Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Tom Petty

Such as sad way to start a thread....

RIP Tom...I just saw him perform in Seattle just over a month ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3536756

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    God damnit. I just saw that he had been found unconscious, then saw the update that he had been taken off life support.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Of all of the fairly recent musician deaths, this one is particularly difficult for me. It sucked to lose David Bowie and Chris Cornell, but this one really hurts. I grew up listening to Tom. My parents are big fans and played Wildflowers, the Greatest Hits, and Full Moon Fever pretty often while I was growing up. Since high school, I've become an even bigger fan than my parents. I was lucky enough to have the pleasure of seeing him four times over the years, including a show this past summer. I just didn't think it would be the last one. As TR says in This Isn't the Place, I thought we had more time. I can't believe he's gone.

EDIT: Apparently early reports of his death were inaccurate? Hope he pulls through...
    http://www.etonline.com/initial-tom-...cardiac-arrest
    http://kdvr.com/2017/10/02/tom-petty...-life-support/
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-02-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    While it's good to hear those initial reports of him dying weren't accurate, I would be cautious with the optimism. Right before Carrie Fisher died last winter (under similar circumstances), reports about her condition went back and forth, but she ultimately died. Even if Tom is alive, if he had no brain activity, as was reported earlier today, he may sadly not last much longer or never be the same again.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    deeply saddened by this news like the rest of you. Only two of the Traveling Wilburys still alive now, or very soon. Crazy.

Always thought he Mudcrutch revival was handled really well. Loved this song:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    A staple of great American music now gone. Truly one of the best and someone that I'm sure has a favorite or two of the songs he's created. There's so many he has created that will stand the test of time. Thank you Tom. Say hi to George and Roy for us.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Very sad to hear this. Thought he would be around a lot longer.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't know his work much, but it's strange I had his beautiful "Mary Jane's Last Dance" in my mind several days ago, with Kim Basinger video, from the best year in the history of music and MTV, 1993.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I have vivid memories of listening to Wildflowers in junior high when it had just come out. My older brother had a copy and my English teacher also played it in class. Pretty awesome album. I always really loved "Mary Jane's Last Dance", "Free Fallin'" and "I Won't Back Down" as well.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    One of my favorites, no doubt, i never got to see him live (he never came near y hometown), i want to kick myself in the ass...

Today i played "Highway companion" and this song sounded awesome as a requiem:

RIP Mr Mudcrutch, you will be missed...

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Like many kids growing up in the 80s my parents always had a radio on...in my case, growing up in western PA, it was WDVE. You couldn't listen to 'DVE for any appreciable amount of time without hearing a Tom Petty song. His music made an indelible mark on my childhood and while we'll always have the music it makes me sad that he's gone.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tom Petty was awesome. One of the few classic rock artists I generally really enjoyed. I first saw him in 2008 at the Pemberton Music Festival (same one NIN was at), and it was at his show that I crowd surfed for the first (and only) time. It was during "Free Falling" and I was appropriately dropped during free falling while crowd surfing, lol. It is a moment I will always remember.

Saw him again a few years later on the Hypnotic Eye tour (great record by the way).
    He just rolled through town again last month, but I passed on the show since I had already seen him so soon before (like less than 2 years?). Kinda regret not going now.

I donno why, but whenever I need comfort, I'll usually reach for Tom Petty. My grandmother died recently, and I put on his music. He has a way to sooth your pain.
    Hope he Rests In Peace. This one hits a little too close to home.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just saw him a couple months ago with Joe Walsh. Tom's music has always been in my life, either from my dad's classic rock radio listening habits or my sister's fandom at home. This bothers me more than I thought it would.

Maybe I just don't want to be in a world without Tom Petty.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I will say this much, I noticed during the Seattle show how frail he was...even had shakes in between songs. I wonder if this tour was a contributing factor to his untimely passing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He always a wiry dude though. I guess I just hope he was knocking it out at his full power until the end.

When you actually look at his catalogue it's astounding.

I was watching Eddie Vedder do some of his songs and while Vedder has a much stronger voice he struggled to pull off things Petty did with his songs effortlessly.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I was watching Eddie performing w/ Tom & the Heartbreakers on "The Waiting" as I remember Eddie talking about that song in a great documentary about the band directed by Peter Bogdanovich. I know people will always say The Last Waltz is the best rock concert/music documentary ever but I totally disagree.

Here's a film that runs at four hours but it never felt like that at all and it leaves you wanting for more. I totally recommend that film as it feature so many things about the band including some funny stories.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I was in high school when "Breakdown" came out, and everybody was going "WHERE IS THIS GUY FROM?" with this weird French accent, LOL.

I haven't been a giant Tom Petty music fan but I really really respected him, his songwriting, and his advocacies and honesty about the music business, and how he was known to be a really really nice guy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is perhaps his most definitive song, as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That features a great cover by Johnny Cash w/ Petty on backing vocals. Petty said that Cash's version is better than his.

Plus, can you name an artist who fought for the right of record buyers by having them refuse to pay $2 more for a new album?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Other than the hits, never was huge into Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Always liked this one from The Traveling Wilburys, which Tom was part of.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I still can't believe he's dead. It just doesn't seem real to me. His music still lives on, in my house at least.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I still can't believe he's dead. It just doesn't seem real to me. His music still lives on, in my house at least.
    Yeah, same here. Seems like a bad dream. I'm SO glad that I went to his concert this summer on the 40th anniversary tour. I really hope they release that "Wildflowers – All the Rest" collection of leftover songs from Wildflowers soon (Tom had talked about putting it out soon and doing a Wildflowers tour, as well). Or was it going to be a Wildflowers box-set? Either way, that might be my favorite period of his, and I can't wait to hear the other half that wasn't released (for those who don't know, Wildflowers was originally meant to be a double-album, but the record label made him trim it down to one album's worth of material and the rest was shelved).
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-15-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Today would have been his 67th birthday

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

From the forthcoming box-set An American Treasure.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Here's the interview with his daughter Adria on Tom Petty Radio from yesterday. Still no release date yet for Wildflowers: All the Rest, but I'm elated that Dana (Petty's widowed 2nd wife) and his daughters (Adria and Annakim) have patched things up since their lawsuit and the band are currently working on finishing this important project. I'm really looking forward to this release, it feels like it's the closest thing to a new Tom Petty album we'll ever get again.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    That demo is pretty good and it's interesting to hear that alternate second verse. I'm really looking forward to this expanded version of the album.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of the first CD's I bought was the She's the One soundtrack. I didn't have much a clue of how connected that material was to Wildflowers until recently but it makes a lot of sense now. I'm guessing whatever package this is will house all of those songs together in some form or fashion. That's the most interesting aspect to me of this.