Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Bikes & Biking

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Bikes & Biking

I bought my first road bike last summer, a 1987 Miyata 112. I rode for a couple of months before moving to a new neighborhood. Fast forward a year later, I brought it out of the basement to ride. A few weeks after that I got in trouble with the law. I've been riding like a madman out of necessity ever since, but when all is said and done I've been doing it more so for fun. A great way to get out of the house (and stay out), and the exercise is a mega bonus. I've really taken to it. Super addicting. I wish I started before turning 30.

My most lengthy ride so far was 42 miles with an hour stop at the destination. My most beast ride yet was 36 miles with more hills than I feel like I should be attempting, and going essentially nonstop (while stuck in 10th gear because of issues). I'm going to buy a noseless seat in the near future... :|

Currently the ride is in the shop for a tune-up (front brake and gear adjustment), and it will have some cool purple handlebar wrap when it's done (trying to shed all the exquisite red it came with).

If anyone here is also on Strava, PM me and let's connect.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-16-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Had a weirdly mild, terrific summer for road riding this year, and so I've been commuting to work lots more (15 mile round trip) by bike, even in rush hour. Which is quite the experience...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I spent the last 6 months training for a century with a local training group called couch2century. Well our century was supposed to be last Sunday, but Irma messed that all up (I'm in Florida) and it was canceled. So we got through all our training (78 miles was the longest ride) then got set back. So we are taking a couple more weeks to train and will try again. Today was my first ride in almost 2 weeks, 57 miles and also the climbiest ride so far for me.

I started riding in my late 30's on a Walmart hybrid. At 41, I got a better hybrid. My longest ride on that was 30 miles which was also my longest ride before I started training. I got a Salsa Vaya (gravel/light touring) about a year ago and planned on using that for the century (rode it up to the half point) until I found a deal on Craigslist on a 2016 Scott CR1 20 that I couldn't pass up.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Had to.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-17-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: All right. I guess I'll post it here too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I have never been on a motorbike, not even as a passenger. The only bike I ride these days is the stationary exercise bike in the basement.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I have a 2015 Trek 7.3 FX. I'd like to someday upgrade to something nice(r) like a Domane or (in my wildest dreams) a Madone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    A biking thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Calla lily View Post
    I spent the last 6 months training for a century with a local training group called couch2century. Well our century was supposed to be last Sunday, but Irma messed that all up (I'm in Florida) and it was canceled. So we got through all our training (78 miles was the longest ride) then got set back. So we are taking a couple more weeks to train and will try again. Today was my first ride in almost 2 weeks, 57 miles and also the climbiest ride so far for me.

I started riding in my late 30's on a Walmart hybrid. At 41, I got a better hybrid. My longest ride on that was 30 miles which was also my longest ride before I started training. I got a Salsa Vaya (gravel/light touring) about a year ago and planned on using that for the century (rode it up to the half point) until I found a deal on Craigslist on a 2016 Scott CR1 20 that I couldn't pass up.
    You have hills in Florida? But seriously: I have a Vaya and it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    I have a 2015 Trek 7.3 FX. I'd like to someday upgrade to something nice(r) like a Domane or (in my wildest dreams) a Madone.
    There's also the Emonda. What is it about those six letters?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    A biking thread?

There's also the Emonda. What is it about those six letters?
    True. Plus the Emonda is actually the lightest frame they have so it might actually be better suited for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    You have hills in Florida? But seriously: I have a Vaya and it's awesome.
    There's small hills, some are steep and pretty much all are short. There's a ride called the Horrible Hundred that hits most of the hills in the Clermont area. It's around 5200 ft elevation gain over the 100 miles. I'm trying to talk myself into riding it this year. I don't know if I can though, I would definitely need to head over there for some training rides first.