Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Okay, we need to talk about how these EPs reference the whole NIN discography

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd553 View Post
    I noticed something so I scanned the forum and found this thread. Some people are saying there is an ARG happening but we all missed the clues and stuff. I noticed through the EP's not only the lyrics but some sounds that are from previous works.. One example if at 3:38 of Burning Bright on YouTube there is some guitar strumming, which sounds like a direct lift from Somewhat Damaged? or one of the songs off of the Fragile.. I just remember hearing that exact strumming before.
    As it pertains to the possible ARG... in an interview he did the day before the Bakersfield show he talked about how fascinated he was at how people discovered Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon synced with the Wizard of Oz movie. Especially how cuts lined up and such... Do you think we should be looking at the songs from NTAE and AV and seeing if they somehow sync up with other NIN songs and maybe then something will be revealed ?
    I did think about that. I tried summing the single download version of "Less Than" with an inverted copy of the EP version, just to see if there was anything hidden 180 degrees out of phase (like there was on that "Capital G" download from the Year Zero ARG). Nothing, they cancelled out perfectly. I don't see any evidence thus far that there IS any kind of ARG happening at all, just a narrative between the EPs that is unfolding gradually with each release. Maybe with a couple of red herring clues hidden just to irk us obsessives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I did think about that. I tried summing the single download version of "Less Than" with an inverted copy of the EP version, just to see if there was anything hidden 180 degrees out of phase (like there was on that "Capital G" download from the Year Zero ARG). Nothing, they cancelled out perfectly. I don't see any evidence thus far that there IS any kind of ARG happening at all, just a narrative between the EPs that is unfolding gradually with each release. Maybe with a couple of red herring clues hidden just to irk us obsessives.
    In the magazine interview Trent talked about how the ARG was taking all the attention away from the actual music he released. Much to his disappointment. I am beginning to think maybe the ARG is all in the songs and the Physical Editions. So no Tshirts, USB sticks or websites?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    It's hardly an ARG if the only physical component of it that exists in the world is literally something they ship to your house on demand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Has anyone found any references or throwbacks to Pretty Hate Machine in the EPs?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRanged691 View Post
    Has anyone found any references or throwbacks to Pretty Hate Machine in the EPs?
    The Add Violence cover is literrally a pretty hate machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Long time lurker here, I noticed something that could be a possible connection. The first time I heard less than, a lyric reminded me of copy of a:

"Look what you you've gone and done
    Well that doesn't sound like fun".

"Go and look what you gone done,
    welcome oblivion".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri. View Post
    The Add Violence cover is literrally a pretty hate machine.
    I meant in the songs themselves.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    My opinion is this...

These three EP's could be tying into Year Zero in an unexpected twist. It's the Bleedthrough concept from 2004 reimagined.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-29-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I maintain that the Year Zero ARG was the Bleedthrough concept reimagined, but sure. Lyrics in "The Background World" do seem to explicitly endorse the idea that the fantasy which Year Zero depicted is actually coming true.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dunno if this was mentioned here, but notice how The Background World contains the lyric "Is always bleeding through", which is very similar to lyrics on two songs off of With Teeth, and in turn Bleedthrough.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It's hardly an ARG if the only physical component of it that exists in the world is literally something they ship to your house on demand.
    That's highly debatable.
    I'm pretty sure we will get the "whole picture" once the third E.P. is released or at least something more to work with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think the biggest clue to what is going on is this bit from the Vulture interview with Trent:

Quote Originally Posted by Trent
    I was always the guy who desperately wanted the Dark Side of the Moon to line up with The Wizard of Oz. I wanted to believe somebody was so far out of their mind that they figured that out. Fuck, I got goose bumps just thinking about that possibility right now — the idea that someone could be thinking so hard about an album.
    Back when the Year Zero ARG was at its highest, people here were starting to notice that you could very easily connect that world with previous NIN albums. Like God himself reaching his fucking arm through in The Wretched. Or the entirety of Head Like a Hole.

Obviously, Trent didn't have YZ in mind when he did either of those songs. But how badass would it be for an artist to retrofit their entire body of work to fit an overarching plot? I could easily believe that's what we're seeing now. Every prior NIN song could conceivably be just another bit of a never-ending, but always changing, simulation where violence is added, then subtracted, anxiety is dialed up, then down, chaos is amplified, etc.

It would be one hell of a way to break new ground. Not only in terms of what Trent's been doing, but it'd be a whole new ballgame for popular music as a whole.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRanged691 View Post
    "Shut up!" in Less than reminded me of Down in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Obviously, Trent didn't have YZ in mind when he did either of those songs. But how badass would it be for an artist to retrofit their entire body of work to fit an overarching plot? I could easily believe that's what we're seeing now. Every prior NIN song could conceivably be just another bit of a never-ending, but always changing, simulation where violence is added, then subtracted, anxiety is dialed up, then down, chaos is amplified, etc.

It would be one hell of a way to break new ground. Not only in terms of what Trent's been doing, but it'd be a whole new ballgame for popular music as a whole.
    The idea of that gives me goose bumps.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    "How did I slip into this?"

A time slip is a plot device used in fantasy and science fiction in which a person, or group of people, seem to travel through time by unknown means for a period of time.[1][2]
    The idea of a time slip has been utilized by a number of science fiction and fantasy writers popularized at the end of the 19th century by Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, having considerable influence on later writers.[3] This is one of the main plot devices of time travel stories, the other being a time machine. The difference is that in time slip stories, the protagonist typically has no control and no understanding of the process (which is often never explained at all) and is either left marooned in a past time and must make the best of it, or is eventually returned by a process as unpredictable and uncontrolled.[4] The plot device is also popular in children's literature.[5][6]

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The "Survivalism" video is set in 2022, after all...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The "Survivalism" video is set in 2022, after all...
    Honest question. Year Zero is from many different standpoints, is one of them our "main protagonist"? I ask because the entire main discography can more or less be attributed to a single person:

Pretty Hate Machine = growing up. A new, emotional being trying to cope with its feelings.
    Broken = uncertainty and anger are externalized. Fuck you.
    The Downward Spiral = anger leading to self-destruction. Fuck the world. Death.
    The Fragile = 2/3 of the Divine Comedy. Our protagonist's trip through Hell and Purgatory. Alternate idea is TDS is Hell, TF is Purgatory.
    With Teeth = rebirth. Although there are echoes of the old life, our protagonist seems to be "learning". What is the end game?
    Year Zero = the end of the world "as we know it".
    Ghosts I–IV = reflection, nostalgia. Snapsnots of the past.
    The Slip = ...and we're back! How or why is a mystery; apparently we've traveled back in time.
    Hesitation Marks = our protagonist knows by this point he is trapped. Instead of killing himself, the anger is harnessed towards breaking out of the loop for good.

I can't comment further than that until the 3rd EP of this cycle is released. NTAE and Add Violence do not appear to be linear at first, but the 3rd part could be linear from Add Violence. Something happened at the end of "The Background World". Playing our own God has its ramifications beyond just us, though.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think Year Zero was described as a daydream that turned out to be a premonition.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think The Becoming is referenced a few times in the new EPs. Perhaps more than these two songs.

Idea of you:
    There was someone else who isn't here anymore , The Becoming Lyric: That part of me isn't here anymore
    Less Than
    Did it fix what was wrong with you? Are you less than? The Becoming Lyric:
    I can see it killing away all my bad parts (Things killing away means that entity is less than)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The technique used for the ending The Background World (more distortion added to each measure of the loop) was also used on the ending of Closer To God.