Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1614

Thread: Add Violence Back Cover...ARG?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    ch

"It's too late. Bend, cut the evil and we advance " (for instance) leaves only a "c" and an "h."

Idk about an arg, but am I onto something here? A hidden message?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Bad Witch is such a strange title that it's made me wonder if the three album titles create an anagram.

Nottheactualeventsaddviolencebadwitch

I've been messing with the letters a bit.
    You can make out
    "It's too late," " evidence, " evil" or "lives" or "alive."

something like this wouldn't surprise me: remember the TPD sticker with the alphanumeric code?
    Title of the 3-disc collectors edition confirmed!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Title of the 3-disc collectors edition confirmed!

seriously though, i keep moving the letters around and feel like i'm onto something. "it's too late. bend, cut the evil, and we advance ch" for instance

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Looks like a stretch to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Can't wait for people to bend and cut their BW vinyl looking for hidden messages though

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Stretching is good for your creativity. Also, it gives Trent goosebumps.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    yeah well, I tried. Honestly, I look for anagrams and alphanumeric codes in everything. I'm kind of ocd about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Idk about an arg, but am I onto something here? A hidden message?
    Maybe not on to something, but it's a good game to play while waiting for further information.

"evil" could also be "devil". Take the d from "bend" and make it "bench"

"Too late. Cut the devil's bench and we advance". Still misses i, t and a deeper meaning. ;-)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    Stretching is good for your creativity. Also, it gives Trent goosebumps.
    Its also good for the gluteus maximus, medius, and minimus... so I’ve heard.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Okay, needless conspiracy theory of the day: was the leak intentional?

GO!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I really regret starting this thread.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

GO!
    I mean...it showed up on the official NIN YouTube, so...yes? Unless someone clicked "public" instead of "private". Can we still blame Leo for stuff?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Can we still blame Leo for stuff?
    Is Leo still around?? I haven't heard his name in forever!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Goddamn I'm blasting this on my A2s and goddamn what a song! This is so badass and sounds totally different to what I was hearing on my shitty headphones earlier.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To anyone who thinks this won't translate live, get yourself some GOOD speakers and turn it up! You will change your mind in an instant.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Is Leo still around?? I haven't heard his name in forever!
    Whenever something fucks up, I blame him. Sandbag/Firebrand? Leo.
    New single leaks? Leo.
    Tapeworm masters get lost? Leo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post

GO!
    I think it is really odd that this still isn't officially available. If this was meant to be released today I think it would have been out by now. Kind of makes me think there was a different issue besides someone accidentally clicking "public." Also, since this is not the track that was teased in the original announcement, maybe this is not the single that was to be released? Was this already discussed?
    Last edited by buckaroo; 05-16-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I think it is really odd that this still isn't officially available. If this was meant to be released today I think it would have been out by now. Kind of makes me think there was a different issue besides someone accidentally clicking "public." Also, since this is not the track that was teased in the original announcement, maybe this is not the single that was to be released? Was this already discussed?
    Maybe there was a video that got shit-canned at the last minute again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has been referenced before, but the marks on NTAE, Add Violence, and Bad Witch look a bit like the cover of NIN's first release, Down In It.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm super behind on stuff, so forgive me if I am not presenting anything new, but based on the Beats One interview I can't help but wonder if the conclusion of the focus of the ARG shifts from alternative realities existing to alternative realities being a construct as a means of escapism. Trent said that at our core we are rotten, but many people have difficulty coming to terms with that. So in a world where the government drugs the population and seeks to control them just because the can, it wouldn't be a stretch for some people to "see shadows" and convince themselves that there's an outside force like the Presence behind it or that there are alternate realities where things are different. It's simply easier to accept the ridiculous than the truth that we make choices that allow bad things to happen to ourselves or others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izo View Post
    Apologies if this has been referenced before, but the marks on NTAE, Add Violence, and Bad Witch look a bit like the cover of NIN's first release, Down In It.

Every time I see this my brain screams “hesitation marks” for no particular reason other than “that’s what it looks like. Do think it’s significant though as it ties the three albums together in a visual sense where as add violence is otherwise strikingly different

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpidersEverywhere View Post
    Every time I see this my brain screams “hesitation marks” for no particular reason other than “that’s what it looks like. Do think it’s significant though as it ties the three albums together in a visual sense where as add violence is otherwise strikingly different
    I see "hesitation marks" too. There is a similar design on the left side of the HM album cover.

The marks on NTAE, AV and BD are also reminiscent of the salt and teeth from the Downward Spiral era.

and now I'm realizing that it is similar to the With Teeth era artwork too.

edit: fixed links
    Last edited by izo; 05-22-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by izo View Post

Can someone rotate the BAD WITCH picture so that the dark spots line up with the KNOBS on the ADD VIOLENCE COVER? IS this anything>?? I would, but i dont know how to do it because Im a noob.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I know most of you will probably laugh at this stuff.
    But between arguing about the difference between an EP and an LP, making fun of Quantum or whatever the fuck his name is, and people belittling others for trying to find clues, I feel it's a little disappointing that my fellow ETSers haven't been looking more deeply into artwork + lyrical connections, and trying to connect the dots.

Honestly, it's surprising to me that the same community who were compelled to spectrogram songs in the YZ era, are now dismissive and frustrated at one another for crying ARG Wolf. There's been a surplus of interesting material here, and every day I check back, looking for someone to have snatched a clue, or make some interesting connection, only to find more boring BS about Vinyl, distribution, and CD releases. There's gonna be a fucking CD. Relax. It's been the most boring, pointless arguments I've ever read in this community, and it's disheartening since this has been the most fruitful, creative period of NIN's career in 10 years.

When Year Zero came out, we had a fucking thread for each SONG. It was awesome. Everyone could talk about that specific song in the appropriate thread, and discuss THE paramount element of this entire forum: The music.

Now, we have a big megathread of essentially random horseshit and no coherent, linear discussion. I don't give a fuck about Digital vs vinyl vs potato. Go to a tech forum and talk about it there. Let's talk about how amazing The Background World is. Let's talk about the lyrical connections. Let's talk about the fucking BAND.

Anyway, yeah. You're all going to laugh at probably ALL of this stuff I'm about to post. But I sincerely want to see more people trying to capitalize on this era of NIN.

First, I'll say that I agree with the proposed simulation / alternate reality concept. Trent has discussed this in Song Exploder. But how far back does it go? Hesitation Marks? The slip? Someone mentioned the lyrical themes, I don't remember exactly what they said, but it connected with me. There are also visual cues that connect the work together.

The next thing I want to say is that I was fucking stoked and excited when someone came across "schizophreniasdiary." I'm sorry, but I think people have been way too dismissive of this. Thematically, aesthetically, and conceptually it's WAY to similar to NTAE to be a coincidence.
    The fact that moral / ethical questions were raised by the discovery of this site adds an eerie, creepy element to it that got tossed out for the "protection" of this (as of yet unidentified or responsive) individual.

I believe Trent is taking "Paul is Dead" to the digital age, and it's fucking brilliant. It's up to us to find the clues.

Anyway, maybe I'm completely wrong. Probably am. But these releases have had me more excited about music than what any other artist has done in about 10 years.

Laugh it up. I'm not a fucking detective, and I don't claim to have any answers. I wasn't quick to find stuff with YZ, but I loved watching it all unfold.
    It'd be really cool to see more cooperation!

Lollersk8z *HUGZ*

One last thing "The world is bleeding out, it folds itself in two" Has anyone tried folding the artwork to any of the releases? Like a Mad Magazine sort of thing?

Last edited by mercyshallow; 05-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyshallow View Post
    One last thing "The world is bleeding out, it folds itself in two" Has anyone tried folding the artwork to any of the releases? Like a Mad Magazine sort of thing
    no, because that would destroy the packaging

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Hmm. Maybe! But for someone who loves to "manipulate media" as much as Trent, + the fact that he wanted us to pay attention to the Artwork for Add Violence tells me it might be worth checking it out, if not just a printed copy. Thank you for your reply! Not sure if you were trying to be sarcastic, but I was just throwing it out there.

I think the actual product and packaging of it is an issue separate from the concept of the art itself and it's presentation. Anyway, thanks again!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyshallow View Post
    I know most of you will probably laugh at this stuff.
    But between arguing about the difference between an EP and an LP, making fun of Quantum or whatever the fuck his name is, and people belittling others for trying to find clues, I feel it's a little disappointing that my fellow ETSers haven't been looking more deeply into artwork + lyrical connections, and trying to connect the dots.

Honestly, it's surprising to me that the same community who were compelled to spectrogram songs in the YZ era, are now dismissive and frustrated at one another for crying ARG Wolf. There's been a surplus of interesting material here, and every day I check back, looking for someone to have snatched a clue, or make some interesting connection, only to find more boring BS about Vinyl, distribution, and CD releases. There's gonna be a fucking CD. Relax. It's been the most boring, pointless arguments I've ever read in this community, and it's disheartening since this has been the most fruitful, creative period of NIN's career in 10 years.

When Year Zero came out, we had a fucking thread for each SONG. It was awesome. Everyone could talk about that specific song in the appropriate thread, and discuss THE paramount element of this entire forum: The music.

Now, we have a big megathread of essentially random horseshit and no coherent, linear discussion. I don't give a fuck about Digital vs vinyl vs potato. Go to a tech forum and talk about it there. Let's talk about how amazing The Background World is. Let's talk about the lyrical connections. Let's talk about the fucking BAND.

Anyway, yeah. You're all going to laugh at probably ALL of this stuff I'm about to post. But I sincerely want to see more people trying to capitalize on this era of NIN.

First, I'll say that I agree with the proposed simulation / alternate reality concept. Trent has discussed this in Song Exploder. But how far back does it go? Hesitation Marks? The slip? Someone mentioned the lyrical themes, I don't remember exactly what they said, but it connected with me. There are also visual cues that connect the work together.

The next thing I want to say is that I was fucking stoked and excited when someone came across "schizophreniasdiary." I'm sorry, but I think people have been way too dismissive of this. Thematically, aesthetically, and conceptually it's WAY to similar to NTAE to be a coincidence.
    The fact that moral / ethical questions were raised by the discovery of this site adds an eerie, creepy element to it that got tossed out for the "protection" of this (as of yet unidentified or responsive) individual.

I believe Trent is taking "Paul is Dead" to the digital age, and it's fucking brilliant. It's up to us to find the clues.

Anyway, maybe I'm completely wrong. Probably am. But these releases have had me more excited about music than what any other artist has done in about 10 years.

Laugh it up. I'm not a fucking detective, and I don't claim to have any answers. I wasn't quick to find stuff with YZ, but I loved watching it all unfold.
    It'd be really cool to see more cooperation!

Lollersk8z *HUGZ*

One last thing "The world is bleeding out, it folds itself in two" Has anyone tried folding the artwork to any of the releases? Like a Mad Magazine sort of thing?

This post is my ETS spirit animal. Thank you.

I personally don't feel there are 'purposeful' connections to HM, but I think TR definitely had a symbiotic relationship with the artwork of Russell Mills. And a lot of the imagery and promotional visuals that have accompanied the recent trilogy have only embellished and heightened their impact for me, IMO. I can't wait to listen to NTAE - AV - BW in order.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Did you see the Mondo vinyl pressing of the Fight Club soundtrack? I feel like we both flipped out about it, maybe I'm wrong - where you have to literally and irreversibly rip the jacket in half to open it. Such a fucking cool idea. (And you'd better believe I have an extra unopened copy!)

I'd actually love to see more ideas like that implemented in NIN's vinyl releases, at least once. TR could probably come up with a interesting way to utilize that. Nothing over-the-top, but some kind of permanently-damaging aspect to the packaging that the user has to execute to get to the music inside. Not quite like the black powder, but that was really fucking close.

Edit: I JUST realized what thread I posted this in, heh. But you get me.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-23-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I like that the same mark is on all three EP/LP covers but it doesn't look like the "Down in It" oscilloscope cover to me... maybe I just spend too much time looking at oscilloscopes.

My take on the panels on the front cover of Bad Witch are that they describe a story in a few stills. "Sunspots" / a traumatic Event, then the Presence/Slip hand reaching down/up, some kind of pestilence/death (like decaying animals in the live "Hurt" video), humans rising from the ashes, only to become enslaved by tech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I like that the same mark is on all three EP/LP covers but it doesn't look like the "Down in It" oscilloscope cover to me... maybe I just spend too much time looking at oscilloscopes.

My take on the panels on the front cover of Bad Witch are that they describe a story in a few stills. "Sunspots" / a traumatic Event, then the Presence/Slip hand reaching down/up, some kind of pestilence/death (like decaying animals in the live "Hurt" video), humans rising from the ashes, only to become enslaved by tech.
    I get that vibe.. but humans enslaving other humans with tech.