Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Jangle pop/paisley underground

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Jangle pop/paisley underground

another incredibly specific genre thread here (see italo/synthpop, power pop, shoegaze/dreampop, and the coldwave/post-punk thread that i'll make one night when i'm overtired/drunk and will probably be the only one posting in there, but i digress).

jangle pop takes a lot of influences from the 60s--- byrds, beach boys, big star, the hollies, etc. and a little bit of psychedelic garage/nico and television kind of thing and generally updated these great influences in a post-punk world. also dubbed paisley underground partially due to the excellent shirts (pretty much a cornerstone of my wardrobe today).

anyway, a few favorite tracks:

(the guitarist left the wild flowers after their AMAZING debut LP and formed the mighty lemon drops)

this kind of stuff was also highly influential on shoegaze--- with bands like opal & house of love walking a fine line between jangle pop and what would be known as shoegaze. opal (also featuring dave robek of rain parade) would become mazzy star with the departure of kendra smith.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    oops forgot a few:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With bullshit threads like Manson reaching the post counts they do, its threads like this that keep me around. I don't know too many jangle pop bands, so thanks for posting! Does anyone know if there's going to be a new Mazzy Star record? They released that single last year...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's a perfect song from a rarely-discussed band:

A song by the Field Mice named after my unliveable homeland:

And another Sarah Records group. Is "All Of a Tremble" not the twee-est title ever?

One more: The Sun, a Small Star by The Servants, Luke Haines's first public venture.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Church! One of the best, most diverse bands there is. Best band out this country for sure.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    thank god someone else knows 'as you will.' my favorite church track, and a b-side at that!

also, speaking of sarah records, these guys went from being really dark post-punk on factory to more indie/twee/jangle territory. both phases were great.

also, no youtube clips available, but the magick heads' 'before we go under' is incredible. shares some members with the bats, equally great.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-15-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "As You Will" is probably my favourite Church track too (hard call, everything from the Seance-Remote Luxury-Heyday era is perfect and their discography as a whole is incredibly strong).

Dig The Wake too. Bobby Gillespie was involved with them in their early days, before moving on to JAMC briefly and eventually starting Primal Scream.

Speaking of, the Scream's first album was pretty jangly, but I've never really been overly fond of it. Might have to give it another try sometime.

And JAMC also gave the jangle pop sound a try in their early days-

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    summer is here. overdosing on this stuff.

Last edited by frankie teardrop; 06-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-15-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    just came across this and enjoying it very much:

also overdosing on the flying nun catalog lately... the bats were amazing and well worth hearing if you're into this kind of stuff. what a great label.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Hits the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post

also overdosing on the flying nun catalog lately... the bats were amazing and well worth hearing if you're into this kind of stuff. what a great label.
    Flying Nun is a treasure trove. Classic indie/jangle pop, space rock, noise rock... So much good stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    if you were young and in the UK in the mid 80s this type of music would have been in your life in at least some way, i love loads of it, C86 is one of my favourite records ever.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Divine!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post

Divine!

and i'm sure you know, but for against related! i got a sealed copy of this ages ago, bought it without knowing what it was, based on the cover alone. very very good!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

i wish i knew primal scream sounded like this originally. i've never really cared for the electroclash stuff nor the acid-house record, even though i see what's to like about those records. however, this album is right up my alley...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    bumping this thread since i've been overdosing on this stuff (and shoegaze) almost exclusively for the past few weeks. here's a french jangle band, featuring folks that would go on to form stereloab: