Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 1973

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Same. I've remixed a dozen or so songs, but for a few, I've just muted certain elements in order to highlight something else tucked away or less noticeable. "The Perfect Drug" is one of my favorite songs so I made a seven and a half minute version with the stems. I don't consider these better than the originals, just different and, in some cases, more enlightening. Also, the idea that someone could be pissed off about how anyone chooses to listen to Nine Inch Nails is kind of silly. Reznor released multi tracks SPECIFICALLY so people could fuck with, alter, and experiment on his work.
    Yep, I've done a lot of messing around with the multitracks that are out there, as well as making edits or extended versions of tracks just for shits and giggles. It's like I said in the Controversial Opinions thread: it's fun to play with how malleable art can be for your own pleasure.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Personally I find the loop kinda hypnotic and I wouldn't dream of skipping it

but when the song is played live he drops the loop so I don't think you're really doing anything new and crazy and anti-nin by doing the same

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    After that post something clicked and I think I "get it" now

when i listen to TBW straight through the breakdown is hypnotic and even a bit enticing and soothing (yes I'm weird). However, for example, say I'm driving in my car and listening to it and get where I'm going and turn it off. Then I get in my car to leave and I get hit with a wall of noise. What was hypnotic is now noise. It's like reality. When all the shit going on gets relegated to "the background world," it gradually gets worse and you can see it's getting worse but it's not "that bad" until you step away and reset yourself and then look and realize how fucked we are.

It's kinda like the boiling frog thing which isn't actually real but makes a good metaphor anyway

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Found this image during random internet browsing (at navratdoreality.cz) and you know what it reminded me of... :-)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    After that post something clicked and I think I "get it" now

when i listen to TBW straight through the breakdown is hypnotic and even a bit enticing and soothing (yes I'm weird). However, for example, say I'm driving in my car and listening to it and get where I'm going and turn it off. Then I get in my car to leave and I get hit with a wall of noise. What was hypnotic is now noise. It's like reality. When all the shit going on gets relegated to "the background world," it gradually gets worse and you can see it's getting worse but it's not "that bad" until you step away and reset yourself and then look and realize how fucked we are.

It's kinda like the boiling frog thing which isn't actually real but makes a good metaphor anyway
    thats a really great take that hadn’t occurred to me at all, thanks

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've been listening to The Background World a lot more than I thought I would, and that's definitely a very good thing to me. After I do that, I also noticed that I tend to listen to Less Than and Not Anymore afterwards, and just wind down with The Lovers and This Isn't The Place.

But when I just want a quick fix, I also just listen to Less Than and Not Anymore.

I know I'd also just said this before, but I think as of now, and especially as a whole, Add Violence is definitely my most favorite release out of the trilogy.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So, did anyone learn by now how to tap The Background World accurately, not messing up the offbeat ending?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Bump!

Everyone should be checking out what's being posted on this YouTube channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Bump!

Everyone should be checking out what's being posted on this YouTube channel
    and… it’s gone. Do you have the audio?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Works for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Works for me.
    Stuff uploaded today is gone (Less Than instrumental, Not Anymore uncut).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    They are back

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    They are back
    and they are gone again. This is a fun game.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Interesting stuff. I wonder where these are coming from.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm guessing these aren't the actual instrumentals. They sound more like someone taking the original tracks and using isolation filters on them.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm guessing these aren't the actual instrumentals. Based on how certain instruments seem to fade in volume at random points (or are missing altogether), they sound more like someone taking the original tracks and using isolation filters on them.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'm not saying I've got anything I can pass around but these match the instrumentals I've heard - although "Not Anymore" has more of a tail on it than I've heard on that track.

I don't believe that these are made by those vocal extraction tools that are out there. These match what was on Capitol Records CDs that were on eBay a while ago.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    A couple supposed "early versions" uploaded taken from "promo cds". Somewhat skeptical of these...
    Last edited by cdm; 01-17-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Early versions?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    A couple supposed "early versions" uploaded taken from "promo cds". Somewhat skeptical of these...
    I'm skeptical of the person who said "hey I put these on soulseek" and then when questioned said "oh I had to go to work, I don't know if I even did it right".

how can you be that bad at this if you know how to download from youtube?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    To be clear: the instrumental versions are out there ( @ninlive bought the promo CDs as mentioned in the auction thread). I’m just wondering what these supposed early versions are?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So wait, sorry if this is already being discussed elsewhere (can't find it if so), but: I had no idea this Background World master track CD existed! It seems like people have already noticed that it lists "CLOSER SNARE AND LOW LOOP STEM_01" as a track, and sure enough, on the leaked "early version" (probably just unmixed?) of the Background World on that channel, you can definitely recognize the snare in the final pre-breakdown section as being sampled from Closer (with a lot of reverb).

My question though, is: what on earth is "DEPECH GTR STEM_01"?? Is there a Depeche Mode sample in this song I'm not picking up on? I generally have a very good ear for samples, and know Depeche Mode's discography quite well, but can't figure out what it may be (if it even made it into the final track). Any ideas?

(Again, my apologies if this has already been thoroughly discussed elsewhere.)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    My question though, is: what on earth is "DEPECH GTR STEM_01"?? Is there a Depeche Mode sample in this song I'm not picking up on? I generally have a very good ear for samples, and know Depeche Mode's discography quite well, but can't figure out what it may be (if it even made it into the final track). Any ideas?
    Could be named after a guitar tone that sounds like Martin Gore/Depeche Mode I guess? I've seen many stems titled "sigur gtr" or something like that.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    The answer can be yours for a mere $5000!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I’m just wondering what these supposed early versions are?
    Same. Are these just fan-made tracks with some stems stripped away?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    To be clear: the instrumental versions are out there ( @ninlive bought the promo CDs as mentioned in the auction thread). I’m just wondering what these supposed early versions are?
    I think someone just took the "instrumental" and "acapella" tracks and put them together maybe.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I think someone just took the "instrumental" and "acapella" tracks and put them together maybe.
    To be clear, each of the 5 discs for each of the tracks contained a full song version, an instrumental version, and an acapella version, a la this disc: https://www.discogs.com/release/1446...ils-The-Lovers

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    To be clear, each of the 5 discs for each of the tracks contained a full song version, an instrumental version, and an acapella version, a la this disc: https://www.discogs.com/release/1446...ils-The-Lovers

According to the poster, the "main" tracks on the cdrs are not the final commercial versions but alternate, potentially rough mix versions. Am I understanding this correctly?

Edit: I am thoroughly fascinated by these tracks. The differences are subtle but obvious to us dorks.
    Last edited by cdm; 01-18-2022 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    According to the poster, the "main" tracks on the cdrs are not the final commercial versions but alternate, potentially rough mix versions. Am I understanding this correctly?
    In some cases. It's most obvious at a glance on something like Not Anymore where the track timing is different from the final version. I wouldn't call them "rough mixes" as that might imply a demo-level quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would not say these are demos, but they are different builds of the songs the background world the vocals sounded a bit more Rough if that makes sense, Not anymore is the most different from the album version, and does not instantly go into the next song, the vocals seem more pronounced at the end. Unmastered is what i would call these, they where probably finished a few months or so before the final album.

I love listening to demo material and different mixes of songs, i wish we could get even earlier versions.