Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Outbursts of Joy!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Outbursts of Joy!

Joy of dating someone impulsive: I'm going to France next week! Eeiiiiiiiiggggghhjjjjjjj
    Last edited by Dra508; 09-25-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I finally made it to Estes Park, Colorado. It is absolutely beautiful here. I think I want to move here. Spending the next two nights in The Stanley.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I finally made it to Estes Park, Colorado. It is absolutely beautiful here. I think I want to move here. Spending the next two nights in The Stanley.
    If it's open and you have a car, I highly suggest driving up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. Breathtaking.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Just found out Nick Swardson in going to be at the Improv downtown this weekend so I immediately grabbed tickets. I tweeted about it and then was retweeted by Terry himself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    ok, to balance out my pissed off-ness:
    hitting the on ramp to the 401, a HUGE and beautiful and fluffy and glorious hawk was sitting on a tree at the side of the ramp. the branch he was on was level with my face and i squee-d like it was my triple overtime JOB. so wonderful.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I set myself a goal for the end of the year to be moving to Colorado. I'm both scared and excited as I will be completely alone out there.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    just finished mixing down another song for this album I've been driving myself insane making on and off for the past three years. Four down, five to go, but at this rate we should be done by the end of the week. And it's sounding pretty damn nifty so far if I do say so myself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I finally got a G-SYNC monitor for my gaming PC and holy shit I'm glad I did it. 144hz and 1440p looks beautiful and G-SYNC finally fixes stuttering and tearing which always pissed me off.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    I'VE Made something that is actually great. Listening to it kinda freaks me out, but i believe in it, and love it to death.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So...

I don't do a lot of personal venting or revealing or whatnot hereabouts. I tend to keep myself to myself. But here goes.

I've spent the last seven and a half years as my mother's caretaker following a stroke she suffered in 2009. During this period, my father also passed on. When first started his slow decay into emphysema and death, the emotional walls went up and I stopped being able to really connect with people. Following a period of alcoholism out of which I emerged thankfully in short order, I've pretty much spent the time since in a state of detachment and disassociation, with nothing much in the way of direction. I essentially resigned myself to being my mom's caretaker and little more.

Shortly after the stroke, she began developing spinal stenosis. She required back surgery, which played all kinds of hell with her physiotherapy. Walking became out of the question; she couldn't endure the pain. This combined with her self-pity, depression, and unwavering religious faith encouraged prayer for miracles and healing, and discouraged her from performing even the most basic of her hand exercises. She got some arm and leg control back on the affected side, but never fully recovered - her bladder control never returned. I give her every credit for getting back what little she did though in her arm and leg, and she found a form of therapy in drawing (religious imagery, natch).

During all of this, I didn't do much but carry on with my 9-5 job, wheeled her about to wherever she needed to go (we tried enrolling her at a couple of seniors' activity centers, but she hated every one of them). My personal interests were essentially limited to concertgoings, collecting videogames which I would barely play, comics, CDs and action figures. There's nothing wrong with that, but in retrospect, I was very much trying to fill a void because I had nothing going on and felt empty. Pure material escapism from my daily reality of emptying waste buckets and laundering filthy sheets.

Friends would ask me "How long will you take care of her? When do you move on with your own life?" and I only replied I didn't know. I supposed the answer was "until I can't anymore", and that became the case last year. Her bladder control deteriorated to the point where after suffering several urinary tract infections, she had to have a catheter put in, whereupon we talked it over and decided it would be best if she entered a seniors' facility.

It's been a few months now, and she's adapting. As for myself...almost four years ago, amidst my resignation, I did the unthinkable and allowed myself to start up a relationship.

We took it slow. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. She stood by me and told me she would wait as long as it took for me to be ready to start a life with her. And she did what I'd long since stopped doing; encouraging me to think about myself a bit, and to do what *I* want to do, which I'm not sure if I ever really have done.

So here I am. She moved in with me after my mother moved into her facility, and pretty much is helping me put myself back together.

I got a month alone to recuperate a bit. I'm learning guitar, exercising, and, cheesy as it may sound, trying to learn how to take care of myself again. I have a vague aim to record music. Whether for myself, to perform live, to start a band...I don't know. At least now I have some sort of goal. And someone with whom I actually share something special.

So generally speaking...I feel all right these days. I think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I recently decided to get into artist/band management/consulting and have started taking on clients.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Haven't been around lately trying to focus on my sales job a bit better. Well, perseverance and a little luck, landed my first monster deal. Displaced a competitor makes it even sweeter. Oh my gawd I'm so happy. Guess I'll be visiting Chicagoland more often now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    The other day I found out that I got selected for a mentoring program at my university. I have a 12 credit hour semester in the fall, and a 6 credit hour semester in the spring, and then I am done. For each of these terms, I will be responsible for mentoring two new students. And for that, I get a scholarship that covers 100% of my remaining tuition. I also recently got elected to the governing council, so I sit on a board with actual important people and vote on proposals for the university.

Academically, I am succeeding in a way that I never thought was possible for me. Personally, life is a shitshow. I still haven't been able to nail down solid employment, and I have about $77 left in my bank account. The scholarship is a huge relief, as during the semesters, that is a $700/month payment that I won't have to make. Even if I don't have somewhere to stay soon, I won't fucking have to drop out of school.

Two weekends ago, I had my heart legitimately broken for the first time in my life. In the past, I've been sad or disappointed about how some things have ended, but I've never had my heart just crushed by someone I love. So I guess 32 is a good time to experience that for the first time. And my remaining play partner is going through some things right now that I am DEFINITELY not handling as well as I thought I would.

WEIRD TIMES, MAN.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Haven't been around lately trying to focus on my sales job a bit better. Well, perseverance and a little luck, landed my first monster deal. Displaced a competitor makes it even sweeter. Oh my gawd I'm so happy. Guess I'll be visiting Chicagoland more often now

Three weeks later and I feel like I've been in labor trying to negotiate a legal agreement. Didn't help that their counsel was as old as dirt and pretty passive aggressive and mine was a kid full of arrogance, piss, and vinegar, but it's done done done. Whoooopppp.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    online cat purr generator

https://purrli.com/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I hopped on the scale on Friday. I was at 168 lbs which means I've lost about 15 pounds in the last 2.5 months. This is my lowest weight since high school pretty much.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    online cat purr generator
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post

this is amazing, it even has a timer so that I can wake up to purrs, minus the nose biting of an actual cat
    Last edited by millionmilesaway; 07-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I am clear to obtain a motor vehicle license!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So I've mentioned in other threads that I'm planning to move to Colorado with a girl I really care about. Well, Friday is my birthday, and today my dad and stepmom gave me my gift. It was a significantly large check to help out with the move.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I just started crying a little bit because I realized how fucking lucky I am with my life right now. A girl I love beyond anything has agreed to take a leap of faith with me and move across the country to start a life together.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    I think I'm about to go back into boyfriend/girlfriend mode... I really like this girl, and she's adorable, caring, she loves dogs, she has an odd penchant for 80s hair metal that I think is awesome... and she's beautiful, and by beautiful I mean stunningly beautiful.

I don't know what she sees in me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I got a potential job offer in Colorado. A damn good one if it goes through. Wouldn’t have to take a paycut. If anything I might get more.