Thread: Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

seeing that cassette tapes are making a slow come back with more and more newer music coming out on tape, and older material getting re-pressed to tape i thought that cassette collectors should have their own thread.

for a few years and until very recently it was by far the cheapest way to buy a new album; you could either spend 9-12.99 on iTunes, or spend 5-9.99 and get a cassette w/ a download code so it seemed like a no brainer. if new album preorders are any indication it definately doesn't look like the cassettes are going away any time soon!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    hell yeah! I got back to collectiong tapes just recently and frankly for me its the most rewarding yet rather cheap way of buying some merch or memorabilia. The most expensive one was 9 dollars recently and it came with a download code for the album as well and in a neat packaging.

I'll post some pictures once I'm home. Since I was heavily seeing shows from post-punk, post-rock etc I gathered some sweet tapes that are already out of print.

Is there a place where they list new releases? I can't seem to get an overview of what's coming out or not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I find that places like Mount Analog (USA) or Boomkat (UK) are great for finding new music on cassettes. Ive also had a lot of luck through Bandcamp - I just ordered a LE screen printed version of the new LCD album on cassette for $12 I think. Prices are sadly going up for new albums (13$ for the new Beck album) even compared to 2 years ago. Meanwhile SubPop has been re-pressing a lot of their past catalog to cassette for 6-8$

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Oh sweet,thanks for the SubPop tip! Soundgarden and Nirvana? Nice! Just bought all three of Faster John Misty... Sadly rather regular editions and no extended artwork or some nice cardboard etc.

Guess I need to check discogs or keep a keen eye on things.

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    I got a re-release of the Ghost demo cassette tape. That's it.

This is a format I have absolutely zero interest in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    This is a format I have absolutely zero interest in.
    this thread is for fans - i have Zero interest in this type of post - stick to the vinyl thread

Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    this thread is for fans - i have Zero interest in this type of post - stick to the vinyl thread
    I contributed to the thread. I stayed on topic stating what I had but threw in my two cents. I had no reason to go back to the thread here until you quoted me.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Do I get to play? Haha. Got some Beatles and Pink Floyd 8-tracks also.

And yeah, a bunch of NIN cassettes + Closure (thanks @jessamineny for all of these!)
    Last edited by botley; 09-06-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just bought the limited cassette version of the Rez Infinite - Area X soundtrack. It joins the vinyl soundtrack for Rez Infinite. I may never listen to either of them but they're cool to have.

Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    my last band put out our second album on nickelodeon orange cassette

most of the tapes i have are NIN or releases by Sige records (mamiffer, mostly). i have an affinity for tapes because i made SO MANY mixtapes as a kid/teenager. i need to replace the band for the motor in my yamaha deck because it's been running slow (scared me to death when i tried to play my band's album and thought they had dubbed the tapes improperly).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Newest addition to the collection and I could not be happier!

Glacial Dancehall!