Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 1614

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    The left picture was taken from the end of the "This Isn't the Place" video, the right picture was taken from the user that posted the pic on Reddit of the sleeve.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't help but notice the number on the slipmat: 161803...am I reading that correctly?

For what it's worth, March 16, 2018 is a..........Friday.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Unless something concrete as fuck comes out I honestly thing these are more thematic ties than literal ARG 2 clues, using familiar imagery, lyrical cues and artwork to link everything back in together and fold in on itself.

2000s Trent loves loops and the idea of things feeding back in on itself, with things like The Loop Closes, Copy of a, NTAE vinyl's B-side, etc. all illustrating that and the idea of everything being a simulation is a great way to insert all of NIN's work into this fictional multiverse idea they have going on, which also is a cool way to portray NIN's overall catalog as the "alternate universe where Trent Reznor doesn't get clean and do well in life and ends up an addict in a dystopic nightmare," and it gives him an opportunity to make a sort of "ultimate" magnum opus that combines every theme, style and ambition of the band into one multi-part project, tying it all together and wrapping a neat little bow on top of it.

He talked openly about The Lovers being about where he could have gone in life, Trent's a character in the Year Zero ARG, he and Atticus are portrayed in wireframe in the AV PC and the Houston t-shirt (suggesting they're in the simulation) and tons of old lyrics and themes are mentioned in both physical components. I don't doubt there are a lot of cool goodies, easter eggs and references people haven't figured out yet but I don't think anything as expansive, interactive or mind-blowing as Year Zero's ARG is at work with any of this.

Just look at the end of Hesitation Marks -- a string of songs all dealing with losing yourself, becoming somebody else, split selves melding, fading away and being replaced by something uglier, darker and worse off but stronger, and then the ending of NTAE -- "I'm going back, of course I am ... I am stronger than I have ever been in my decline," and then add the vinyl's b-side on as getting sonically sucked back into your darkest world and you've got an artist obsessed with the idea that no matter what they do, no matter how far they go, no matter how different their life is and no matter how much they grow, they will always have the propensity in them to go right back to that place they escaped from, to re-become that person they've made such an effort to move past being. Add all of that together with fear of dystopia, the current political and global climate being fucking terrifying no matter what side you're on and the feeling of facts not mattering and reality being crazier than fiction and wrapping all of that personal narrative into a high-concept exploration of simulation theory makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just found some of Add Violence's extra lyrics in The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner - "dead smell of perfume", "whispers secrets surges", "red swine eyelids".
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...yelids&f=false

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smellofsunshine View Post
    I just found some of Add Violence's extra lyrics in The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner - "dead smell of perfume", "whispers secrets surges", "red swine eyelids".
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...yelids&f=false

Sounds like this book becomes "subversive material" and including them harkens back to the way quotes from banned books would show up in the backgrounds of the sites in first ARG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just a guess, but I'm thinking 'Add Violence' is associated with the Year Zero ARG website - www.anotherversionofthetruth.com/violence

The website I mention has no concrete information about it, even though it was a legit subdirectory for a Year Zero ARG website. I searched the nin.wiki and archive.org as well as archive.is and I found nothing.

I'm thinking that the subdirectories for anotherversionofthetruth.com are related to the EP trilogy. For instance, the subdirectories are /violence, /revisionism, and /0. Revisionism is related to 'Not the Actual Events." Violence is related to "Add Violence." And, 0 is related to the last EP in the trilogy.

Just a guess, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justonj View Post
    Just a guess, but I'm thinking 'Add Violence' is associated with the Year Zero ARG website - www.anotherversionofthetruth.com/violence

The website I mention has no concrete information about it, even though it was a legit subdirectory for a Year Zero ARG website. I searched the nin.wiki and archive.org as well as archive.is and I found nothing.

I'm thinking that the subdirectories for anotherversionofthetruth.com are related to the EP trilogy. For instance, the subdirectories are /violence, /revisionism, and /0. Revisionism is related to 'Not the Actual Events." Violence is related to "Add Violence." And, 0 is related to the last EP in the trilogy.

Just a guess, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Nope, they all are related to Y0 songs

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Nope, they all are related to Y0 songs
    And Add Violence is related to Year Zero, so it's indeed possible that there is some correlation.

Take this with a grain of salt; I don't fully remember the contents of those web pages.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't help but notice the number on the slipmat: 161803...am I reading that correctly?

Well... shit.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

...well fuck me

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    FWIW the knob on the cover of the AV physical component is labeled for "EVENT INTENSITY" -- ​event.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somethingelse View Post
    Well... shit.
    Well, shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

…not the actual friday

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Not to dredge this all back up again, but did the vinyl section always say, "the dropping of the needle, the difficulty of skipping tracks, the changing of sides, the secrets hidden within...."

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkIcouldburn View Post
    Not to dredge this all back up again, but did the vinyl section always say, "the dropping of the needle, the difficulty of skipping tracks, the changing of sides, the secrets hidden within...."
    Im pretty sure that was on the website store as well, just like it is today for the new album. I don’t think it’s tied into anything other than Trent’s preference to vinyl.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice catch.
    I would like to add that the insert of multiple pictures in a cover art reminds me HM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpits View Post
    Huh, that's interesting, you're absolutely right. I'd say it's the designer using the same layer from NTAE to overlay ADD VIOLENCE with a dirt and scratches effect.

UPDATE: On Bad Witch, the same mark appears, I’m very curious as to what it represents
    Last edited by TrentKliner; 05-10-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On the new Bad Witch art, the same jagged marks appear, I think something may be going on here, I’m not sure especially with the spectogram-background world thing.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentKliner View Post
    On the new Bad Witch art, the same jagged marks appear, I think something may be going on here, I’m not sure especially with the spectogram-background world thing.
    I guess it's just a way to link all three EP ? What if it will be in the final artwork for a whole album ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave fits with the art work and the description as well as The new picture of Trent/Atticus. Atticus is in the cave or dark, relaxed and at ease. Trent is in the light, fists clinched and unsafe. You clever little buggers you!!!!
    Last edited by Bad Witch; 05-12-2018 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave fits with the art work and the description as well as The new picture of Trent/Atticus. Atticus is in the cave or dark, relaxed and at ease. Trent is in the light, fists clinched and unsafe. You clever little buggers you!!!!
    And reading further, the term "the physical world" is mentioned in the symbolism section.

Say hello to teitan for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentKliner View Post
    Probably way off the mark.. but, side-on, they kind of look like the markers on the ADD VIOLENCE machine meters...
    Thoughts?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjt View Post
    Probably way off the mark.. but, side-on, they kind of look like the markers on the ADD VIOLENCE machine meters...
    Thoughts?
    That was tossed out there a while back when AV's art first dropped. I think it was just absorbed into the hive mind...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, In the allegory of the cave, they are watching a simulation that just happens to be, not the actual events..I'll see myself out.
    Last edited by Bad Witch; 05-12-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I put this on reddit, but I'll put it here too. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UwL...oaS4M4oOU/view

put on your tin foil hat. Sorry if this is a little bit jumbled. This is a theory based on some stuff I've read on here and some stuff I thought about on my own and with some friends on a discord. I'm aware I may get downvoted and I may well delete this.
    I started thinking the albums were parallels to each other but now I'm back to thinking that background world may lead into another one of the songs. But the 5 acts still stand.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    I put this on reddit, but I'll put it here too. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UwL...oaS4M4oOU/view

put on your tin foil hat. Sorry if this is a little bit jumbled. This is a theory based on some stuff I've read on here and some stuff I thought about on my own and with some friends on a discord. I'm aware I may get downvoted and I may well delete this.
    I started thinking the albums were parallels to each other but now I'm back to thinking that background world may lead into another one of the songs. But the 5 acts still stand.
    This is nice, it's always cool to read a personal interpretation. Though to share it, you should adapt to the website and put the text directly into your post (+ comments if it's too long). Easier to read.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    So, In the allegory of the cave, they are watching a simulation that just happens to be, not the actual events..I'll see myself out.
    It's not that it's not the actual events, it's that the shadows are only that, faded representations of what's real or, as Plato put it, the Ideal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    It's not that it's not the actual events, it's that the shadows are only that, faded representations of what's real or, as Plato put it, the Ideal.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Oh jesus please don't shoot me

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Bad Witch is such a strange title that it's made me wonder if the three album titles create an anagram.

Nottheactualeventsaddviolencebadwitch

I've been messing with the letters a bit.
    You can make out
    "It's too late," " evidence, " evil" or "lives" or "alive."

something like this wouldn't surprise me: remember the TPD sticker with the alphanumeric code?