Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Outbursts of Joy!

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After being without reliable vehicular transportation for close to 3 months, I finally changed that. I was given a new van. Yes. GIVEN. My sisters friends parents were going to donate their 2002 Mazda MPV, but heard that I am without a car. They offered it to me, and I graciously accepted it. I am so fucking happy that I don't have to Uber to work or ask my mom to borrow her car anymore. I feel re-liberated, like I am 18 again. FURY II is on the road, and southeast Michigan better watch the fuck out!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    And now I've successfully defended my PhD! Whew.. finally, I can get back to doing things that really matter, like working on nincatalog..
    Bonus, I incorporated NIN into my research by using the new NIN logo as part of my experiments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    And now I've successfully defended my PhD! Whew.. finally, I can get back to doing things that really matter, like working on nincatalog..
    Bonus, I incorporated NIN into my research by using the new NIN logo as part of my experiments
    Congratulations, Doctor. There is no better feeling then when it is over. You can finally start real life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow. There does not seem to be much joy recently.

I got a job. A real job with a 401k and my taxes taken out for me and everything. I am going to miss being a postdoc and how relaxed it is but I'll get over it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Moving to Denmark for three weeks. Thanks, college!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Finally received settlement for last September's car accident that resulted in a broken left arm.

WARNING: Gnarly injury photo.

It's not a lot but I can finally afford a new couch. I figured I deserve it.
    And I have a cute new 2011 Hyundai Accent now, too.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Played my first live show in a band (bass, lead vocals) on Saturday! Went about as well as you could expect, which is about 70% good 30% fuck-ups for various reasons (gogo venue power strip failing on our guitarist mid song).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i've fallen in love! very truly. not cupcake shit. this man is my future and i've met my match.

edit: i don't feel so nihilistic and selfish anymore and it's only been a few months. i will not wake up as a fucked up wild child tomorrow. and it actually feels right.
    Last edited by ldopa; 03-26-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tomorrow I'm going to tell my boss that this is my last year. Time to find a new job.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I talked to my boss and essentially gave him a five month notice. Advised him I will be quitting, however not immediately since I know they will need time to interview people. Plus, I need time as well to find a new job. This is my fifth year working here, but it's just become too emotionally and physically draining. Ready to move on and start a new chapter in my life.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    she is BAAAAAAAAACK.

worrying to the left of me, joy to the right <3

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    today I'm going to get shit done, and it's going to be awesome! I have no idea why I feel so energetic and inspired, but holy shit if I sit around looking at the internet and researching new sound toys to buy instead of actually making some great music, I deserve whatever indifference I get in the future.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldopa View Post
    i've fallen in love! very truly. not cupcake shit. this man is my future and i've met my match.

edit: i don't feel so nihilistic and selfish anymore and it's only been a few months. i will not wake up as a fucked up wild child tomorrow. and it actually feels right.
    love this.
    digging the "met my match"...very very important for some! <3

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    thanks @Lew !!
    he's my mirror and my muse. life is beautiful.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    mirror...muse...match!
    triple m, ftw <3

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    today I'm going to get shit done, and it's going to be awesome! I have no idea why I feel so energetic and inspired, but holy shit if I sit around looking at the internet and researching new sound toys to buy instead of actually making some great music, I deserve whatever indifference I get in the future.
    i need that.
    i promised myself i would stop spending six fucking months per demo, but it's been like 3, and i've got half a song and a bunch of random intermittent sketches and loops.

But....hey! I've got a bunch of badass random intermittent sketches and loops! at least that!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, my best friend and I have been estranged for a little over two years. It has been an incredibly difficult and sad couple of years, and even though I was doing better, I never stopped missing her and I was always hopeful that someday she may reach out to me again (though I thought that was very, very unlikely).

Two days ago, out of the blue, she reached out to me. We talked, we cried, we're now friends again, and well on our way to being best friends again.

I can't even explain how much she means to me or how happy I am. I cried three god damn times talking to her Thursday night. We spent four hours on the phone yesterday catching up. It was amazing. It was like no time had passed. She is the closest friend I have ever had and I am so, so thrilled to have her back in my life.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This is a serious post but it makes me feel safe so ask me to delete it, if it's inappropriate. I found out that my step-dad will be spending life in prison. Never getting out to hurt children ever again. That makes me so relieved, like I don't have to be hypersensitive and it's a bit of closure for me too.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There is another new, free Chance the Rapper album out!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So I've been considering and talking about this trip for the last few years, but due to my fear of flying I've really never done anything. Well, now I'm happy to say in October I'll be taking a flight to Denver and then driving up to the historic Stanley Hotel which is best known for being Stephen King's inspiration for The Shining. I'll be spending two nights there all by my lonesome. I'm both excited and terrified.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know what exactly the weed policy is there? I know it's legal in Colorado but not really the specifics. Is there a restriction at all for tourists?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Outbursts of Joy!

Joy of dating someone impulsive: I'm going to France next week! Eeiiiiiiiiggggghhjjjjjjj
    Last edited by Dra508; 09-25-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I finally made it to Estes Park, Colorado. It is absolutely beautiful here. I think I want to move here. Spending the next two nights in The Stanley.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I finally made it to Estes Park, Colorado. It is absolutely beautiful here. I think I want to move here. Spending the next two nights in The Stanley.
    If it's open and you have a car, I highly suggest driving up Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. Breathtaking.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just found out Nick Swardson in going to be at the Improv downtown this weekend so I immediately grabbed tickets. I tweeted about it and then was retweeted by Terry himself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    ok, to balance out my pissed off-ness:
    hitting the on ramp to the 401, a HUGE and beautiful and fluffy and glorious hawk was sitting on a tree at the side of the ramp. the branch he was on was level with my face and i squee-d like it was my triple overtime JOB. so wonderful.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I set myself a goal for the end of the year to be moving to Colorado. I'm both scared and excited as I will be completely alone out there.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    just finished mixing down another song for this album I've been driving myself insane making on and off for the past three years. Four down, five to go, but at this rate we should be done by the end of the week. And it's sounding pretty damn nifty so far if I do say so myself

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I finally got a G-SYNC monitor for my gaming PC and holy shit I'm glad I did it. 144hz and 1440p looks beautiful and G-SYNC finally fixes stuttering and tearing which always pissed me off.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'VE Made something that is actually great. Listening to it kinda freaks me out, but i believe in it, and love it to death.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    So...

I don't do a lot of personal venting or revealing or whatnot hereabouts. I tend to keep myself to myself. But here goes.

I've spent the last seven and a half years as my mother's caretaker following a stroke she suffered in 2009. During this period, my father also passed on. When first started his slow decay into emphysema and death, the emotional walls went up and I stopped being able to really connect with people. Following a period of alcoholism out of which I emerged thankfully in short order, I've pretty much spent the time since in a state of detachment and disassociation, with nothing much in the way of direction. I essentially resigned myself to being my mom's caretaker and little more.

Shortly after the stroke, she began developing spinal stenosis. She required back surgery, which played all kinds of hell with her physiotherapy. Walking became out of the question; she couldn't endure the pain. This combined with her self-pity, depression, and unwavering religious faith encouraged prayer for miracles and healing, and discouraged her from performing even the most basic of her hand exercises. She got some arm and leg control back on the affected side, but never fully recovered - her bladder control never returned. I give her every credit for getting back what little she did though in her arm and leg, and she found a form of therapy in drawing (religious imagery, natch).

During all of this, I didn't do much but carry on with my 9-5 job, wheeled her about to wherever she needed to go (we tried enrolling her at a couple of seniors' activity centers, but she hated every one of them). My personal interests were essentially limited to concertgoings, collecting videogames which I would barely play, comics, CDs and action figures. There's nothing wrong with that, but in retrospect, I was very much trying to fill a void because I had nothing going on and felt empty. Pure material escapism from my daily reality of emptying waste buckets and laundering filthy sheets.

Friends would ask me "How long will you take care of her? When do you move on with your own life?" and I only replied I didn't know. I supposed the answer was "until I can't anymore", and that became the case last year. Her bladder control deteriorated to the point where after suffering several urinary tract infections, she had to have a catheter put in, whereupon we talked it over and decided it would be best if she entered a seniors' facility.

It's been a few months now, and she's adapting. As for myself...almost four years ago, amidst my resignation, I did the unthinkable and allowed myself to start up a relationship.

We took it slow. It turned out to be exactly what I needed. She stood by me and told me she would wait as long as it took for me to be ready to start a life with her. And she did what I'd long since stopped doing; encouraging me to think about myself a bit, and to do what *I* want to do, which I'm not sure if I ever really have done.

So here I am. She moved in with me after my mother moved into her facility, and pretty much is helping me put myself back together.

I got a month alone to recuperate a bit. I'm learning guitar, exercising, and, cheesy as it may sound, trying to learn how to take care of myself again. I have a vague aim to record music. Whether for myself, to perform live, to start a band...I don't know. At least now I have some sort of goal. And someone with whom I actually share something special.

So generally speaking...I feel all right these days. I think.