Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fight Off Your Demons (Brand New)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Fight Off Your Demons (Brand New)

My favorite band of all time dropped their new record Science Fiction today. Go buy it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Going for Brooklyn & Boston tix tomorrow at noon. Hope I can get pairs that don't completely suck. Just grabbed the new record and will be listening shortly.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I instantly loved this on first listen. The grungy shit is grungier, the sad shit is sadder, and the loud shit is louder. Definitely worth the 8 year wait.

Also, I love that fucking album cover.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Halfway through my first listen of Science Fiction. If this indeed turns out to be their last record, I will be way beyond satisfied. Will be waiting intently for another chance to grab that vinyl

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Listening to it now. Much better than Daisy. Pretty tempted to get a Dublin ticket, but I'm broke because of shows already .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is insanely good, I am very happy with this. After "I Am A Nightmare" and the other recent stuff that they've released I thought they might have lost a step. I'm happy AF that I was wrong. This is right there with Devil and God IMO. I do like some songs on Daisy, and I think the atmosphere of that entire album is incredible.

Also, go see this band live...they are fucking awesome. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Went to look for Dublin tickets - turns out they went on sale earlier and standing is sold out already and there's only lame seats left. I'll try and get a ticket closer to the gig if I can go.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my friend listened to it and reported back to me in a way that convinced me to buy the album. i love the devil & god (other than handcuffs, which i think is a terrible way to end an otherwise flawless album), and i think daisy is a fucking masterpiece (sue me), so i was REALLY disappointed in "i am a nightmare" (as i don't like any of their stuff before devil & god) and i was worried that whatever album they ended up putting out would not be my cup of tea. seems like that's not the case from what everyone is saying. debating whether to listen to the digital or wait until i have the vinyl in my hands...

and @Prettybrokenspiral that is fucking INSANE. i think that's the quickest and most drastic price increase i've ever seen/heard of on a new release. i hope the band messages the seller and tells them to get fucked.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I've always enjoyed Brand New, but I never really called myself a fan because I wasn't super into like everyone else is. But this album is fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe I reported the listing to Discogs (like a dick, but not really) and now it's gone. I don't feel bad about it because internet flippers are the scourge of the earth to me

So happy this album just dropped out of nowhere, after an 8-year drought. Years back, I tracked down all their b-sides and rarities and compiled it into a playlist/album, which was a placeholder from Daisy until now.

Really hoping the rumors of their demise after this record are 100% false..

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    @eversonpoe I reported the listing to Discogs (like a dick, but not really) and now it's gone. I don't feel bad about it because internet flippers are the scourge of the earth to me

So happy this album just dropped out of nowhere, after an 8-year drought. Years back, I tracked down all their b-sides and rarities and compiled it into a playlist/album, which was a placeholder from Daisy until now.

Really hoping the rumors of their demise after this record are 100% false..
    They'll just go to eBay with it.

I skimmed the record for fun. A girl I'm friends with loves this band and always crams it down my throat indirectly. Surprised to see what people thought of it here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting Twin Peaks vibes from the first track?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh, sweet! Just ordered a digital download. I'm now refreshing my inbox every 5 seconds.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This album is outstanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album is just what we have been waiting for! A good mix of devil and god and a touch of daisy! I have 0 complaints...except I didn't get that special CD that they gave to the first 500 orders :-(

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well this was a surprise. A great one! Wonderful album that I need to digest more. Just found out about this whole deal yesterday.

I know it is cool to hate on Daisy, but I like Daisy quite a bit. It's not the Devil and God, but what is? Well this new one is close. Really strong album. Definitely worth the wait. If they go out like this, that's a good way to go out. Has a good blend of their sounds and tricks. The lyrics seem strong (need more absorption on my end). Hope I can catch a show soon!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ALERT

Deja Entendu is BY FAR my favourite album by them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

GET OUT!

just kidding, i love you . but i can't get into anything before "the devil & god..." it all just literally does nothing for me, emotionally.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post

Daisy is my favorite. I also do not like YFW. Some brand new fans freak out when I say that one.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I think Devil & God is my favorite, Did a lot personally for me in college. Then Daisy, its just so raw, and true. After that, Deja, your favorite weapon.

I think Jesus might be in my all time top 10 favorite songs list.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Plenty of good songs on Daisy. They work well live alongside their other material. Listening to the whole record straight through usually isn't preferred for me though.

Your Favorite Weapon is REALLY important to me as I got into this band as they were forming. I was a bit of a scene kid I guess around here at the time, and saw bands like Brand New, GJ, Thursday, MCR as local bands before anything else. I saw Brand New at a fucking firehouse for $12.Their growth after that era was crazy and all material after that is obviously way better from an artistic standpoint. But Your Favorite Weapon is still so much fun:

See? FUN!

and here you see the small beginnings of what would come later:

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It's so hard for me to get into Daisy, it never really made as much as an impact for me like the first 3 records. For me it goes

1. Devil and god
    2. Deja
    3. Science Fiction
    4. Your favorite weapon
    5. Daisy

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Brandthony Newtano reviewed the new record.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    don't remember if i've ever posted this here, but my favorite song on daisy (and probably my second-favorite brand new song, trailing "degausser" in first place) is "bought a bride" and i once made a really weird video set to it.

edit: it's really weird to see my arms with so few tattoos on them

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    don't remember if i've ever posted this here, but my favorite song on daisy (and probably my second-favorite brand new song, trailing "degausser" in first place) is "bought a bride" and i once made a really weird video set to it.

edit: it's really weird to see my arms with so few tattoos on them
    Degausser is my favorite too ❤️

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    First listen through and its good shit.

Add me to the list of Degausser fans too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Deja Entendu + Your Favorite Weapon were my middle / high school soundtrack (along with a healthy dose of NIN & Radiohead) so they hold a nostalgic place for me. But nothing tops Devil & God in my eyes. It's a little early for a list, but I would place this above Daisy + YFW for sure.

I also want to reiterate something I've seen here on ETS... I would kill for a Brand New / NIN tour

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    "Batter Up" sounds so defeated to depression it is hard to handle, the way the vocals say "It's never going to stop" is heart-breaking. Wonderful record.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It’s over. Jesse has been meeting with, manipulating and grooming underaged girls for well over a decade. I am horrified, heartbroken and absolutely gutted. This band has shaped who I am today more than any band ever could.

https://www.avclub.com/brand-news-je...sco-1820378067

I’m so gutted. Beyond upset. I’m so mad.

Brand New meant so much to so many people. Jesse has hurt and destroyed so many people due to his fucking irresponsible, selfish actions. People have his words tattooed on their bodies for the rest of their lives.

Fuck Jesse for destroying the lives of the people he hurt. Fuck him for ruining this band and fuck him for tarnishing such an important part of my adolescence and young adulthood forever.

They were supposed to be special

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Me vs Maradona vs Elvis looks really, really bad now:

With one or two I get used to the room
    We go slow when we first make our moves
    By five or six, bring you out to the car
    Number nine with my head on the bar
    And it's sad but true, out of cash and IOUs

I got desperate desires and unadmirable plans
    My tongue will taste of gin and malicious intent
    Bring you back to the bar get you out of the cold