sense to release new music right before the start of a tour, rather then well beforehand. I think this logic plays in with how people digest music nowadays too. Some people find music, in general, easily disposable and forgettable. By having the music fresh in the people’s mind, it might make the show more impactful and nin can possibly more easily sell tickets.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That's exactly why the "Access" method was perfect. He could pick which questions were worth answering and ignore the asinine ones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Guys, we still have a month and a half. Until April 1st I'm not complaining one bit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End

Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Guys, we still have a month and a half. Until April 1st I'm not complaining one bit
    Strobe light (version)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Strobe light (version)?
    Oh damn I didn't even notice April Fools. Thanks for that little chuckle

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The mention of Strobe Light does bring up a good question: will there be any special guests on the new EP, or will it just be a Trent & Atticus affair?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I agree we'll probably see the third EP before the summer tour begins, and the first two are some of my favorite NIN in a long time, so I'm happy to wait. That said, it still feels like a massive let down that in December 2016 Trent said we would see two major Nine Inch Nails works in 2017, and we got literally five songs. Yes, I get it was his way of aiming high and holding himself accountable, and we're used to NIN projects not coming to fruition on time or ever, and he's busy with other projects, but still, a quote about "two major works" in 2017 resulting in just five songs all year is pretty frustrating.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The mention of Strobe Light does bring up a good question: will there be any special guests on the new EP, or will it just be a Trent & Atticus affair?
    More Dave Grohl drumming, please! An appearance from Josh Homme or Mike Garson would be nice.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I agree we'll probably see the third EP before the summer tour begins, and the first two are some of my favorite NIN in a long time, so I'm happy to wait. That said, it still feels like a massive let down that in December 2016 Trent said we would see two major Nine Inch Nails works in 2017, and we got literally five songs. Yes, I get it was his way of aiming high and holding himself accountable, and we're used to NIN projects not coming to fruition on time or ever, and he's busy with other projects, but still, a quote about "two major works" in 2017 resulting in just five songs all year is pretty frustrating.
    Look at it this way, we've gotten a major NIN release three years in a row! We're on a roll!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-13-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Look at this way, we've gotten a major NIN release three years in a row! We're on a roll!
    ASSUMING the third EP comes out this year.

Also, if a five song EP is a "major" release, what's a minor release?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    ASSUMING the third EP comes out this year.

Also, if a five song EP is a "major" release, what's a minor release?
    A single. Or a song on a movie soundtrack. Does that count?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    more dave grohl drumming, please! An appearance from josh homme or mike garson would be nice.
    garson! Yes! Tasty! Yes!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    5 NIN songs in 2016 along with Before the Flood soundtrack AND unreleased Fragile tracks
    5 NIN songs in 2017 along with Patriots Day & Vietnam soundtracks (and the Vietnam soundtrack is amazing)
    5? NIN songs in 2018 along with a tour and who knows what else?

So he missed getting the 3rd EP out by a few months...considering the quality of the output over the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied so far!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think Trent will make up for it.
    7 songs is still an EP (assuming you're under the 30 minute mark.)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    He shouldn't be concerned with the conventional thought behind what length technically constitutes an EP. It should just be the length that feels right. Who cares if the (no longer relevant) industry standard dictates that EPs are traditionally under 25 minutes – by that logic, Add Violence isn't an EP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    More Dave Grohl drumming, please!
    Every time I listen to The Idea of You I picture Trent calling him up & being like "Hey Dave, you wanna come down to the studio & Dave Grohl the shit out of some drums?"