Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Prick "Animal" and NIN "Closer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Prick "Animal" and NIN "Closer"

I have always wondered why did Trent allow Kevin McMahon use the ending to "Closer" in "Animal". I had a theory that Trent had wrote "Animal" for TDS and decided not to use it, but let Kevin McMahon use it for the Prick project. The songs do kind of go together with the theme of sex and the use of the word animal. Does anyone on here have any insight into this?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    I have always wondered why did Trent allow Kevin McMahon use the ending to "Closer" in "Animal". I had a theory that Trent had wrote "Animal" for TDS and decided not to use it, but let Kevin McMahon use it for the Prick project. The songs do kind of go together with the theme of sex and the use of the word animal. Does anyone on here have any insight into this?
    I don't think that rolling sound is the TDS motif - and if it is, a sample doesn't imply who wrote the whole thing

Or Trent and Kevin were friends (during the Nights of Nothing tour, Kevin became, and remains, the only NIN touring member to play their own songs in a NIN set) and Trent was cool with it

No way in hell would Malm let Trent sign off on not getting the publishing rights for a song too.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I feel like animal (if I remember properly) was a Lucky Pierre song before. in another form...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I don't hear it; what part is the same?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I don't hear it; what part is the same?
    The end of Closer and the beginning of Animal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting theory and I know what sound you're referring to, but I think anyone familiar with Kevin's work would agree "Animal" sounds enough like his own writing (especially with the multiple meanings and depth behind the lyrics). Plus, I believe Warne Livesey produced "Animal" and (I think) it was recorded in London... There's a great 20th anniversary article about "Prick" on the main page here: http://luckyprick.net/

So... has anyone heard a single peep out of Kevin recently? I was hoping with the new "Prick" vinyl reissue he'd emerge from the shadows (even if it's just to tell us to leave him alone!).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motionlessZombie View Post
    I hear what you're saying, they are similar. But they're not the same. As discussed recently in another thread, the Closer ending is just Roxy Music's "Take A Chance With Me" intro reversed and sped up. Here's a comparison:
    https://soundcloud.com/pyract/animal...arison/s-R42vp