Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Amenra

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Amenra

I'm making an Amenra thread and don't even care if it's only me posting in it. New album De Doorn is a ripper. All things Church of Ra. Can't wait for them to tour again, only seen them once but it was life changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This band is a life changer. Saw them 5 times, including 1 acoustic set in a church in Paris. <3

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    De Doorn is the first album of theirs that I've bought. It's so good. Question is, which album do I get next?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Would also love some recommendations. De Doorn is the first album I've listened to from Amenra and I'm really digging it. Reminds me of Heilung quite a bit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Of course the purist in me will say to start at the beginning and work your way down the line, but honestly give Mass IIII and Mass VI the first try. Mass IIII has my all time favorite Amenra track ‘Razoreater’ followed immediately by Aorte Nous Sommes du Memes Sang...a top 5 track for sure. Mass VI is another banger with the band in a fully realized state. Every track slays. Then seek out their Tim Buckley / TMC cover of ‘Song To The Siren’ which is unbelievable and shows you how good their acoustic side is (they have live albums and often do acoustic shows).

Edit: https://amenra.bandcamp.com/track/am...by-tim-buckley

Razoreater live is possibly the greatest thing I’ve seen...I thought my chest was going to implode.

Last edited by october_midnight; 06-30-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fantastic performance in high quality of 'Am Kreuz' with Lingua Ignota.

Also, Decibel is streaming their FANTASTIC documentary 'A Flood of Light' for about another week.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just ordered my copy of the blu ray for 'Le Cercle'. Amenra's set begins 45 min in, and of course is unbelievable.

This year we all came together on a meadow in our hometown, Kortrijk, to play our latest album, MASS VI in its entirety. This recorded performance was the last concert we would be playing with our bassplayer, Levy Seynaeve. For one last time the circle of that AMENRA era was complete. We would now like to provide you with another opportunity to view this memorable meeting of friends. It was only us, and a crew of extremely talented friends. The sparse natural setting, special light set-up and drone footage makes for a unique concert experience like never before.

edit: Annnd it's gone.

Last edited by october_midnight; 07-07-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Live set from last night's Alcatraz Festival is on Facebook ....for now.

That performance of Am Kreuz, holy shit.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh shit! New 'De Doorn (Version 2)' album surprise dropped! Managed to snag the ltd. to 247 colorway and a shirt. It's streaming everywhere and is fucking amazing. They basically re-recorded the album with a new producer and lyrics.

Preorders up at all three locations, Evil Greed (UK) - Consouling (BE) and Relapse (US). I had to go Relapse at it was the biggest option of colorways and best shirt available.

Preorders
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-21-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    They basically re-recorded the album with a new producer and lyrics.
    Why? This seems like a pretty odd thing to do with a brand new album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Why? This seems like a pretty odd thing to do with a brand new album.
    That wasn't entirely accurate. It's a completely different mix with only a few spots of different lyrics, change in Caro's background vocals, etc. Already listened through it twice, the guitars are definitely higher in the mix in a lot of spots, Caro's backing vocals and Voor Immer though...it's the most different. Her backing vox are almost ethereal and flowing, and CHVE's vocals are much clearer.

Lead Vocalist Colin H. van Eeckhout comments:

“An album is never an endpoint for us, but a beginning. I see everything as a study, a means to learn and become better. Playing these songs live also makes them “alive”. They change and evolve in time. Just like us. Change is always.

We are always interested in seeing or hearing what others might do to one and the same recording. Different band members sometimes have different opinions and tastes, and we strive for everyone in the band to be able to have a mix and master that truly comes close to what was aspired at first. We will therefore be releasing a new version of our latest album ‘De Doorn’ coming January 21st, 2022.”

Guitarist Lennart Bossu comments:

We were familiar with Seth from his work with bands like The Body, Full Of Hell and Lingua Ignota, and were therefore eager to see the direction he would take the songs in. Seth really succeeded in bringing our sound as close as possible to what I had envisioned, adding liveliness and new layers of depth. It offers a new perspective, another side to the story that is ‘De Doorn’.”
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-21-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Interesting, but I don't think I need this. I'll stick with my copy of the first version.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It’s certainly only for the diehards lol.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The changes between versions are so subtle I barely even noticed any of them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Had the honour of designing the art for the Amenra show in Amsterdam this upcoming January. Seeing it in print is like a surreal dream for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw them live this year despite not hearing a single album of theirs. Still ended up probably one of the greatest live performances I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Stumbled randomly on their set on Arte and I'm wondering how did I keep missing on them for so long

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Sitting on this one for a few weeks so cool to share.

Also, had the honour a while ago to design another few show posters for Amenra.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Wish they were hitting more of the US. Not going anywhere near me, unfortunately.