Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy's End (speculation)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I guess he’s bored of social media these days.
    Based on past comments he's made, I think he's realized how toxic social media can be, especially in regards to fan/artist interactions. He may want to have a nice discussion, but then that gets derailed by comments like "Hey, wen r u gonna play Perfec Drug live?" and "New music sux! Make 'nother albumm lik TDS!". It's a lot easier to just cut off or severely limit that connection than to engage with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Based on past comments he's made, I think he's realized how toxic social media can be, especially in regards to fan/artist interactions. He may want to have a nice discussion, but then that gets derailed by comments like "Hey, wen r u gonna play Perfec Drug live?" and "New music sux! Make 'nother albumm lik TDS!". It's a lot easier to just cut off or severely limit that connection than to engage with it.
    By this logic shouldn't he also just stop touring and playing shows because some people in attendance talk on their phones, yell, throw things on stage, etc. Dealing with difficult people and situations is a part of any career / life.

I don't really need information coming directly from one person. If he isn't into that sort of thing then just have someone else do it who is able to answer those types of questions.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    By this logic shouldn't he also just stop touring and playing shows because some people in attendance talk on their phones, yell, throw things on stage, etc. Dealing with difficult people and situations is a part of any career / life.
    Touring brings in money and fulfills a creative need. Answering questions on social media doesn't.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    That's exactly why the "Access" method was perfect. He could pick which questions were worth answering and ignore the asinine ones.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Let's not forget that he also has a family to take care of PLUS reviewing/approving/brainstorming possible score work PLUS tour planning, so, it's not like he's got a lot of extra time on his hands.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Based on what happened:

Not the Actual Events was announced on the premises that some NIN material would still make it until the end of 2016. It did happen.
    Add Violence
    was announced prior to/or along with a set of scheduled gigs. It did happen.

If you watch closely, the NIN official site is putting up new gig dates for this year, starting in the month of June.
    It takes less of a monkey's brain to realize that this third EP will eventually see the light of day in-between April/May.
    I mean, based on what happened so far in 2017.

We're basically 90 days from this EP. Write now what I'm telling you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum550 View Post
    Based on what happened:

Not the Actual Events was announced on the premises that some NIN material would still make it until the end of 2016. It did happen.
    Add Violence
    was announced prior to/or along with a set of scheduled gigs. It did happen.

If you watch closely, the NIN official site is putting up new gig dates for this year, starting in the month of June.
    It takes less of a monkey's brain to realize that this third EP will eventually see the light of day in-between April/May.
    I mean, based on what happened so far in 2017.

We're basically 90 days from this EP. Write now what I'm telling you.
    Yes, it seems to make more sense to release new music right before the start of a tour, rather then well beforehand. I think this logic plays in with how people digest music nowadays too. Some people find music, in general, easily disposable and forgettable. By having the music fresh in the people’s mind, it might make the show more impactful and nin can possibly more easily sell tickets.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Guys, we still have a month and a half. Until April 1st I'm not complaining one bit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The Trilogy's End

Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Guys, we still have a month and a half. Until April 1st I'm not complaining one bit
    Strobe light (version)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Strobe light (version)?
    Oh damn I didn't even notice April Fools. Thanks for that little chuckle

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The mention of Strobe Light does bring up a good question: will there be any special guests on the new EP, or will it just be a Trent & Atticus affair?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The mention of Strobe Light does bring up a good question: will there be any special guests on the new EP, or will it just be a Trent & Atticus affair?
    More Dave Grohl drumming, please! An appearance from Josh Homme or Mike Garson would be nice.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    more dave grohl drumming, please! An appearance from josh homme or mike garson would be nice.
    garson! Yes! Tasty! Yes!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    More Dave Grohl drumming, please!
    Every time I listen to The Idea of You I picture Trent calling him up & being like "Hey Dave, you wanna come down to the studio & Dave Grohl the shit out of some drums?"

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I agree we'll probably see the third EP before the summer tour begins, and the first two are some of my favorite NIN in a long time, so I'm happy to wait. That said, it still feels like a massive let down that in December 2016 Trent said we would see two major Nine Inch Nails works in 2017, and we got literally five songs. Yes, I get it was his way of aiming high and holding himself accountable, and we're used to NIN projects not coming to fruition on time or ever, and he's busy with other projects, but still, a quote about "two major works" in 2017 resulting in just five songs all year is pretty frustrating.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I agree we'll probably see the third EP before the summer tour begins, and the first two are some of my favorite NIN in a long time, so I'm happy to wait. That said, it still feels like a massive let down that in December 2016 Trent said we would see two major Nine Inch Nails works in 2017, and we got literally five songs. Yes, I get it was his way of aiming high and holding himself accountable, and we're used to NIN projects not coming to fruition on time or ever, and he's busy with other projects, but still, a quote about "two major works" in 2017 resulting in just five songs all year is pretty frustrating.
    Look at it this way, we've gotten a major NIN release three years in a row! We're on a roll!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 02-13-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Look at this way, we've gotten a major NIN release three years in a row! We're on a roll!
    ASSUMING the third EP comes out this year.

Also, if a five song EP is a "major" release, what's a minor release?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    ASSUMING the third EP comes out this year.

Also, if a five song EP is a "major" release, what's a minor release?
    A single. Or a song on a movie soundtrack. Does that count?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A single. Or a song on a movie soundtrack. Does that count?
    "Dude! Have you heard U2's latest minor work?"
    "You mean their new single?"
    "Yeah. That's what I said."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    5 NIN songs in 2016 along with Before the Flood soundtrack AND unreleased Fragile tracks
    5 NIN songs in 2017 along with Patriots Day & Vietnam soundtracks (and the Vietnam soundtrack is amazing)
    5? NIN songs in 2018 along with a tour and who knows what else?

So he missed getting the 3rd EP out by a few months...considering the quality of the output over the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied so far!!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    5 NIN songs in 2016 along with Before the Flood soundtrack AND unreleased Fragile tracks
    5 NIN songs in 2017 along with Patriots Day & Vietnam soundtracks (and the Vietnam soundtrack is amazing)

So he missed getting the 3rd EP out by a few months...considering the quality of the output over the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied so far!!
    Totally! I am so happy Trent is the most prolific he's ever been lately, and I know it sounds whiny as fuck to complain about stuff like this. It's the curse of expectation, though. I described NTAE as the NIN I had been waiting for since 2002, so my expectation for "two major works" was at least one, potentially two full-length albums in the vein of NTAE, but instead we got a second EP which is aesthetically completely different (though I also love the shit out of it), and a third EP which seemed like was nothing more than some notes in a notebook as of the last time he mentioned it.

And yes, I love the soundtrack work, and I'm very glad they're always taking on new projects, but there's something about a full length Nine Inch Nails album that nothing else can replace, you know?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Totally! I am so happy Trent is the most prolific he's ever been lately, and I know it sounds whiny as fuck to complain about stuff like this. It's the curse of expectation, though. I described NTAE as the NIN I had been waiting for since 2002, so my expectation for "two major works" was at least one, potentially two full-length albums in the vein of NTAE, but instead we got a second EP which is aesthetically completely different (though I also love the shit out of it), and a third EP which seemed like was nothing more than some notes in a notebook as of the last time he mentioned it.

And yes, I love the soundtrack work, and I'm very glad they're always taking on new projects, but there's something about a full length Nine Inch Nails album that nothing else can replace, you know?
    Yeah, this EP experiment has been fun and songs like these might not have happened otherwise, but I do hope they do a full-length album next and hopefully we don't have to wait until 2022 to get it! I would LOVE more music like NTAE – it's also my favorite NIN release in a long time.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post

don't forget the Halloween cover!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think Trent will make up for it.
    7 songs is still an EP (assuming you're under the 30 minute mark.)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    He shouldn't be concerned with the conventional thought behind what length technically constitutes an EP. It should just be the length that feels right. Who cares if the (no longer relevant) industry standard dictates that EPs are traditionally under 25 minutes – by that logic, Add Violence isn't an EP.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    He shouldn't be concerned with the conventional thought behind what length technically constitutes an EP. It should just be the length that feels right. Who cares if the (no longer relevant) industry standard dictates that EPs are traditionally under 25 minutes – by that logic, Add Violence isn't an EP.
    Neither is Broken if you account for the covers

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was actually going to remark this.
    It is true. And I think the same. I couldn't care less about the time.
    But let's say 7 tracks under 35 minutes, mostly of it constituting of the average track length in the two previous EPs.
    Trent would definitely make up for the delay.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I hope EP #3 is terrifying, as harsh and punishing as Tetsuo: The Bullet Man and Not The Actual Events, and yet the catchiest thing ever released with Trent's name on it.

Obviously I'll be excited for whatever he has in store for us but since we're just shooting in the dark right now that's the idea that really gets me revved.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    All I know is that The Idea of You, Burning Bright, and This Isn't the Place are some of my favorite NIN songs since The Fragile and I want more like them!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think these 3 EPs will set the grounds for the next album - how it will sound.
    Trent will read about what is pleasing fans most - and of course - the three EPs are actually fine by him.
    I think it's an experiment for the next full length 16 song album.
    Have you ever imagined a "NTAE"-like FULL LENGTH?
    But I believe there will be a great deal of AV lovers as well...