Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Oasis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Oasis

    I didn't really appreciate Oasis when they were still together. But since I saw Liam at the Manchester concert, I've been listening to a lot of their songs. It's not just mellow pop music. They have a lot of harder stuff too with epic guitar solos. My favorite tracks are Live Forever, Some Might Say, Stand By Me, Don't Go Away, Don't Look Back in Anger, and All Around the World. Their videos are very creative and innovative. They were ahead of their time. One of my friends said the first time he heard Oasis he thought it was John Lennon. They voices are kinda similar.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    One of the reasons I relate to Liam and Noel is because I grew up in similar circumstances.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This one gets me every time. I don't know why it never got as much airplay as Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova. It's just brilliant.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    824
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Don't Believe the Truth is very underrated

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,430
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    I think I'm one of the VERY FEW that enjoyed Dig Out Your Soul. I love the artwork on that album too. I'm more of a casual listener of the band but that's the only CD by them I own a copy of haha.

    I'm more of a Blur guy for the brit pop wars and a Radiohead enthusiast for song arrangements but I appreciate Oasis.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 09-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Liked first two albums the most. Some of theirnlafer-day albums are underrated. The brothers are irritating and try way too hard and come off as well, dorks, imho.
    Last edited by RhettButler; 09-09-2017 at 10:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True story: I bought What's the Story from the local movie store for $0.50 because they were liquidating. Best 50 cents I've ever spent.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Just want to stop in and say that Oasis is one of my favorite bands of all time, and the never-ending shit show between the Gallagher brothers is also one of my favorite things.

    It is undeniable that Noel endlessly rips off classic songs from the past, and Oasis catch hell for it, but honestly James Murphy does the exact same thing with the same results. Noel is one fucking HELL of a song-writer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Just want to stop in and say that Oasis is one of my favorite bands of all time, and the never-ending shit show between the Gallagher brothers is also one of my favorite things.

    It is undeniable that Noel endlessly rips off classic songs from the past, and Oasis catch hell for it, but honestly James Murphy does the exact same thing with the same results. Noel is one fucking HELL of a song-writer.
    Which brother wins for their post-Oasis work? I listened to the Beady Eye album once and enjoyed it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Which brother wins for their post-Oasis work? I listened to the Beady Eye album once and enjoyed it.
    IMO Liam sucks and Noel is much better.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    IMO Liam sucks and Noel is much better.
    I've had Noel's first solo project, from 2011 on my shelf, still in the pastic wrap. Listening to it now. It's not bad.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This was funny >>> Looking Back in Anger: 101 Things Noel Gallagher has been Mad At

    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...ad-at-20150317

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Which brother wins for their post-Oasis work? I listened to the Beady Eye album once and enjoyed it.
    Noel by a long shot. High Flying Birds' two albums were both pretty damn enjoyable. The second album from them even had a couple of tracks that sounded like they'd have been Oasis tracks if Lliam had sang on them. But Lliam's voice sounds like shit now, and as a solo artist it's painfully obvious that Noel is the better of the two.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Noel by a long shot. High Flying Birds' two albums were both pretty damn enjoyable. The second album from them even had a couple of tracks that sounded like they'd have been Oasis tracks if Lliam had sang on them. But Lliam's voice sounds like shit now, and as a solo artist it's painfully obvious that Noel is the better of the two.
    I like the High Flying Birds better than Beady Eye. I prefer Noel's voice over Liam's.
    It reminds me of when my friends and I used to compare Tom Delonge to Mark Hoppus.
    Last edited by Boots; 09-10-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I think I'm one of the VERY FEW that enjoyed Dig Out Your Soul. I love the artwork on that album too. I'm more of a casual listener of the band but that's the only CD by them I own a copy of haha.

    I'm more of a Blur guy for the brit pop wars and a Radiohead enthusiast for song arrangements but I appreciate Oasis.
    AMG gave it a 4.5/5.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/dig-ou...l-mw0000792986

    @Boots, thanks for starting this thread. I've been going over their catalog and have been on a bit of an Oasis kick. I'm not a huge Brit-pop/rock guy, but they were an awesome band. First two albums have held up really well.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    4,376
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    I agree that both "Dig out your Soul" and "Don't believe the truth" are very underrated albums.

    Funny, last time i saw them live they played before NIN at a festival...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This might be better suited for the Controversial Music Opinions thread, but I feel very strongly about the following. If you swapped out "Little James" and "Sunday Morning Call" for "Let's All Make Believe" and "Full On", then Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants immediately becomes the best Oasis record. Considering that the latter tracks were recorded during the same sessions, this very well could have been a reality had Noel found a better editor.

    PS- Little James was the first song Liam ever wrote for Oasis. So as shitty as it is, there was no way it wasn't making the final track list.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,960
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    This might be better suited for the Controversial Music Opinions thread, but I feel very strongly about the following. If you swapped out "Little James" and "Sunday Morning Call" for "Let's All Make Believe" and "Full On", then Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants immediately becomes the best Oasis record. Considering that the latter tracks were recorded during the same sessions, this very well could have been a reality had Noel found a better editor.

    PS- Little James was the first song Liam ever wrote for Oasis. So as shitty as it is, there was no way it wasn't making the final track list.
    Interesting take. I like it. I actually really enjoy Little James, but Sunday Morning Call is very forgettable. I'm gonna have to try this out.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Question for fans across the Pond--how big is Oasis in the U.K.?

    My sense is, State-side, their isn't a whole lot of fandom, but in the U.K. they are like the Beatles.

    Thoughts?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't live in the UK. I was born after the Beatles broke up. Oasis are my Beatles. People have been comparing Noel and Liam's solo projects to John and Paul's post-Beatles work. Liam has a son named Lennon. The Beatles were an enormous influence on him. Oasis used to fill up huge stadiums, especially in their hometown. They were like the 90s version of Coldplay. This is for people like me who never saw them live and probably never will:

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If I can convince my art college to rehire an instructor they fired...then maybe I can go on FB and convince Oasis to get back together.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smyrna, GA
    Posts
    5,481
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Question for fans across the Pond--how big is Oasis in the U.K.?

    My sense is, State-side, their isn't a whole lot of fandom, but in the U.K. they are like the Beatles.

    Thoughts?
    I don't exactly remember but they were being played in the top 40 and modern rock charts. Especially in the latter a lot as they were also on MTV a lot during the mid-90s during the days of Morning Glory. I remember a SNL sketch with Mike Myers as the host where Parliament was arguing while all agreeing that the best band in the world was Oasis. I don't think they were as big as Bush at that time as there was so much at the time that was big like 2Pac, Biggie, Mariah, Boyz II Men, Hootie, Dave Matthews, and Garth Brooks.

Posting Permissions