Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Knife / Fever Ray - Discussion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmm... it's alright. Doesn't really get me going like Full of Fire did. Still mad excited for this album though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Knife - Discussion

a tooth for an eye is nothing groundshaking coming from them... already heard with first two albums. I think they can't surpass Silent Shout. well, let's hope for the best.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    New video for A Tooth For A Eye -

Also in the new issue of Fader -

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i LOVED full of fire when i first heard it, and i really liked the video. however, i watched the video a second time, and it doesn't really hold up to repeat viewings. i still love the song, but after watching the video for a tooth for an eye, i don't love it quite as much. a tooth for an eye was just more my style, i guess? i think i liked it quite so much in part because of the video, but i also really like it on its own.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I really like the new single: Got me more excited for the album than "Full of Fire" (which I still like and look forward to hearing in context).

I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the Amazon version of the 3xLP comes with the lyric poster + CD, etc.? I'd imagine it does, but I can't say for certain. I'd hate to drop twice as much dough using the Rabid Records store to find out I could have got the same exact package for way less somewhere else.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 03-16-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed with the new songs. Now they're weird for the sake of it. Where are the great melodies & beats from Deep Cuts & Silent Shout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Calling these weird for the sake of it is a bit off for a band that did a song about a woman with her nob hanging out. Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    Calling these weird for the sake of it is a bit off for a band that did a song about a woman with her nob hanging out. Just saying.
    The lyrics were always weird. But this time they're weird WITHOUT having good tunes. And it's disappointing...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm not really understanding the disappointment... I honestly think these new tracks are kickass.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Knife just released this:

SOME FEELING IN THE BELLIES OF THE TANKERS WHO PASS US MAKING SAD MANIC BONGS LIKE DRUMS
    Everybody is always desiring already imagined things.
    When we travel between thresholds, people say: “you’re hiding.”
    Not everything can be so easily explained.
    We have a bellyache, a big stink, a major grouse or two with manufactured knowledge.
    But how do you build an album about not knowing?
    Now your voice is in my throat, floating there…
    Often people take pills for these things.
    To us the body is no longer psychological.
    It’s certainly not a container, we don’t believe in metaphors.
    Like dog/wolf—there aren’t many anymore.
    Still at twilight something blurs over your shoulder.
    Which is it?
    It’s prickly.
    Our hair is out.
    We have made some decisions.
    We want to fail more, act without authority.
    Plus there’s something phlegmatic about the world state don’t you think?
    There’s a blood system promoting biology as destiny.
    A series of patriarchies that’s a problem to the Nth degree.
    What about hyper-capitalism, this homicidal class system, the school system that’s kaput?
    Then there are castles everywhere—look at them fake tanning and signing autographs!
    At least there’s one thing we stand behind.
    There’s still an ecosystem right? And here’s this sound system.
    We dusted it off. Electronic is just one place in the body. We went temporarily acoustic.
    We made our own instruments. We took an old bedspring, a microphone and:
    “Stay out here…”
    Now we’re bending our voices to sound like Emily R., who recorded the track on her cellphone speaker.
    No habits!
    There are other ways to do things.
    Still sometimes it all seems so bad.
    Don’t worry we won’t commit Harakiri, stomach cutting or anything like it.
    The honor system is corrupt, just another privilege.
    Like how it’s a privilege to make an album, to move freely.
    We just have to go faster we mean breakneck we mean “like crazy.”
    How at 5am that warehouse beat is coming up like sour steam.
    All over the dance floor we’re asking: can this DNA turn into something else?
    It’s not metaphorical. It’s explicit.
    There are surgeries and fantasies and holes sweating through the wall.
    It’s a question about feelings. It’s a question about who gets to risk.
    But things don’t change so easily.
    There’s still Monsanto, fracking and “terminator seeds.”
    Every morning we wake up wondering: who’s kicking who on the street corner?
    Now we have to start. We choose process over everything else.
    Letting go of outcomes is another privilege.
    Keep it lateral.
    We ask our friends to help.
    Together we leave the village and walk down the road. The light starts exercising itself. The old sun is out in his winter jumpsuit doing sit-ups and squat thrusts between the nettles and moldy brush.
    10 more! We say to him. Get shaking!
    Our walk gets longer. It’s a walk in the panpipes of the body. We come to the edge. So much water. The ocean is twice its original size. We take a bunch of surveys. They know everything about us. We don’t buy what they say. We take a heap of estrogen. All around us things are howling and then we stand on the pier end. The light is pink and green and pink and green. It reminds us of home—like we imagine it could be. But when the color pancakes out over the horizon, we don’t know what we’re looking at. That’s ok. This time it’s structural.
    No habits!
    Of course we’re growing restless.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Knife - Discussion

!!!! so a leak is imminent! can't wait

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My boner just got a boner

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    the only album in recent history to not leak. i mean it comes out this friday in multiple countries - i dont get it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Knife - Discussion

I don't get it either. Damn. Leak already!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also, here http://theknife.net/

This album is a breath of fresh air amidst modern electronic music.

Raging Lung is my favorite so far.
    Last edited by RevolvingSheep; 04-02-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: The Knife - Discussion

It leaked today too, and it's actually not a rip of the stream believe it or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So far this is blowing me away, so awesome..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Without You My Life Would Be Boring, Wrap Your Arms Around Me (sexy) and Full of Fire are great. The rest, not really my thing, except maybe Raging Lung and even that one kind of meanders.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i'm not really impressed so far. half the album seems to be an exercise in repeating strange sounds over and over to a steady beat. I think Silent Shout will always stand at the forefront of their catalogue for me because it was something different and refreshing for the time. this one... not too keen on. seems very bland and almost lazy in places.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    This album is remarkably ahead of it's time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i'm not really impressed so far. half the album seems to be an exercise in repeating strange sounds over and over to a steady beat. I think Silent Shout will always stand at the forefront of their catalogue for me because it was something different and refreshing for the time. this one... not too keen on. seems very bland and almost lazy in places.
    You might not dig it, but bland and lazy? I don't know, I think making Deep Cuts or Silent Shout v2.0 would have been more lazy, as you put it. Just by looking at their most recent works (Olof's Oni Ayhun stuff and Tomorrow, in a Year), I think it was fairly evident where they'd be heading with their next album.

I chose to skip the previews for this, so upon my first listen I was really surprised by the percussion on these songs. For a complete lack of a better description, a lot of it sounds like some sort of twisted electronic caveman music, which I think is totally fucking rad. I still think Full of Fire is brilliant, but I'm loving Raging Lung, Without You My Life Would Be Boring, and especially Stay Out Here. Two of the most interesting female vocalists in music right now on the same track = bliss.

I liked Tomorrow, in a Year, but I thought they did go a little off the deep end experimentally with some of that stuff. But when they didn't, it was really special... like Colouring of Pigeons for example. That's what this album feels like to me; them keeping the experimentation in check a bit more. Definitely hitting the sweet spot for me.
    Last edited by exilajei; 04-03-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This album's a thinker. Even if I don't end up liking it as much as Silent Shout (which I'm sure I won't - nothing will ever top that), it's really refreshing to see a band release music this dense and cerebral. You feel like you need to study it academically almost as much as you enjoy it aesthetically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    You might not dig it, but bland and lazy? I don't know, I think making Deep Cuts or Silent Shout v2.0 would have been more lazy, as you put it. Just by looking at their most recent works (Olof's Oni Ayhun stuff and Tomorrow, in a Year), I think it was fairly evident where they'd be heading with their next album.

I chose to skip the previews for this, so upon my first listen I was really surprised by the percussion on these songs. For a complete lack of a better description, a lot of it sounds like some sort of twisted electronic caveman music, which I think is totally fucking rad. I still think Full of Fire is brilliant, but I'm loving Raging Lung, Without You My Life Would Be Boring, and especially Stay Out Here. Two of the most interesting female vocalists in music right now on the same track = bliss.

I liked Tomorrow, in a Year, but I thought they did go a little off the deep end experimentally with some of that stuff. But when they didn't, it was really special... like Colouring of Pigeons for example. That's what this album feels like to me; them keeping the experimentation in check a bit more. Definitely hitting the sweet spot for me.
    Now that this post exist, I feel like I have nothing to contribute. I love this album. I love the noisey tracks and how they outline and bookend the more straight forward stuff. Ready to Lose is amazing, great way to close this beast.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i'm going to keep listening to it in case it's a grower, but to kind of further refine my earlier opinion, so far it seems like I can put this album on, and by the time it finishes, I've missed it, because it blends so much to my ears. I liked Silent Shout as I said previously, and i'm also a fan of the Fever Ray material, so i'm hoping maybe it just hasn't clicked or sunk in yet.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I heard the record last night. Fuck, it's good. I agree that it's quite dense and cerebral and needs more listens but I do enjoy it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i'm still trying to digest this album
    it is quite different from the earlier stuff

for me, it's almost like a Portishead "Third" situation...
    where everything you've come to expect from a group is flipped on its head

it is bad? ...not at all
    just a bit more to take in and not as direct as their previous efforts

a real sit down and listen sorta album

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    i can't help thinking the new album sounds like what htda were trying to do. you know... weird/dark electronic beats, full of bleeps and heavy synths featuring female vocals. it's a lot more daring and interesting tho, imo. "full of fire" might be my favorite song right now...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    received my copy on vinyl (with included CDs) the other day but haven't had a chance to listen yet. super excited.