Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1614

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Did you see the Mondo vinyl pressing of the Fight Club soundtrack? I feel like we both flipped out about it, maybe I'm wrong - where you have to literally and irreversibly rip the jacket in half to open it. Such a fucking cool idea. (And you'd better believe I have an extra unopened copy!)

I'd actually love to see more ideas like that implemented in NIN's vinyl releases, at least once. TR could probably come up with a interesting way to utilize that. Nothing over-the-top, but some kind of permanently-damaging aspect to the packaging that the user has to execute to get to the music inside. Not quite like the black powder, but that was really fucking close.

Edit: I JUST realized what thread I posted this in, heh. But you get me.
    i believe we did geek out about it and i bemoaned not being able to throw money at it at the time (and didn't, again, when it got re-pressed, sadly) <3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyshallow View Post
    I know most of you will probably laugh at this stuff.
    But between arguing about the difference between an EP and an LP, making fun of Quantum or whatever the fuck his name is, and people belittling others for trying to find clues, I feel it's a little disappointing that my fellow ETSers haven't been looking more deeply into artwork + lyrical connections, and trying to connect the dots.

Honestly, it's surprising to me that the same community who were compelled to spectrogram songs in the YZ era, are now dismissive and frustrated at one another for crying ARG Wolf. There's been a surplus of interesting material here, and every day I check back, looking for someone to have snatched a clue, or make some interesting connection, only to find more boring BS about Vinyl, distribution, and CD releases. There's gonna be a fucking CD. Relax. It's been the most boring, pointless arguments I've ever read in this community, and it's disheartening since this has been the most fruitful, creative period of NIN's career in 10 years.

When Year Zero came out, we had a fucking thread for each SONG. It was awesome. Everyone could talk about that specific song in the appropriate thread, and discuss THE paramount element of this entire forum: The music.

Now, we have a big megathread of essentially random horseshit and no coherent, linear discussion. I don't give a fuck about Digital vs vinyl vs potato. Go to a tech forum and talk about it there. Let's talk about how amazing The Background World is. Let's talk about the lyrical connections. Let's talk about the fucking BAND.

Anyway, yeah. You're all going to laugh at probably ALL of this stuff I'm about to post. But I sincerely want to see more people trying to capitalize on this era of NIN.

First, I'll say that I agree with the proposed simulation / alternate reality concept. Trent has discussed this in Song Exploder. But how far back does it go? Hesitation Marks? The slip? Someone mentioned the lyrical themes, I don't remember exactly what they said, but it connected with me. There are also visual cues that connect the work together.

The next thing I want to say is that I was fucking stoked and excited when someone came across "schizophreniasdiary." I'm sorry, but I think people have been way too dismissive of this. Thematically, aesthetically, and conceptually it's WAY to similar to NTAE to be a coincidence.
    The fact that moral / ethical questions were raised by the discovery of this site adds an eerie, creepy element to it that got tossed out for the "protection" of this (as of yet unidentified or responsive) individual.

I believe Trent is taking "Paul is Dead" to the digital age, and it's fucking brilliant. It's up to us to find the clues.

Anyway, maybe I'm completely wrong. Probably am. But these releases have had me more excited about music than what any other artist has done in about 10 years.

Laugh it up. I'm not a fucking detective, and I don't claim to have any answers. I wasn't quick to find stuff with YZ, but I loved watching it all unfold.
    It'd be really cool to see more cooperation!

Lollersk8z *HUGZ*

One last thing "The world is bleeding out, it folds itself in two" Has anyone tried folding the artwork to any of the releases? Like a Mad Magazine sort of thing?

I agree with 100% of everything here. I have always thought it went back pretty far though. As early as The Fragile era? That was our first clue. The artwork for NTAE and AATCHB. I think it goes VERY deep and it is amazing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't give a fuck about Digital vs vinyl vs potato
    i prefer potato
    Last edited by Kyle; 05-25-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    First, I'll say that I agree with the proposed simulation / alternate reality concept. Trent has discussed this in Song Exploder. But how far back does it go? Hesitation Marks? The slip? Someone mentioned the lyrical themes, I don't remember exactly what they said, but it connected with me. There are also visual cues that connect the work together.
    I would have to go back and find it, but I posted awhile back (I believe it was in the "Random NIN Thoughts" thread) that The Slip could refer to a time slip. How did I slip into this? Our narrator seemingly begins this part of the story disorientied, confused, but not all together unaware that something is going on or has gone on. This record, overall, seems to be about rebirth. You could even say the lines in "1,000,000": "Put the gun, in my mouth, close your eyes, blow my fucking brains out" is a reference back to The Downward Spiral.

The Fragile always struck me as Dante's Inferno or perhaps the entire Divine Comedy. I personally have little doubt, especially with the backwards songs on the NTAE vinyl, that "this" has been going on probably from the beginning but was apparent (to the narrator) at the end of TDS. Reinterpreting the themes of PHM and Broken on a macro sense, it's about someone trapped in a machine, but thinking it's just the "way of the world". Obviously, this is simplifying a great deal, but I don't believe there to be any solid through line for the "Nine Inch Nails Background World" (at the moment). Not all of these stories are chronologically linear, which I think complicates things.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You could even say the lines in "1,000,000": "Put the gun, in my mouth, close your eyes, blow my fucking brains out" is a reference back to The Downward Spiral.
    I thought that song was always known as being related thematically to TDS considering the title and line "I feel a million miles away" is a continuation of "If I could start again a million miles away" from Hurt, I never knew this wasn't commonly accepted. The Slip always felt like an album full of references to other NIN albums with Letting You reusing the AIR flag, Lights in the Sky feeling like Still-era NIN, Head Down feeling like a continuation of Right Where It Belongs' lyrics, etc. Intentional or not that album ties back to a lot of past NIN and considering it was going to be "the last" NIN album for a while it makes sense they may have intentionally looked back for inspiration and thematic closure.

Also since this is the place to mention ways these EPs connect and connect to other albums, I don't know if anyone's mentioned the "NATURE IT IS VIOLENT, THE VERY NATURE OF THIS IS VIOLENT" line from In Two tying into the title of Add Violence. If nature is violent add violence means add nature/add realism, ie., add something real to the equation rather than simply slipping way and off into a fantasy world like the narrator of NTAE and Add Violence seems eager to do up until the moment of (very terrible) clarity that Background World provides.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 05-26-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @kleiner352 , i rather like your take on the meaning of "violence" in this context.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Wanted to include these images for context: what if these are meant to be "snapshots" of memories along a timeline?

Also:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Re: Reversed TDS tracks on the NTAE vinyl.
    I Looked but couldn't find if anyone:

1. Listened to the NTAE EP tracks in reverse to see if there is any hidden shiz?

2. Tried phase cancelling the TDS tracks from NTAE with the original tracks.. ŕ la Red Horse Vector?

Probably nothing to see here, but... I am trying to believe
    Last edited by mikeyjt; 06-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjt View Post
    Re: Reversed TDS tracks on the NTAE vinyl.
    I Looked but couldn't find if anyone:

1. Listened to the NTAE EP tracks in reverse to see if there is any hidden shiz?

2. Tried phase cancelling the TDS tracks from NTAE with the original tracks.. ŕ la Red Horse Vector?

Probably nothing to see here, but... I am trying to believe

1&2. Someone probably did both already. This is the forum that figured out the majority of the YZ ARG - it's been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajoobatron View Post
    1&2. Someone probably did both already. This is the forum that figured out the majority of the YZ ARG - it's been done.
    Yes, I remember participating in the YZ ARG on here like it was yesterday. Hoping this is part 2 ☺ if I recall correctly, we had separate threads for everything so it seemed easier to keep track of what stones had been turned
    Last edited by mikeyjt; 06-04-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bajoobatron View Post
    Not necessarily. There are several very vocal people who insist there is no ARG, narrative, or anything else of the sort. Progress is slow. Tbh, it feels like the idea's been given up on.

Hoping there'll be more pieces to the puzzle with Bad Witch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Not necessarily. There are several very vocal people who insist there is no ARG, narrative, or anything else of the sort. Progress is slow. Tbh, it feels like the idea's been given up on.

Hoping there'll be more pieces to the puzzle with Bad Witch.
    Agreed.

In 2007, we smashed through the puzzles pretty quickly..
    We've either been given more difficult puzzles, or the pieces are there to put us in the crazed mindset of the protagonist.

God, give us a sign. *cough*

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjt View Post
    Agreed.

In 2007, we smashed through the puzzles pretty quickly..
    We've either been given more difficult puzzles, or the pieces are there to put us in the crazed mindset of the protagonist.

God, give us a sign. *cough*
    Hasn't the Year Zero arrived to a dead end too ? Last thing found was the Red Horse Vector I think.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Hasn't the Year Zero arrived to a dead end too ? Last thing found was the Red Horse Vector I think.

****Flash backs to my senior year in college circa March 2007****

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    I thought the last thing discovered was hourofarroval.net...

Something I've always felt is that the real final piece of the whole YZ ARG was The Slip. Since the first time I heard it and, literally, every subsequent listen, I see it as the album that the Nine Inch Nails from the YZ ARG, the Nine Inch Nails that exist in 2022, would have released. Year Zero itself was about that world at the time and our world in 2007 and connections between the two, but The Slip always struck me as something more concrete. The lyrics and artwork and instrumentation feel like something from that version of 2022.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    the Nine Inch Nails that exist in 2022
    What's funny is that 2022 isn't all that far away. I wonder if NIN is going to take a hiatus for the next 4 years after Bad Witch and drop a full-length (possibly double) album around that time.

It's just such a specific date. It'd be weird if it were ignored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what's funny is that 2022 isn't all that far away. I wonder if nin is going to take a hiatus for the next 4 years after bad witch and drop a full-length (possibly double) album around that time.

YZ Pt. 2? ☺

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    What's funny is that 2022 isn't all that far away. I wonder if NIN is going to take a hiatus for the next 4 years after Bad Witch and drop a full-length (possibly double) album around that time.

I'd be down with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey here's a random post you all can comfortably ignore i just haven't figured where to post it (although you might've gone through this)

watching some night mind videos i came across this - less than video we all know and some discussion had been put up back at that time regarding the "polybius" reference, but this video came up a little later than the add violence release and i'm only watching it now

this gives some solid-ass basis for the trilogy concept. not that we don't already believe it. it's just a fun fact. watching it right now

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicoler View Post
    hey here's a random post you all can comfortably ignore i just haven't figured where to post it (although you might've gone through this)

watching some night mind videos i came across this - less than video we all know and some discussion had been put up back at that time regarding the "polybius" reference, but this video came up a little later than the add violence release and i'm only watching it now

this gives some solid-ass basis for the trilogy concept. not that we don't already believe it. it's just a fun fact. watching it right now
    Has anyone tried putting anything from Add Violence into a Polybius square?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Has anyone tried putting anything from Add Violence into a Polybius square?
    At this point someone has tried everything. People have even tried things that have left reality behind and seemingly work on some sort of moon logic. If there was something to find, and we hadn't found it by now, someone from the NIN camp would have logged on here in a new account and given us a push in the right direction. If any secret code is cracked, it will be after the new album releases, because nothing more is hidden in the last two releases.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    At this point someone has tried everything. People have even tried things that have left reality behind and seemingly work on some sort of moon logic. If there was something to find, and we hadn't found it by now, someone from the NIN camp would have logged on here in a new account and given us a push in the right direction. If any secret code is cracked, it will be after the new album releases, because nothing more is hidden in the last two releases.
    I dig your confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolick Shiawase View Post
    There's unsung lyrics in The Lovers:
    coliseum calling with its night that could last forever
    breathing moments
    perfect

take me
    take all that’s left
    i am free
    finally
    combined and perfect
    finally

"Combined and perfect" along with the callback to Dear World, seems to be saying something.

EDIT: Together, they sound jumbled, even inverted. Nothing but lyrics are found in this song.
    RE-EDIT: Maybe the lyrics are what need to be combined?
    I think "colosseum calling.." and "please don't leave me here with you" can be heard in the rehearsal video.. interesting...

How we get these added to ninwiki?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This doesn’t directly relate to Add Violence, but I was reading a the artwork deconstruction posts a few posts back and had to throw this out there. I was listening to The Next Day the other night, and while looking at the artwork something struck me. The Next Day artwork completely subverts the Heroes cover, as does NTAE with Still. With all the Bowie prominence/references of late, I thought maybe there was a connection there.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJ View Post
    This doesn’t directly relate to Add Violence, but I was reading a the artwork deconstruction posts a few posts back and had to throw this out there. I was listening to The Next Day the other night, and while looking at the artwork something struck me. The Next Day artwork completely subverts the Heroes cover, as does NTAE with Still. With all the Bowie prominence/references of late, I thought maybe there was a connection there.
    I feel this, kinda. Mainly, because of “this isn’t the place” for obvious reasons. When he says “and if you see my friend” it makes me think his friend is someone he hasn’t spoken to in awhile. I guess it could be anyone who who misses someone but the vibe said Bowie to me that first listen.

That song brings all the feels.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Given today's interview on NIN.com I think we can finally put this stupid thread to bed. Next best thing to having a time machine.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Turns out it was an anti-arg to make us as hopeless as Trent. Great, this record is now even bleaker.

It's not a stupid thread, he just confirmed he really was playing with us. But in the end, nothing matters and we're all shit. Was an honor to play with you lads.

edit : wait a minute what are those liner notes on the vinyl sleeve ?
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 06-21-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Given today's interview on NIN.com I think we can finally put this stupid thread to bed. Next best thing to having a time machine.
    I'm glad that the whole ARG thing can also be "put to bed", although it was, and has always been in question (your title also questioned its existance!).

I followed it and assisted with the machines, documentation and stuff like that. I do hope he continues to build and expand the machines. I was and still am very intrigued in what he had, or has in mind with that concept. I swear he at some point mentioned "world building", I feel as if he (or the community) labeled it that way and detached the whole "ARG" thing then a different direction would have been taken in regards to community involvement/reaction.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    I'm glad that the whole ARG thing can also be "put to bed", although it was, and has always been in question (your title also questioned its existance!).

I followed it and assisted with the machines, documentation and stuff like that. I do hope he continues to build and expand the machines. I was and still am very intrigued in what he had, or has in mind with that concept. I swear he at some point mentioned "world building", I feel as if he (or the community) labeled it that way and detached the whole "ARG" thing then a different direction would have been taken in regards to community involvement/reaction.
    Seeing that cover, back cover, the comments about how cover art being "important" (or whatever the exact wording was) it was hard not to go immediately to "OH FUCK ANOTHER PUZZLE" but after a while it was clearly not going anywhere. Was there a deeper meaning? Yes? Probably? Maybe? But was it participatory in the way we all hoped? Most definitely not. The codes in the AV PC were (still are) intriguing...I'd love to see Trent comment on this...but overall the horse was beat dead long ago.

That said, I'm happy with the way it all played out. I think the EPs weave an interesting story even if it didn't end up going the way originally intended.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    "There aren't any answers here. Not the ones you came looking for".
    Can't help but wonder if that isn't intended for the listener as well. That we were hoping for some kind of resolution, answers to our questions, solution to our puzzle. We are left with mystery instead.