Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2017.09.15 - Chicago, IL @ Riot Fest

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Kinda surprised no one is mentioning the flashes of the add violence panel, trump and the presence during the great destroyer breakdown. Was I the only one peeking at the screens?
    I was still catching my breath and also recording the stage at the time. I didn't realize what they were doing with the screens till like the last 30 seconds.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Pretty much what it felt like being up front:

I literally thought of this exact scene when I was in there too (I felt like I was only breathing hot air with no oxygen in it). My wife and I were about 8 people from the rail and she bailed during March of the Pigs. After she left, I managed to make it about 3 people from the rail by myself, but I started to feel a little light-headed, so I moved a ways back during Copy of A (about halfway through the show) so I could actually watch from a comfortable space where I didn't have to struggle to breathe and not fall down. I feel like I sound like a pussy, but this was my 7th NIN show (was on the floor for 6 of them) and that was by FAR the most brutal pit I've ever been in. I definitely have some bruises today, but it was well worth it. That setlist was amazing. I got to hear most of the songs I wanted to and there were a few very unexpected surprises thrown in, too. Once I heard THTF start, I assumed (like many) that HLAH and Hurt would follow and the show would be over, so I was fucking PUMPED when Trent said "Fuck it, we're playing some more" and Somewhat Damaged started. TDTWWA was awesome as well. Also: the live debut of The Background World was amazing. It sounded fantastic live. This might be my 2nd favorite NIN show, right behind Lights in the Sky 2008. The energy at this show (from the crowd AND the band) was off the charts.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't suppose anyone got an extra guitar pick they'd be willing to part with? I've always wanted to get one and haven't had any luck so far.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I waited until I was home and able to gather my thoughts to write a bit about this experience but for starters: what a fucking show. Just, seriously. What a show.

Panorama had a special edge with it being my first time on the rail for NIN and being surrounded by other diehards and ETSers the whole time, but as far as the actual performance goes, this band just keeps getting better and better. They're in their absolute prime right now. Trent is practically on fire, and his voice sounds better than it maybe ever has live -- able to bounce between dynamics regularly and without sounding like it takes too much strain. I was on the rail immediately in front of Atticus after spending the whole day in the sun and it was beyond worth it -- people complained about his stage presence in the past, but being right there, if there were ever any problems, I think he's gotten past them -- he was into it, moving along and looking totally engrossed in his work. To get a perfect view of he and Ilan after having one of Robin and Ally in New York felt like a nice balance.

It was quite possibly the hottest pit I've ever been in. There was't even space to jump around to songs because the weight of everybody behind you was too intense, too crushing and too limiting for space. Hands were constantly trying to pry mine off of the rail and feet were regularly on top of mine. It felt odd to not be bouncing to March of the Pigs and yet only added to the sense of immediate craziness. I had to selectively measure out which songs I'd scream along to and which I'd lay it back to get some air, and for the first time in my life I really considered getting further back to be able to breathe a bit -- when it seemed like we were getting the same set as NYC, I told myself I'd wait until after Burning Bright and Reptile and back away, and then I told myself I'd wait until after the encore started to see if we were getting anything like She's Gone Away, and then The Background World started and I suddenly did not care about my body having regular access to breathable air at all.

And dear fucking god, The Background World. It's my favorite Add Violence song and it blew my mind to see it debuted. It's the first time I've ever seen them bust a song out for a debut and it was an amazing one to get to see -- it sounded absolutely fantastic, and the progressive build up was so powerful. I wasn't around as many people singing along as I was at Panorama but there were a cluster of totally hardcore fans behind me and all of them sang the "We will not get away" and "Are you sure, this is what you want?" parts. It was just gorgeous. In the most densely packed, no room to breathe pit of my life I had chills and tears in my eyes. The Bowie cover is a perfect thing of poignant beauty, I finally enjoyed 1,000,000 live and get the hype (what a difference not being in a plastic seat makes) and Burning Bright continues to be a new strong contender for my favorite song live. Both shows I have thrown my voice out from screaming it and both shows I've been happy to have that damage.

This was the first time where I didn't know the set 100 percent in advance and it really added to the feeling for me -- Background World and 1,000,000 added in made me feel like anything could happen, and even things like THTF had a fun sense of urgency and strength. When the encore happened I knew I'd made the right choice to not breathe for an hour and a half -- Somewhat Damaged could be in every setlist and I would never complain. I knew it was in the realm of possibility, but to have it go right into TDTWWA and follow the album tracklisting, dear god -- what a moment. I cried while smiling throughout the entire "na na NAAA" ending. There was just something about it -- the happiness of being right there, seeing my favorite band in the world, of knowing the trip I'd made for it was worth it, of hearing that song, of feeling Ilan's drums kicking into my chest, the beauty of the music, the personal and heartwrenching feel of it -- it all blended together into one of the most emotionally overwhelming moments of any concert for me.

Panorama had the best Hurt performance of my life and this crowd was far less willing to give it some reverence and space to breathe and wooed at every quiet moment, but I didn't even care in the afterglow of that encore. Going from the deep-seated catharsis of Somewhat Damaged right after the manic defiant high of HLAH into the raw and wonderful fragility and passion of TDTWWA is something more shows ought to have.

Such a fantastic time, one of the heaviest crowds and shows I've ever seen them do, probably my favorite setlist I've gotten (and if I'm saying that despite Reptile not being present then it really says something, because I am one of the most ardent Reptile live fans around) and that show after the whole day of legendary performances and the record store experience the day before made it into one of the best concert times of my life. I even enjoyed Ministry, a band I've never been big on at all. To see New Order right before NIN felt like I wasn't really awake at all and had fallen into some sort of death dream fantasy camp. Thank you @eversonpoe for inviting me out to Chicago and making me feel at home. The warmth and affection among this fandom is incredible and I always find it so beautiful that a band so mired in the worst in the human experience has led to all of the best of mine.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    Kinda surprised no one is mentioning the flashes of the add violence panel, trump and the presence during the great destroyer breakdown. Was I the only one peeking at the screens?
    Did you (or anybody else) notice that super tiny typed out message over some glitch for a split second? I was maybe about a good 30 yards back from the stage so I had a good view of the screen for that TGD breakdown. It kinda reminded me of something like the blue screen of death but this was different. The message was very small white text and laid over some black glitchy background and I'm pretty sure it was a question because there was definitely a question mark at the end of it. I remember it was pretty early on in the breakdown too because after I saw it I decided to take my phone out and record the screen for the rest of the breakdown incase no one else noticed that message but I didn't see anymore messages appearing. Is there anybody out there that can actually vouch this for me? Is there any videos on youtube of just the screens for that part? I haven't looked for it yet, but I'm guessing nobody else noticed this since no one is talking abut it...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Im being sent to Sioux City for work for 2 weeks, so my review of the festival and recordings i made will have to wait.

I still have to post on my experience with Raw and Smackdown from the previous week.

During the first part of saul williams, there was a dude by the soundboard with me who had a linear PCM recorder on him, is that person on here and does he have a 4th source for the NIN set? We tapers notice these sorts of things

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I feel a little bad some of you hung out on the rail for so long. Not really necessary. I didn't camp out till about the end of Ministry, and then the crowd just naturally pushed me to the front.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    A few things I saw at the show that made me go: What the fuck are you thinking?

I saw a girl in flip flops and a shirtless guy with nipple rings. Seems like a terribly painful accident waiting to happen, unless you're not planning on being near the stage.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Festivals are amateur hour. For every music nerd like us, there are ten people that this is the only show they will attend this year, and perhaps next.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    True enough. I don't know why I expected any better from people there. That's probably good advice for me in general, to stop expecting better from people.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Heading home now. My flight is delayed 3 hours and I'm alone in an airport on my birthday. I'll upload my pictures and video when I get home.

FYI: if you had a ticket and didn't go see jawbreaker last night you are a not so good person.

Anyone sitting in ohare wanna play a round of drink the beer?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Heading home now. My flight is delayed 3 hours and I'm alone in an airport on my birthday. I'll upload my pictures and video when I get home.

FYI: if you had a ticket and didn't go see jawbreaker last night you are a not so good person.

Anyone sitting in ohare wanna play a round of drink the beer?
    i didn't go yesterday after going friday & saturday, so i didn't see jawbreaker. BUT i gave my wristband to my friend alex (so he could get free water) and gave my paper ticket to (his girlfriend) my friend tiff so she could see jawbreaker after having to work all weekend, so i feel pretty good about my decision, because it made both of them SO HAPPY.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    gave my paper ticket to (his girlfriend) my friend tiff so she could see jawbreaker after having to work all weekend, so i feel pretty good about my decision, because it made both of them SO HAPPY.
    I feel like this more than makes up for Tiff giving us a ride home.

Also @Swykk I saw you post about being there and tried to keep an eye out for someone in what you described but being at the rail I couldn't spot you. Hope we get to meet up at another show someday!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Forgot to show you the best nin merch I spotted.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @kargath i cracked up when i saw that, too. the best part is it's that same awful image that says "tension tour 2014" when it's clearly not the right lineup.

they also had a black denim jacket with the NIN & soundgarden logos (along with a russell mills piece) but i don't like soundgarden enough to have justified the purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought this set was great. Burning Bright (Field on Fire) was great live. Other highlights were The Great Destroyer, loved the long pause, and the encore with Somewhat Damaged and TDTWWA.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Day the World Went Away really was a wonderful shock. I don't think it's been on any setlist so far this year, and it was so good to see more stuff from The Fragile get such a boost in the set.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    All joking aside. I'm seriously bummed that I didn't spot the NIN merch booth and missed the Riot Fest shirt. If anyone gets a line on a Large or maybe an XL, please let me know. I did pick up a sweet ass GWAR poster at least.. and that GPK style Riot Fest 2017 poster is pretty awesome too.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    This was a great show. Figured I should post that I was their.