Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Dunkirk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Dunkirk

Just saw this film. Loved it. Beautiful and incredibly tense.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I definitely want to see this but I'm short on cash at the moment as I'll wait in a few weeks. Plus, it's very unlikely I'll see it in 70mm though I'm glad I did see a film in 70mm in The Hateful Eight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm going against the grain here. DUNKIRK was nothing but a series of intense scenes, nothing more. There is no setup. No characters. No reason to care about anything that's going on. I need more than "they're not nazis" to go off of. Even the series of intense scenes are jumbled and not shown linearly for no real reason. It literally feels like a fan edit of a better movie where they took out all the boring character stuff to showcase the action scenes. The film is around 107 minutes, and it desperately needs another 40 min to an hour to flesh everything out. It would really fix the entire thing.
    A complete missed opportunity.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    I'm going against the grain here. DUNKIRK was nothing but a series of intense scenes, nothing more. There is no setup. No characters. No reason to care about anything that's going on. I need more than "they're not nazis" to go off of. Even the series of intense scenes are jumbled and not shown linearly for no real reason. It literally feels like a fan edit of a better movie where they took out all the boring character stuff to showcase the action scenes. The film is around 107 minutes, and it desperately needs another 40 min to an hour to flesh everything out. It would really fix the entire thing.
    A complete missed opportunity.
    I completely understand this sentiment. I walked out thinking that a lot of people will hate this film. Going into a Nolan film, you don't expect this. It's certainly an acquired taste.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I completely understand this sentiment. I walked out thinking that a lot of people will hate this film. Going into a Nolan film, you don't expect this. It's certainly an acquired taste.
    I really wanted to like this. Despite the hate it got, Interstellar is one of my favorite films of the decade and my favorite Nolan film. I'm also an easy mark for WWII films. I just don't see what everyone sees in this. Glad people are liking this, though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The first 10 minutes of this movie had me holding on to the seat for dear life.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    90% according to local reviewer, if you're willing to check google translate from Czech:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really curious how this will compare to the older Dunkirk movies. I might give it a go on Thursday. As I am a big aerial warfare nerd I can't wait to see how Tom Hardy portraits a pilot and of course if "the enemy" is portraited any other way than a faceless foe.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I will definitely catch it in theaters, although purely because Nolan is involved...

I love WW2 movies, I love Nolan films, yet the trailers left me cold and uninterested. I don't know if it's a marketing fuck up (the studio doesn't know how to sell the movie) or the tone of Dunkirk just doesn't resonate with me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Gonna see this puppy in the IMAX. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    true IMAX at Lincoln Center at 1pm Sunday for me. Cannot wait. Visual overload.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I watched Dunkirk last night and this movie sticks with you. Visually, it's absolutely stunning, and the cinematography alone is worth the price of admission. But the soundtrack--my god, the fucking soundtrack!--is one of the best I've ever heard. It's anxiety inducing, complimenting every scene, and matches beat for beat the dread permeating the film. The sound editing (I don't know if this is the technical term) of the dive bombers and explosions and the overall soundtrack to war drenches this movie in a very human fear that every young man on that beach must have felt trying to get home. I jumped out of my seat every time bullets erupted from somewhere, and that's another genius part of this film; it doesn't show the enemy. We only hear and see their planes, their bombs, and the bullets that try and mow the soldiers down. And because we don't see a single German soldier it only adds to the fright that this movie accomplishes effortlessly, providing us with a constant sense that death and the enemy could strike at any second, but no one knows from where and when.

But despite the praise I've just heaped on Dunkirk there are a few things that I feel do not elevate it to the level of praise it's received from critics and from other people who've also seen the film. First, there's no exposition. This movie opens in the middle of an ongoing crises and does not let up. We are introduced to all three story lines within the first ten minutes--and the characters that ultimately drive those stories forward--but I feel like we never have the opportunity to know them. They're not developed. Their purpose is established from the get go and we are left to witness their separate journeys that ultimately converge, and their journeys are compelling, but I wish there had been more time to get to know them prior to thrusting them into the middle of war. I understand that this was intentional on Nolan's part. The focus is not on any one character but how each plays a role within the overall scheme of things, but I thought there was an emotional disconnect that left the main characters one dimensional and made it difficult to care about them. And while I was on board for most of the movie I thought the last few scenes were anti-climactic. What was supposed to be inspirational and uplifting felt lackluster.

Overall, I'd say this is a movie worth checking out. From a technical stand point it's masterful film making, but there's a human element that's void from the entire movie which leaves a hollow resonance after Dunkirk ends.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Very pleasantly surprised. All the boring backstory is gone and we are spared some cheese "love is the answer" speech or on the nose exposition. The only thing left is a movie not about any particular person but about the horror of war and about this single event. It really surprises me that people feel they are missing character exposition where characters sit around a fire talking a bout their girl back home. Fresh.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I saw it on Saturday (really wasn't in the mood but i forced myself to see it) and i was really impressed.

I can see why some people will dislike it, how it shows the 3 stories can be easily missed by those not paying attention, but i was roped in from the get go.
    The sound and visuals really made me feel anxious and tense, almost all the way through, honestly the score was just awesome! And i liked the stories being told and how they were told, it grabbed me and made me listen/by attention to what was happening the whole way through.

I'd recommend this film, especially if your a fan of Nolan's previous work. But there is a chance you might not like it, it's not a perfect "everybody" movie, but i enjoyed the hell out of it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I echo the positives above and overall I really enjoyed the movie. Nolan's cinematic eye is unmatched, the full IMAX experience was a spectacle, and the FEAR of those poor soldiers was palpable throughout. Also was nice to have a WWII movie that has nothing to do with the USA, and dealing with an aspect of the war I wasn't aware of, and one that isn't very glamorous.

All that being said, it was more of the same fatiguing Nolan/Zimmer style. I thought perhaps b/c it was decidely shorter than his typical movies, and about a historical event, that he might approach this a bit softer. Nope. The movie pummels you for 167 minutes with the same edge of seat, breakneck pace. It only lets up once 2/3 of the way through and that's for literally about a minute. Otherwise it's goal is to give you anxiety and destroy your ears. Zimmer's score never letting up almost felt like a parody at times. Part. when they couldn't bare to not have SOMETHING playing in the background, so they had a ticking clock. WE GET IT.

In addition, good luck understanding what anyone is saying unless you're British or have subtitles going. The score buries much of the dialogue as per Nolan's M.O. in parts of everything he's made since The Dark Knight. Add in the thick accents and quiet manner of speaking and you're left lost. I thought Nolan was trolling us by having Hardy talk into his flight mask. Completely unintelligble! I felt like he was thinking "oh, you couldn't understand him in Dark Knight Rises??? WELL JUST WAIT!" Yes I understand it was paryly done b/c it doesn't matter exactly what they were saying b/c we could gleam it from the actions alone most of the time, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I want to know what the actors are saying!

See the movie. It's unlike anything else out. Nolan is a true artist and this is a very entertaining movie, especially in true IMAX. I just wish he would water down the bludgeoning a bit.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Good to see Nolan finally executing Nolan time without the disturbing neocon undertones and here he does it most successfully, although not entirely disproving it as a gimmick. In fact I'm fairly certain Dunkirk still works without the week/day/hour premise.

In Dunkirk Nolan finally achieves some relatable characters, especially on the family boat. By contrast the pilots in this movie are more or less blank slate, albeit with quite a bit of agency, the other side of the coin being our man on the beach, who achieves some character moments, but never makes an impact.

Worth noting that this movie, like the rest of Nolan cannon, lacks any meaningful female characters and is markedly sexless, I'm sure many will try to justify this through it's period setting, as they have with other movies, but those are shallow excuses. Nolan is sort of the passive contrast to Michael Bays overt and active hatred for women: Nolan just doesn't want to be bothered with them.

The movie looks phenomenal, and was a very intense experience. As far as the direction itself goes everything was on point, and much could be said about the sound design. I would say it's one of his best pretty easily

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Good GOD! Hans Zimmer must be hanging out with TR as of lately. This soundtrack and sound design gave me a full blown panic attack during the viewing. It is so relenting and NEVER lets up until the end.

I disagree with the "needs more character development". It doesn't need it. How many of you remember any of the character's names? I don't. Each character represented a division in the film. The father and sons represented the Britains, Tom Hardy represented the pilots as a whole and the two soldiers (one being a complete unknown actor) represented all of the soldiers that were just young British men.

This film was about the event itself. I am NOT a big Nolan fan and was expecting TDKR and it felt like more of an art piece. Love the lack ion dialogue. Again, not needed.

As far as the way the story was told/edited, I think it was a great choice. It, combined with the score, kept you on edge. The audience was already tensed up by the first 20 minutes by the visuals and the sound and the editing made sure that you never...got...comfortable. It was great. '

This film is like the visual version of The Background World lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Anyone who's seen it in true IMAX 70mm, how was your experience?

Debating driving to St Louis to see it next weekend. The only movie that I've seen in true IMAX 70mm was TDKR and it was incredible. So I know Dunkirk was also probably incredible and will be worth it. But still, how was your experience with it?

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    BRUH.... I saw this the other day and I WAS LITERALLY IN TEARS FOR HALF THE FILM!!!!! Just an unbelievable film... the score... the color scheme Nolan used.. the characters and how the story was portrayed from 3 different views. I was on the edge of my seat.. Zimmer's score had me in a panic attack. I just loved it.

I cried, seriously. I was so moved. WWII movies get to me... Just because of the shear mass amount of human effort that went into the war. Something you don't see with society today. Everyone wanting to get social media famous and the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality. These men and woman during the war effort were so damn courageous and brave. I love talking to this generation of people. I have so much damn respect for them. I just wish I had an ounce of their guts.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I thought it was good, but not great. There is no doubt that technically it is top notch; the sound design, the set pieces, the cinematography, all these are excellent. Yet I couldn't help feeling that something was missing to fully invest myself. Can't really place my finger on it. Well, one thing that kind of felt off was the scale. It just didn't feel like 400,000 soldiers are waiting to be rescued, nor can you tell that any huge undertaking is on the way for their safe evacuation. I read somewhere that in reality there were a few hundred military ships committed to the effort, and also that air operations were much more frequent. In the film you see...I don't know...maybe two or three vessels? And just a few scattered planes here and there. The soldiers don't look to be more than a few thousand at any point. I keep remembering the Dunkirk scene in the film "Atonement" and how different it is than what Nolan depicts. Nolan's Dunkirk seems a bit too sterile.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the 70mm IMAX screenings are no joke. Highly recommended. Do NOT see it in Lie-MAX, see it in true, full floor to ceiling IMAX. I saw it at Lincoln Center and the movie is just gorgeous. Those flying scenes over the ocean? ::swoon::

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I do wish the major powers in WW2 such as the British, Russians, Germans and Japanese had film industries big enough to make these type of blockbuster films more often....I mean all these countries have made great WW2 movies but its not enough!

I really liked this film, especially the sound, Dunkirk was such a big operation. This is the best Nolan film I seen so far, never got into Batman or Inception but always liked some of his shots and what he was trying to do, and Insomnia was a good film.

I have no issue with American WW2 movies they are great but it would be good to see MORE from a different perspective

So many of the WW2 films I have seen are focused on the Normandy invasion in 1944...

I hardly ever see any on the Eastern Front situation where most of the fighting took place and where 50 million people died, in fact my favourite WW2 movie is a Soviet/Russian film called Come and See from 1985.
    Its in all the top 100 films lists of all time..legendary....but its a work of art absolutely brutal.
    Just shows how the Soviet German war was a war of total attrition.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Yeah i was really underwhelmed by this one, it was well executed and performed, looked great, there was some intense scenes but there just wasn't much to the film as a whole or so i found.

I will say though that it was refreshing to see a WW2 film from a perspective other than the U.S.

EDIT: I also watched this with my Dad, he's ex-Military and enjoys his war films. He wasn't too thrilled about it either, we both agreed about Hacksaw Ridge being the better of the two. (and yes i know they're quite different to be comparing but just in terms of recent WW2 films you know?)
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 08-01-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    What I did like about this movie was that it didn't take a stance, the enemy is shrouded in mystery and you never know when he's attacking or if he is even doing so. So I really loved that tension throughout the movie although it isn't action filled or overblown with special effects. And that's another thing that I found very enjoyable and exciting for a change: war is boring for the most part and especially back then more of a cat and mouse game. That's what Dunkirk is about. People are on the edge and on the brink of mental breakdown, because nothing is happening, and when it is, all hell breaks loose. Especially the sound design was amazing, weapons sounded like weapons (especially the Spitfires) and I just loved that the air combat wasn't dogfight after dogfight, but a cat and mouse game as well.

On the other hand I have to confess that the movie drags here and there, mainly because there are indeed no huge action scenes and unfortunately no memorable scene as well as was the case with movies like Platoon, Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Heck, even Enemy at the Gates had memorable moments, but Dunkirk falls flat in that department IMHO.

So, I went with low expecatations as I did not know what Nolan could do with a war movie and I was pleased with the movie. It might be the most realistic one I have seen in a while, but it fails to stick with me. The score fits very well and does indeed ring a bell when you are familiar with Trent's and Atticus' filmwork. For some reason alot of it sounded like the Joker theme from TDK as well.

Beautifully shot, very haunting, strong but very few performances and most of all: no bullshit patriotism that dimmed down Hacksaw Ridge for me, although that movie was relentless of course. I guess Dunkirk is more of a mood piece, rather than a blockbuster. It felt like a meditation on war and the people interwined in it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't know... didn't really work for me, didn't grab me, I did not care much about anything, first time this happened with Nolan. The biggest impression I took from the cinema was that the Blade Runner trailer was amazing and I am really looking forward to THAT one. :-) In numbers, 6/10.