Page 1 of 75 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandbag Watch - NIN and Sandbag part. Livenation picks up the pieces.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Sandbag Watch - NIN and Sandbag part. Livenation picks up the pieces.

Wow if that's really what the entire deviations package is we all got fucking ripped off.

---------------

Mod note:

Sandbag help desk:
    http://nin-helpdesk.sandbaguk.com/support/tickets/new

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh, lord, here we fucking go. "Oh no, I paid a premium for a limited edition thing and it didn't make me involuntarily shit rainbows upon arrival! I was ripped off!"

And here I thought we were all adults.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker973 View Post
    Oh, lord, here we fucking go. "Oh no, I paid a premium for a limited edition thing and it didn't make me involuntarily shit rainbows upon arrival! I was ripped off!"

Some people might feel ripped off but so far it seems like most of us are just saying "Well, it's nice, but it's a little more bare bones than we were hoping for," and that's totally fair. If it's childish to feel like you didn't get your money's worth then it's even more childish to sit and dismiss and deride the people who feel that way.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Looks like I'll be getting mine tomorrow!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

"Anyone who doesn't like the packaging isn't an adult"

- Tucker973

I haven't gotten mine yet, but Trent has a reputation when it comes to packaging, a good one. When the dude puts out the 4 record remaster of the fragile for $40 next to a 4 record release of b-sides and alternate versions of tracks of from that same album for $80 you expect a little more than bare bones packaging.

I'll reserve my full judgement until I open mine personally, but if what is pictured is fully representative of the actual release we were ripped off and taken advantage of.

But I haven't received my package yet, and I haven't experienced the entire product yet so we'll see.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Without looking at the photos (spoiler avoidance until I get mine) it sounds like we got exactly what we were told we were getting. After being given a chance to keep the digital files and get a complete refund, if you still feel like you didn't get your money's worth... that's kinda your fault.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So that wasn't a special edition Nine Inch Nails Lego Millennium Falcon that came with the vinyls?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    So that wasn't a special edition Nine Inch Nails Lego Millennium Falcon that came with the vinyls?
    Now that would be worth $80 (and then some)!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Remember Ghosts SE? That was $75.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Remember Ghosts SE? That was $75.
    Indeed. It included 2 CDs, a DVD-ROM of multitrack files, a Blu-ray Disc of the album featuring a 96khz/24bit digital mix of the album as well as a slideshow, and a hardcover 48-page booklet in a black fabric slipcase.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I think the tricky thing is that, since there's no digital download only option, the only money they're making from this is from those of us who were willing to shell out the $80, so in a way we're paying for its existence.

Look at it this way: Trent creates a Kickstarter page saying, "we want to do this cool instrumental, alternate version of The Fragile featuring lots of music you've never heard, but the only way we can justify it is if X people are willing to pay $80 for a vinyl and digital download. You won't be getting anything fancy, but we need that amount per person to justify doing it in the first place."

If you would have shelled out $80 for TF: D1 to be made and to get a copy when it was finished (granted plenty of people wouldn't), then you're not allowed to complain.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 06-28-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post

what's this thing? New ARG flag?

the most logical explanation is that it could be the "parental advisory explicit content" logo with no text, since there are no lyrics
    That was exactly what my thoughts were when I saw it too (that its the parental advisory logo without text). Weird...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    There's no mention of a book or anything like that on the product page (the Kickstarter comparison is very apt), so yeah. As far as the price, this still seems to be an Interscope product, and all of Trent's more innovative packaging after the music industry, uh, "re-structuring" has been on his independent releases.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can see how this one could be different, but I think some of us were seduced by the giant mission statement on excellent physical releases. Still need to see it in person. I have faith in the DEs having more to them, as they already had specific artwork assigned to fit the concept (unlike this release).

Written commentary material would have been nice (not that I was fully expecting it), as TF1 in itself serves as a partial commentary of-sorts to TF, supplying a view into the background workings of the tracks and what could have been.
    Last edited by blassster; 06-28-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    That shit looks great! I'm going to go buy another copy just to keep sealed before it sells out forever..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Without looking at the photos (spoiler avoidance until I get mine) it sounds like we got exactly what we were told we were getting. After being given a chance to keep the digital files and get a complete refund, if you still feel like you didn't get your money's worth... that's kinda your fault.
    Actually we weren't told much of anything about what we were getting. We knew it was vinyl, contained some new (awesome) artwork, and that it contained instrumental tracks from The Fragile. That was about it. The advertising campaign since December has been intentionally vague and mysterious. There was a .pdf that showed artwork that would be used, but no context on the packaging.

Modern vinyl packages come in a multitude of styles, some are simple (and well rendered) like this one, others are more elaborate. Such as things like plastic slipcases ala The Downward Spiral deluxe CD from 2005, or bound book style packaging like Radiohead's recent similarly priced vinyl release of Moon Shaped Pool, or Bowie's Blackstar album with it's die-cut cover and somewhat special ink/printing-material pairings. Hell the description on nin.com didn't even explicitly leave colored vinyl off the table (though the thumbnail picture was black so it was an easy assumption). As some have suggested, there was the hope that there might at least be some extended liner notes (and for the record, the liner notes in the vinyl set are somewhat different from the .pdf, so that was by no means an outlandish possibility).

The fact was, we all knew it might just be a simple, straightforward rendering of the .pdf we got in the download. Some (possibly many) of us thought that perhaps the disproportionately hefty price tag (it contained 33% more vinyl than The Fragile but cost a 77% markup) at least suggested that the packaging might be slightly more creative. Of course I have always tried to keep my expectations in check, and knew full well that the package might not end up being particularly elaborate and scaled to something more simple and tasteful (and in truth, that probably would be better in keeping with The Fragile and Carson's established style), however it was neither indicated nor denied that it could have been something more.
    Last edited by GentlemanLoser; 06-28-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You know, the world isn't quite so black and white as you seem to think it is. I wasn't expecting to shit rainbows, though for $80 I was expecting at least a few small flourishes (though the blank parental advisory was a really nice touch).

Like I got Year Zero for less than a third of that price and it was a 2LP with an etching on one of the discs and a large liner-note's booklet with secrets.

For the record (pun!) though, I am still really looking forward to this arriving at my doorstep. Even more so at getting all the goodies in August (hopefully right around my birthday).
    Last edited by GentlemanLoser; 06-28-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Seeing those pictures actually makes me wish that I had pre-ordered. I dig the minimalism & I could imagine it is far more graceful holding it in your hands

All I ordered was the The Fragile reissue, might put in another order for this & Broken

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    "Anyone who doesn't like the packaging isn't an adult"

- Tucker973

I haven't gotten mine yet, but Trent has a reputation when it comes to packaging, a good one. When the dude puts out the 4 record remaster of the fragile for $40 next to a 4 record release of b-sides and alternate versions of tracks of from that same album for $80 you expect a little more than bare bones packaging.

I'll reserve my full judgement until I open mine personally, but if what is pictured is fully representative of the actual release we were ripped off and taken advantage of.

But I haven't received my package yet, and I haven't experienced the entire product yet so we'll see.
    Maybe it is Not The Actual Release...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I just grinned, my bud and I used to call miserable things "ripe with decay", no brackets intended.
    Trent is so particular with things, I wonder why he removed the parenthesis?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Trent is so particular with things, I wonder why he removed the parenthesis?
    Oh really ? It wasn't so particular with tons of things on last digital files... including artist name for AR+TR that were different on two legal albums, I know it's not the same, but I won't call him "particular with small details about track names"

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I quite like this. The artwork is minimal, with little pixel mosaics that remind me of that TDTWWA mini-site. However, seeing it now, I am so glad I cancelled my pre-order. It's lovely, yet not really what I'd expect for over £80.

It'll probably become one of the rarest halos ever. As someone who has every one to date, it sucks that we can't get this at a more affordable price. Making the vinyl limited is okay, but how about a CD version that's easier to get hold of? The same goes for the rest of the vinyl-exclusive library. Digital just feels so disposable.

Oh well. You can't have everything, and more importantly, you can't take it with you. I'm okay with that. Bring on the next EP.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I got the email notification so I should be getting it soon here in Spain.
    I don't know if the NTAE Physical Component is still coming or not with the Vinyl though. As I still haven't got mine.

I was hoping for a few extra notes or something unique about it. Possibliy this isn't the REAL The Fragile Super Special Edition....

Probably my last couple of NIN purchases for a while.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think the minimalist packaging kind of works and am really not at all disappointed. This was described as a deconstruction of what is seen as a very elaborate record, and we definitely go that. I just don't think many of us took the term deconstruction as literal. So, having the packaging being what it is does make some sense. I mean, what were we all expecting? Lyric sheets? As long as the record plays, I am good.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I got the email notification so I should be getting it soon here in Spain.
    I don't know if the NTAE Physical Component is still coming or not with the Vinyl though. As I still haven't got mine.
    I was hoping for a few extra notes or something unique about it. Possibliy this isn't the REAL The Fragile Super Special Edition....
    I think you should start to complain about it, you can mail them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    I think you should start to complain about it, you can mail them.
    The last email I got from them is we will ship it when its in stock, the Physical Component that is. No Rush I guess.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

In case you want to save ~50 bucks plus shipping when Apple Music Exclu Deviations 2 goes up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I appreciate others echoing my sentiments with more thoughtful responses than my initial reaction. The fact is we are superfans willingly paying for a very, very niche product. We're the same morons who overspend on concert tickets for shows that wind up being relatively run-of-the-mill. This is the fan tax. I know not everyone is or will be pleased with what we receive, but as others pointed out, I'm sure they will honor refunds of unopened packages and even gave us the option before the thing shipped.

This isn't the first time in *this release cycle* that people got their expectations up (unnecessarily) and were disappointed (hop on over to the NTAE physical component thread!). If you feel like you were fleeced or something, that's perfectly valid and you're welcome to be more cautious in the future. But such is life. Live and learn or make more informed purchasing decisions, or be happy with what you've got.

Personally, NIN has been a huge part of my life for nearly three decades, so $80 for a limited edition reimagining of one of my favorite albums is next to nothing. I'm not well off by any means, and I've probably spent thousands of dollars in tickets. In 2006 following them in the tri-state area, I probably ate the cost of 5-6 tickets on friends who bailed and wasn't able to unload the extras. Did it suck? Sure! Was the Camden show that year not the best I ever saw? Probably! Does it make one ounce of difference in my life ten years later? Nope!

If you feel ripped off, PLEASE reach out and I'm sure they'll accept the return - I know I'll be interested to hear the response. Heck, I know from the NTAE thread that Tony's pretty good at sending customer service e-mails.

But, I'll let Trent school you a lesson:

Can I ask you something?
    What did you expect?
    So disappointed
    With what you get

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I know TRs intention has never been to take advantage of the fans financially, and has actually given away alot for free. So when it comes time to open my wallet for hundred dollar concert tickets or overpriced special editions that im not going to open, I have no qualms.

Plus come on, the guy has like 4 kids he has to feed now.