Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Nine Inch Nails in Twin Peaks.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    It's a wonderful, wonderful day when the internet is unanimous in The Nine Inch Nails being the most coherent thing about last night's episode..

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Shirt that please.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    This just makes me want to see them do a club tour
    A club show with lighting/visuals designed by David Lynch, please.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    More like Trent going full Rob Halford.
    I get a Sister's of Mercy vibe more than Rob....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Is it weird that seeing the visual for Gone Away on the show has legitimized the EP for me and suddenly the record feels important. There's a weight to the songs now that I can attach the themes of Twin Peaks to the listening experience.
    I get what you mean. When I see artists performing their music, it connects me even more to the music because I can just imagine it in my head as I hear the music.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 06-26-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    A club show with lighting/visuals designed by David Lynch, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it was only logical to have The Nine Inch Nails perform before the chaos that followed in this episode.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    This was so amazing it needs its own thread. Also holy shit apparently Joey Castillo is in the live band now.

Why do people love spoiler tags so much? I can't even read the text on my phone without directly replying to the post.

Anyway, Joey's not in the band, he confirmed it on Instagram. He said he did it just for the episode. Maybe Ilan was busy. Maybe Trent pulled an Adrian Belew again and realized he needed the established member again.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Why do people love spoiler tags so much? I can't even read the text on my phone without directly replying to the post.
    While I appreciate the spoiler tags, I just don't get why anyone would venture into a thread when they're not caught up on a show in the first place (TP is a special circumstance, of course).

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    I bet Christmas sucks at your house. Under the tree sits a bunch of boxes clearly for electronics, video games, toys, socks, and candy. While your children solemnly grab a pack of Hanes, you shout "Wrapping paper is a stupid fad! I have to pull a bunch of cheap paper off of my presents to see what they are?? That's bullshit!" while your wife and children weep, clutching their unwrapped 1lb milk chocolate Santa boxes before bolting off to their bedrooms and slamming their fully translucent doors behind them.

...that's why spoiler tags.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    hopefully this is meant as a humoristic approach. looks a little bit odd. leather and sunglasses...
    Can you imagine how badly Trent would sweat wearing that outfit at a summer festival? I think its a one-off for the show

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    .... before bolting off to their bedrooms and slamming their fully translucent doors behind them...
    This deserves more than just a 'like'

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    hopefully this is meant as a humoristic approach. looks a little bit odd. leather and sunglasses...
    he looked like a fucking badass

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Can you imagine how badly Trent would sweat wearing that outfit at a summer festival? I think its a one-off for the show
    Indeed. I saw it as a take on the 50's vibe of TP, but from the bad boy angle. While the Chromatics were all gussied up and playing vintage guitars, TNIN are the biker band from the wrong side of the tracks. They're who James listens to on his way to creep on Shelly.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 06-27-2017 at 02:17 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I bet Christmas sucks at your house. Under the tree sits a bunch of boxes clearly for electronics, video games, toys, socks, and candy. While your children solemnly grab a pack of Hanes, you shout "Wrapping paper is a stupid fad! I have to pull a bunch of cheap paper off of my presents to see what they are?? That's bullshit!" while your wife and children weep, clutching their unwrapped 1lb milk chocolate Santa boxes before bolting off to their bedrooms and slamming their fully translucent doors behind them.

...that's why spoiler tags.
    Yeah, kids hate finding out what their presents are ahead of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is this in episode 8? Can't wait to watch it tomorrow before work then. Only decided to watch TP because NIN were going to be in it. Loving it so far!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    This was most likely filmed over a year ago (the cast list was released in April 2016 listing TR, Q, and RF, filming wrapped around that time), so it was probably more of scheduling issue with Ilan.
    Based on Mariqueen's last few IG posts, she was way pregnant in September 2016 and was also pregnant (but less so) when they shot the video, so it was somewhere around mid-2016, when Ilan was running all over the place with his band.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    he looked like a fucking badass
    Damn right. I'm now excitedly expecting NIN to be rocking this look all the way through the summer shows (with all vegan 'leather' of course). Anything else and I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I'll take sweaty leather Trent anytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Afterwards, we were making wild theories about how this episode came to be so fucked up and bizarre - and I had this vision of Lynch pitching his plans to the co-writers/network executives, saying [imagine Lynchs best boyscout timbre:] "I would really like to be in charge of this one specific episode. All I need is Kyle MacLachlan for one night. I propse this: Mr. Reznor of THE Nine Inch Nails owes me a favor for this video I once shot in his man cave - so if I get him to perform for free on our program, would you agree to let me to use the rest of this episode to explore some of the more mythological aspects of Twin Peaks?"

"Sure David, we don't see what could be the harm in that...."
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 06-27-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Given we're still not even halfway through the season, does anyone thing we might get a second performance at some point later on?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Great look...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Great look...

I'm totally getting a beek vibe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Also Stallone on "Cobra" is spot on, lol...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was watching that episode and tbh I was NOT EXPECTING THIS ONE BE THE ONE and I nearly CHOKED TO DEATH ON MY WATER when the song started... I was legit shooketh. amazing episode overall as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So the week I decide to cancel my Showtime account and just catch up on Twin Peaks later....we get a full on Lynch-crazy episode with The Nine Inch Nails to boot. FML

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    This just makes me want to see them do a club tour
    Every time they tour, I hope it's a club tour. The Wave Goodbye shows kind of guaranteed that. As much as I love the high production spectacle of tours like Lights In The Sky and Tension, the intimacy of club venues and the low-key production making way for much more organic and surprising setlists (both in structure and content) makes them my preferred choice for a NIN show. Not to mention that the sound quality at the clubs that I've been too has been notably superior too. The one downside of club NIN shows (and it's a major one) is that the low occupancy means getting tickets is as nightmarish and stressful as possible.

Regarding the actual thread topic, Trent should be flattered that "the" Nine Inch Nails were included in the most brilliantly insane episode that the Showtime revival has produced thus far. And right in the middle of the episode, not relegated to the closing credits like most of the musical guests. I loved it and the whole goth biker look the band went with, felt very appropriate for the series. Actual performance audio is the only thing that would have made it better but I guess we'll be getting some of that soon enough.

Like others have suggested, I'm basically going to think of this as the official She's Gone Away music video. Especially since, even as a fairly traditional performance video, it utterly blows away Lynch's other recent (and in my opinion embarassingly vapid) collaboration with Trent, Came Back Haunted. God that was disappointing.