Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 72

Thread: Anthony Fantano, the internet's busiest white supremacist

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post

    This is basically irrelevant, it can't be used as a serious defence against accusations of racism. We've no idea what his marriage is like, how he treats his wife etc. The rest of your sentence sure, I'm not challenging that here, but this particular talking point, nope.

    Except that we have seen interactions between Fantano and his wife, on his youtube channels and via his social media accounts, I believe some dating back to before they were even married.

    Also, maybe I'm being naive, but I'm completely ok with giving his wife the benefit of the doubt in thinking she wouldn't allow herself to be married to someone who thinks she is a lesser level of human than he is.
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 10-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    Except that we have seen interactions between Fantano and his wife a couple of times, on his youtube channels and via his social media accounts, I believe some even dating back to before they were even married.

    Also, maybe I'm being naive, but I'm completely ok with giving his wife the benefit of the doubt in thinking she wouldn't allow herself to be married to someone who thinks she is a lesser level of human than he is.
    Racism isn't simply white supremacy -- that's why there's a separate term for it. Racism can also be, as botley pointed out, an exploitation of uneven power dynamics due to the lower social and economic status of minorities; appropriation of cultural material and/or obliviousness to its social meaning; and many other subtler but very real forms of discrimination. It can simply be making money off or otherwise exploiting said culture or its subjugation, which many of these memes do.

    Additionally, if there is this much debate over whether or not something is racist, dehumanizing, offensive, or nihilistic in regards to a group of humans' humanity -- maybe there's something to it and it's wise just to play it safe and find something else to "make harmless jokes" about?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Consider, would you say "person X couldn't be sexist, he married a woman"?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Consider, would you say "person X couldn't be sexist, he married a woman"?
    No, but sexism and racism aren't the same thing.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So Fantano has more power than a pop star? OK...... Also, since when did it become wrong to make fun of specific people? Trump gets it every night.

    A white homeless person can't make fun of Beyoncé because she is black and therefore has less power than the homeless person because the homeless person is white? OK......

    Dave Chappelle can make fun of white people, but not the other way around just because of the skin color? OK.... Last time I checked we are all human.....

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    ^^^would so facepalm^^^

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Dave Chappelle can make fun of white people, but not the other way around just because of the skin color?
    This is absolutely correct. I am not even kidding.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This thread is a pretty good example of how the media can manipulate the masses to demonize a man just by writing an article. The Fader should write an article about how Trent Reznor is a sexist, murderous piece of shit because of the *horribly offensive* lyrics in the song "big man with a gun" and see how many people eat that shit up without doing their research or knowing what satire is. BTW whose dick do i have to suck to get the power to facepalm everyone i disagree with?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    This is absolutely correct. I am not even kidding.
    Dave Chappelle would disagree with you
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Dave Chappelle would disagree with you
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/98uesc...----uncensored

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    Where does he say or even insinuate white people can't joke about black people in that clip? Did you watch that before linking it? Also you do realize many of the jokes about black people on that show were written by Neal Brennan, a white man?
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-05-2017 at 09:26 PM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Smithtown, New York
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Where does he say or even insinuate white people can't joke about black people in that clip? Did you watch that before linking it? Also you do realize many of the jokes about black people on that show were written by Neal Brennan, a white man?
    Neil Brennan confirmed racist piece of shit

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,868
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Y’all got trolled. Homie isn’t racist, homie isn’t a sexist, he’s not far right. Literally making up reasons to be offended. Literally.
    #problematic
    #facepalms
    #inventedcontroversy

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I used to be subbed to theneedledrop, but it seemed like he started reviewing more horseshit throwaway rap than bands with actual musical talent. Might check him out again to see if that's changed.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,977
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    This thread is a pretty good example of how the media can manipulate the masses to demonize a man just by writing an article.
    He's not a demon, he's just an asshole, which IMO is totally on par for the course in vlogger culture. Nothing exceptional about his behaviour whatsoever, he was just chasing bucks and crossed a line as many have done and continue to do without consequences. The Fader reported what he posted, some of which contains racist material. Everybody defending him points to other stuff he did, as though that cancels it out somehow, which of course it doesn't. Nobody censored him, nobody asked him to take the channel down, he did it himself because YouTube stopped funding it. Oh and also because he was probably quite rightly embarrassed by it, and I suspect he actually has some conscience about this deep down. We'll see how he responds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    The Fader should write an article about how Trent Reznor is a sexist, murderous piece of shit because of the *horribly offensive* lyrics in the song "big man with a gun" and see how many people eat that shit up without doing their research or knowing what satire is.
    What part of The Fader piece is poorly researched? Once again, nobody has contradicted the facts presented in the article. "Big Man with a Gun" isn't really a satire (I'm aware Reznor reportedly said it satirizes misogyny "in a way", but he certainly doesn't play it for laughs); it's a characterization. That controversy already played itself out, and Reznor took his knocks for it. If Trent Reznor participated in a YouTube video where he "satirically" invited women to drink bleach, as Fantano did, I would say that he was a sexist piece of shit.
    Last edited by botley; 10-06-2017 at 10:43 AM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    He's not a demon, he's just an asshole, which IMO is totally on par for the course in vlogger culture. Nothing exceptional about his behaviour whatsoever, he was just chasing bucks and crossed a line as many have done and continue to do without consequences. The Fader reported what he posted, some of which contains racist material. Everybody defending him points to other stuff he did, as though that cancels it out somehow, which of course it doesn't. Nobody censored him, nobody asked him to take the channel down, he did it himself because YouTube stopped funding it. Oh and also because he was probably quite rightly embarrassed by it, and I suspect he actually has some conscience about this deep down. We'll see how he responds.


    What part of The Fader piece is poorly researched? Once again, nobody has contradicted the facts presented in the article. "Big Man with a Gun" isn't really a satire (I'm aware Reznor reportedly said it satirizes misogyny "in a way", but he certainly doesn't play it for laughs); it's a characterization. That controversy already played itself out, and Reznor took his knocks for it. If Trent Reznor participated in a YouTube video where he "satirically" invited women to drink bleach, as Fantano did, I would say that he was a sexist piece of shit.
    So the smoking gun for him being a racist piece of shit is the picture of a black dude hanging himself with a roll of toilet paper right? The Fader either did NOT do their research or PURPOSEFULLY took that picture and edited it to look like a man actually being lynched to push their agenda. "he's playing the specter of black suicide for laughs". Absolutely fucking ridiculous.
    Oh and he put up a stupid "real nigga hours" meme he probably found on facebook in the background for a couple seconds. Really demonstrates a hatred for black people there. What a racist piece of shit.

    ANd really? It's totally fine in your eyes to make a serious and violent sounding song about raping and murdering someone but an obvious joke video which has a reference to drinking bleach is CLEARLY sexist and crosses the line? LMAO You definitely aren't biased.

    Other things they got wrong would include him apparently endorsing every single thing Sam Hyde said on his podcast, and that Sam Hyde is some kind of known alt-right figure. Anthony started that podcast with an intro specifically saying he did not endorse any of the shit sam said just to be edgy (which included insults and threats against anthony's own dad, conveniently left out of the article to push the narrative). Now, I've actually heard conflicting things about Sam Hyde actually being alt-right but I haven't seen any actual evidence to indicate it other than him saying clearly stupid edgy shit just for shock value which is what he's always done. Oh and they also call Sargon of Akkad a "far-right youtuber" which is just blatantly false.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 02:01 PM.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm surprised to hear about the other channel of his and the content. I've liked watching a few of his reviews in the past and remember hearing about him essentially due to his interest in Death Grips.

    While I haven't watched any of the videos that are shown in the article, I totally get the 4chan vibe off of them. That place has always been insane to me and I remember how blurred the lines get between satire and outright hate for the same topics. I remember this thing where people harassed Hot Topic for putting up a shirt with a meme graphic print and the people from 4chan bombed it convincing HT that they were selling shirts with racist messages. I had a friend at the time that explained to me how it usually would begin with a prank that was subversive and a few people would be in on the humor while others would join in and actually harbor such ideas and go along with it anyway and it would usually be hard to sort out who was seriously racist vs. those just trying to get a rise out of people. So if he's dealing with that "other world" that comes from 4chan I would expect the lines to be blurry as to whether he is using it in an ironic way or he's sympathetic to alt-right ideas, maybe he's not executing it effectively or is doing it just like I remember where racist people and people doing it for shits and giggles are both like "haha yes!". My advice for him is to get the fuck out of there ASAP before his mind is irreversibly scrambled lol.

    *Edit: hit submit early*
    Last edited by YouOftenForget; 10-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    hopefully grave soon
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is the same guy who refused to say the entire title to "Niggas On The Moon" due to the word "nigga"

    There is nothing more needed to know. Most people have mocked this guy for being too "left". Yet suddenly he is apparently a nazi or something.

    Fuck, man.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    437
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    His is on the Mu forms on 4chan so there is that

  19. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,977
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    The Fader either did NOT do their research or PURPOSEFULLY took that picture and edited it to look like a man actually being lynched to push their agenda.
    Neither of the two things you've proposed is plausible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    It's totally fine in your eyes to make a serious and violent sounding song about raping and murdering someone but an obvious joke video which has a reference to drinking bleach is CLEARLY sexist and crosses the line?
    You're putting words in my mouth, and I'm not going to argue with you about what I believe anymore, because you demonstrate a lack of understanding when I explain it to you.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Where does he say or even insinuate white people can't joke about black people in that clip? Did you watch that before linking it? Also you do realize many of the jokes about black people on that show were written by Neal Brennan, a white man?
    It's Dave Chappelle making fun of white people.

    Neal Brennan has spoken at length about what it's like working with black comedians and it generally involves empathy and gauging how well he knows them personally. If you think he'd be fine with a white person in stand-up punching down on minorities, you're sorely mistaken.

    This idea that Chris Rock saying "cracker" is a genuine plight that white people have to struggle with is absolutely pathetic.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 10-06-2017 at 06:17 PM.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Neither of the two things you've proposed is plausible.
    Ok so what is plausible to you? The Fader is 100% right about everything and Anthony actually used a picture of a black man being lynched even though he provably didn't? Do I have to post the source picture here?

    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth, and I'm not going to argue with you about what I believe anymore, because you demonstrate a lack of understanding when I explain it to you.
    What words did I put in your mouth? You're saying if Trent did what Anthony did, he'd be a sexist piece of shit, implying you don't view BMWAG as sexist but what Anthony did is. It'd be great if you could explain what I got wrong there but it seems like you've simply ran out of things to say.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 06:39 PM.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    It's Dave Chappelle making fun of white people.

    Neal Brennan has spoken at length about what it's like working with black comedians and it generally involves empathy and gauging how well he knows them personally. If you think he'd be fine with a white person in stand-up punching down on minorities, you're sorely mistaken.
    "punching down on minorities" weird how you say that as if that's what's going on here. I defy you to link me anything where either of them say white people can't joke about black people, which is what we were talking about.

    PS if you do link something try to atleast watch it first

    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    This idea that Chris Rock saying "cracker" is a genuine plight that white people have to struggle with is absolutely pathetic.
    Resorting to random strawman arguments when you've run out of ideas is pretty pathetic too
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 07:04 PM.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)


    Here's Anthony's response. He does a really good job of breaking down exactly what The Fader fabricated while providing evidence for everything, if anyone's interested in a different perspective.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    631
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post


    Here's Anthony's response. He does a really good job of breaking down exactly what The Fader fabricated while providing evidence for everything, if anyone's interested in a different perspective.
    botley and the other nuts can learn something

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post


    Here's Anthony's response. He does a really good job of breaking down exactly what The Fader fabricated while providing evidence for everything, if anyone's interested in a different perspective.
    /thread

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    He refutes every single thing, not only the intentions of his videos, but that the things that everyone in this thread were upset by were outright lies in the article. This argument is over.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    botley and the other nuts can learn something
    This has been a civil argument so far. Let's not call names, dude.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah they're not nuts. At worst it's just kind of disgusting how quickly people can view someone as a "racist (or sexist, or whatever) piece of shit" just because an article told them to in a well written and neatly presented way, without looking into the facts themselves.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 11:13 PM.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Yeah they're not nuts. At worst it's just kind of gross how quickly people can view someone as a "racist (or sexist, or whatever) piece of shit" just because an article told them to in a well written and neatly presented way, without looking into the facts themselves.
    I agree there's no need for name calling, but you're giving them a little too much credit - that article was in no way "well-written"

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    I agree there's no need for name calling, but you're giving them a little too much credit - that article was in no way "well-written"
    I mean "well written" in the sense that it's coherent from beginning to end and doesn't have any glaring grammar errors and shit like that. Maybe "written decently enough" would be the better phrase. It's obviously a terribly written article in terms of quality though because it's filled with absolute lies and misrepresentations.
    Last edited by Airbornefeline; 10-06-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions