Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Knife / Fever Ray - Discussion

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I think IDK About You is one of my favorites. The only song I'm not super in love with (yet) is This Country
    that's even funnier, because "this country" is one of my favorites haha

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Must've listened through this like 5 times now...still finding little things I'm missing in previous listens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Wow, nothing like a surprise album after an eight year absence! *Patiently waits for tour dates announcements...*

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Everyone here seems to have nothing but praise for the new record, which is great. But if I might play devil's advocate for a minute...

This doesn't feel like a Fever Ray album to me. If I were a huge The Knife fan I'd be over the moon about it because to me it sounds very much like a Knife album (and this is the Knife thread after all). But if I'm being honest I'm not all that big a Knife fan. I am however a huge fan of the first Fever Ray record and I'd put it in my top albums all time. Tracks like Concrete Walls, Dry and Dusty, If I Had a Heart, Stranger Than Kindness, Keep The Streets Empty are so stunningly dark yet beautiful and feel both ancient and futuristic somehow. I connected with it instantly and with the new record it's like nothing works for me, not one track, not even one. I've had artists I love make a great record followed by a not so great record before, but even then there's always been some element that was still there whereas this feels as if its two different artists entirely. So I guess my question to those who love the new record is, what am I missing? Am I alone in thinking this isn't up to par with the first record? Do you prefer The Knife's discography or Fever Ray?

I should also mention that this is all only my opinion and if you are enjoying Plunge by all means continue to do so at all costs. KDA is a great artist and even when I don't connect to the work personally I can still recognize and appreciate the attempt at something new and regardless of where I end up with this record I will no doubt continue to check out anything she releases. Also, I don't completely dislike the Knife, I just never loved any of those records like I did with Fever Ray. Silent Shout being my favorite, particularly the tracks forest families and silent shout still stand out to me as great and get regular spins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Everyone here seems to have nothing but praise for the new record, which is great. But if I might play devil's advocate for a minute...

This doesn't feel like a Fever Ray album to me. If I were a huge The Knife fan I'd be over the moon about it because to me it sounds very much like a Knife album (and this is the Knife thread after all). But if I'm being honest I'm not all that big a Knife fan. I am however a huge fan of the first Fever Ray record and I'd put it in my top albums all time. Tracks like Concrete Walls, Dry and Dusty, If I Had a Heart, Stranger Than Kindness, Keep The Streets Empty are so stunningly dark yet beautiful and feel both ancient and futuristic somehow. I connected with it instantly and with the new record it's like nothing works for me, not one track, not even one. I've had artists I love make a great record followed by a not so great record before, but even then there's always been some element that was still there whereas this feels as if its two different artists entirely. So I guess my question to those who love the new record is, what am I missing? Am I alone in thinking this isn't up to par with the first record? Do you prefer The Knife's discography or Fever Ray?

I should also mention that this is all only my opinion and if you are enjoying Plunge by all means continue to do so at all costs. KDA is a great artist and even when I don't connect to the work personally I can still recognize and appreciate the attempt at something new and regardless of where I end up with this record I will no doubt continue to check out anything she releases. Also, I don't completely dislike the Knife, I just never loved any of those records like I did with Fever Ray. Silent Shout being my favorite, particularly the tracks forest families and silent shout still stand out to me as great and get regular spins.
    Tracks like Mustn't Hurry, Plunge and Red Trails... even Mama's Hand sound very much in the vein of the self-titled to me, but fitted with the more abrasive production of this album. Mustn't Hurry scratches that 2009 itch so well that I feel it'd fit pretty snuggly with the songs on that first record. Plunge (the track) also reminds me of Coconut.

People also said Shaking the Habitual sounded like Fever Ray when it released I seem to recall. Bound to happen I guess when an artist does a solo joint and then produces more music with the prior krew.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Mute Records confirmed that Fever Ray will tour in 2018! I can't help but wonder if they will rework older material (similarly to the silent shout/sth tours) to fit in with the new stuff? Will any of the older FR "characters" or costumes come back or will it all be new? Will she have a proper band like back in '08?

"Wanna Sip" has been a grower for me. its a good track, and i like it more on every listen (and hope they play it live next year), but compared to past dreijer album openers it is a weaker track. as a album opener compared to heartbeats, if i had a heart, silent shout etc. i feel like i remember hearing those songs for the first time more or less, and having my mind blown at the time!

"Mustn't Hurry" is some straight 2008-10 era magic brought back to life in my brain and ears. its magic. i am glad we got at least one track that is so similar to the first album

"A Part of Us" a cool collaboration, and i think this may be my favorite chorus on the album right now: i dig/i plant/a walnut tree/i pour a lot of water on. fever ray lyrics on a song that reminds me of the knife

"Falling" is a really great slow burner thats best on headphones or loud speakers! kind of reminds me shaking the habitual

"IDK About You" i really love karin's vocal delivery on here. another track i didn't appreciate until listen 4 or 5, this tracks sounds very deep cuts to me and would fit in easily with is it medicine, and listen now

"This Country" amazing. play it loud. dance to it with your friends and lovers!

"The Plunge" this one feels like a cousin to the captain, but it likes to move, and there is nothing wrong with that! i can really imagine this one being played live on the 06 silent shout tour

"To the Moon and Back" still diggin' on this track! an unlikely lead single for fever ray that sounds more like the knife's shaking the habitual

"Red Trails" a immediate stand out for me, very powerful and it feels very fever ray without sounding too close to album one. i would take a whole album of this: fever ray with strings. the "setting the snow on fire" lyric directly harkens back to album one and karin's vocals kill me!. this is one of the best tracks on the album imo. been on repeat a lot

"An Itch" my least favorite at the moment, not that i don't like it. i like this track, but not in this context. i think its a really weird choice to put this track where it is on the album idk

"Mama's Hand" great album closer, and it fits greatly in with the older material or silent shout

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just listened to Deep Cuts again last night and what a great album. These guys are a big influence on me personally.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    He's high

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't agree with that guy half the time

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    He's great at articulating his opinions but I don't know if I have ever once heard a review of his that I actually agreed with. Plunge is great and feels like a fully-formed continuation of all of the sounds, themes, moods and subjects Karen loves to create music about. His criticism that it feels out of whack makes no sense to me, either -- the album has a really constant sense of pulse and speed and even the quieter songs layer on intensity and a feeling of mood. I don't have many complaints at all and at worst, I wish it had more to it, but the length is actually a positive for me since I have a hard time sitting down to listen to an hour+ long album regularly these days.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    He's great at articulating his opinions but I don't know if I have ever once heard a review of his that I actually agreed with. Plunge is great and feels like a fully-formed continuation of all of the sounds, themes, moods and subjects Karen loves to create music about. His criticism that it feels out of whack makes no sense to me, either -- the album has a really constant sense of pulse and speed and even the quieter songs layer on intensity and a feeling of mood. I don't have many complaints at all and at worst, I wish it had more to it, but the length is actually a positive for me since I have a hard time sitting down to listen to an hour+ long album regularly these days.
    I just watched that review and it's pretty much the same type of reaction I had to it in my post here a couple days ago. Seemed like he was as shocked as I was that he didn't like it. I think it may have something to do with just how high I regarded the 1st record but this one just does nothing for me. I do agree with you though that it was fairly cohesive and the songs do seem to fit together in a similar space. I just happened to not really like or connect with that space. Oh well, its not like this record erases the greatness of the 1st.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fingers crossed she'll make her way over here eventually...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS FEVER RAY IS COMING TO VANCOUVER AND JUST AFTER I GET BACK FROM CALIFORNIA.

Fever Ray 2018 Tour Dates:
    02/19 – Vienna, AT @ SiMM City
    02/20 – Milan, IT @ Fabrique
    02/22 – Munich, DE @ Muffathalle
    02/23 – Lausanne, CH @ Les Docks
    02/24 – Zürich, CH @ Volkshaus
    02/26 – Prague, CZ @ Forum Karlin
    02/28 – Berlin, DE @ Columbiahalle
    03/01 – Warsaw, PL @ Progresja
    03/02 – Vilnius, LT @ The Hall Compensa
    03/04 – Helsinki, FI @ The Circus
    03/13 – Hamburg, DE @ Docks
    03/14 – Amsterdam, NL @ Paradiso
    03/15 – Brussels, BE @ AB
    03/17 – Cologne, DE @ Palladium
    03/19 – Paris, FR @ L’Olympia
    03/20 – London, UK @ Troxy
    03/21 – Manchester, UK @ Albert Hall
    03/31 – Lund, SE @ Mejeriet
    04/02 – Bergen, NO @ USF Verftet
    04/03 – Oslo, NO @ Sentrum Scene
    04/04 – Copenhagen, DK @ Vega
    04/06 – Stockholm, SE @ Nobelberget
    04/06 – Stockholm, SE @ Nobelberget
    05/12 – New York, NY @ Red Bull Music Festival
    05/13 – New York, NY @ Red Bull Music Festival
    05/14 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    05/16 – Montreal, QC @ MTELUS
    05/17 – Toronto, ON @ Danfroth Music Hall
    05/18 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
    05/21 – Seattle, WA @ The Showbox
    05/22 – Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theatre
    05/23 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
    05/25 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Palladium
    05/26 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
    05/24-28 – Bradley, CA @ Lightning in a Bottle
    06/29-07/01 – Beuningen, NL @ Down the Rabbit Hole
    07/12-15 – Ferropolisstraße, DE @ Melt Festival

And a new video!

Last edited by october_midnight; 01-23-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Anybody knows what the presale codes are?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Anybody knows what the presale codes are?
    Word around the interwebs is that the Spotify presale is: Plunge

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    And no dates anywhere near FL. I might have to look into which city’s flight would be the cheapest — I never managed to see The Knife and Fever Ray would be amazing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone know what the deal with those NY dates are? They seem to be the only shows that didn't go on sale today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Scored two presale tickets for Vancouver, with fees came to $99 CAD for what it's worth. Awwwww yuss.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I was wondering when/if they would do a live album for the last Fever Ray Tour. That vinyl looks good but god damn is it pricey. Over $70 to ship to the US. Gonna have to pass on this unless they put it up for sale in the US. Wish it wasn't limited
    Last edited by imail724; 06-20-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

This image was uploaded to The Knife's instagram yesterday with a caption saying there will be an announcement tomorrow (today) and to sign up for there mailing list. But it has since been deleted.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like the Rabid Record bandcamp now has the entire Knife, Olof, and Fever Ray discography up. And I mean entire. Wow.

The Live At Terminal 5 concert/album is now available to purchase for Canada, the U.S. and other countries for the first time from the Rabid store.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Looks like the Rabid Record bandcamp now has the entire Knife, Olof, and Fever Ray discography up. And I mean entire. Wow.

The Live At Terminal 5 concert/album is now available to purchase for Canada, the U.S. and other countries for the first time from the Rabid store.
    the pricing is so fucked. $14.44 for the "seven" remix collection? $8 for "you take my breath away" and three remixes? jesus christ.
    and the blue text is almost impossible to read on the fever ray and the knife pages, holy shit my eyes hurt.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    As I type this, The Knife is doing an AMA in the Instagram stories. They're actually answering a ton of questions, and predictably most are nonsense. There are however a few that are, let's say...more intriguing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    As I type this, The Knife is doing an AMA in the Instagram stories. They're actually answering a ton of questions, and predictably most are nonsense. There are however a few that are, let's say...more intriguing.

There was also the question 'Any chance of a Nine Inch Nails collab in the future!?' to which they replied 'would be fun!'

More NIN spotting than Knife news, but it should be mentioned here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Look who's back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can't wait for the new album! It's worth noting that Olof Dreijer is credited on this track....so its sort of a mini Knife reunion.