Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Richard Patrick + Politics (Split from NIN Spotting)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Richard Patrick + Politics (Split from NIN Spotting)

[Mod note: shit split]

Patrick is an interesting dude. His entire fb page is deranged political anti trump tirades and pictures of kathy griffin holding trumps head and memes with trump killing himself and wishing trump commits suicide (2 weeks after he did a million posts crying about the linkin park dudes suicide and how suicide isnt a joke) and 90% of the people who post on Filters fb page are telling him to go fuck himself, and all these people who claim to be Filter fans are claiming they arent listening to him anymore because of his political stuff...Add to that every time he posts up political stuff, a tour or concert gets cancelled. the guy is basically sabotaging whats left of his career because of his radical alt-left beliefs...this is why its dicey for musicians to do politics and why I am glad Trent is mostly staying clear. He does an interview saying Trump is a fuckhead, which everyone knows. Thats fine but Richard is like deranged about it. He makes the alt right seem mellow and reasonable. The guy clearly has a few screws loose and its fascinating to see it play out on fb. He also should stop doin interviews about NIN since hes been out of the band and a memory for 26 years
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-03-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    "alt-left"

Lol.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    "alt-left"

Lol.
    alt-left as in the dude is promoting violence and encouraging suicide and cursing out anyone who disagrees with him. Even his musician associates are distancing themselves from him...Jourgensen is as left as it gets and he kicked Patrick off the Ministry/Filter tour..Another concert promoter was all over his fb page saying they are not going to book Filter because of his politics..check out his fb page. its like DeNiro in Taxi Driver before he flipped out....My best friend is a hardcore Filter fan and a big time liberal/democrat and he thinks Patrick is insane....Its deNiro in Taxi Driver.
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-04-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Richard claimed his brother Robert (T1000) is conservative. I would love to be at the Patrick family Thanksgiving...My issue with Richie, is its cool to hate Trump..but he takes it to a level where I wouldnt be surprised if he turned into John Malkovich from In The Line of Fire...its bordering on obsessive and if he wasnt a celebrity, the FBI would probably have him under surveillance with the stuff he posts....something is unhinged...plus when he has people commenting him telling him they are longtime Filter fans for 20 plus years and he is telling them to drop dead and go fuck themselves because they have different political views...its pretty pathetic...Hes like the Ted Nugent of the left....which would be a great reality show

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    One reason so many of us respond so facepalmingly at the term "alt-left" is that it's a bullshit term coined by the alt-right in order to further their also-bullshit narrative of "both sides are equally bad." They're inventing a dialogue where one just doesn't exist. There is no "alt-left" movement to match what's going on in Trump's america, even if you include folks like, apparently, Richard Patrick. I've personally not seen any of that guy's posts, nor could I care less about him in the first place, so I can't comment on that, and I'm guessing most folks here don't care if you slag him off either. It's just frustrating to see terms like "alt-left" and "antifa" crop up as some hypothetical boogeyman to fuel the right's false narrative of persecution and victimization.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Considering how many new terms for different groups of folks I’ve had to learn in the last year or two, why not throw alt-left in the ring? If an alt-right is a right-wing extremist, then what’s the difference with a left-wing extremist being called alt-left? Both are intolerant of others opinions and impossible to reason with.

The cool thing in the entertainment biz is to be the biggest Trump hater. Kathy Griffin was the first to “win” that prize and Richard is still trying to remain relevant with his peers. For Richard, it’s easier to jump on the bandwagon than it is to write a great record…since he only has 1.5 great records and those are Short Bus and half of the second album.

Fact is, Trump won the election and artists/actors are starting to realize that you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face if you’re going to tell your fan base outside of the liberal bubbles of California and NY that they’re wrong and stupid for having a different opinion than yours. Sure, it’s a free country and you can have any opinion you want, but actions have consequences and the other person with their own opinion is allowed to take their money elsewhere. I don’t think it’s going to go over well when Filter plays their next tour of state fairs and county festivals across the Midwest. Haha!
    Last edited by ultimatebdp; 09-05-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm just going to say what I've said before about this particular topic: if you don't like what he says, don't follow him on social media. Nobody is forcing you to read his posts. I have no sympathy for people who have control over these things.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    Considering how many new terms for different groups of folks I’ve had to learn in the last year or two, why not throw alt-left in the ring? If an alt-right is a right-wing extremist, then what’s the difference with a left-wing extremist being called alt-left? Both are intolerant of others opinions and impossible to reason with.

The cool thing in the entertainment biz is to be the biggest Trump hater. Kathy Griffin was the first to “win” that prize and Richard is still trying to remain relevant with his peers. For Richard, it’s easier to jump on the bandwagon than it is to write a great record…since he only has 1.5 great records and those are Short Bus and half of the second album.

Fact is, Trump won the election and artists/actors are starting to realize that you’re cutting off your nose to spite your face if you’re going to tell your fan base outside of the liberal bubbles of California and NY that they’re wrong and stupid for having a different opinion than yours. Sure, it’s a free country and you can have any opinion you want, but actions have consequences and the other person with their own opinion is allowed to take their money elsewhere. I don’t think it’s going to go over well when Filter plays their next tour of state fairs and county festivals across the Midwest. Haha!
    wel it doesn't work because of scale comparing the extreme left to the alt right is like comparing green peace to isis and saying, "well they're both terrorists."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    as much as i don't think patrick is accomplishing anything the way he goes about it is nice to see celebrities actually be willing to lose money and face over things they care about. Usually they just turn belly up and apologize tail between their legs trying save their precious marketability instead of actually standing firmly on anything. I mean i wouldn't want my money coming from people who voted for trump. I have to sleep at night and would to face judgement for my own sins alone.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    One reason so many of us respond so facepalmingly at the term "alt-left" is that it's a bullshit term coined by the alt-right in order to further their also-bullshit narrative of "both sides are equally bad." They're inventing a dialogue where one just doesn't exist. There is no "alt-left" movement to match what's going on in Trump's america, even if you include folks like, apparently, Richard Patrick. I've personally not seen any of that guy's posts, nor could I care less about him in the first place, so I can't comment on that, and I'm guessing most folks here don't care if you slag him off either. It's just frustrating to see terms like "alt-left" and "antifa" crop up as some hypothetical boogeyman to fuel the right's false narrative of persecution and victimization.
    This may not be the best place for this but oh well. I guess the right has done a pretty good job of inserting the "alt-left" dialog because I just assumed it was a thing. What do we consider the violent anti-fa? Don't facepalm me or think i'm being a dick, but wouldn't the violent minority of the anti-fa be considered alt left? Serious question.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This may not be the best place for this but oh well. I guess the right has done a pretty good job of inserting the "alt-left" dialog because I just assumed it was a thing. What do we consider the violent anti-fa? Don't facepalm me or think i'm being a dick, but wouldn't the violent minority of the anti-fa be considered alt left? Serious question.
    no, they're just dicks who are using what should be a platform to FIGHT FASCISM to enact unnecessary violence. and while i think that is entirely true, i also think that occasionally, violence is necessary. i've used this quote a lot, lately, because it rings very true - "in order for non-violence to work, your opponent must have a conscience."

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    no, they're just dicks who are using what should be a platform to FIGHT FASCISM to enact unnecessary violence. and while i think that is entirely true, i also think that occasionally, violence is necessary. i've used this quote a lot, lately, because it rings very true - "in order for non-violence to work, your opponent must have a conscience."
    That's fair, i'm a very very very very far left leaning person I just wasn't aware that the alt-left wasn't a thing. That's not me being sarcastic I just didn't know. The trump thing has me so burnt out on politics and people in general that I just kinda shut off my mind to the protesting and stuff going on. It's absolutely exhausting.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wish I could tell him "you're not helping"

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    My "lol" comment was not to say that some people on the left do not go too far with their statements - they most certainly do.

I am not familiar with Patrick's postings.

My "lol" was directed at the term "alt-left" as if that is a real thing. There are definitely people on the left who take shit beyond what is necessary, but to pretend like there is something on the liberal side of things that comes anywhere close to the literal white nationalists who make up the alt-right is simply not based in reality.
    Last edited by Sarah K; 09-05-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Soooooo....

Rob Sheridan left his NIN "job" to run Patrick's FB account, didn't he?

(that's a joke, it's ok to laugh once in awhile)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    This is pretty crazy though, I’ve never been a huge filter fan and I always knew he sort of always just leeched onto trent for fame as recently as putting a weird quote from trent on one of his newer records advertising stickers but the guy is a bit more of a loon than I once thought. It’s a shame too because filter is a pretty important band in the history of rock/alt rock.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    This isn't directed at anybody in particular, but...

I don't really go on unhinged rants on Facebook about it, but I still feel like anybody who isn't absolutely filled with genuine outrage and shame towards Americans, due to the fact that Donald Trump is President, is either a moron or they are just too uninformed to understand the ramifications of what that means. If you make fun of people for flipping the fuck out that Trump is POTUS, or you just don't really care, or if you feel any other way than completely disgusted deep in the pit of your stomach every day then honestly you are the crazy, illogical whackjob. Any other behavior or feelings towards this situation will only normalize it and this cannot be normalized. Anybody saying people are overreacting about Trump are just about as bad as die-hard Trump followers. I still feel just as nauseous every morning when I check the news as I did the evening of November 8th.

The fact that any American is mocked for BEING WILDLY UPSET THAT DONALD TRUMP IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES is truly horrifying. This is a repugnant situation and one of the lowest points of this country's history.

If anybody needs a concrete example of why this is so heinously fucked up, just go check the news from the past couple weeks and then try as hard as you can in your mind to picture Donald Trump attempting to navigate a nuclear crisis with DPRK - a problem with no solution, a resolution to which the world's greatest strategists cannot calculate that doesn't end in hundreds of thousands or millions dead at best or billions dead at worst in the event of an escalating, out of control chain reaction of nuclear launches. This is a problem that's coming to a boil so much quicker than anybody could have imagined and with more urgency than ever in the history of the DPRK. This situation is only a move or two by Kim Jong-un or Trump away from reaching Bay of Pigs level intensity and seriousness.

And Donald Trump is our President. If you can imagine that situation playing out positively in your head, then I would probably say you're completely delusional. This is a 71 year old man with the brain of a spoiled rich adolescent. He can only barely read English, he is legitimately incapable of speaking proper English or forming English sentences with more complexity than a 3rd grade reading level, he simply cannot grasp concepts or theories or thoughts or ideas any more complicated than maybe basic elementary school logic or math, he has no education, whether formal or through life experience, in politics, history, warfare, law, anthropology, philosophy, nothing. This alone should be a huge emergency. Having a President who's demonstrably and objectively a very stupid man is bad enough and immediately makes us a target to any rogue or enemy state who now sees the US as an easy target. Hell, it even makes our allies second guess us and cut us out of deals, this is cutting our international standing down to the lowest point since before WWII. So that would be seriously bad enough, having an honest to god moron in the White House, but there's so much more. Along with being offensively stupid, he also happens to think he's one of the smartest men to have ever lived. He's an egomaniac and narcissist of the absolutely highest level, I honestly feel safe saying he thought he's the most important human in the world before he was even elected President.

So now we have as the President a self-obsessed shit for brains who's hated by almost everybody and let's just add the emotional maturity of a toddler for good measure. Let's combine these ingredients: idiotic, egomaniac, spiteful, temper tantrum throwing, petty, machismo fueled God Emperor, aaaaaaaand Kim Jong-un and his impending international nuclear crisis. Boy, this sure seems like the type of guy who's mentally fit for the office of President of the United States. I imagine he'll just be able to breeze through everything thrown at him. He'll be solving problems with his eyes closed! Everything is okay! If you look at this picture and you think this shit is fucking crazy and horrifying then obviously you're just an emotional alt-left whiny crybaby. Nobody will take you seriously when you're being soooo overdramatic.

...so yeah. I don't really like Filter or care about Richard Patrick, but despising Trump in a furious, rabid manner should be the norm in America right now - not something to be mocked.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    He can be angry all he wants but when he tells longtime fans to go fuck themselves or drop dead because they disagree with him, he comes off like an asshole...there is a thing called a civil conversation where you can agree to disagree...It blows my mind seeing his fb rantings cursing out his longtime fans lol. I do notice he started to tone it down after the psychotic rantings from 2 weeks ago and after his Ministry tour got canned...Altho today I noticed a few more "america sucks you people are so stupid" type posts on his personal account lmao....I remember there was an old Manson interview where he was talking about how much he thought Patrick was an asshole when he met him around the Broken era....
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-06-2017 at 02:58 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Trent has a long and storied history of telling fans to go fuck themselves. Including you.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I get a bit fed up of people telling musicians\ celebrities that they should shut up and not mention politics. I follow Alessandro Cortinis instagram and he made quite an innocuous comment about trying to go to sleep for the next five years because of Trump and some guy goes off on him as if he's not allowed to say anything, he was told to fuck right off and rightly so. Of course I bet if you went on one of these twats Facebook pages and told them what they can say they'd throw a fit. Absolute hypocrisy

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Its Richie boys career...He has every right to tell his fans to go fuck themselves...hes just losing fans by the truckload by doing so...Its actually fascinating...Personally I dont give a shit about Filter or politics, so I just grab the popcorn and watch...His fb page is the most entertaining page on fb...the Filter page especially

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Its Richie boys career...He has every right to tell his fans to go fuck themselves...hes just losing fans by the truckload by doing so...Its actually fascinating...Personally I dont give a shit about Filter or politics, so I just grab the popcorn and watch...His fb page is the most entertaining page on fb...the Filter page especially
    IDK man, have you been on Jack Off Jills facebook page lately?

BOOOOYYYYYY

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Trent has a long and storied history of telling fans to go fuck themselves. Including you.
    DIVINE IRONY

Richie puts up a meme of Trump with a gun in his mouth and the caption "JUST DO IT" and people here (like you) are saying its ok and he has every right to do that...Yet I remember the great poster Bill Pulsipher put up a post last year about Kanyes suicide scare with the caption "just do it" and certain people (like you) screamed bloody murder and got Pulsipher banned....Interesting
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 09-06-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    DIVINE IRONY

Richie puts up a meme of Trump with a gun in his mouth and the caption "JUST DO IT" and people here (like you) are saying its ok and he has every right to do that...Yet I remember the great poster Bill Pulsipher put up a post last year about Kanyes suicide scare with the caption "just do it" and certain people (like you) screamed bloody murder and got Pulsipher banned....Interesting
    To be fair Kanye was never a legitimate threat to the world as a whole like the Trumpster. I'd also like Trump to kill himself too if possible but the pic was in bad taste in both instances.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Personally, you don't give a shit about politics but you've created a thread's worth of posts implying otherwise.

Your idea that Kanye being suicidal and joking on that was frowned upon here means all of us suddenly condone everything Richard says and does is...a pretty big leap with a huge side of false equivalency but you don't give a shit about politics, right?

For the record, I don't like Kanye or Richard but I fucking despise Trump, who as @tony.parente says, has done terrible damage to the country.
    Last edited by Swykk; 09-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    ...I remember the great poster Bill Pulsipher...
    If I remember correctly, our old sweetheart Bill was a very modest and humble being who would likely insist on no aggrandizing of the self. We should probably respect that in his absence.

Anyway, so a rockstar used his or her platform to say or do something shocking?!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    He probably talks about NIN because the interviewer brings it up.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Are people still pretending that they don't know that is Bill's new account? Haha.

Anyway, I stated that people in the left most certainly do go too far, and then I said that I was unfamiliar with the posts in question. If what you are describing is accurate, I would not condone that in any way. My issue was with the made up term "alt-left". It isn't a real thing.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    To be fair Kanye was never a legitimate threat to the world as a whole like the Trumpster. I'd also like Trump to kill himself too if possible but the pic was in bad taste in both instances.
    Kanye is a threat to the rap world. I cant take another "niggas in paris"...we need more Ice Cube and old school 1990s west coast rap to make a comeback...

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Are people still pretending that they don't know that is Bill's new account? Haha.
    I was thinking the same thing.