Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Kylo Ren's dad, aka Han Solo movie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Star Wars: Kylo Ren's dad, aka Han Solo movie

And we are off to a fantastic start:

http://comicbooksgalaxy.com/han-solo-director-fired/

ETA: I see this is being discussed in TLJ thread, but this movie deserves its own thread. I'm kind of "meh" towards this movie. I was far more excited about R1 and far more excited for TLJ. Firing the directors halfway through doesn't bode well. It happened for Superman II (although that was the oposite, as the new director made it more comical), but this may be a case of two many cooks in the kitchen.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-22-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    They could have done a lot worse.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I don't really know what to make of this one. Enjoyed episode VII and loved R1, but not sure i really care about a Han Solo movie. R1 worked as it explained that little plot point missing from a New Hope (how DID they get the Death Star plans) and had just enough to go on to make a fun movie, but i'm not sure there is anything like that for Han outside of the original trilogy. I'm guessing there are tones of novels on him, but i'm...just not excited for the idea of a young Han, no leia, no R2, no Jedi, no Vadar, just...yeah i'm just not on this train.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I don't really know what to make of this one. Enjoyed episode VII and loved R1, but not sure i really care about a Han Solo movie. R1 worked as it explained that little plot point missing from a New Hope (how DID they get the Death Star plans) and had just enough to go on to make a fun movie, but i'm not sure there is anything like that for Han outside of the original trilogy. I'm guessing there are tones of novels on him, but i'm...just not excited for the idea of a young Han, no leia, no R2, no Jedi, no Vadar, just...yeah i'm just not on this train.
    I much prefer the idea of an Obi Wan stand-alone with the great Ewan McGregor.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I mentioned Ron Howard yesterday in the other Star Wars thread. Looks like it's officially announced.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I guess a documentary about the Lord/Miller Han Solo movie will come very soon.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This movie looks like it's in trouble:

http://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-a...y-ace-ventura/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some things should just be left alone. We don't need another origin story, what happened to a little bit of mystery. Solo's world is full of criminals and scoundrels from a shadowy underworld. So let's keep it in the shadows. This is going to turn into a buddy cop film in space.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Vader may be in movie:
    http://screenrant.com/han-solo-movie...FB-P&view=list

Sounds like a dumb idea. It made sense to have Vader (and Tarkin) in Rouge One, as it involved the Death Star, but this just seems like fan service.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Vader may be in movie:
    http://screenrant.com/han-solo-movie...FB-P&view=list

Sounds like a dumb idea. It made sense to have Vader (and Tarkin) in Rouge One, as it involved the Death Star, but this just seems like fan service.
    Agreed, if this was planned from the beginning and was pivotal to the movie...sure why not, but it looks very much like they've added him after the fact just for fan service. This wouldn't be so annoying if the last little scene from Vader in RO wasn't so fucking awesome. This could end up being just fan service and very flat.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Filming has been completed....and we have the official title.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Filming has been completed....and we have the official title.

Meh.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This doesn't look good:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/d...ampaign=buffer

According to this article they had to reshoot 80 percent of the movie.

And this is pretty damning:

Disney is bracing themselves for the Han Solo movie to bomb. They were worried about it before all The Last Jedi controversy, but now they’re essentially writing Solo off. The lead actor, Alden Ehrenreich, can’t act, and they had a dialogue coach on hand for all of his scenes. On top of that, the script is unworkable. It’s going to be a car crash.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I have minimal interest in this anyways. I like the Han Solo character and a movie with his backstory is neat but also damning to the mysterious character origins. I don't feel its necessary at all, though I will see it as a curiosity sake. It'll be hard to see someone else portray the character other than Ford and if the above article is true about this guy being green it's going to be flat.

Backstory fill-ins could make or break a character. Case in point one of my favorite SW characters in Boba Fett. He went from a hardly speaking, shadowy badass bounty hunter with no origins of how he came to be to a child clone of an imbecile in Attack of The Clones with the disastrous Jango Fett. It completely made the character come from a backstory of sucking.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 12-25-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I have minimal interest in this anyways. I like the Han Solo character and a movie with his backstory is neat but also damning to the mysterious character origins. I don't feel its necessary at all, though I will see it as a curiosity sake. It'll be hard to see someone else portray the character other than Ford and if the above article is true about this guy being green it's going to be flat.

Backstory fill-ins could make or break a character. Case in point one of my favorite SW characters in Boba Fett. He went from a hardly speaking, shadowy badass bounty hunter with no origins of how he came to be to a child clone of an imbecile in Attack of The Clones with the disastrous Jango Fett. It completely made the character come from a backstory of sucking.
    This movie may have been alright, if unnecessary, but the negative buzz, rewrites and the leaks that the LEAD ACTOR can't act in his own movie have lowered the bar pretty low for me. Right on the money with Boba Fett. His backstory is AOTC was atrocious and completely shoehorned in. Same with the origins of 3CP0--why was Anakin the creator? It made ZERO sense. I know some people have been critical of TLJ (which I loved), but thank God Lucas is no longer involved. He's a creative guy but a shit writer/director.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hope this looses Disney ALOT of money.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I hope this looses Disney ALOT of money.
    It's a mistake to churn out a new Star Wars movie every year. Fatigue is going to set in. A new movie every 3-4 years would be better, as EON (James Bond production company) will tell you.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    It's a mistake to churn out a new Star Wars movie every year. Fatigue is going to set in. A new movie every 3-4 years would be better, as EON (James Bond production company) will tell you.
    I agree. I said that when they bought and announced the franchise moving forward. This is not a series that can be done every year without getting diluted after awhile.

In a side note, I read an article that more or less confirmed an Obi-Wan Kenobi film, which is set to begin filming in 2019 I believe. I say Ewan McGregor gets the role or don't bother.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I agree. I said that when they bought and announced the franchise moving forward. This is not a series that can be done every year without getting diluted after awhile.

In a side note, I read an article that more or less confirmed an Obi-Wan Kenobi film, which is set to begin filming in 2019 I believe. I say Ewan McGregor gets the role or don't bother.
    Agreed 100 percent. I have some serious issues with the prequels, but McGregor shined. His performance in scenes like this saves AOTC from being totally unredeemable.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Not sure if /r/prequelmemes ruined these scenes for me, or made them better.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow, Christian Bale says he was in talks to be in 'Solo' but that it didn't work out. Also says he still wants to be in a Star Wars movie. Would be so sick.

edit: I know it's random, but if somehow he ends up as Boba Fett, I'll lose my fuckin' shit.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    edit: I know it's random, but if somehow he ends up as Boba Fett, I'll lose my fuckin' shit.
    Only if he kept his helmet on or it was somehow explained that the name became something like The Phantom, passed down through generations. I would really hate to see the role taken away from Tem Morrison.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Only if he kept his helmet on or it was somehow explained that the name became something like The Phantom, passed down through generations. I would really hate to see the role taken away from Tem Morrison.
    Oh absolutely...I don't see it happening. Would just be baddass, haha...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    More reshoots?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yep. And it looks like the leaked promo artwork is for the toys as the Lego sets were revealed and had the orange and white color scheme.

Some of the set names have spoilers, though the most obvious one isn't much of a surprise. Click at your own risk.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front...ics_178195.asp

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dead link, think it might have been taken down. Was it the same ones like the pic of the Spoiler: sort of narrower Millennium Falcon with the blue coloring, etc.?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    ...so we should be getting a trailer soon right?...RIGHT?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quite possibly the least informative official movie synopsis a studio has ever released:

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in "Solo: A Star Wars Story," an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga's most unlikely heroes.
    "Solo: A Star Wars Story" releases in U.S. theaters on May 25, 2018.