Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to The Fragile

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Happy Birthday to The Fragile

Another September 21, another anniversary.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I can't believe it's fifteen years since I was in my flat doing some mundane tidying task while listening to The Fragile and The Frail just really stopped me in my tracks, it was like being transported somewhere else. Then i just stopped and listened, definitely the album that took NIN to favourite band territory.

I remember phoning up my sister later that day, as we'd been to Tower Records to buy it together the previous day, just to rave on about it's genius
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-21-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Never forget the first tones from that album. Somewhat Damaged: that build up! Thank you.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The Fragile is still one of the most listened to albums in my Nine Inch Nails collection. It was also the album that sealed my interest for me as a new fan at the time. I might've become a fan very late in the game, but The Fragile was only 3 years old when I first listened to it, and it had me listening to it back-to-back in bed. My how time flies as always. Thank goodness that it just ages like a fine wine among several other NIN albums. The Fragile certainly was and still is one hell of an aurally mellifluous trip, especially whenever I'm in the right mood for it.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Right about this time, I was in the dark with headphones on, with the CDs on constant rotation in my Discman, until I finally fell asleep. The only way I've listened to a new NIN album since.*

*now with iPod

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Fifteen years since I walked into Best Buy to grab my first release-day NIN record. Hard to believe. I didn't know what the cover looked like and I remember spotting it on the shelf, grabbing it and savoring it in my hands for a few seconds before getting to the checkout and running out to my car.

Days like that don't happen so much for the music industry anymore. That sucks.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I listened to it sitting in front of my stereo. It was massive and I loved it. No other album had ever reached me the way this one does.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I bought the album at "The Warehouse" put disc one on. took off down the street with my windows down. got on the freeway, the case with disc 2 slid out the window onto the freeway... i got off on the next offramp, went back to "The Warehouse" and bought another copy. gave the extra copy of disc one to my friend. heh.

have since bought a bunch of other copies of this record. probably one of my top 3 albums of all time.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I remember when KROQ played WITT for the first time. I was hanging out on #nin on Undernet (IRC). People were going crazy. I remember this like it was yesterday. Good times.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    I first heard TDTWWA via a radio rip passed around on IRC. The first time I heard WITT, I was sitting in my car at an intersection near my parents' house, waiting on a traffic light. The first time I listened to The Fragile was also in that same car, but parked on a street near my college campus. I remember thinking the vocals for The Wretched sounded weirdly muffled, something I've definitely gotten used to and don't notice anymore.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh shoot..15 yrs already? Best album ever. How much do I love this NIN music? Well, when TF came out, I was kinda poor. Literally, Ramen and juice for a while. Bread, peanut butter, a few veggies if I was lucky. No more than that though. But somehow, I was able to pay 17 bucks for TF when it came out, LOL, day of release actually. I just cut back on something..perhaps no peanut butter, Idk what I cut back on. But was thinking it may mean a week of just Ramen, I don't remember.. but who cares..I had something really freaking great to listen to with my Ramen. Totally worth it. Sales guy kept asking me if I wanted to get the vinyl cause it was a collector's item..that he bought three of them..blah blah. I didn't tell him I was dirt poor..and there's no snowball's chance in heck I could get the vinyl..but was just super happy to get TF on cd..and that I had a Walkman to listen to it on. Lol, Walkman..those are so dated now. TF, it was like buying a piece of gold..but better.

Forward to this year..and I paid a boat load to get a good seat on the tour...also totally worth it...no Ramen consequences either, thank the Lord.

Thanks NIN for making TF, it helped in those days as they sucked in more ways than one. TF made them better for sure!.

Been listening to TF the most lately..it never gets old, does it? Lol, I also got my copy at Warehouse..the days before Walmart and Best Buy... Was very cool that a Warehouse was near me as I didn't have a car...lol. I still have no idea how I bought that cd, haha. All I remember is that it was the best music I'd heard and was glad I got it.
    Last edited by Omega; 09-22-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I was late to the NIN game, but The Fragile is really the first time I realized just how well Trent and Co. could weave beauty into and out of noise. My gateway was Year Zero and With Teeth, and after consuming Ghosts I-IV and The Slip, I decided it was time to work my way backwards through the NIN catalogue. I was in a really bad place when I first heard The Fragile, and I think that definitely helped me connect with the album, as it has with quite a few people. So much of it spoke to me in a way that I had rarely felt before. It was spooky, but it was fantastic as well, and it resonated with me when I was in that dark place where everything seemed awful and nothing was ever going to get better because, honestly, the album kind of plays out how life plays out. It ascends and descends. Up into the light. Down into the darkness. There and back again. There are moments of beauty and moments of ugliness in this life, and The Fragile plays them all out. There's a song for every mood it seems, and that's why, to this day, it still works. Sure, you could argue that it's a bit overstuffed, but I think the fact that it's not a compact album, that it meanders and wanders and ends up on tangents before returning to the path it's on, is what makes it such a good album. Not many albums, especially in this day and age, get to breathe like The Fragile does.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The first time I heard We're In This Together, it was the video on MTV. I remember wondering what the big deal was, and why they kept playing such an uninspiring video. I wish Into The Void or TDTWWA was picked as the lead single over here, then it might not have taken another six years for me to develop an interest in NIN.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    some friends and i listened to this on vinyl last night to celebrate, only to discover the second and third discs are warped

("La Mer" turned out like Boards of Canada, though, so at least that didn't totally suck.)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That stinks season, sorry about that.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i bought it at 7:30 in the morning (when fred meyer opened) the day it came out. i had to work at 9:00, so i carefully unwrapped it in my car and sat there soaking it all up before i had to clock in.

after sd started, i totally welled up -- i had waited SO LONG for that moment and it was totally overwhelming.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I didn't find out about Nine Inch Nails until 2005 when With Teeth came out (hard to believe that album turns ten years old next May) and I knew after a few listens of that album that I had discovered something special. That notion has never been more clear than when I purchased The Downward Spiral during the summer and, more importantly, The Fragile later that fall. I love With Teeth because it introduced me to this great musical entity, I love The Downward Spiral because of its dark, violent, brooding excellence, but I love The Fragile because of how perfect it is. It is my favorite NIN album for many reasons. In my opinion, it takes what The Downward Spiral did and builds upon its sound in a natural progression that really shows how Trent Reznor matured over the five year gap between albums. It shows how his sound evolved and how beautiful music can be. The album is undoubtedly an experience that must be listened to from start to finish. The Fragile is beautiful and ugly, epic and personal, intense and euphoric, an explosion of intricacies and layers of wonderful noise I'm still enjoying and discovering to this day. I listened to it once all the way through yesterday and today, and I'll probably do the same tomorrow and maybe even the next day. The Fragile is bliss. The Fragile is a testament to why I adore Trent Reznor's genius and why I'm always proud to call myself a fan of Nine Inch Nails. Happy Birthday.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    And another year that passes with no Fragile deluxe re-issue...

Here's to the 20 year mark I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dang, I love that CD, I feel old, been following NIN since PHM ( now im 44) ��

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember buying this album, a few days before my 20th birthday, gee time flies, an amazing album and something I'd like Trent to do again, a double album...