Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Please only post if you attended

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Holy shit, they're playing The Background World!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Highlights - background world, somewhat damaged, The day the world went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    Highlights - background world, somewhat damaged, The day the world went away

Pretty much. Still my favourite setlist this year so far.

I also recorded The Background World in full... on my iPhone, but still.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Omg fucking amazing!!!!!! Will disucuss more latter.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Absolutely fantastic set list. Is this the first time they've played The Background World live?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Really great set. Pissed i didn't see the nin merch booth, so I missed out on the shirt. :-(

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I stayed pretty much on the rail right center till about 1,000,000, then I had to fall back as I started to get lightheaded, plus I don't know how much speed and coke the jackass next to me was on. He kept literally like roaring or screaming nonsense. I want to say three separate times ushers had to tell him to chill the fuck out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was on the roots stage side and back about half and some guy kept trying to tell me not to dance. Assholes don’t understand where they were

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I will say this is the last time I go to a NIN show in my glasses. They must have nearly gotten knocked off at least five times.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's been a long day, so will post more on it later, but --
    Got there around 1130, and immediately claimed a spot along the rail, towards Atticus's side, and we stayed there all day. 10+ hours.

I can't believe we got the debut of The Background World! I got video of the whole song, but will have to upload tomorrow, or in a few days when I'm home.

Also very surprised - but so thrilled! - to get Somewhat Damaged again, as well as TDTWWA! Going to sleep now exhausted, but very happy.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    After just 45 minutes on the rail, my back is still screaming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic show. Loved the way The Great Destroyer lead into Burning Bright. Glad to hear Somewhat Damaged and TDTWWA as well. That was my first time seeing NIN live and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome show
    great set list
    the background world live was awesome!!!

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Download of my recording from last night is now available: http://ninlive.com/shows/2017/20170915.html

What can I say? My first NIN show since 2014 and it was NASTY!!!!! Drove from Detroit for the show and back the same night. Got there early to hopefully see DFA but we got stuck in some traffic. Made it in during Ministry and got a spot dead center of the stage. Taped New Order from where I stood, that tape is mediocre at best. Obviously more interested in catching NIN’s set. They did not disappoint. The sound was absolutely fantastic at the stage and Branches/Bones is a HEAVY HITTING opener! This was the Panorama Fest set on steroids. The first few songs I was getting thrown around as it got pretty aggressive out there. But I got through it! During “March of the Pigs,” some guy grabbed my shoulder (right on one of the mics) and I flipped on him. Turned around and gave him a swift heart punch and yelled, “don’t fucking touch me!” Honestly have no idea how that didn’t show up on the tape. Probably due to these beast of Schoeps mics. Should point out, BIG THANKS TO JD for allowing me to borrow his rig for this run of shows (including my Depeche Mode trek). He allowed me to run the same rig for the NIN/Soundgarden 2014 shows I went to.

“I Can’t Give Everything” was a real emotional song. Actually teared up during it. Just really powerful. This was also the debut live performance of “The Background World” and it was AMAZING! By the end of these two songs, there are a few spots of wind noise, as it started to pick up. I heard “The Hand That Feeds” and there was still 30 minutes left. I thought we were getting close to the end. HLAH played, then the encore… It was like a minute long and Trent comes back on stage and says, “fuck it, we’re playing some more!” and goes into SOMEWHAT FUCKING DAMAGED!!!!!!!!!! My favorite song, I lost it, man… So damn good. That encore kicked so much ass. The show was so good. There are not many better feelings than a concert high. I get it every time I see NIN. I am hoping for a club show on Sunday or Monday!

It was really nice to finally meet the other NIN fan site creators from ninhotline, nintourhistory, and ninwiki! It’s been a long time coming and it was finally nice to meet them all in person and chat for a few seconds!

Listening back to the tape now, I am really happy with the results and stoked to get this kind of quality for the archive. Thanks to all who have helped gather sources and sent them my way. Hope there is more to come from Cali next month and the tour in 2018!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Download of my recording from last night is now available: http://ninlive.com/shows/2017/20170915.html

What can I say? My first NIN show since 2014 and it was NASTY!!!!! Drove from Detroit for the show and back the same night. Got there early to hopefully see DFA but we got stuck in some traffic. Made it in during Ministry and got a spot dead center of the stage. Taped New Order from where I stood, that tape is mediocre at best. Obviously more interested in catching NIN’s set. They did not disappoint. The sound was absolutely fantastic at the stage and Branches/Bones is a HEAVY HITTING opener! This was the Panorama Fest set on steroids. The first few songs I was getting thrown around as it got pretty aggressive out there. But I got through it! During “March of the Pigs,” some guy grabbed my shoulder (right on one of the mics) and I flipped on him. Turned around and gave him a swift heart punch and yelled, “don’t fucking touch me!” Honestly have no idea how that didn’t show up on the tape. Probably due to these beast of Schoeps mics. Should point out, BIG THANKS TO JD for allowing me to borrow his rig for this run of shows (including my Depeche Mode trek). He allowed me to run the same rig for the NIN/Soundgarden 2014 shows I went to.

“I Can’t Give Everything” was a real emotional song. Actually teared up during it. Just really powerful. This was also the debut live performance of “The Background World” and it was AMAZING! By the end of these two songs, there are a few spots of wind noise, as it started to pick up. I heard “The Hand That Feeds” and there was still 30 minutes left. I thought we were getting close to the end. HLAH played, then the encore… It was like a minute long and Trent comes back on stage and says, “fuck it, we’re playing some more!” and goes into SOMEWHAT FUCKING DAMAGED!!!!!!!!!! My favorite song, I lost it, man… So damn good. That encore kicked so much ass. The show was so good. There are not many better feelings than a concert high. I get it every time I see NIN. I am hoping for a club show on Sunday or Monday!

It was really nice to finally meet the other NIN fan site creators from ninhotline, nintourhistory, and ninwiki! It’s been a long time coming and it was finally nice to meet them all in person and chat for a few seconds!

Listening back to the tape now, I am really happy with the results and stoked to get this kind of quality for the archive. Thanks to all who have helped gather sources and sent them my way. Hope there is more to come from Cali next month and the tour in 2018!
    Oh, that was you. I was next to you all night. I saw the altercation. Thought there was going to be blood. I was feeling off today, and kind of stayed in the shade until I knew I had to get to the stage.

I'm so very glad I got to be present for The Background World's debut. I loved it. Oh and The Day the World Went Away. Damn. Such a good setlist. It could have been something I'd have come up with. Even though being 3 months post-op, and feeling a bit worn down from overtime at work, then driving on my own from Cincy, I am soooooo happy I got to go and see this show.
    Last edited by mostlymad; 09-16-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: just more gushing

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Was the crowd really energetic? I love going to Riot Fest because the fans really give a fuck about rock music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Was the crowd really energetic? I love going to Riot Fest because the fans really give a fuck about rock music.
    Where I was it was ok. I was kinda the only one jumping around but that my fault for not getting up front. Was too excited for DFA and new order that I ended up on the wing side.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Oh, that was you. I was next to you all night. I saw the altercation. Thought there was going to be blood. I was feeling off today, and kind of stayed in the shade until I knew I had to get to the stage.
    Yeah, I'm usually not like that. And I get it, you're on the floor of a rock show and you know what you're getting yourself in to. But I thought I was far enough back to be out of the thick of it. Plus, these were not my mics, I borrowed them from a taper friend who was generous enough to allow me to use these again after using them in 2014. The whole mic rig is almost $5k when they were done with it. I was guarding it with my life. Plus the guy was trying to use my shoulder as a drum pretty much. Thankfully, he wasn't hitting the mics. But I lost it, cause he was a potential threat. Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Yeah they were, it was awesome!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Yeah, I'm usually not like that. And I get it, you're on the floor of a rock show and you know what you're getting yourself in to. But I thought I was far enough back to be out of the thick of it. Plus, these were not my mics, I borrowed them from a taper friend who was generous enough to allow me to use these again after using them in 2014. The whole mic rig is almost $5k when they were done with it. I was guarding it with my life. Plus the guy was trying to use my shoulder as a drum pretty much. Thankfully, he wasn't hitting the mics. But I lost it, cause he was a potential threat. Lmao

Yeah, I thought I was far enough back too. I have a couple bruises from some of the people attacking from behind to get closer, then the guy who was moshing by himself did a number to my arm.

The crowd really was energetic. The crowd down this way never moves for love nor money, so that was cool. It was just a few people kind of making it more like 1994 in Louisville. Luckily it wasn't that insane.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    It was one of the best NIN shows, it was one of the worst NIN shows (not because of NIN).

Tons of drunk douchebros pushing, elbowing and rushing perpetually. I was nearly crushed against the right side of the railing (where the VIP section was) multiple times. I turned around and threatened one drunken fuckhead because he kept elbowing me in the back and he was apologetic and stopped (only to slip past me while I recorded "I Can't Give Everything Away"). I don't understand the rudeness of these motherfuckers. You weren't here as early as I was so you are where you are and I am where I am. Fuck off. I'm not letting you past me easily.

The band sounded awesome and the setlist was long and lovely. No "The Idea Of You" or "Not Anymore" but I joyfully lost my mind when "The Background World " began, which led to me making friends with two women near me. Later, one of them was hit in the head with fruity booze and I got some of it in my face and hair so thanks again, douchebros! Ugh. I'm very very sore today (thanks, neuropathy and shitheads!) and clearly a bit grouchy as well but I'm glad I went. It was an excellent show overall despite many rude dickbags.

It's also a bummer that I couldn't locate the NIN merch stand in time and didn't get the Riot Fest one.
    Last edited by Swykk; 09-16-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Moved in as Ministry were wrapping up and found a great empty spot on the rail in front of the soundboard. It was just perfect view, perfect sound.

Until these douchebags came along, high and drunk out of their minds. Some douchy blonde asshole was overprotecting his 5 foot tall girlfriend cause she had a bad back. Doesn't give you the right to push everybody around off the soundboard rail halfway through New Order. He almost picked fights with everybody around him, except me, cause I'm this quiet, polite nerd. Thankfully his girlfriend just left without warning about a third into NIN's set... He'd been acting douchy the whole time to protect her but it took him like two full songs to realize she just left. Good riddance.

I love seeing NIN live, but festivals are just the worst settings. That being said, it was the best setlist I've seen this year, just enough surprises to make me really happy and glad I came over. I did the sweaty pit experience at both Panorama and Webster Hall, I'm glad I stood back this time and was able to really pay attention... They sounded absolutely great. Trent's voice is at its very best. Playing a few one off shows instead of touring non stop makes a big difference... His voice didn't crack, even towards the end of the show, where it usually begins to strain. He hit falsetto notes I can't remember him attempting for a long time. The mix was absolutely killer, very powerful and loud but crystal clear. Sound will vary a lot depending on where you're standing of course, but last night I had the perfect spot.

So all in all, great show, can't wait for Aftershock (hopefully that'll be my last festival in a long while though).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    There were WAY too many crowd surfers. I just can't stand them. One guy finished surfing and got down and I overheard him say "That was great, but I kicked some girl in the face, so I feel kinda bad." Um, yeah, that's what happens, jackass. Don't do it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Show was sick, the whole festival was. Especially Ministry and Action Bronson. Ill do a full write up when i get home. I taped Saul Williams, Action Bronson, MINISTRY, half of New Order and NIN of coure.

Edit: dude in the t rex costume in the pit FTW!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Where I was it was ok. I was kinda the only one jumping around but that my fault for not getting up front. Was too excited for DFA and new order that I ended up on the wing side.
    I got the same vibe in the back. My girlfriend and I were really getting into each song but I felt like the people around me were not getting to into it. Especially when Burning Bright came on. We quickly pushed forward at that moment so we could be in an area where people were enjoying it a little more. Btw, I think their performance of Burning Bright was my personal favorite highlight of the show.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Pretty much what it felt like being up front:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Pretty much what it felt like being up front:

Not quite up front, but very, very much like this where I was, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rad as hell.

A little further back than the sound desk. Yeah would've been cool to be closer but whatever. Not a whole lot of douchebaggery where we were at. Usual cutting going on but I've seen worse.

I lost my fucking mind when he broke the Hand that Feeds, Head Like a Hole, Hurt tradition. And for it to be Somewhat Damaged too, a song I've been dying to see live for years. Amazing.

Also very cool to have seen the live debut of The Background World, I'll always have that. I'll be honest, slightly bummed they didn't do anything with the ending loop. Obviously I didn't expect the full 7 minute decay-out but a bit of a jam would've been cool. But whatever, it was still fantastic.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Got at the venue around 10:30. Once the gates opened I made my way to the center stage and stayed there all day. Had a blast. Still feeling it physically.. I thought wrestling matches were brutal. Goddamn I'm sore!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Kinda surprised no one is mentioning the flashes of the add violence panel, trump and the presence during the great destroyer breakdown. Was I the only one peeking at the screens?